¡DOS! Album

Liam

No, I agree with you, actually. I guess all the people I've talked to about not liking it haven't really used that as a reason. I love getting new stuff, new styles of music, I just don't feel like Dos pulled it off. I'm still glad they tried, and it's not a bad album either, it's just mediocre.

Ahhhh It disappoints me that you feel that way, I feel that (for the most part) the band pulls off the musical variety in Dos very well. With some exceptions, the variety never really undermines each individual song as a whole, and certainly not in the way that it affected songs on 21st Century Breakdown. I do see how the different sounds make the album a bit jarring and inconsistent (see transition from Makeout Party to Stray Heart), the album is even a little inaccessible when compared to Uno, but overall I think it's a good album. But I digress; I agree to disagree.

I just want to point out: Didn't Billie say he wrote Boulevard Of Broken Dreams in 5 minutes? That song seems pretty profound and personal - not phoned in.

Just because a song came out quickly doesn't mean it lacks passion or effort. On the contrary, I'd say that in many cases that's when the artist is more inspired and that's why the words come to them so fast. I wouldn't say that always happens, but it's certainly possible.

I don't think that time spent composing a song necessarily correlates with the song's quality or degree of profundity.

I wan't under the impression that people expected a "back to basics" album with Dos.... at least, they shouldn't have anticipated that. Uno was supposed to be a "back to basics" record more similar to their earlier stuff, but they always described Dos as being more experimental and garage-y and Foxboro-y. People should have have been expecting an album that sounds like what Dos is, because that's how it's been described all along.

I think Uno was meant to be a more fun record though. Dos wasn't meant to be so fun, and that's why it may not sound like they're having as much fun all the time. Songs like Fuck Time and Stop When The Red Lights Flash are fun, and the band sounds like they're having a good time - I mean, Billie's laughing throughout Fuck Time. But a lot of the songs are dealing with heavy topics. It's fairly dark despite the fun, party veneer. So I think it wasn't supposed to sound as "fun" exactly.

This. I love you right now. Is that a little weird?

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just want to point out: Didn't Billie say he wrote Boulevard Of Broken Dreams in 5 minutes? That song seems pretty profound and personal - not phoned in.

Just because a song came out quickly doesn't mean it lacks passion or effort. On the contrary, I'd say that in many cases that's when the artist is more inspired and that's why the words come to them so fast. I wouldn't say that always happens, but it's certainly possible.

I don't think that time spent composing a song necessarily correlates with the song's quality or degree of profundity.

I definitely agree. Sometimes laboring over something for a long time can give results that are confused or muddled. I'm not saying this really happens (that I can see) with Green Day songs, but taking more time doesn't mean it is more inspired.

I wan't under the impression that people expected a "back to basics" album with Dos.... at least, they shouldn't have anticipated that. Uno was supposed to be a "back to basics" record more similar to their earlier stuff, but they always described Dos as being more experimental and garage-y and Foxboro-y. People should have have been expecting an album that sounds like what Dos is, because that's how it's been described all along.

The thing with changing your sound and doing a more experimental, different album is that it will always be polarizing. So given that Dos is so unlike Green Day's previous material (I don't find it that different, but some people do, I think), I expected that there would be a lot of division of opinions about it. (Even though it's hard for me to understand not loving it! :lol: I just love it so much - but that's the polarizing thing. I'm on the way positive end in this case.) It can be hard for people to accept change, and sometimes the change is for something we don't necessarily like. We all like Green Day's older stuff (or at least some/most of it), and now we have a new side of them to get used to. I hope everyone keeps an open mind. It might not be your thing, but then again it could grow on you. It's just another aspect of Green Day to (hopefully) embrace.

I'm so confused how people thought it wasn't going to sound the way it does. It sounds exactly like I was expecting it to (well, better, since my imagination and songwriting skills are not at the same level :lol: ). All I ever heard about it was that it was Garage-y, Foxboro-y, and experimental. And that exactly what I get out of it.

I think Uno was meant to be a more fun record though. Dos wasn't meant to be so fun, and that's why it may not sound like they're having as much fun all the time. Songs like Fuck Time and Stop When The Red Lights Flash are fun, and the band sounds like they're having a good time - I mean, Billie's laughing throughout Fuck Time. But a lot of the songs are dealing with heavy topics. It's fairly dark despite the fun, party veneer. So I think it wasn't supposed to sound as "fun" exactly.

I still think they sound like they're having fun, though, and that these songs were written and played in the same spirit as the Foxboro Hot Tubs - just let loose on your writing and on your instruments. Don't try to fit it into a mold.

Um...how else would you interpret it?

It is definitely hard not to think that way when you hear that lyric but like most of his lyrics it is not likely to be literal.

