"Our heroes following rules that they once disobeyed." - A reflexion about Green Day

Moyeszet

okay so you don't like them as much as before because of The Voice and Twilight? ...okay...i don't want to try to change you opinion now, i just wanna tell you what i think of it:

in my opinion there's still a difference between casting shows such as x factor and The Voice, cos in the voice it's about the music and nothing else...at e.g. x factor it's also about looks and the stage performance and to me it's absolutely fine when he goes to The Voice, sure, it's still a casting show and nothing where i'd go but it's at least better than other casting shows and it's also a good promotion for the albums, i can totally see why he went there

and now to twilight: it's not like they wrote a song for twilight, the producers of twiliht just came to green day and asked them whether they could use their already written and most probably already destined to be on the album song...and now be honest: who would not say yes in that situation? there's an absolutely popular movie that you've maybe even seen yourself and they ask YOU whether they could take your song...i personally would say yes, i'm not a huge fan of twilight, but i think it's an okay movie, but alone the fact that someone asks me to play my music in a movie would make me say yes :D ...and okay, let's not forget it: it's a GREAT way of promoting the albums and making some extra money :P

and idk i think it's normal when bands promote their albums, everyone tries to get some money for their hard work even if they're as down to earth as you could be and really just make music cos they like it, but let's not forget the fact that it's also their job...

and uhm btw...releasing 3 albums is something great and not something bad...

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They were working for a big record company when they released Dookie, Insomniac, Nimrod, or American Idiot, 21st Century Breakdown, but i think this is the first time when they do things like that... Or this much weird mainstream thing.

I think they've been in TV-shows or made some public appearances on every era.

Sorry but your life story is hardly thread worthy. In the few sentences that actually had a point, you talk about how the marketing is upsetting you. What i still dont understand is how that effects us as the fans. Green Day is losing the media spot light as all bands do after a monumental record so the band and the record company are doing what they can to keep them in peoples thoughts. It's the bands problem not ours. As long as the music and live shows are delivered, what else can you really ask for? If you're throwing green day away over this then what did they really mean to you? GD has never really cared about their image, but to you its more important than the music. oh well, cheers mate

I understand your point. My narcissistic part has been digressing, so I was editing right now.

The problem IS the live shows, too. They've always said their shows would have accessible prices but did you see the price for Emirates in the UK? 60 pounds. SIXTY POUNDS. How the hell is this affordable?

Fair points.

They still decide if they want their song to be sold for the soundtrack of a movie or if they want to appear on some reality TV show. I agree they're still the same people, it's something I've always said as a Green Day fan. But if for twenty years, and even after AI, they still haven't sold out, I don't see why they should now. Why are Warner being even bigger asses all of a sudden? It's just unsettling and upsetting. We DON'T want them to become U2, do we?

Of course it's upsetting, but what in this nowaday world is not? I work for a shitty company and might not agree with all their activity or something like that, but I need work for the money. And Green Day is working for Warner. This is their job.

And trust me, Green Day is not going to be U2.0 :)

I've said this to a few other people on this forum.

You're 15. We've all been there. You think you know everything there is to know about music. You're discovering all these new bands, and yes they're great. They play music that you feel, that you can identify with. And that's cool and fine.

But chances are you'll forget about 90% of these bands. A few will stay with you, but the rest will be lost. Then, in a few years, you'll pick up Nimrod, or Warning, or American Idiot, and you'll remember Green Day. You'll fall in love with them again. You'll realise that what you once saw as "selling out" was just them growing and maturing, like you did yourself. And that's what makes them great. What makes them stand out compared to bands like the Sex Pistols, or your Lostprophets, or any of those hardcore screamo bands you like now. Green Day can do more than bash out 3 chords fast. They can create songs, all kinds of songs.

Give it a few years. Then you'll come back and read your OP and laugh at yourself. We all think these things. And we all get over them.

I think they've been in TV-shows or made some public appearances on every era.

I don't care about making public appearances in talkshows and shit, i care about these stupid things like actually being a mentor in the Voice.

It's not like talking 10 minutes with Letterman.

You claim that this whole "ohmigawdzz, they're not punk enough!" thing stupid (I agree, by the way) is, but then proceed to list things they've (or... Bille) sold themselves out with? Mhhm.

The fact that you change your clothing along with the style of music you listen to pretty much sums it up for me.

