Has Green Day ever truly 'sold out'?

musso_kn

i said everything that was to say. just one thing you may missunderstood: by front of stage area i mean the "golden circle". the floor for all the people standing is usally divided by a wavebreaker. and this area closer to the stage costs the double amount as normal tickets in vienna. usually, at shows i am attending, you just pay the normal prize and have to be early to get there. and that is how it was handled by green day before. and when i said i hope tickets will sell bad i meant only tickets for this particular shoow... i don't want them to get away with that. and this procedure of ticket sales will actually affect the atmosphere as well if you don't have your biggest fans in front, but instead the ones that are willing to pay the most. and i don't want to take part in that. maybe its a rare thing in todays society, but some peoples still have principle..... maybe that got uncool.

but i want to emphasize i didn't give up yet and wanna judge to early. if they handle the ticketing in the usual way concerning other upcoming europe shows (as far as i know the most are festivals at the moment, so we can't know that yet) and play their usual set lenght of 30 songs + it would be fine. but the show i attended got 23 (or was it only 21?) songs and it was a regular green day show, not a festival or so... so we will see...

I do agree with you that the biggest fans, the ones that wait in lines outside of the venue all day should be in the front.

But, I just don't get how you can not be happy with 23 songs for a concert? Like I've said, I've only seen 2 or 3 other bands live besides Green Day have played over 20 songs or over 2 hours long.

The time I saw Green Day live which was in July 2009 in Chicago, I got 23 songs also. I don't know whether you saw them in 2009 or 2010, but the average number of songs for the 2009 USA and European legs of the tour was around 23-25. With a few exceptions, the 30 song sets weren't typical until 2010 and for most of the American Idiot tour the average number of songs was 19-21. So assuming you saw them in Vienna in November 2009, 23 songs was not unusual for Green Day at that time. And if I'm wrong and you actually saw them at Nova Rock in 2010, that was a festival with time constraints and other bands before them, not their own typical headlining show.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i saw them a couple of times and the one concert i meant was 2012 in mönchengladbach. if you are a young band it is normal to play a short set, since you don't have many songs to pick of. if you are band that had 8 albums excluding the trilogy, that is pretty weak, especially if you gonna raise your prizes that much. i aggree that they just started recently to play their 30 song setlists, but once you started that you shouldn't just cut short again. i know that when i saw them in 2005 i wasn't to thrilled either, that they didn't play at least 2 hours, but it was ok to me cause they still were pretty cheap compared to other bands their size.

but anyways the setlist was just one example. it all keeps adding up...

No I don't think they have. I feel like they keep with their same ideals, attitude, and ideas they had when they first started. Just because the band is a huge success, have their songs in commercials and what not shouldn't mean that they sold out or whatever. Personally, I think that term is dumb because most people use it whenever a artist becomes mainstream and it shouldn't be.

i saw them a couple of times and the one concert i meant was 2012 in mönchengladbach. if you are a young band it is normal to play a short set, since you don't have many songs to pick of. if you are band that had 8 albums excluding the trilogy, that is pretty weak, especially if you gonna raise your prizes that much. i aggree that they just started recently to play their 30 song setlists, but once you started that you shouldn't just cut short again. i know that when i saw them in 2005 i wasn't to thrilled either, that they didn't play at least 2 hours, but it was ok to me cause they still were pretty cheap compared to other bands their size.

but anyways the setlist was just one example. it all keeps adding up...

Oh, I didn't know that you just saw Green Day live last summer. Your argument about the setlist makes a lot more sense now. I have no idea why they cut back on the number songs compared to the 2010 tour either.

Moving on, to an issue more related to this thread, Around the time 21st Century Breakdown came out, one of the things I liked most about Green Day most was that they wouldn't sell 21st Century Breakdown at Walmart, as all they stock for music are CDs with no expletives on them. When I talked to other people about Green Day, I would use that as an argument to explain that I liked them for more than just their music. So, it really bothered me when they released clean, censored versions of iUno! and iDos! (assuming iTre! too, but not 100% positive). I don't know if I would call that "selling out", but they definitely compromised their beliefs, for sure.

