Why is there so much hate for Green Day?

Todd

Because they know they are more talented than the pop and electronic artist they listen to, and they have to say something to try to defend what they like.

See, my female best friend became a belieber in 2009. We had lost some touch, but in 2012 we recovered it. She know I don't like Justin Bieber (I didn't before she became his fan either), and whenever she asked me why I gave them more solid reasons than she was expecting. She obviously gave me the typical belieber excuses: 'he didn't say that', 'it's just a rumour', 'it's damn sweet', 'we beliebers like that'. The thing is: When I first showed her Green Day she liked them and sometimes she was even singing Wake Me Up When September Ends and told me when she heard AI or WMUWSE on the radio. After iHeart, she used what Billie said about Bieber (nothing really) to say she doesn't like Green Day and she hates them as much as I hate Bieber. Well, that's obviously false whens he liked them just a week before. Now whenever I read a funny story about Green Day (like when they gave some trouble in that hotel in '97) she says they're pathetic and they only tried to call attention. Even once she said Billie's rant was only because he was trying to make some publicity because no one is gonna buy their albums!

So the conclusion is: They don't hate them, they say they hate them either to protect the artists they like or because it mainstream. I'm not saying no one hates Green Day, but it's undeniable that it's hard to hate them.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because you can't do something wrong when you hate a band - when you like a band..., well,... then you took a stand -> OPEN FIRE

Because they know they are more talented than the pop and electronic artist they listen to, and they have to say something to try to defend what they like.

See, my female best friend became a belieber in 2009. We had lost some touch, but in 2012 we recovered it. She know I don't like Justin Bieber (I didn't before she became his fan either), and whenever she asked me why I gave them more solid reasons than she was expecting. She obviously gave me the typical belieber excuses: 'he didn't say that', 'it's just a rumour', 'it's damn sweet', 'we beliebers like that'. The thing is: When I first showed her Green Day she liked them and sometimes she was even singing Wake Me Up When September Ends and told me when she heard AI or WMUWSE on the radio. After iHeart, she used what Billie said about Bieber (nothing really) to say she doesn't like Green Day and she hates them as much as I hate Bieber. Well, that's obviously false whens he liked them just a week before. Now whenever I read a funny story about Green Day (like when they gave some trouble in that hotel in '97) she says they're pathetic and they only tried to call attention. Even once she said Billie's rant was only because he was trying to make some publicity because no one is gonna buy their albums!

So the conclusion is: They don't hate them, they say they hate them either to protect the artists they like or because it mainstream. I'm not saying no one hates Green Day, but it's undeniable that it's hard to hate them.

I had this friend who would think it was cool that I was a Green Day fan, then a year later in 7th grade she would say they suck because other people would tease me because I'm a Green Day fan and tease me because of other things to. She started ignoring me and hate on everything I liked because everyone else did that. One time she said she liked Blink 182 and I said liked them too, then a week later she said they suck.

I think it might partially be down to the fans? Green Day seems to have attracted a very young fanbase compared with similar bands, and people just assume this is because the band has gone all soft (which obviously isn't the case).

The "xDDDD" ":PPPPP" ":DDDDD" sort of thing doesn't really help the fanbase out either.

Well alot of people here are over 30, over 40 and even over 50. My 60 year old music teacher likes them, not only their old stuff.

Also about the very young fanbase... well, that we are young doesn't mean they've sold out. Not all teenagers are pop listeners. Actually, I find us teenagers the most ragey and rebel. I find that aregument for hating Green Day pretty bad. I was depressed and angry and at an appropiate time I found them and I love them, then they helped me and I instantly connected with them. I don't need to be at least in my 20s to do that.

So my point is... Who the fuck gives a shit, you either like them or you don't. If people would just stop with all the "what genre is this?" and blah, blah, blah, just listen to the music you like whatever the genre is.

Just like this. Who cares who likes or dislikes whom? It´s not my concern. I listen to GD, and I give a fuck whether others like them or not, whether they sell out or not, whether they are top or flop. I just don´t care, ´cause I like them. Don´t care what others think about them. ;)

Well, I think that this whole Green Day hate goes deeper than the debate whether they've sold out or not. The problem is actually the time Green Day's spent on the music stage. In the 90s they made a punk rock music revival. In 2004 they became a " political band" somehow narrating the world around us. In 2009 Green Day continued that way. These two albums can be used as a history book for these years.

But now - BJA, Mike, Tre&Jason possibly wanted to do something lighter - not punk rock operas, anthems and so on. Just songs that were being made in order to stop us from thinking about serious things only. We do it our whole lives, for godness sake! To See the light! The Trilogy's aim is to tell us to go our own, chosen way; don't let the others tell us what's good for us-and tell them to shut up; to sometimes party until it starts to dawn ( if we feel the need to ) and to stop before it;s too late; to think about the people we love and about the love itself; our friends, families; and to not look away - because it'll get us nowhere.

With the change of the topics went the music - instead of the powerful Marshall sound we have the power of simplicity.

And that's the whole problem. In my opinion people feel the need to have someone who will talk about the problems throught the radio, CD's and from the stages of the arenas and concert halls. But now they got another information - CARPE DIEM, maybe it's not that bad, maybe we shouldn't be more and more depressed - just look at the things from perspective and to get into things what we can really change everyday, like our relationships, fighting with the demons from the past...

Sadly, many of us wanted another stuff, and the words - SMILE YOU'RE LIVING - aren't the ones we want to hear the most. And the critics complain about easy melodies - and why should we always do difficult things? Sometimes the best way is the easiest way.

