Sotw: Brain Stew

The Grohl

“Brainstew” is the tenth track and the third single from the band's fourth studio album Insomniac. Actually, the single that was released is combined with another song “Jaded” as they flow continuously from one track to other on the album. The lyrics were written by Billie Joe Armstrong. Speaking in terms of record sales, this album didn't fare as well as its predecessor Dookie, but this single did pretty well. It reached #3 on the US modern Rock Tracks and #35 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Billie has previously stated that the song deals with not getting any sleep and since he had a baby around the time of the song's release, this was something he knew about really well. I do agree that it is about insomnia, but lines like “A crooked spine/My senses dull/Crossed the point of delirium” can be referencing drugs as well. It wouldn't surprise me if this was the true or second meaning of the song as Billie has had some past experience with drugs, but whether you're strung out on drugs or just can't get any sleep, the song is pretty relatable.

This track represents the whole album pretty well. It's a darker themed track for the band with references to insomnia and even gruesome visual lyrics, such as “My eyes feel like they're gonna bleed/dried out and bulging out my skull.” Though the riff is fairly simple, it's the brutal, aggressive sound of it that really gives the song its edge. There's also a constant build up throughout where the music grows more and more chaotic as the song goes on kind of like it's trying to show what your mind goes through on a sleepless night.

This is one of my all time favorite Green Day songs. When I first heard it, I instantly fell in love with the riff. This is one of the songs that made me grab a guitar and try to learn it for myself. On those rare occasions when I do play guitar I always go for this song first. I also love all the visual details we get from the lyrics, even if they are a bit brutal. When Billie sings “My mouth is dry, my face is numb/fucked up and spun out in my room” I can actually see and feel what's going on and that's what makes it so much fun. Also, even though it's one of their slower paced songs, especially when compared to “Jaded,” it gets you pumped up, especially during the musical outro when everything comes together in this mass of sound. One of the best moments of my life was when I finally heard it live at the Chicago concert. Sure, Billie messed up a few of the lyrics, but that just made the performance more memorable for me. Besides, he recovered from it pretty well.

Lyrics:

I'm having trouble trying to sleep
I'm counting sheep but running out
As time ticks by
And still I try
No rest for crosstops in my mind

On my own... here we go

My eyes feel like they're gonna bleed
Dried up and bulging out my skull
My mouth is dry
My face is numb
Fucked up and spun out in my room

On my own... here we go

My mind is set on overdrive
The clock is laughing in my face
A crooked spine
My sense's dulled
Passed the point of delirium

On my own... here we go

My eyes feel like they're gonna bleed
Dried up and bulging out my skull
My mouth is dry
My face is numb
Fucked up and spun out in my room

On my own... here we go

This live performance comes from Bullet in a Bible, which is still one of my favorite all time live DVDs

This is a really good song, I love its simplicity. The Bullet In A Bible version made me grab a guitar and try to learn it.

a great OP Kay!

Just gotta love the song. Om my own... here we go

This song is pretty good, one of the first i heard by them. It's one of those ones where i think i hate it, so i tend not to listen to it, but then when i do listen to it i love it to death and always move to it!

Yeah, that was pretty funny in Rosemont. I remember him mixing up the order of the stanzas and needing to repeat the next

Love Brain Stew, but <<< Jaded

the riff is immediatly addicting and imo that's one of the punkest song of the band.
the lyrics are pretty good and i especially like the one '' the clock is laughing in my face''
great post good job ;)

Brain Stew started off as a song I didn't really pay any attention to, and I just plainly thought it was a boring song. It took me a while until it grew on me, and since then it's been my favorite song off of Insomniac.

ive always loved this song..the way billie sings it and all the extra vocal sounds are my favorite..i also love watching the live vids of it..especially when they go into jaded..this is green day performing "Brain Stew" and "Jaded" live on MTV Hanging Out its my favorite version..(sorry if im not allowed to add another vid) please enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WrgJFwGP6Y

Brain Stew made me look more into Insomniac, and it's now my favorite album, so I thank this song for that!! plus, it's a great song to listen to when you're not feeling well lol.

Love this song although I'm liking Jaded a little bit more right now haha.

I love the -staccato?- riff. It really helps to convey a sense of lethargy. Plus, that's probably my favourite live performance of Brain Stew ;)

I love Brain Stew! It's such a great song.

This was one of the first Green Day songs I heard. That slow, chugging guitar and those heavy drums make it sound like a slowing train :D plus those nasty-in-the-good-way lyrics! When they play this live, there's such an epic buildup. Gotta love it.

This is a song I never get sick of. and I heard it millions of times since it's release. one of the best Green Day riffs of all time.

This is my favorite version with the intro and the really high part

Dang, BJ must have been really hyper at that show, he went pretty crazy and strayed from the original quite a bit. I love it. xP

Songs about being on drugs are the best

This is one of the more hardcore (am I using the right word?) Green Day songs I first listened to; and to be honest, it's one of the favourites. Everytime I listen to this, it needs to go with Jaded, as the change of pace and tone is perfect.

The song itself, it's great live, and they've tweaked it a bit live, which I really like. It's one of the classics! So classic, in fact, I hope future archeologists will find the song (hard format need not be a discussion), listen to it and realise people in 1995 and sometime thereabouts were dreary, miserable people who by the end of it all, just went insane and led to the extinction of mankind, that's how awesome the song is.

I would describe the song's pacing as thus: comepletely stoned up to the eyeballs then you trip over, nose first into a mountainous pile of cocaine and then the rest of this analogy is history, as well as your neighbour's budgie.

EDIT: Holy shit! This is my 400th post!

Archived