Dos had some questionable moments it's true.

The band can't be making songs like Fuck Time and Nightlife.

They can do whatever the fuck they like. If you don't like them, tough titties. They're the ones who make the music.

I love topics like this...they are a perfect mixture of comedy and teenage angst (really good comedy :lol: ). If only i didn't have a crazy high temperature and the inability to focus on anything for more than ten seconds (fuck you sinus infection! :sick: ) i might have some fun with this.

All i will say is

a) Shock of horrors a fifteen year old changes his posters

b) Lost Prophets hahahahaha

c) Love how Billie's attitude has changed so much but not Tre/Mike ...you do realise they are all in the same band and promotion (angry birds etc that bugs you) is BAND promotion...and most likely Warners idea?

d) You love real punk ideals etc but eyeliner on guys makes you cringe...seems you actually just care about image to me. You may now google/youtube search Green Day from 1991 (you know before you were born) and you will find they were wearing eyeliner (and sometimes dresses) then. It wasn't some trend...which is more than i can say for your interest in them.

e) You are young but it doesn't excuse your lack of knowledge about a person you are criticising personally...Billie (and the other GD guys) used drugs long before they were ever on MTV...everyone and their mum knows that!! Congrats...you are FIFTEEN and straightedge...must be challenging...all that temptation at fifteen...Whatever dude...i am 28 and straightedge and i couldn't give a shit that the guys do or did any or all kinds of drugs. Being straightedge is MY personal choice and not something i even tell people normally and the same goes for people who chose to use drugs...who the fuck am i to judge anyone? And who the fuck are you? Plus I'm 28...i live at my parents (because after five years of college and a masters degree i can't get a freaking job...fuck the economy!) but i have nothing but respect for Green Day and it doesn't make me anymore "punk" than anyone else...it just makes me broke...you will grow up.

Toodles...

When you grow a bit older you'll realize that:

1. you can like all kinds of music, and not just one genre

2. you can dress the way YOU like, and it may or may not be the style that your favorite band / genre is

3. it's good to have opinions, but you have to be prepared to change them, because they WILL change

4. nothing stays the same forever, and nothing in the universe happens just once :happy:

Once you've learned those things you'll find out that it's pointless to bash one band and love another to death, and you can just enjoy the music without all the "fandom wank". It took me almost 30 years to realize that.

Good writing though, I'm glad they helped you to learn English! :)

well the music in the movie part..Why bring it up now? its not the first time green day has had their music in a shitty movie..its nothing new

I understand your point. My narcissistic part has been digressing, so I was editing right now.

The problem IS the live shows, too. They've always said their shows would have accessible prices but did you see the price for Emirates in the UK? 60 pounds. SIXTY POUNDS. How the hell is this affordable?

Because this is how bands make a living nowadays. Not from selling records but from touring. Yeah they made them dearer but compared to some other bands its still fairly good. They wouldnt make any money of they kept prices as low as did. Yeah i know how that sounds but at the end of the day thats what they do for a living

I don't care about making public appearances in talkshows and shit, i care about these stupid things like actually being a mentor in the Voice.

It's not like talking 10 minutes with Letterman.

It's weird to think that they're not as good as before if Billie Joe appears in few The Voice episodes. Billie Joe was on Haunted episode in 2002, the band was in The Chris Isaac show in the early 2000's. And I think this was waaaaay more lame than The Voice:

I've said this to a few other people on this forum.

You're 15. We've all been there. You think you know everything there is to know about music. You're discovering all these new bands, and yes they're great. They play music that you feel, that you can identify with. And that's cool and fine.

But chances are you'll forget about 90% of these bands. A few will stay with you, but the rest will be lost. Then, in a few years, you'll pick up Nimrod, or Warning, or American Idiot, and you'll remember Green Day. You'll fall in love with them again. You'll realise that what you once saw as "selling out" was just them growing and maturing, like you did yourself. And that's what makes them great. What makes them stand out compared to bands like the Sex Pistols, or your Lostprophets, or any of those hardcore screamo bands you like now. Green Day can do more than bash out 3 chords fast. They can create songs, all kinds of songs.

Give it a few years. Then you'll come back and read your OP and laugh at yourself. We all think these things. And we all get over them.

tut tut. I still love their music so much. Whenever I feel cheerful I always listen to them. Damn I still have a special CD shelf for Gree Day CDs. But it's more about what's to come and what is coming right now.

