Is Green Day losing popularity?

GreenDay98

Popularity is overrated. Actually, I prefer them being less popular. Would it be good that the same peasants that listen to mainstream shit and think Taylor Swift is amazing live were Green Day fans? Hmm I don't think so.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Popularity is overrated. Actually, I prefer them being less popular. Would it be good that the same peasants that listen to mainstream shit and think Taylor Swift is amazing live were Green Day fans? Hmm I don't think so.

But you're a massive Spice Girls fan, right?

We like what we like. Who cares what the majority of people are listening to, it doesn't make a good band worse or a shitty band better.

But you're a massive Spice Girls fan, right?

I'm not. Since I knew Green Day I don't really care about them anymore. And I reckon they're really really bad, I only like them because they remind me of when I was little and had fun with my sister dancing and laughing and all that :)

I'm not. Since I knew Green Day I don't really care about them anymore. And I reckon they're really really bad, I only like them because they remind me of when I was little and had fun with my sister dancing and laughing and all that :)/>

Dancing and laughing is what life is all about, darling :happy:

Dancing and laughing is what life is all about, darling :happy:

Yeah :lol: As long as it's not in a club with awful music

Yeah :lol:/> As long as it's not in a club with awful music

I saw Gaslight Anthem live in Madrid on Friday night, in a small club. The opening act was some screamo woman and we couldn't even make out what language she was screaming singing in :lol:

I saw Gaslight Anthem live in Madrid on Friday night, in a small club. The opening act was some screamo woman and we couldn't even make out what language she was screaming singing in :lol:

hahahahaha! No, I'm referring more to this...

And ontopic: Green Day is certainly losing popularity now. In my opinion is not their fault though, it's only happening because all we can hear in radio now is pop and rock is underrated, critisized and stereotyped (at least in my country: I've been called a baddie because I listen to rock, from the top of my head). And Billie's reference to Justin Bieber, taken as an offense for some reason, doesn't help. But I prefer them unpopular and being true than praising bad artists for some popularity.

I'm not. Since I knew Green Day I don't really care about them anymore. And I reckon they're really really bad, I only like them because they remind me of when I was little and had fun with my sister dancing and laughing and all that :)

I have that with bands like Fall Out Boy or Panic! at the Disco. Just that I still love them a lot.

And ontopic: Green Day is certainly losing popularity now. In my opinion is not their fault though, it's only happening because all we can hear in radio now is pop and rock is underrated, critisized and stereotyped (at least in my country: I've been called a baddie because I listen to rock, from the top of my head). And Billie's reference to Justin Bieber, taken as an offense for some reason, doesn't help. But I prefer them unpopular and being true than praising bad artists for some popularity.

Some of my friends called me a weirdo when they realized I don't have all the "best" songs on my iPod like Call Me Maybe or Boyfriend. But then I stood up to it and was talking about Green Day every day, showing them songs by them, etc. I even had a presentation about them in school this year. I played Jesus of Suburbia but most of the kids got bored after about the 4th minute saying "this is the longest song ever!". But anyway, I actually managed to get about 5 of my friends into Green Day. :D

Some of my friends called me a weirdo when they realized I don't have all the "best" songs on my iPod like Call Me Maybe or Boyfriend. But then I stood up to it and was talking about Green Day every day, showing them songs by them, etc. I even had a presentation about them in school this year. I played Jesus of Suburbia but most of the kids got bored after about the 4th minute saying "this is the longest song ever!". But anyway, I actually managed to get about 5 of my friends into Green Day. :D

Good thing! I showed my friends 'Stray Heart' and they said it's shit -.-'' each time they hear rock for some reason they don't like it, like in the rock concert we had in the break today.

i wanted to make this a topic a while ago but i never really post on here just kinda look at everything.....i think green day had a big chance with these three albums,there was this excitment in the air and this fresh feeling to all the songs that we heard weeks and months befor,the music.there looks and them as a band in general seemed like it was time to take off again. i hate to say this but i think the fact that billie went into rehab fucked them and hard too. now most importanly health is 1st. but this "meltdown" could not have happened at a worse time for the band. i think DOS is some of green days best work,(next to nimrod) but i think in the general charts it will fail. there is no REAL single that is played on "rock" statons at least where i live. if you recall when AI came out and even 21CB the hits were on radio all the time. do i care? not really i still love them joe breaking . we also do not know anything really of whats going on. we see instagram photos heer and there but that tells us nothing. but i can tell ya one think if green day call it a wrap it wont be like this.

