Would You Consider ¡Dos! a Concept Album?

Kuwanger

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't tell a linear story, but there are definitely strong themes present on the album, and on the Trilogy as a whole. The strongest theme seems to be traffic lights... Temptation, and giving in or not... But themes aren't the same thing as a coherent story. Definitely feel there is a line that could be drawn connecting all the songs, though.

No, not really. I think if anything, this entire trilogy is just showing the different sides of Green Day and its various incarnations, and Dos, in particular, is a reflection of Foxoboro Hot Tubs. I view it as a continuation of that alter ego, which I also wouldn't call a concept, because I think it was just about having fun.

To me, the albums are just fucking fun, and it's a nice break from heavy concept albums. Just my opinion, anyway...

¡Dos! is a concept album in the loosest form, not every song plays into the idea of a concept unlike AI, which was a story all the way through :P

Personally, I think of every album ever made as having some sort of concept. Unless the artist literally just slapped on whatever songs they had in no apparent order for no reason, there is some sort of concept behind every album. I think we should be asking whether or not Dos follows any kind of narrative. To me, there is no actual story in Dos. However, I suppose you could analyze the hell out of it and concoct some sort of story out of it.

Even if we all defined concept albums in the same way, it would still be a matter of opinion.

There is no real answer D:

Well I don't think I would consider it a concept album. Yes, the songs are related.. but there's no real twist. He pretty much meets a few girls, some he knew before, some he didn't, and he describes them in several ways. The only real twist in this album is "Amy" which is about partying too much.

Even though some lyrics imply that the narrator might be an assassin O_O but that's just a thought I had..

When I think "concept album" I think American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown and if we're talking in terms of complexity, messages and twists then iDos! isn't even close. An album with songs that relate to each other is not enough IMO.

Archived