Has Green Day ever truly 'sold out'?

musso_kn

Guest RedStrokes
That is not true at all. The bands never called each other sellouts. Only the scene did. I recommend you find a copy online of One Nine Nine Four. Even independent bands like Rancid and The Offspring were called sell outs because they made money in 1994-95. The bands stood together, it's only the boneheaded public and fans that made the noise; any band that tried to really stick solely with the scene died out. The bands welcomed public success because it means getting a larger fanbase, the fans however decided to be selfish.
Who knows what other bands did/said about other bands. And honestly who gives a crap? I know I don't. It doesn't really matter anyway. Hate for green day is bull most of the time.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who knows what other bands did/said about other bands. And honestly who gives a crap? I know I don't. It doesn't really matter anyway. Hate for green day is bull most of the time.

Most members of legendary punk bands always say they love or respect Green Day, sans Johnny Rotten. Even Mike Ness said he used to think they were all image until he saw them live, then he said they were the real deal.

What is "selling out" anyway? Making money? Of course! That's why we get jobs right? I mean, all those punk bands that "86ed" Green Day I think are jealous. Everyone who wants to be a musician has dreams of making millions and becoming a rock star. When they can't do it or aren't talented enough, they get pissed at other bands who CAN and call them sellouts.

You think if any of those bands who played at Gilman were offered millions of dollars they wouldn't take it???? Of course they would!

I bet you ANYTHING that Rancid called Green Day "sellouts" until they got a call from the major label and they enjoyed the free ride Green Day gave the "new punk" era in the mid-90's. Same with Offspring.

People say that selling out means that bands need to be in the business for the music. What, they don't think Green Day did that???? They didn't put out AI for anything but the music. Remember, AI came out at the peak of the Iraq War where it was very touchy what you said about the war, America, and George W. Bush. Remember what happened to the Dixie Chicks???

You think 21CB had all radio friendly songs? Of course not! It's not my favorite CD, but MUSICALLY it was amazing! That's why Green Day is so popular.

I think "sell out" is a ridiculous phrase made by people who would give their left arm to have one night of notoriety, fame, and money that the people they call "sellouts" have.

I definitely don't think 21CB or anything they've ever written has been deliberately 'radio friendly'. They may not always right the best stuff, but it always has credibility and integrity. The music, I believe is as genuine as ever.

That is not true at all. The bands never called each other sellouts. Only the scene did. I recommend you find a copy online of One Nine Nine Four. Even independent bands like Rancid and The Offspring were called sell outs because they made money in 1994-95. The bands stood together, it's only the boneheaded public and fans that made the noise; any band that tried to really stick solely with the scene died out. The bands welcomed public success because it means getting a larger fanbase, the fans however decided to be selfish.

Nah, but thanks for the "recommendation" :dry: . I was actually around in "One Nine Nine Four" and I actually lived through that era and remember that before Offspring hit it big with "Come Out and Play" they were denouncing Green Day for signing to a major label.

Sometimes living through history is better than reading about it.

Nah, but thanks for the "recommendation" :dry: . I was actually around in "One Nine Nine Four" and I actually lived through that era and remember that before Offspring hit it big with "Come Out and Play" they were denouncing Green Day for signing to a major label.

TRUTH

It's a movie by the way, a really good documentary. And I wasn't being condescending, just providing evidence for my belief. Evidently it's hard to do that when the older people on this site can't help but be condescending, but what can you do but apologize for not being born in the 80's.

nah 23 song is average - under average if we talk about rock bands here.

23 songs is NOT average for most concerts period. It's above average. And at the same time you're implying that it's under average for "rock bands"? Then, who are you saying 23 songs is average for? Pop artists? County artists? Rappers? You tell me.

But, if you want to realistically compare to other bands, it's not about the number of songs. It's about length of the entire show. Unfortunately, since Green Day was one of my first concerts, I didn't have a watch and didn't time exactly how long they played (I will do it when I see them on March 28 in Rosemont though). But it was approximately 2 hours, 15 minutes. I've seen a lot of bands since their show in 2009 and the only bands that played over 2 hours were Radiohead, Dream Theater, and Foo Fighters. So when I saw Green Day, they were definitely above average when it came to putting on a concert.

23 songs is NOT average for most concerts period. It's above average. And at the same time you're implying that it's under average for "rock bands"? Then, who are you saying 23 songs is average for? Pop artists? County artists? Rappers? You tell me.

But, if you want to realistically compare to other bands, it's not about the number of songs. It's about length of the entire show. Unfortunately, since Green Day was one of my first concerts, I didn't have a watch and didn't time exactly how long they played (I will do it when I see them on March 28 in Rosemont though). But it was approximately 2 hours, 15 minutes. I've seen a lot of bands since their show in 2009 and the only bands that played over 2 hours were Radiohead, Dream Theater, and Foo Fighters. So when I saw Green Day, they were definitely above average when it came to putting on a concert.