They haven't been planning a trilogy for awhile. The idea came up during 21st Century Breakdown of a "three part story"; that became the three "acts" of that album. This trilogy came from the idea that "hey, we're writing all this music and we like it, its fun and simple, so let's release it all, at least for the fans". To me it seems like these have been their most fan-driven albums and their most personally-driven albums. It's a shame that people on here aren't receiving them well because of expectations and an apparent love for introspection and the theatrical.

I know that's what they said but I'm saying I don't believe that. There is not enough good material in these first two records to even justify a single album. I think they knew this would be a sort of 'grand' experiment that they needed to give the impression they were still progressing somehow. However their back catalogue suggests that they knew the first two records weren't up to par so I'm creating a theory

Um...how else would you interpret it?

I feel like it's just about how she is all grown up now... Daddy's little girl is old enough to have her own problems and face them herself... (the bleeding might be referring to periods - having sex, but I don't see nothing that indicates Billie wanting to do anything to her :lol: )

I know that's what they said but I'm saying I don't believe that. There is not enough good material in these first two records to even justify a single album. I think they knew this would be a sort of 'grand' experiment that they needed to give the impression they were still progressing somehow. However their back catalogue suggests that they knew the first two records weren't up to par so I'm creating a theory

I strongly disagree. I find most of the material on the new albums to be strong. Just because you don't like it all, that doesn't mean that the band didn't feel strongly about all of the material.

I always took the lyrics in Drama Queen to refer to the guy who, after the situations he got himself into over the course of Uno and Dos, comes home and realizes that his daughter is now old enough to be 'one of those girls' who tempted him so the previous night.

But since I haven't heard any of the other songs on Tre, I could be completely wrong.

The line has been picked apart and analysed any which way you want but the fact remains that it is a horrible line, regardless of how you spin the meaning behind it. Should have been scribbled out the minute he took a second look at it.

I am enjoying reading why people are not enjoying the album. Although I am enjoying it overall I find myself agreeing with people's points. Like, it's impossible to deny that Stop When The Red Lights Flash sounds like it didn't require a great deal of effort.

I always took the lyrics in Drama Queen to refer to the guy who, after the situations he got himself into over the course of Uno and Dos, comes home and realizes that his daughter is now old enough to be 'one of those girls' who tempted him so the previous night.

But since I haven't heard any of the other songs on Tre, I could be completely wrong.

Oh, I like that!

The line has been picked apart and analysed any which way you want but the fact remains that it is a horrible line, regardless of how you spin the meaning behind it. Should have been scribbled out the minute he took a second look at it.

I disagree, I think it's a pretty powerful line, especially since it's already being debated over. So many different interpretations, I think the song needs that line.

I actually just love good albums. Uno delivered. Dos did not.

Ignoring lyrics, themes, undertones and all that stuff, sometimes loving/hating an album can just come down to gut feeling!

I feel like it's just about how she is all grown up now... Daddy's little girl is old enough to have her own problems and face them herself... (the bleeding might be referring to periods - having sex, but I don't see nothing that indicates Billie wanting to do anything to her :lol: )

Yes, that´s how I see it. The line "Daddy´s little bundle of joy out of the magazine" might imply a similar idea. Probably my mind is disturbed but sometimes it makes me think of an old man longing for a much too young girl. And on the other hand it´s the idea that a father recognizes that his innocent babygirl has grown up, and is a young, beautiful woman with sex appeal.

Somehow I like the ambiguity, it leaves you to your own thoughts and imagination.

That would be fine if the music quickly came out of nowhere, but we know that a lot of these songs, in one form or another, have existed since the long winded 21stCB tour and since well after. I don't see anything that would discredit the fact that the band developed songs at very different times from one another, and this is pretty evident in how different the albums sound. When an album is written at different times, it shows in the music, and Dos and Uno have proven this well.

I also don't see how this is them trying to appear "progressive," either. If they wanted to keep progressing, they would have just made another American Idiot or 21st Century Breakdown. The trilogy is them in a "reset mode", it's the closest we'll get to a self-titled, "self-defining" album. This is the segue into a new era of Green Day, they're done with everything they've already done; the know there is no going back, something that they have made pretty clear in interviews and such.

And "there is not enough good material for one album" is your opinion, just like all this has been mine. If you don't like the songs that's fine, but it doesn't mean that the songs aren't worthy of an album, that's for the band to judge.

Well i really liked Uno! and was just a bit disappointed with Dos!.

Great tracks in my opinion: Lazy Bones, Wild One, Makeout Party, Ashley, Amy, Wow! That's Loud, Stray Heart and Baby Eyes (this one i think should be longer)

Nightlife: I'm sorry but that's just not Green Day so I'm not even gonna comment.

Fuck Time: Had my expectations on that one, and i don't know just didn't meet my expectations.

