Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

I wouldn't be able to make any lists of favourite GD songs. It's just too hard to rank. Although if I did, I'm sure there wouldn't be any insomniac, nimrod, 1,039 or kerplunk songs in the top 20. Not that they're bad albums, just nothing really stand out from them imo

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

I wouldn't be able to make any lists of favourite GD songs. It's just too hard to rank. Although if I did, I'm sure there wouldn't be any insomniac, nimrod, 1,039 or kerplunk songs in the top 20. Not that they're bad albums, just nothing really stand out from them imo

I think I've found my new soulmate (well almost, I would probably put Scattered there).  But, damn close enough

I don't find it hard to list a few favourites (I can do it off the top of my head: Somewhere Now, Longview, Brutal Love, Blood Sex and Booze, Redundant, East Jesus Nowhere). But getting into a top 10 or 20 is way too hard.

• Like 2

Ok, you guys are probably gonna hate me for saying it, but I don't really like YoungBlood. I don't think it's a bad song, but I think it's a mediocre one. And I really don't understand why so many people love it. I have a couple of friends who didn't like the new album at all (one of them doesn't even like green day that much) but they love YoungBlood. And I wish Green Day would've picked some other new song to play live. I don't mind them playing it, but it hurts me to think they could be playing Outlaws or Say Goodbye or even Bouncing of the walls instead.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kripack said:

Ok, you guys are probably gonna hate me for saying it, but I don't really like YoungBlood. I don't think it's a bad song, but I think it's a mediocre one. And I really don't understand why so many people love it. I have a couple of friends who didn't like the new album at all (one of them doesn't even like green day that much) but they love YoungBlood. And I wish Green Day would've picked some other new song to play live. I don't mind them playing it, but it hurts me to think they could be playing Outlaws or Say Goodbye or even Bouncing of the walls instead.

I think there is an equal number of people that love it and an equal number that hate it.  There doesn't seem to be much grey area.  I am on your side, I think it is an awful song.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hermione said:

I don't find it hard to list a few favourites (I can do it off the top of my head: Somewhere Now, Longview, Brutal Love, Blood Sex and Booze, Redundant, East Jesus Nowhere). But getting into a top 10 or 20 is way too hard.

True because it totally depends on my mood too. Like I say consistently that my all-time top two are gonna be Jesus Of Suburbia and When I Come Around. But beyond that like...I could make a list but I feel like it would change around a lot. It depends on what I'm doing or how I'm feeling. Some songs are good to drive to, some are good to run to, some mean a lot to me because of lyrics, memories...there's just too many variables for me to have a true "top 10/20"

• Like 4

I could make a top 10, but the rest depends on my mood, how my day has been, or a few other things.

For an unpopular opinion, Nice Guys Finish last is one of my least favorite on nimrod. Only songs I dislike more are good riddance and last ride in.

Edited by Jinxed_

8 hours ago, Jinxed_ said:

For an unpopular opinion, Nice Guys Finish last is one of my least favorite on nimrod.

Same. I think it's mostly just because it's on Nimrod though. It's good but by the standards of that album it's kind of generic, plus it's the first song and followed by a run of exceptionally good songs so it's tempting to skip it and go straight to Hitchin a Ride.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Scattered Wreck said:

I think there is an equal number of people that love it and an equal number that hate it.  There doesn't seem to be much grey area.  I am on your side, I think it is an awful song.

I like the energy and the general vibe of the song, but it's just too repetitive for my taste. It has some cool parts though, that can be fun especially when performed live. At the same time, the constant repetition of "Youngblood" makes me wanna skin myself alive. I think I'd consider myself in that grey area, haha. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, melissi_unicorn said:

I like the energy and the general vibe of the song, but it's just too repetitive for my taste. It has some cool parts though, that can be fun especially when performed live. At the same time, the constant repetition of "Youngblood" makes me wanna skin myself alive. I think I'd consider myself in that grey area, haha. 

