Lyrics That Still Make No Sense to You

Anaïs.

I do enjoy Oh Love just the entire verse that starts with "Oh lights and action" never really made a whole lot of sense to me.

Haha to me neither ! Especially the line "Like the dog years of the day"... what could it possibly mean ?

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

found it on web:

Every one human year is believed to equal seven dog years (this is actually not a true fact) - Green Day has experienced days so long they feel like dog years

Also a play on “dog days” which are the hottest and most humid days of Summer, but Green Day has experienced dog years due to their fame throughout the decades

I do enjoy Oh Love just the entire verse that starts with "Oh lights and action" never really made a whole lot of sense to me.

I think it's pretty self explanatory - no matter what he does he is not satisfied & this post made me remember when I heard this on the radio everyday before it all went to shit. 

I think it's pretty self explanatory - no matter what he does he is not satisfied & this post made me remember when I heard this on the radio everyday before it all went to shit. 

I can believe I have to admit you are right

I'm so glad you can admit your elders are superior

also wanted to add I love the song but it's the most embarrassing clip gd has produced. Wrong thread though.

Juliana Homicide.  People have explained it to me and I still do not get it.  

BW-Excellent tits.  What. the. heck.  

Here's a random thing though.  Does anyone know what the word is that is scratched out on the American Idiot booklet artwork?  There is something written under Whatshername where it is written.  All the other scratched out words are typos, but I was wondering if it said "Amanda" or something else.   

Here's a random thing though.  Does anyone know what the word is that is scratched out on the American Idiot booklet artwork?  There is something written under Whatshername where it is written.  All the other scratched out words are typos, but I was wondering if it said "Amanda" or something else.   

there is a fictional tv character - Juliana cox on wiki - whether Bj got it from there who knows - but I think it's meaning is more a wave of destruction. 

The artwork question has been answered before I think but not sure.

"Sex, drugs and violence! English, math and science!" Will always be some of the most cringe-worthy Green Day lyrics that I'll never quite understand. Is it supposed to mean that sex, drugs and violence are as easy to some as English, math and science? Either way, I've never cared for that line.

I think that's what it means (comparing those life experiences that are fundamental to some people to the fundamental building blocks of learning). In which case I don't really see why it's considered cringeworthy :P, makes sense just fine.

That can be true, but I always thought of those two blocks just like two blocks of his school days. He used to have sex, drugs, violence, and also english, maths and science, end of story :P Then if you continue through the song you can see that he found the latest uninteresting because they weren't dangerous, so he continued his life more leaned to the first block. But I don't think he's comparing his experience to anyone elses. I think the song is basically about how he's proud of that "runaway" move but he's also sad that he couldn't achieve the first one well ("Now I pay but I can't pay attention", "too dumb to die I guess", "I don't want to be an imbecile but Jesus made me that way"). I must say that I love these lyrics, to me they're severely attacking traditional education in such a subtle and personal way, in my opinion they reveal more about BJ's attitude and life than almost any song. Actually I love this song more than I can explain :P  

That can be true, but I always thought of those two blocks just like two blocks of his school days. He used to have sex, drugs, violence, and also english, maths and science, end of story :P Then if you continue through the song you can see that he found the latest uninteresting because they weren't dangerous, so he continued his life more leaned to the first block. But I don't think he's comparing his experience to anyone elses. I think the song is basically about how he's proud of that "runaway" move but he's also sad that he couldn't achieve the first one well ("Now I pay but I can't pay attention", "too dumb to die I guess", "I don't want to be an imbecile but Jesus made me that way"). I must say that I love these lyrics, to me they're severely attacking traditional education in such a subtle and personal way, in my opinion they reveal more about BJ's attitude and life than almost any song. Actually I love this song more than I can explain :P  

This explanation makes sense and I agree with it. This song's problem aren't the lyrics, but the music. The chorus is way too generic. He could've written something 100 times better on this topic. 

Such a great explanation of the song! As mentioned above the music isn't that interesting, so it's not a favourite of mine, but I agree with you about the lyrics. 

I think I answered that question before- if I remember correctly, it just looked like another "whatsername" crossed out for effect, nothing new or secret :P 

"Lost children with dirty faces today" in Jesus Of suburbia (city of the damned) still makes no sence to me

1 hour ago, Wearethewaiting837 said:

"Lost children with dirty faces today" in Jesus Of suburbia (city of the damned) still makes no sence to me

I just looked up the lyrics because I didn't remember hearing that and now I know why. He sings that part so fast that I never knew what he said. Not sure what it means though.

12 hours ago, Wearethewaiting837 said:

I think you need to look at that line and the one below it together.  

"Lost children with dirty faces today

No one really seems to care "

I think he wrote it that way because it fit the tempo fo the song that way, but I think the way the lyrics fit together is really:

"Lost children with dirty faces

Today no one really seems to care"

To me, it makes more sense that way.  Meaning no one cares about the poverty in the world.  

2 hours ago, Johnny. said:

this one might have been mentioned before; 'she smashed her knuckles into winter'

like what? 

In context with the other lyrics it's clearer:

You made your bed in salad days amongst the ruins
Ashes to ashes of our youth

She smashed her knuckles into winter 
As autumns wind fades into black

I think it means she's going through life remaining strong and continuing to fight the good fight, from her salad days/youth through to being older ("autumn", "winter"). It's referenced again later with "Weather the storm and don't look back on last November", it's all about staying true to herself and not giving up as time passes. So within this "She smashed her knuckles into winter" means she stayed strong and defiant when she arrived at winter/being older/a difficult time.

8 hours ago, JJ1964 said:

I think you need to look at that line and the one below it together.  

"Lost children with dirty faces today

No one really seems to care "

I think he wrote it that way because it fit the tempo fo the song that way, but I think the way the lyrics fit together is really:

"Lost children with dirty faces

Today no one really seems to care"

To me, it makes more sense that way.  Meaning no one cares about the poverty in the world.  

Oh ok,it makes sence now thanks :smile:

It's fun to sing-a-long to, but is the chorus to "Uptight' anything more than a play on words?

"Uptight, I'm a nag with a gun, now
All night, suicide's last call
I've been uptight all night
I'm a son of a gun"

Also, this verse of "Fashion Victim" doesn't make much sense to me.

"So when you're dancing through your wardrobe
Do the anorex - a go-go
Cloaked with style
For pedophiles as the credit card explodes"

16 minutes ago, velvetgrass said:

It's fun to sing-a-long to, but is the chorus to "Uptight' anything more than a play on words?

"Uptight, I'm a nag with a gun, now
All night, suicide's last call
I've been uptight all night
I'm a son of a gun"

Also, this verse of "Fashion Victim" doesn't make much sense to me.

"So when you're dancing through your wardrobe
Do the anorex - a go-go
Cloaked with style
For pedophiles as the credit card explodes"

About Uptight...

It's not a play on words

1 hour ago, st_trillie said:

About Uptight...

It's not a play on words

Cool! I never saw that interview before, thanks for posting! It's definitely one of the more mature full band interviews I've seen pre-American Idiot.

Just now, velvetgrass said:

Cool! I never saw that interview before, thanks for posting! It's definitely one of the more mature full band interviews I've seen pre-American Idiot.

No problem:toocool: Yeah Dave Fanning (the presenter) has that effect on people :D I love him, he asks the decent questions that we all would if we could.

Archived