Billie Joe Armstrong & Norah Jones unveil Duets LP of Everly Brothers covers

my dad is the BIGGEST norah fan and when he heard this cover he made me preorder the album on the spot lmao and he loves the everly brothers so hes like swooning over billie now

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, this was a surprise when the news came out this week. I'm not a country music fan at all. So, I'm not going to buy the album. Anyway, one thing came to my mind when I learned about the project: expect the unexpected from Billie Joe.

I really think there is a difference from most of our perceptions of 'country music' and 'americana.' Country music has taken a turn toward poppy, repetitive melodies with literal and simple lyrics usually about traditional or misogynistic values. Americana like the Everly Brothers wrote is like something out of an old town saloon. IDK, it doesn't feel like a 'country' album to me. Granted, I am not familiar with the songs that will be on this album, but if you don't like the country you hear on the radio, it doesn't mean you wouldn't like the country written by the Everly Brothers, especially when covered by Billie Joe, a rock star, and Norah Jones, a soul-jazz-blues singer. They both have country roots so it brings together something totally different than your average Blake Shelton record.

It's finally on the german amazon! For about twice the money, though. I'll wait until the price decreases at least a little and then preorder it as soon as possible :happy:

I was trying to put my finger on why calling this a "country" album bothered me so much, and this post explains exactly why! Modern country is definitely just pop with a country twang and different topics for the insipid lyrics to focus on. This is definitely more in line with classic country, with that sort of bluesy sound.

Not to mention Simon & Garfunkel covered Everly Brothers songs, which I never realized because I'm an S&G fan and not an Everly Brothers fan. And I don't associate shitty country music with S&G :lol:

just downloaded "Long time Gone" from Amazon.. can't stop listening.

How??? It says Oct 28th dang it

Not to mention Simon & Garfunkel covered Everly Brothers songs, which I never realized because I'm an S&G fan and not an Everly Brothers fan. And I don't associate shitty country music with S&G :lol:

what songs did they cover?

I really think there is a difference from most of our perceptions of 'country music' and 'americana.' Country music has taken a turn toward poppy, repetitive melodies with literal and simple lyrics usually about traditional or misogynistic values. Americana like the Everly Brothers wrote is like something out of an old town saloon. IDK, it doesn't feel like a 'country' album to me. Granted, I am not familiar with the songs that will be on this album, but if you don't like the country you hear on the radio, it doesn't mean you wouldn't like the country written by the Everly Brothers, especially when covered by Billie Joe, a rock star, and Norah Jones, a soul-jazz-blues singer. They both have country roots so it brings together something totally different than your average Blake Shelton record.

Thanks for putting my general detest of traditional "country" music into words. I can't stand the "God bless the USA," generally sexist, "yeehaw!" type shit at all. :lol:

Granted, I wasn't a big fan of the first Billie + Norah song, but I feel like I'll find a couple tracks on the album I can at least tolerate.

what songs did they cover?

I know Wake Up Little Susie is one. My mom mentioned to me there are some others but not sure which. I had always thought that was their original song, heh.

I'm so excited, I love when Billie does musical things. dance:

A rare occurrance, Billie Joe doing things associated with music :P

The track list of the original LP by The Everly Bros. (From Wikipedia.):

1. "Roving Gambler" (traditional) – 3:41
  2. "Down in the Willow Garden" (Charlie Monroe, traditional) – 3:04
  3. "Long Time Gone" (Frank Hartford, Tex Ritter, traditional) – 2:26
  4. "Lightning Express" (Bradley Kincaid) – 4:53
  5. "That Silver Haired Daddy of Mine" (Gene Autry, Jimmy Long) – 3:09
  6. "Who's Gonna Shoe Your Pretty Little Feet?" (traditional) – 2:41
  7. "Barbara Allen" (traditional, Susan Urban) – 4:41
  8. "Oh So Many Years" (Frankie Bailes) – 2:37
  9. "I'm Here to Get My Baby Out of Jail" (Karl Davis, Harty Taylor) – 3:38
  10. "Rockin' Alone (In an Old Rockin' Chair)" (Bob Miller) – 3:01
  11. "Kentucky" (Karl Davis) – 3:10
  12. "Put My Little Shoes Away" (Samuel N. Mitchell, Charles E. Pratt) – 3:21

Wow, shocked and stunned! I hate country music but I love Long Time Gone, their voices are just beautiful together. Have hardly heard of Norah Jones as that's not my type of music but my husband likes her and also thinks this sounds great. Maybe the recent comments re country music are right. Between this news and FXHT news last night I'm just hoping it all means that Billie Joe is doing really well. I love that there is no predicting what next with these guys.

A rare occurrance, Billie Joe doing things associated with music :P

Lately he's been acting a lot. Nurse Jackie, This is 40, etc.

I can't get over how awesome this is. I just love that Billie continues to try new things musically. I mean, he doesn't need to do anything out of his comfort zone - he could just sit back and relax between Green Day albums, never trying anything different. The fact that he does so many cool, creative things on his downtime is really admirable.

Though I find Norah Jones to be talented, I've never been a fan of her music (a little slow for my taste). That said - WOW, their voices sound lovely together. After seeing him in the musical I've been hoping that Billie would try some quieter, more acoustic music, just because his voice is so much stronger than what Green Day's music typically let's him showcase. I'm so looking forward to this album.

I can't get over how awesome this is. I just love that Billie continues to try new things musically. I mean, he doesn't need to do anything out of his comfort zone - he could just sit back and relax between Green Day albums, never trying anything different. The fact that he does so many cool, creative things on his downtime is really admirable.

Though I find Norah Jones to be talented, I've never been a fan of her music (a little slow for my taste). That said - WOW, their voices sound lovely together. After seeing him in the musical I've been hoping that Billie would try some quieter, more acoustic music, just because his voice is so much stronger than what Green Day's music typically let's him showcase. I'm so looking forward to this album.

I'm hoping this is a warmup for some kind of low-publicity acoustic solo album :P

I really like the pictures of that project. :happy: I can't wait to listen to the album!

Archived