Notice I did say not much grey area not no grey area.  But the song isn't bad live, but as a recording or a song in general I think it is just awful.  Any of the other Revrad songs are far superior.  I just don't get why it has become a staple.  It is not bad live but it is not like it sets the crowd on fire. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scattered Wreck said:

Notice I did say not much grey area not no grey area.  But the song isn't bad live, but as a recording or a song in general I think it is just awful.  Any of the other Revrad songs are far superior.  I just don't get why it has become a staple.  It is not bad live but it is not like it sets the crowd on fire. 

Oh yes, so agreed! I'd love to hear "Say Goodbye", "Bouncing Off the Wall" or "Too Dumb To Die" instead.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

I agree with you that, from a technical musical perspective, the song is dull, repetitive and weak.  But at the same time I absolutely love it, it's one of my favourites from RevRad.  It's very catchy, and all always find myself bouncing along to it when it comes on.  I really liked it live too.  Definitely agree with the lack of a grey area, and I can certainly see why you wouldn't like it - it's a very love/hate song.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Second favourite son said:

I agree with you that, from a technical musical perspective, the song is dull, repetitive and weak.  But at the same time I absolutely love it, it's one of my favourites from RevRad.  It's very catchy, and all always find myself bouncing along to it when it comes on.  I really liked it live too.  Definitely agree with the lack of a grey area, and I can certainly see why you wouldn't like it - it's a very love/hate song.

Bouncing off the walls is more catchy.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Second favourite son said:

When the album first came out, my initial reaction to the song was that it is melodically catchy and fun, but the cringeworthy lyrics absolutely ruin it.  I think I actually said it would have been much better as an instrumental.  However, after listening to it for several months, I've come to the conclusion that I think the melody is just as repetitive and awful as the lyrics.   To me it sounds like he is sampling an ambulance.  

I think it works fine in concert because you are up and dancing and singing and the melody is upbeat enough not to detract from the show.  Basically, you just keep dancing and bouncing.  

However, everyone has their own opinion and that is fine.

What I don't get is why it is a staple at the show.  Taking aside the fact that I don't like the song, most people agree that it is a no grey area song, people either love it or hate it.  As my dear friend has said, and I agree with, BOTW is much catchier and in my opinion a far superior song.  I could be wrong, but I don't think that song is a love/hate song.  There are people that don't like it, just like there is with any song, but I don't think it is as polar.  

• Like 1

I think Billie really, really likes Youngblood (didn't he even mention that in one of the interviews - I'm not sure though), maybe that's why it's a staple.

I love the song live, it works great. I don't know if Billie changes the "Fuck you I'm from Oakland"-part at every show, but he did at ours, and I laughed so hard when I screamed "Fuck you I'm from Oakland", but he sang "Fuck you I'm from Deutschland" :lol: Can't get enough of that.

The only thing I don't like about the song is its position on the album. When I listen to RevRad from start to finish and get into my Still Breathing-mood and Youngblod follows right away, I tend to skip the song and listen to it later. It sometimes ruins SB for me.

22 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

When the album first came out, my initial reaction to the song was that it is melodically catchy and fun, but the cringeworthy lyrics absolutely ruin it.  I think I actually said it would have been much better as an instrumental.  However, after listening to it for several months, I've come to the conclusion that I think the melody is just as repetitive and awful as the lyrics.   To me it sounds like he is sampling an ambulance.  

I think it works fine in concert because you are up and dancing and singing and the melody is upbeat enough not to detract from the show.  Basically, you just keep dancing and bouncing.  

However, everyone has their own opinion and that is fine.

What I don't get is why it is a staple at the show.  Taking aside the fact that I don't like the song, most people agree that it is a no grey area song, people either love it or hate it.  As my dear friend has said, and I agree with, BOTW is much catchier and in my opinion a far superior song.  I could be wrong, but I don't think that song is a love/hate song.  There are people that don't like it, just like there is with any song, but I don't think it is as polar.  