Only really big bands can pull off 2 hour shows. Green Day is commended by many people for their live shows, and several concert goers I know aren't Green Day fans and have told me that they've put on the best shows they've ever been to.

It's a movie by the way, a really good documentary. And I was being condescending, just providing evidence for my belief. Evidently it's hard to do that when the older people on this site can help but be condescending, but what can you do but apologize for not being born in the 80's.

I hope you're not referring to me as being condescending. I'm just stating what I lived through. Your "recommendation" DID come across as condescending and your referring to "older people on this site" is condescending. And correcting me that it's a movie when I simply said that living through history is better than reading it is also condescending.

And I know you're not referring to me when you are apologizing for being born in the 80's. I was born in the 70's :P

I hope you're not referring to me as being condescending. I'm just stating what I lived through. Your "recommendation" DID come across as condescending and your referring to "older people on this site" is condescending. And correcting me that it's a movie when I simply said that living through history is better than reading it is also condescending.

And I know you're not referring to me when you are apologizing for being born in the 80's. I was born in the 70's :P

Keep hoping. Like I said before, I was just stating that you should check out what I was referencing and was in no way trying to undermine you. And you said "read through history" so I though you meant it was a book. But then you undermined me when you referenced your age. If that wasn't your intent, then I apologize, but otherwise...

Keep hoping. Like I said before, I was just stating that you should check out what I was referencing and was in no way trying to undermine you. And you said "read through history" so I though you meant it was a book. But then you undermined me when you referenced your age. If that wasn't your intent, then I apologize, but otherwise...

I don't think the older heads are trying to be condescending but when people who weren't old enough in a certain time or alive durng a cetain time says something bout that time period and tries to say differently than someone who was around in that time is kinda backwards like I said in the Dookie thread history on the net about the 90's is a tad different than what actually went down but i respect all opinions

I don't think the older heads are trying to be condescending but when people who weren't old enough in a certain time or alive durng a cetain time says something bout that time period and tries to ay different than someone who was around in that time is kinda backwards like I said in the Dookie thread history on the net about the 90's is a tad different than what actually went down but i respect all opinions

I respect all opinions as well. I just find it irritating when someone goes "Kid, I you were in diapers when Dookie came out" or when someone says something like "I actually lived through '94 and blah blah blah" its just comes off as condescending to me. If more explanation could be given besides that assholy statement than that's much preferred. Unfortunately I've only seen the former happen to me personally. But very well said Tim.

i don't think they really sold out. in my opinion, selling out is what rise against and anti-flag did: writing totally anti-capitalist lyrics but then signing to a major label. that's extremely hypocritical.

No. No. No! No. No. Nooo. Nooooo. Noooooo. Nooooooooooooo!

Just kidding but really, Like you said i'm only 16 so i've known them since i was 8 since the American Idiot era so i really didn't grow up with them and maybe if i did my feelings would be different?

But the only time i ever felt like they betrayed themselves is the Oh Love video because i remember them specifically saying they weren't a band that were all about sex and drugs and crap and i always taught they respected women a bit more, and that and other lyrics in the trilogy didn't quite make me think so.

But, that's enough to forgive i mean it was a stupid video and it's not like they probably planned it. I think when they were a younger band ironically that's when they actually cared about their image. They turned down the Rolling Stones (i'm guessing just to be cool and not get picked on, could be argued for sure though), they used to act like total pricks and spit on people, (okay kind of cool i guess? Not really what i would want to happen to me at a concert). I feel like sometimes they tried to have a punk "image". After Good Riddance is when people said they changed and grew up and REALLY sold out. I'm going to have to disagree and say that's when they stopped caring about what other people expected from them and did what THEY wanted.

Isn't that what being punks about? Doing what YOU want?

I think they just kind of go with the flow now and that's what is different about them. Carpe Diem though man, i'm sure Billie wants to fulfill his life and if that means "hey i want to try going on the voice!" I say let him. The ones constantly labeling Green Day sell outs are probably sell outs themselves because they spend their whole life caring about stupid stuff.

But that's my humble opinion :P

Just saw this and I thought I should post it:

4674709346_f23425aebc_b.jpg

4674086495_4b8bf2c4d0_b.jpg

apart that part about Johnny Rotten... :P

No. No. No! No. No. Nooo. Nooooo. Noooooo. Nooooooooooooo!

Just kidding but really, Like you said i'm only 16 so i've known them since i was 8 since the American Idiot era so i really didn't grow up with them and maybe if i did my feelings would be different?

But the only time i ever felt like they betrayed themselves is the Oh Love video because i

remember them specifically saying they weren't a band that were all about sex and drugs and crap and i always taught they respected women a bit more, and that and other lyrics in the trilogy didn't quite make me think so.