lots of bad spelling and grammer there sorry! :S

So because of recent events, the trilogy can't be promoted like it deserves and it may not be the big come back everyone was hoping for. But the boys do tend to hit it big on years ending with 4, so maybe 2014 will be time for their third return to the top. Dookie - 1994 / American Idiot - 2004 / Followup to Trilogy - 2014 / Green Day album #16 - 2024.....

Legit theory, though I can't see them releasing another album by 2014. They'll probably still be on tour then, especially after postponing so much until well into 2013, they're probably hopefully going to do a 2 year tour, unless Green Day makes some major lifestyle shifts for whatever reasons due to Billie's needs.

But maybe they'll get inducted into the Rock hall of fame in 2014 :) Or Tre becomes a super smash hit and would win some Grammys that year :lol:

The reason why Green Day are losing popularity is that a lot of people know that they are releasing 3 albums but most of the persons don't care because they don't listen to Green Day. Plus, i think that Uno, Dos and Tré don't have a lot of commercial.

I became a fan outta the blue in the time between the 21st Century Breakdown and Trilogy era, I don't even exactly remember why and how. So... promotion's not everything. ;)

maybe yes, but to me...they 'll always be the numbers one <3

HE WAS NUMBER ONE!

Popularity comes and goes. "Insomniac", "Nimrod" and "Warning" were not nearly as big as "Dookie", just like "21st Century Breakdown", "Uno", and "Dos" are not nearly as big as "American Idiot". "Tre" will probably be the same way. They may have another hit album a few years from now though. Popularity, however, doesn't matter in the long run. How much you enjoy the music they're playing should be the only thing you care about to be honest. :P

I think it's a pity since these albums are really good, they are way underrated :sad: But I think ¡Tré! is the best of the trilogy so we'll see what happens :)

I guess they are losing popularity because of the domination of music industry by singles rather than albums , & also the artists that are popular now are like manufactured products. ,Not to mention the dumbed down youth of the nation & radio stations

losing popularity? Well...have you seen the latest Mtv Ema ?? Have won Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift ecc ...

this is a clear sign of the fact that now the music is extremely commercial, people wanna listen to stupid song with stupid lyrics, and, you know, The Forgotten is a song with a deep and "severe" text.

But generally, I think that green day haven't got a less popularity and if it is so, it's better!

I prefer less fan (but real) rather a bunch of stupid idiot guys who love green day for a short time just because they are "popular now"

Most people in my school when I tell them there's a new Green Day record coming out I legit get, "They're still around!?" People in this generation don't have favorite bands or artists, they just listen blindly to whatever the radio throws at them. Since the promotion for the trilogy sucks butt and Green Day's music doesn't really get out there to appeal to a wide audience, it's evident that they're not a huge, "Popular" band right now. People still know who they are for sure, they just don't get a taste of their new music, which saddens me. It saddens me the only songs they'll ever know are 21 Guns, WMUWSE, and BOBD. But hey, it's their loss. Most of my favorites bands no one knows at all period so, it happens. As long as us hardcore Green Day fans support them, they'll be aware and I think they'll be happy. Let's be real it was like this for 10 years after Dookie too. And they'll still be legends, how many Rolling Stones songs from the past decade can you actually name? People still know they're around, they just never hear it.

I would answer yes and no in regards to this question. Yes as alot of the American Idiot fan boys/girls have moved onto the next cool thing to listen to like rihanna or david guetta, some crap like that. No in the sense that Green Day has had longtevity and have built up a good fan base over the 20 years they've been playing. When you look at Green Days arena tours they can fill up a 10000-14000 capacity arena, maybe not sell it out but get 85% and above of it full. You look at the likes of Sum 41, The Offspring, Bowling for Soup and maybe even Blink 182 to some extent. These bands could not do an arena tour across 4 continents as ticket sales would be minimal.

Archived