Oh, I didn't know that you just saw Green Day live last summer. Your argument about the setlist makes a lot more sense now. I have no idea why they cut back on the number songs compared to the 2010 tour either.

Moving on, to an issue more related to this thread, Around the time 21st Century Breakdown came out, one of the things I liked most about Green Day most was that they wouldn't sell 21st Century Breakdown at Walmart, as all they stock for music are CDs with no expletives on them. When I talked to other people about Green Day, I would use that as an argument to explain that I liked them for more than just their music. So, it really bothered me when they released clean, censored versions of iUno! and iDos! (assuming iTre! too, but not 100% positive). I don't know if I would call that "selling out", but they definitely compromised their beliefs, for sure.

Green Day has never once said there against censored album hell Billie Joe himself said he buys edited music when his kids were younger

They just didnt think 21st deserved to be edited which it didnt there wasnt that much bad stuff on it

I once wrote a term paper in a college class, English 102, about Green Day versus censorship. I got an "A" . Music should not be censored. Green Day did not sell out, they are evolving into something more..."I can't quite put my finger on it". I'm just looking forward to seeing them LIVE! No censorship allowed :)

I wrote a term paper in a college class, English 102, about Green Day vs. censorship. I got an "A" . Music should not be censored. Green Day did not sell out, they are evolving into something more..."I can't quite put my finger on it". I'm just looking forward to seeing them LIVE! Class of 2013!

There nothing wrong with censored music kids needs music too

I agree Tim. My point is as in my essay was, as a parent, you should do your research before you let your children listen to uncensored content, it's not the artists' responsibility. The main point in my paper was, if you let your children listen to the "explicit" version (of any song) and you are "shocked" by the content lyrically, it's your own fault for not paying attention to the label! I hope you know what I'm saying as a parent! I'm very open minded. :)

It's a new Green Day era!

Edit: Looking for that term paper I wrote...four years ago. We all evolve.

I agree Tim. My point is as in my essay was, as a parent, you should do your research before you let your children listen to uncensored content, it's not the artists' responsibility. The main point in my paper was, if you let your children listen to the "explicit" version (of any song) and you are "shocked" by the content lyrically, it's your own fault for not paying attention to the label! I hope you know what I'm saying as a parent! I'm very open minded. :)

It's a new Green Day era!

Well yeah exactly

I like knowing i have the option of buying a censored version so when my son is with me he wont be saying to his mama "oh baby baby its fuck time" lol

No debating about that song! It's What time? Free Speech. :)

Im all for free speech but if my son came back to his mamas and sang oh baby baby its fuck time id be killed instantly lmao

Guest DisapppearingBoy

Green Day as a band has sold out but Billie, Mike and Tre have never sold out.

Did i say that right?

Green Day as a band has sold out but Billie, Mike and Tre have never sold out.

Did i say that right?

No, you didn't. They changed their style but not into super radio-friendly pop beats and their change was not so radical, it's what you would expect from any band, they always did whatever the hell they wanted to. For everyone saying that they "sold out" when they signed to a major label, a lot of the songs on Dookie were written way before they signed to Reprise which means that those songs magically became "sell out music" when Dookie got released. If Dookie came out today it wouldn't be a great success like it was back in 1994. Hope I made my point clear :)

Guest DisapppearingBoy

No, you didn't. They changed their style but not into super radio-friendly pop beats and their change was not so radical, it's what you would expect from any band, they always did whatever the hell they wanted to. For everyone saying that they "sold out" when they signed to a major label, a lot of the songs on Dookie were written way before they signed to Reprise which means that those songs magically became "sell out music" when Dookie got released. If Dookie came out today it wouldn't be a great success like it was back in 1994. Hope I made my point clear :)

So, What do u've say about 21CB record after AI?

So, What do u've say about 21CB record after AI?

Natural evolution, 21st CB wasn't such a huge success compared to AI or Dookie even though it had the huge single 21 Guns. And if they really had sold out they wouldn't have done the trilogy which is radically different.

Archived