Fair points.

They still decide if they want their song to be sold for the soundtrack of a movie or if they want to appear on some reality TV show. I agree they're still the same people, it's something I've always said as a Green Day fan. But if for twenty years, and even after AI, they still haven't sold out, I don't see why they should now. Why are Warner being even bigger asses all of a sudden? It's just unsettling and upsetting. We DON'T want them to become U2, do we?

I don't quite understand about the whole getting upset over them "selling out" thing. Green Day are artists, but also businessmen. It's how they make their living and provide for their families.

What right does anyone have to decide whether they should sell a song for a movie soundtrack or market little plastic dollies of themselves? They owe us nothing, if we like their music we listen to it and buy tickets for their shows and if we don't we can go watch X Factor and kiss Simon Cowell's arse. It's a choice we all have.

I do think this post should be there, because she wrote she wants to hear about our opinion. It's not a blog where she's just writing things for us, here we discuss these things, and tell her if we agree or we don't, and why.

They can do whatever the fuck they like. If you don't like them, tough titties. They're the ones who make the music.

Feelings caught.

I don't want my favorite band making garbage rap and Foxboro Hottubs throwaway about fucking when you're 40 with 2 kids. It just looks so stupid.

Because this is how bands make a living nowadays. Not from selling records but from touring. Yeah they made them dearer but compared to some other bands its still fairly good. They wouldnt make any money of they kept prices as low as did. Yeah i know how that sounds but at the end of the day thats what they do for a living

exactly. And most of anything...even if they are the band who's going to play...thay have to PAY TO...they have to pay the crew, staff, security, the organization, the lights, the rent of the premises, rental of the place in which they play, the travel they have to pay to make a recorrd to...you know...

But now enough about me and let's come to the point.

Green Day's attitude, and particularly Billie Joe's (in fact almost only Billie's, Mike and Tré still have that special place in my heart), has infuriated me.

Oh, it's not about the meltdown. Nor the drugs. As a straight edge person (conviction Lostprophets and Rise Against have given me) I disapprove drug use but it's Billie's own business if he decided to do this to himself.

No, the first, main thing, was his appearance in The Voice. It's not futile. It's not unimportant. They sold Green Day's image, Green Day's music, to the world of pop artists who don't write their songs. To the talent shows, to reality TV. Contradicting everything they said they believed in.

It made me so angry. There's a fine line between being mainstream and not punk and selling the fuck out of your soul. And they've stepped beyond it.

Then there was the Twilight soundtrack. I won't even talk about that one, it explains itself.

There surely have been more things, but I stopped caring about what they did, from there. Their new evolution on music aren't in my likes anymore, too, but I won't blame them on that : they do what they what with the music. Evolution is good. But I won't buy Dos nor Tré. It's really their attitude, this thing I thought they would never do, going to try and buy fans away.

It just keeps being worse and worse and it makes me so upset. So I'm moving on. Most of my Green Day posters are going down, except the Dookie one, the one I've got memories with. I still listen to their records, sure, they've been such an inspiration before. But I'm out now. All tis is too hypocritical for me. Billie Joe's constant rambling about working class, when the shirts' fabrication have been taken to Asia. Yep, hypocritical.

I agree with a lot about what you say about the band (not necessarily their music) and your later point about U2 is IMO valid as well - God help us if that happens. Duff (I think or was it Matt ?) of GnR expressed his disapproval of the apology after iHeart, which I thought was a fair point.

Where has the rock'n'roll gone ? Is everything becoming so PC ? But then at my age you judge them by their music not their image.

ticket prices are a whole different matter. if you want huge shows with crazy pyro and lighting its going to cost a lot. its inflation and global recession etc... everything is expensive. Besides, most of the popular mainstream artists right now sell tix for 100 dollars or more. i dont know how to convert pounds

Yup, most of the bands I like live off their shows...but Green Day are very rich, and they will still be able to live the same life if they lower a bit the tickets price like they always have done. 60 pounds is not 60 dollars. 60 pounds is 96 dollars. 100 dollars for a ticket? Fuck no.

But chances are you'll forget about 90% of these bands. A few will stay with you, but the rest will be lost.

Some people might, but I still listen to everything that I've ever liked. I don't listen to them all the time, but I don't think they're crap either.

Archived