See You Tonight: Intro track which i think is totally unnecessary.

Stop When the Red Lights Flash: This one i think should work well live, I just don't like the album version.

Lady Cobra: Kinda forgettable to me.

In my opinion speaking from the marketing point of view the trilogy thing was a mistake, i think it should be a double disc album with like 12 or 13 songs on each one, and this is the main reason why Dos! is going to flop on sales.

I know great part of the fans (and I include myself) don't care about sales and their recognition, but that's really mportant for the band, and i think that this material would get multiple awards with the right strategy.

So with all that said my expectations for Tre! are very high, cause after listening to the two albums and reading some interviews i think that the only reason they chose to go with the trilogy idea is because Tre! is too epic.

That's a twisted interpretation :lol:

yes i know my mind can be in the gutter sometimes that's why i like green day so much :happy: .

but it also doesn't help that billie keeps referring himself like a dirty old man on dos lol

That would be fine if the music quickly came out of nowhere, but we know that a lot of these songs, in one form or another, have existed since the long winded 21stCB tour and since well after. I don't see anything that would discredit the fact that the band developed songs at very different times from one another, and this is pretty evident in how different the albums sound. When an album is written at different times, it shows in the music, and Dos and Uno have proven this well.

I also don't see how this is them trying to appear "progressive," either. If they wanted to keep progressing, they would have just made another American Idiot or 21st Century Breakdown. The trilogy is them in a "reset mode", it's the closest we'll get to a self-titled, "self-defining" album. This is the segue into a new era of Green Day, they're done with everything they've already done; the know there is no going back, something that they have made pretty clear in interviews and such.

And "there is not enough good material for one album" is your opinion, just like all this has been mine. If you don't like the songs that's fine, but it doesn't mean that the songs aren't worthy of an album, that's for the band to judge.

QFT. Bolded lines especially.

With this trilogy Green Day does what they do best: divide the hell out of the fans. They do it with every single release and I think it's hilarious. To me it just shows that they still know how to make music that gets people talking, whether they think it's good or bad.

You hit the nail on the head my friend. Those clever devils.

Great tracks in my opinion: Lazy Bones, Wild One, Makeout Party, Ashley, Amy, Wow! That's Loud, Stray Heart and Baby Eyes (this one i think should be longer)

Nightlife: I'm sorry but that's just not Green Day so I'm not even gonna comment.

Fuck Time: Had my expectations on that one, and i don't know just didn't meet my expectations.

Stop When the Red Lights Flash: This one i think should work well live, I just don't like the album version.

In my opinion speaking from the marketing point of view the trilogy thing was a mistake, i think it should be a double disc album with like 12 or 13 songs on each one, and this is the main reason why Dos! is going to flop on sales.

I know great part of the fans (and I include myself) don't care about sales and their recognition, but that's really mportant for the band, and i think that this material would get multiple awards with the right strategy.

So with all that said my expectations for Tre! are very high, cause after listening to the two albums and reading some interviews i think that the only reason they chose to go with the trilogy idea is because Tre! is too epic.

You're saying that you think a double album would have sold more!? This is something i have a very, very hard time buying.

I disagree, I think it's a pretty powerful line, especially since it's already being debated over. So many different interpretations, I think the song needs that line.

Totally agree =D

There are WAY more factors that contribute to an album's sales than just the number of songs on the album. If the record company thought that a double album would have been more profitable, then believe me, they would have gone with a double album.

With this trilogy Green Day does what they do best: divide the hell out of the fans. They do it with every single release and I think it's hilarious. To me it just shows that they still know how to make music that gets people talking, whether they think it's good or bad.

NOT ME!! I will love them forever even though i dont like insomniac, 21cb and dos all too much they will always remain in my heart.

no offense but if anyone truly believes billie is being creepy or meant to be dirty with that line in drama queen you should grow the fuck up

There are WAY more factors that contribute to an album's sales than just the number of songs on the album. If the record company thought that a double album would have been more profitable, then believe me, they would have gone with a double album.

Well maybe the company has the final say on the matter but i think Green Day has earned the right to do things as they think it's right.

Well maybe the company has the final say on the matter but i think Green Day has earned the right to do things as they think it's right.

Who said that Green Day thought it would be a better idea to do a double album?

Well maybe the company has the final say on the matter but i think Green Day has earned the right to do things as they think it's right before Warner

I agree with you 100%, Warner has always shown great confidence in how Green Day and Reprise handle their music. But in today's music market and awful climate, profits are maximized as much as possible, hence the ties to Twilight, the promotion on big, non-rock festivals (iHeartRadio), and them allowing Green Day to release three albums (it is cheaper to release three, "separate", $10 dollar albums than one, $25 double album).

Archived