"Our heroes following rules that they once disobeyed." - A reflexion about Green Day

Moyeszet

it's been a lot of these kind of threads showing up latley, hasn't it? It's a bit worrying.

I have never really understood the term sellout and the way it's being used, what's so wrong with promoting yourself?

I find it strange what people choose to get upset about.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there...never called her stupid

Given Billie's numerous mentions on Robert Patterson (sometimes in a rather positive light) how do you know they really hated Twilight? All they ever said was "like Twilight but good"...think you'll find it's the Green Day FANS that hate it.

When did they say they hate modern technology lmao?

Seriously...they make one song (Nightlife with rap elements which by the way bands like No Doubt were doing fifteen years ago) and that disregards any and all "rock n roll" songs they have ever done...alrighty then.

Also i can chose what parts of a discussion i chose to respond to...

Of course you can, but when we're discussing about Green Day i don't think it's necessary to tell your opinion about her. It's not a discussion about throwing away Green Day posters or how young she is. This discussion is about the band, their promoting, or call it whatever you want.

He said Pattinson is a talented actor, but he also mentioned - as you wrote above - he's opinion about Twilight.

If you say you want to keep rock&roll alive and stuff, you just don't collaborate with a rap artist and make that song. You fight against that kind of music, not write a song for it.

There used to be a guy on this forum who around before me, a British dude who always had great sarcastic comments. When Green Day ended up going on American Idol, there was a debate about selling out, and he said something like "it's okay to tease the corporate cock but Green Day have full-on deep throated it."

It is clear to me commercial success is very important to them, I would think at this point it is less about money and more about fame. I really doubt Green Day is so shallow to worry about their own personal fortunes anymore which I'm sure are enormous, but in a sense I think they are measuring how well they do as a band by how much money they make for Warner. Not literally, but I think if they ever said they could be comfortable with their pre-AI levels of popularity again, they'd be lying.

Fact is, the trilogies have been rather underwhelming in the mainstream, and I think all the self-promotional actions they have taken represent a desire to overcome that hurdle. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with it but clearly they do want records to sell, they do want to be in the spotlight, and they do "give a fuck" what others think even if they say otherwise.

There used to be a guy on this forum who around before me, a British dude who always had great sarcastic comments. When Green Day ended up going on American Idol, there was a debate about selling out, and he said something like "it's okay to tease the corporate cock but Green Day have full-on deep throated it."

It is clear to me commercial success is very important to them, I would think at this point it is less about money and more about fame. I really doubt Green Day is so shallow to worry about their own personal fortunes anymore which I'm sure are enormous, but in a sense I think they are measuring how well they do as a band by how much money they make for Warner. Not literally, but I think if they ever said they could be comfortable with their pre-AI levels of popularity again, they'd be lying.

Fact is, the trilogies have been rather underwhelming in the mainstream, and I think all the self-promotional actions they have taken represent a desire to overcome that hurdle. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with it but clearly they do want records to sell, they do want to be in the spotlight, and they do "give a fuck" what others think even if they say otherwise.

How do you know that? Do you know them personally?

Of course you can, but when we're discussing about Green Day i don't think it's necessary to tell your opinion about her. It's not a discussion about throwing away Green Day posters or how young she is. This discussion is about the band, their promoting, or call it whatever you want.

He said Pattinson is a talented actor, but he also mentioned - as you wrote above - he's opinion about Twilight.

If you say you want to keep rock&roll alive and stuff, you just don't collaborate with a rap artist and make that song. You fight against that kind of music, not write a song for it.

Dear God...really? Did you read her first post? She was the one talking about taking down her Green Day posters...i'm sorry but that was too funny to ignore. It wasn't "my opinion about her"...it was a direct referrence to that fact.

Yes...he mentioned Twilight (as i mentioned above)...wouldn't go so far as to call it an opinion as such and it certainly wasn't damning "like Twilight but better" ...i could say "this icecream tastes like chocolate but better"...see?

And finally ...you don't like Nightlife...seriously get over it (you will find they have written a LOT of songs you may like)...their music they can do whatever they want...narrow-mindedness gets you nowhere in life. Check out the Clash...hardly straightforward punk...they experimented and it changed the face of punk...and it ruled. (you could just skip the song).

though his comment about Twilight was maybe just a joke that we all take way too serious and it's not like they wrote the song for Twilight, Twilight took their song...

...i actually love Nightlife, it's my favorite song off Dos and that although i don't really like rap...also this is just one song and not a whole album and Green Day wanted to make something new, imo nothing wrong with it...and there's loads of rock bands who either cooperate with rap artists or use rap constanlty in their songs, e.g. Linkin Park and they are still considered a rock band...

(and a bit off topic probably but my friend and me once tried to write a song, she had the lyrics and we wanted to write the music to it, then there didn't come any melody to my mind, so i just started to rap as a joke and well, it was totally funny...and my band is still a punk band and not a hip hop band...)

and you can keep rock n' roll alive even if you make a rap song...

