Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

Seems to me that's just the way Jason and the band likes it. Fans made up the whole "official" label themselves, no one in the band ever made a big announcement about it, his role in the band just naturally grew from only being a live guitarist to also being part of the album recording process along with the other members. Seems like he prefers not to be in the limelight so much, and since there's no rule that everyone's role in the band has to be the same I don't see any problem with that.

He actually isn't really at the back of the stage though, he's on the left of the stage while Mike is on the right. He might stand a little bit further back sometimes and interact with the crowd less but that's probably his choice, his style is less in your face and more reserved. 

That's my mistake then, I always thought he was a 'proper' band member.

If it's personal choice then fine, but my slightly OCD side would like him up front with Mike and BJ

That's my mistake then, I always thought he was a 'proper' band member.

If it's personal choice then fine, but my slightly OCD side would like him up front with Mike and BJ

Oh yeah I think he is a proper band member (after all he's credited along with the others on Uno Dos and Tre), I just don't think that means he has to play the exact same role in the band as the others. I think they didn't make a big announcement like "hey everyone meet the new official member of Green Day!" and instead just let his rise from being a touring guitarist to playing on albums along with Billie Mike and Tre speak for itself for a reason, seems like they want it to be a thing where he isn't obligated to play as big a role as the others if he doesn't want to. 

I'm a massive Jason fan and all for him being right at the front and in the spotlight more (I really enjoy being on his side of the stage at shows, watching him play and waving at him while most people are looking elsewhere is fun :D), but I think he's just naturally more understated as a performer so it's to be expected that he's not.

• Like 1

I would've loved if the version of 409 In Your Coffee Maker that was on the Basket Case single was on Dookie.

Edited by Insomniac85
  • Like 1

I would've loved if the version of 409 In Your Coffee Maker that was on the Basket Case single was on Dookie.

Or maybe like a deluxe version of Dookie along with some other remakes of 1039 songs. Now that would be incredible.

• Like 2

A while back I realized that if GD makes another album, it's probably gonna be terrible. Well it's gonna be terrible if they're still writing songs in the way they wrote the trilogy.

• Like 1

A while back I realized that if GD makes another album, it's probably gonna be terrible. Well it's gonna be terrible if they're still writing songs in the way they wrote the trilogy.

Silly Alex, everyone knows that!

Silly Alex, everyone knows that!

Lol,  but seriously, i think we'd be better off with a rerecording of C&V in it's entirety than a new album.

Lol,  but seriously, i think we'd be better off with a rerecording of C&V in it's entirety than a new album.

Did you ever think that there were legitimate reasons they didn't record C&V?

Did you ever think that there were legitimate reasons they didn't record C&V?

My current thinking is that the Trilogy is basically C&V and their standards just dropped a lot in the past decade.

There were legit reasons not to record C&V, one being because it didn't exist. It was all a hype-gathering coverup. Let me explain.

Green Day was in their worst commercial slump of their career and almost on the bring of breakup. When the eventually came together to write American Idiot, they knew it would be controversial, and past failure made them fear this change and the public reaction. So they devised this plan: make up an album that claimed to be similar to their roots and fake its disappearance. Now, if American Idiot flopped, they could say, "Look, we had this other great album, it was stolen, and we had to quickly put together something else, so yeah it isn't our best." If AI succeeded (which it did), they could tell this elaborate story about how they chose to say "fuck it" and make AI out of pure devotion and desire to make great music, and didn't rerecord C&V bc it wasn't "maximum Green Day." Thus we are left with a ghost album that causes lots of controversy, discussion, and attention now and then. We are left wondering what Green Day is hiding and feel like we are missing out on a great record.

• Like 3

There were legit reasons not to record C&V, one being because it didn't exist. It was all a hype-gathering coverup. Let me explain.