That's just my opinion though.

And I love Green Day the way they are.

I couldn't care less about other peoples opinions on them to be honest. Why should I feel ashamed of liking a band when their music has done so much for me in life?

I've never really experienced much hate for Green Day where i live - more like people being unaware of them. several times i've had to say "don't wanna be an American Idiot" and people go "oh that band, have they done other songs then?" :angry

other hate probably just stems from jealousy of their success and popularity. personal taste is personal taste - i can't stand almost all modern music and it's hard not to hate on it, esp the likes of 1D and Justin Beiber who i can't help find annoying, but actually no very little about.

i think time will show Green Day in a very good light, just like The Clash and The Who. the quality of music is there, as is the huge shows and masses of fans. they will be remembered for a very long time and for (mostly) the right reasons. (sorry i'm sounding like they've broken up or something but you know what i mean!)

That's true. Isn't Johnny Rotten doing comercials nowadays? He's doing exactly what he considers un-punk, fuckig hypocrite.

Johnny Rotten's doing butter commercials in the U.K because he is true punk rock. He hates the mainstream and advertises butter. He's so hypocritical I love him with all of my heart.

Who cares really? Let them haters hate... why should we in the first place find excuses for them? ''because they're gay'' ''because they're sell-outs'' ''because they're not punk enough'' ''they're emo'' ''their fanbase are just teenage girls'' - yeah, haters gonna hate, but they don't know enough to know better

--

''Those people who shun us just because of the label we're on, or the fact that we've got a video out there that's getting us somewhere, are only limiting themselves, because they aren't keeping an open mind. Besides, no band has ever given us shit for our career path. It's mostly just jaded punkers. And if that's the way they're gonna be, I'd rather have someone who doesn't know a thing about punk coming to our shows, 'cause they're the ones who like it for what it is, not for what it isn't''

At first, the level of hate I witnessed on the internet and amongst certain people that I know bothered me. Then, I watched this:

And this:

Eighteen years after Dookie, eight years after American Idiot, three after 21CB and people are still rushing to get a glimpse of them. Everything and everyone has haters, dude. What matters is whether you have enough of a fan base to make up for it. And Green Day clearly do.

That is beautiful!

I've been bothered a lot by what people say about Green Day, but then I am reminded by interacting with other fans of just how much love and admiration there is for them. I honestly don't think there are many other bands that have such a passionate following as Green Day and that makes me happy. Not only that, but Green Day fans love Green Day because the band loves them back and gives them so much. I have never come across another band who is as interactive with and truly caring toward their fans. That is part of what makes them so wonderful and it may also be a reason for why people hate or dislike them. Those people may be scared of Green Day's attitude toward fans because it's not very typical at all. They think that just because they're high and mighty celebrities that they're just like all the other ones. Maybe they think Green Day puts on an act and only pretends to care about their fans but are really shallow under the surface. A true Green Day fan knows that couldn't be farther from the truth, but maybe someone who says they hate Green Day has simply never allowed themselves to grow that close. Of course this is all speculative and I may be totally off the mark, but it's something to think about I guess.

I'm pretty much totally desensitized to the hate at this point.

But if I'm being totally fucking honest, Green Day can do no wrong in my eyes. Fuck it, it's true.

I don't know :mellow: Not that I wonder everybody "hey, why do you hate Green Day?" :rolleyes:

But not only from, let's just call it "normal people", but also from some media, to me :ermm: It's weird because what's not to love about them? :lol: But then again, that's just me.

If I don't like something, I can say it; but what a lot people do is going wherever they can write shit on, and they vomit everything.

The other day I was looking for a performance on youtube; and one of the videos had only one comment saying "shit song, shit band" And if you don't like it or hate it, why you even bother? BECAUSE YOU FUCKING CARE ANYWAY or, you have nothing else to do.

I don't care if others hate them, I care that I love them and I have no time to hear/read to stupid people :) So if they don't like it, whatever...

a-ha.gif

But DON'T INSULT THEM :mad:

Only just realised what F.O.D stands for...haha.

What does it stand for...? I found so many explanations... :huh:

They're very mainstream, the whole "sell-out" thing with American Idiot, questionable wardrobe (eyeliner was wack), and it's the cool thing to do.

What does it stand for...? I found so many explanations... :huh:

Fuck Off and Die

Fuck Off and Die

:o no need to be so rude, they only asked what FOD stands for!

here are some arguments that i have heard before..

"they're 40 year old men who wear eyeliner and think that they're still teenagers" yeah, well...not really, but okay

"they r emo!!! and they shop at hot topic!!" not even going to comment on that one

"they're total sellouts, i can't turn on the tv without hearing some commercial with their song on it", which is what my mom said surprisingly, considering she loved them in the 90's

"they've changed way too much, going from being bratty punks to obnoxious old men who think they know politics"

the list goes on. i mean people will hate on any band/artist if they don't like one aspect of them, whether if it's their appearance or how they sound. the level for hate for green day is pretty out of the water though, they definitely attract more hate than a lot of other bands for some reason.

And again, you can't compare the who and the stones to green day, they're rock pioneers and royalty, although they have gone through long periods of time where they weren't making really good music, but instead in pursuit of the buck, which i have seen them get hate for.

People say that they hate rock band because they say they love Metal and think that the other music is shit but they don't love metal they listem to it just to seem cool but they're not. Why do you have to hate rock band at least they're not Justin Bieber.

Archived