I honestly believe Green Day (Billie, Mike and Tre) got into music to play music...they roll with whatever comes their way (as in they signed to a major so as to see their records on shelves in stores and get their music out there), since then they have had extraordinary success around the globe and were more than happy to play to the masses but it was still all about the music. They live for it. They aren't idiots...they take risks and they will play probably till they die and will be happy once they are onstage. Any suggestion that they measure anything by Warner is laughable imo as they were doing this long before Warner was a consideration to them and possibly long after they leave them. They probably would prefer number one albums (that has to be nice) but i honestly believe they will always be comfortable on stage with instruments regardless.

because its a fuckin difference. you dont have to be punk to keep credibility and your fucking soul. they are fucking multiple millionairs. they dont have to do anything warner tells them.

thats because you maybe have different values than others... they could provide 1000 families without raising their ticket prizes like that. and then playing 25 songs in germany... sound like an egoistic rockstar thing to do (see oh love video). if you dont care if the members of the band you like are assholes, your thing. accept others care.

thats just naive. i know it from many other bands that they do have a big influence on ticket prizes. thats why they used to be really fair prized. i wont go to a show with this prizes and i hope they will fall on their asses with that and shows won't sell out.

People are in this life to get ahead. Stop being butthurt about it.

As for the ticket prices, when I last saw them they were €40. That's €20 CHEAPER than any comparable band out there. And Ireland is one of the most expensive countries in the world for big concerts. And they always have a monster 30 song setlist. So I'd never complain. You get bang for your buck.

As for the whole punk thing, just fuck off. Seriously. Green Day never set out to be punks, and never claimed to be. Stop pushing your bullshit ideals onto some guys who like to make music.

Green Day play large ass venues. Compared to most other bands out there who play the same venues, their ticket prices are much cheaper. There's a lot that goes into putting on an arena rock show, a lot of costs that you wouldn't think. They even said that they lost money on the 21CB tour. They still charge small prices for their one off club shows.

People are in this life to get ahead. Stop being butthurt about it.

As for the ticket prices, when I last saw them they were €40. That's €20 CHEAPER than any comparable band out there. And Ireland is one of the most expensive countries in the world for big concerts. And they always have a monster 30 song setlist. So I'd never complain. You get bang for your buck.

As for the whole punk thing, just fuck off. Seriously. Green Day never set out to be punks, and never claimed to be. Stop pushing your bullshit ideals onto some guys who like to make music.

nobody ever talked about punk, so you fuck off. THEY WERE 40€! we are talking about green day right NOW! your argumentation is just risible and self contradicting.

nobody ever talked about punk, so you fuck off. THEY WERE 40€! we are talking about green day right NOW! your argumentation is just risible and self contradicting.

You're the one complaining about them making so much money. As if you'd do any different were you in their place.

Please show me where I contradicted myself, by the way. And risibilty is a matter of opinion. I think much the same of you.

It's funny to see how some of you feel so intimidated by the pop industry; "They're sellouts," lol. What you fail to realize is that Green Day has been part of the pop culture since 1994, when Dookie sold millions of copies all over the world. And they're still part of the pop culture. Maybe they're not setting trends at the moment, but in 2005 American Idiot was the highest-selling album of the year. It outsold Madonna's "Confessions On A Dancefloor," hahah.

You need to come to terms with the fact Green Day is a mainstream, popular band. It's pretty much impossible for these guys to live by the punk ideals when they're outselling freaking Madonna and being nominated for every other award.

If My Chemical Romance could do that they didn't accept the Twilight contract, Green Day could do it.

1. Billie Joe being in the voice isn't selling out, he got a proposal and he accepted. Selling out is changing the style of their music just to gain fans and fame. That can't be applied to Green Day, since they first changed their style for American Idiot because theyt hought they couldn't be in their 30s and singing about maturbation so they decided to change. Now they changed again their style because they want, I don't think they even care about fame and money anymore when they have a pretty consistent and loyal fanbase and lots of millions in the bank. That thing Billie's doing is called ''promotion''. So if you're gonna call someone a sell-out learn what the term means first of all.

2. It's just dumb not buying either ¡Dos! or ¡Tré! because you don't like Billie's attitude. If you still like their music like it for what it is.

3. I don't understand why buying clothes from Asia is hypocritical. I'm in the working class and I still buy clothes from wherever the hell they come. That they defend working class and stillc onsider them a part of it doesn't meant hey have to become an ONG and buy only products that have a red sticker guarateeing that no people from the third world have worked on it. If they didn't buy clothes from Asia that could be considered even racist. Plus, making clothes is the job many Asian people has, so that actually gives them so money that they buy their clothes instead of buying clothes made in Europe or America, that already have a lot of money compared to Asia.

yeah that just supports my point. they suddenly changed from being a mainstream band left with some credibility to pseudo rockstars. its been 23 songs (thanks for the correction) for 90 dollars in germany this year.