What about the lyrics in particular do you find cringeworthy (genuinely curious, as I don't find them cringeworthy at all)?  I actually like the repitivie melody, but again I totally understand why you wouldn't.  I just think it's a great, lighthearted but still heartfelt song. 

I've got to disagree on the second part though - as much as I'd love to hear both, I actually think Youngblood is better live than BOTW would be.  The repetitive nature of it makes it all the more a bouncy song.  Bouncing off the walls would be great too (maybe we could take @MilleniumFan's thought on board and replace KYE with it), but with the number of casual fans around at shows you want a repetitive song in there which will get everyone bouncing.  Then again, maybe I'm biased because I love the song.  Bouncing off the wall certainly seems to be less hated by many, even if it isn't as loved by some.  They should definitely play both.

51 minutes ago, Second favourite son said:

What about the lyrics in particular do you find cringeworthy (genuinely curious, as I don't find them cringeworthy at all)?  I actually like the repitivie melody, but again I totally understand why you wouldn't.  I just think it's a great, lighthearted but still heartfelt song. 

I've got to disagree on the second part though - as much as I'd love to hear both, I actually think Youngblood is better live than BOTW would be.  The repetitive nature of it makes it all the more a bouncy song.  Bouncing off the walls would be great too (maybe we could take @MilleniumFan's thought on board and replace KYE with it), but with the number of casual fans around at shows you want a repetitive song in there which will get everyone bouncing.  Then again, maybe I'm biased because I love the song.  Bouncing off the wall certainly seems to be less hated by many, even if it isn't as loved by some.  They should definitely play both.

This is interesting because we are coming from different ends of the spectrum.  I'm sure we are both biased in what we are seeing.

I'm going to answer your question with a question, what isn't cringeworthy?  I honestly see nothing heartfelt about the lyrics.  To me it sounds like it was either written by a 5 year old for his first kindergarten love.   If it really was, then it would be adorable, but it wasn't it was written by a 44 year old.  Or it sounds like it was written by someone with an extreme lack of confidence in themselves that is trying too hard to impress.

As far as the concert, I don't think it was good in concert, but it did not detract.  I didn't sing and bounce because Youngblood was on but because it was bouncy enough for me to continue singing and bouncing.  Originally, I really anticipated going to the bathroom when it was on, but I didn't feel the need to leave.  While the crowd did bounce and sing, I didn't see any great OMG it's Youngblood type stuff going on.  It is fine in concert, but I still think it can be replaced by anything and not be missed.

• Like 1

Yeah, Youngblood doesn't get that great reaction live. Crowds keep going but I didn't think many people knew it/were singing along. It's easy enough to jump and clap along to but that's it. nothing special. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MilleniumFan said:

We've got to get them to play Bouncing off the Wall atleast once this tour! 

Not gonna happen for me.  Unless the OZ tour is the warm up for the second part of the US tour.  :happy:

Tight Wad Hill is officially my least favourite Insomniac song. I've been listening to the album on a loop over the last few days (because it's in my car CD player) and the temptation to skip is strongest for that song :lol: I don't hate it and can't even put my finger on why I don't like it as much as the rest of the album but when I hear it between Westbound Sign and Walking Contradiction I'm like...meh.

1 hour ago, MilleniumFan said:

Well that's an unpopular opinion alright. Hell no!

He's just trolling for a response like this :P 

1 minute ago, Jenn. said:

Tight Wad Hill is officially my least favourite Insomniac song. I've been listening to the album on a loop over the last few days (because it's in my car CD player) and the temptation to skip is strongest for that song :lol: I don't hate it and can't even put my finger on why I don't like it as much as the rest of the album but when I hear it between Westbound Sign and Walking Contradiction I'm like...meh.

He's just trolling for a response like this :P 

or that I actually want a rap collab again. I forgot a different opinion than the entire forum is trolling... :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

• lizziebix featured this topic