But, that's enough to forgive i mean it was a stupid video and it's not like they probably planned it. I think when they were a younger band ironically that's when they actually cared about their image. They turned down the Rolling Stones (i'm guessing just to be cool and not get picked on, could be argued for sure though), they used to act like total pricks and spit on people, (okay kind of cool i guess? Not really what i would want to happen to me at a concert). I feel like sometimes they tried to have a punk "image". After Good Riddance is when people said they changed and grew up and REALLY sold out. I'm going to have to disagree and say that's when they stopped caring about what other people expected from them and did what THEY wanted.

Isn't that what being punks about? Doing what YOU want?

I think they just kind of go with the flow now and that's what is different about them. Carpe Diem though man, i'm sure Billie wants to fulfill his life and if that means "hey i want to try going on the voice!" I say let him. The ones constantly labeling Green Day sell outs are probably sell outs themselves because they spend their whole life caring about stupid stuff.

But that's my humble opinion :P

I know what you mean about the Oh Love video, although I think people sometimes forget they did something very similar thing with Holiday. Watching Oh Love did kind of surprise me, but I see it and the rest of the trilogy as a sort of a midlife crisis so it is excusable :P and I agree that the spitting on people thing was not natural. There's videos on YouTube from the Gilman Street era where Billie Joe is telling crowd surfers to watch out for a low ceiling or a wire or something. It just seems the band was less aggressive and rough and more caring than their counterparts.

Seriously, this is actually so funny! Do you know who put this up or where?

Nah, you're ignorant if you think that.

Care to expand?

TN2.gif

To me being a "sellout" would mean they signed to a major label to be everything they said for years they didn't want to be; appearing everywhere or putting their face on every possible product.

The truth is that Green Day has always been true to their roots, and has always been about the music. Even the times where they tried different things (like acting) were something good and entertaining to watch. :)

4674709346_f23425aebc_b.jpg

4674086495_4b8bf2c4d0_b.jpg

Fantastic. I don't mind people criticising Green Day for the musical complexity of some of their songs, but if your argument is 'they're not punk', then you can just get out.

To me, to be a "sellout" is when you don't create music you want. Green Day isn't. Green Day is a band which is in the same case of Led Zeppelin, AC/DC or Metallica. Theses bands didn't change their sound to appeal a mainstream public. Also, they write their own stuff.

I think Justin Bieber is a sell-out. The guy have musical talent (I read he can play drums & guitar) but it's wasted because he makes this shitty thing. And there are always some producers who write his songs.

To me, to be a "sellout" is when you don't create music you want. Green Day isn't. Green Day is a band which is in the same case of Led Zeppelin, AC/DC or Metallica. Theses bands didn't change their sound to appeal a mainstream public. Also, they write their own stuff.

I think Justin Bieber is a sell-out. The guy have musical talent (I read he can play drums & guitar) but it's wasted because he makes this shitty thing. And there are always some producers who write his songs.

Metallica are the kings of sell outs there is lmao

And Bieber wrote the lyrics to 11 put of 13 songs on his last cd ...

No, not really, But I think Billie may have purposely written songs like Amy, to gain a bit of attention. Just little changes here and there to sell more I think, but not a lot, and that doesn't mean they aren't good songs and I wouldn't consider that to be 'truly' selling out.

If you want bands that sold out look Maroon 5, the rest of them don't even do anything now they just have pop beats in the background while the singer sings cheesy pop songs, like Moves Like Jagger, Pay-phone, One More Night etc. and another one Good Charlotte, first he's singing about his school and stuff, then sings about life, girlfriends and fame, then out of nowhere starts making songs about what he's wearing, and hangovers and shit.

I respect all opinions as well. I just find it irritating when someone goes "Kid, I you were in diapers when Dookie came out" or when someone says something like "I actually lived through '94 and blah blah blah" its just comes off as condescending to me. If more explanation could be given besides that assholy statement than that's much preferred. Unfortunately I've only seen the former happen to me personally. But very well said Tim.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, I never said "read through history" nor did I say "kid, you were in diapers" so don't put words in my mouth. It's not an "assholy" statement that I was there, because I was. I'm sorry you're offended by that. By misquoting me and saying "blah blah blah" and "keep hoping" you're doing the exact thing you're accusing ME of doing which is being condescending. I don't think I'm any better than anybody else because I was alive in 94 I'm defending your and my favorite band that they are not sellouts.

Can't we all just get along?? (another "older people" reference---Rodney King 1992! :P )

Whoa, whoa, whoa, I never said "read through history" nor did I say "kid, you were in diapers" so don't put words in my mouth. It's not an "assholy" statement that I was there, because I was. I'm sorry you're offended by that. By misquoting me and saying "blah blah blah" and "keep hoping" you're doing the exact thing you're accusing ME of doing which is being condescending. I don't think I'm any better than anybody else because I was alive in 94 I'm defending your and my favorite band that they are not sellouts.

Can't we all just get along?? (another "older people" reference---Rodney King 1992! :P )

I wasn't talking about you specifically with that "kids in diapers" example. I was referring to other people on this site who have used that phrase against me during a discussion. And you did say "living through history is better than reading about it".

Archived