Are you just hear to bitch and moan. Because if you are go elsewhere. Also I would bet you will still end up buying tickets to Green Day regardless of the price this time around. Dont be a hypocrite

Since when did punk have rules?

I'm not coming with another argument because I don't have time to argue, plus we all know you're wrong so...

If My Chemical Romance could do that they didn't accept the Twilight contract, Green Day could do it.

Well, despite being featured in the Twilight soundtrack, the song is still flopping. So I guess you punkies should be glad, since what you really want is for Green Day not to succeed.

Well, despite being featured in the Twilight soundtrack, the song is still flopping. So I guess you punkies should be glad, since what you really want is for Green Day not to succeed.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, that's funny.

Is that make Green Day succesful that they have a video for the dumbest movie ever? In my opinion they're succesful when they make a great record that is the record of the decade, gets a bunch of awards, changing people's life, selling a lot of copies.

You're the one complaining about them making so much money. As if you'd do any different were you in their place.

Please show me where I contradicted myself, by the way. And risibilty is a matter of opinion. I think much the same of you.

Enough with the fucking off and the go somewhere else-ing please. This being an internet forum, opinions are welcome here. I'd kindly request that you find a way to state that opinion without telling someone else to fuck off.

"People change as well as minds"

I think they've had enough this "sell-out" "not punk" thing back in 1994. I don't agree with what you're saying, but like some people here said you're going through a phase. You're no longer into Green Day and that's perfectly fine.

I became a fan of the band when I was 15, right after American Idiot came out. At the time, I loved bands like MCR, Lostprophets, Yellowcard, The Used..... it was insane. Today, I still have these bands' music on my iPods, but I honestly can't tell you the last time that I didn't skip their songs. It's not because of their image or anything like that, it's simply because I've grown out of them, for lack of a better term. I still respect the bands, they still hold a place in my life. Hell, that was a monumental time for me in music when I first actually got into music.

Everyone also thought I'd grow out of Green Day. Friends look through my iPod and we all laugh at the bands included in there, but with Green Day, this is my fucking band. It doesn't matter what people say about them, I'm still going to love their music regardless. I grew up with little-to-no friends throughout school. Hell, I'm on my college campus now, I never talk to anybody. I'm only social with a select few people. Green Day has been my loyal friend for about 8 years now. I've put their music on when I'm having the worst day of my life, before water polo games in high school to pump me up (usually King For A Day), before going to concerts, when I feel great, when I'm driving....anywhere. Any mood, Green Day is there for me to bring me up, or just cry with me.

So no matter where this band may go with you, just keep in mind that these bands hold a special place in your life, regardless of your age. Come to terms with the fact that you most likely will grow out of a lot of music as you get older. I thought I'd like these bands forever, turns out, I like pretty mature music. I LOATHED Arcade Fire when they were out a few years ago, same with Queens of the Stone Age. Now I love them. It just goes to show that tastes change, but always stay true to yourself. Don't let music define you, don't let a style define you. Don't stick to, "well that's not punk," because, well, not a whole lot IS punk anymore. Green Day's attitun is punk, but I wouldn't say that their music is punk in the grand scheme of things. They have punk-like songs, but overall I wouldn't use the punk label. To me, this band doesn't have a label. They are everything to me. My music tastes outside of this band should signal that I don't like Green Day, but this band will ALWAYS be important to me.

Stop trying to label things. Stop trying to justify everything. Just stick to what you like, who gives a shit what other people think, and just enjoy the music, man. :)

Ninja Edit: I forgot to address the "selling out." The Black Keys said something recently against claims that they sold out, saying something along the lines of, "this is our job and this is how we make money to live." Look, Green Day is probably set forever if they stop right now. They're having fun and doing what they love. The only way that they can continue to do what they love is to keep the monetary flow. In today's world, the dollar doesn't go as far as it used to, so they have no choice but to do more.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, that's funny.

Is that make Green Day succesful that they have a video for the dumbest movie ever? In my opinion they're succesful when they make a great record that is the record of the decade, gets a bunch of awards, changing people's life, selling a lot of copies.

No it doesn't make them successful, especially since the video is struggling to get 2 million views on Youtube. So yeah, they have a song featured in the soundtrack of what you consider to be the "dumbest movie ever," but does it really matter? That's not what they're known for. You'll never hear anyone refer to Green Day as the band featured in the Twilight soundtrack.

Get over it.

Why do Green Day fans like to piss off other Green Day fans with this shit? and... "reflexion"....really? Tell me... were you drunk when you wrote this? It takes a lot of effort to rant like that. I see no point in your post

Why do Green Day fans like to piss off other Green Day fans with this shit? and... "reflexion"....really? Tell me... were you drunk when you wrote this? It takes a lot of effort to rant like that. I see no point in your post

Rule #1: Don't be a dick.

Observation #1: You're being a dick.

Archived