Green Day was in their worst commercial slump of their career and almost on the bring of breakup. When the eventually came together to write American Idiot, they knew it would be controversial, and past failure made them fear this change and the public reaction. So they devised this plan: make up an album that claimed to be similar to their roots and fake its disappearance. Now, if American Idiot flopped, they could say, "Look, we had this other great album, it was stolen, and we had to quickly put together something else, so yeah it isn't our best." If AI succeeded (which it did), they could tell this elaborate story about how they chose to say "fuck it" and make AI out of pure devotion and desire to make great music, and didn't rerecord C&V bc it wasn't "maximum Green Day." Thus we are left with a ghost album that causes lots of controversy, discussion, and attention now and then. We are left wondering what Green Day is hiding and feel like we are missing out on a great record.

I would say you're right, but that has no evidence to support it.

Well it's just a theory, so no.

Well i know it's just a theory, but if C&V wasn't ever recorded, How the F*ck are they hiding it so well?

Well i know it's just a theory, but if C&V wasn't ever recorded, How the F*ck are they hiding it so well?

There's nothing to hide? It wasn't real.

Green Day have said that C&V was kind of the same type of style as Warning and they ditched it because it wasn't "maximum Green Day", in other words they realized they weren't pushing themselves or progressing and it was mediocre. I think the song Cigarettes and Valentines, the other songs we know were from it and other songs from the time like Maria, Poprocks and Coke and Ha Ha You're Dead show this. It was post Warning b side material, probably decent enough but I don't know why anyone thinks that we're missing out on something amazing.

I don't think the story that they realised the material they were working on wasn't good enough and challenged themselves to do something better is implausible, just the "stolen tapes" part that they added to jazz it up, which they've always said in a bit of a nudge nudge wink wink way anyway. There's evidence that they were working on material that was mediocre compared to AI in the form of all the songs from between Warning and AI that have come out. Plus we know they did lots of experiments while making AI (The Network plus apparently loads of other kinds of songs and a whole album of dirty Christmas songs), they didn't just go in and make the album right away, they clearly made the decision to experiment and push themselves first.

• Like 1

Your theory isn't bad except for one thing.  It would have been a hell of a lot easier to re-record the stolen material than to create material from scratch.    

Edited by JJ1964

Then how do you explain this!?

I was reacting at the post above me but my phone messed up the quote :P 

Anyway, my explanation is that they were working on the new material and maybe recording/demoing but gave up maybe because it wasn't good enough or the work came to a standstill. I heard they had a falling-out...The bottom line is that c&v was put off and after some time AI sessions started.

If Heart Like A Handgranade comes out we might learn more about this. 

I was reacting at the post above me but my phone messed up the quote :P 

Anyway, my explanation is that they were working on the new material and maybe recording/demoing but gave up maybe because it wasn't good enough or the work came to a standstill. I heard they had a falling-out...The bottom line is that c&v was put off and after some time AI sessions started.

If Heart Like A Handgranade comes out we might learn more about this. 

I thought you were trolling me, reply works either way :lol: 

I don't remember anyone who saw the original version of HLAHG mentioning anything about C&V being talked about in it. But since he filmed like 300 hours of footage and the one that's (hopefully) coming out is a different cut I guess there might be something about it.

I thought you were trolling me, reply works either way :lol: 

I don't remember anyone who saw the original version of HLAHG mentioning anything about C&V being talked about in it. But since he filmed like 300 hours of footage and the one that's (hopefully) coming out is a different cut I guess there might be something about it.

:D sorry, my phone sometimes messes with quotes since the update 

That's a pity, I hoped it would solve the mystery :) they might prefer to avoid mentioning it so they can come up with it later. If they ever release C&V, even as a bonus material, they will want to hype it as the "big secret revealed". 

That was exactly my point.  If the material was really "stolen" all they had to do was re-record it.  That would have been easier than starting from scratch.  Either the material didn't exist or it sucked.  

• Like 1

That was exactly my point.  If the material was really "stolen" all they had to do was re-record it.  That would have been easier than starting from scratch.  Either the material didn't exist or it sucked.  

I lean towards sucked but they don't want to just say it sucked

• Like 1

Well, C&V exists so I'd say they acually worked on it. So yeah, I bet it sucked. CV itself is quality-wise on the same level as the Trilogy - they didn't want to release that after Warning. 

• Like 1

• Hermione changed the title to Random Green Day Thoughts
  • Liam unpinned this topic
  • Hermione pinned this topic