Last Night On Earth

pasalaska

Song of the Week for this week is the “unapologetic love song” Last Night On Earth, track 7 from Green Day’s 8th studio album, 2009’s 21st Century Breakdown. The song is also featured in the American Idiot musical, fitting into the storyline between She’s a Rebel and Too Much Too Soon.

Last Night on Earth follows straight through without a pause from the album’s previous track Christian’s Inferno, suggesting that this song is the calm withdrawal after the explosive rage the character of Christian has just experienced. The line “if I lose everything in the fire” could directly relate back to the fire of Christian’s Inferno; he’s still completely and utterly in love with Gloria despite his current emotional turmoil, she’s the one thing that survives his emotional purge. He is, however, doubtful that she truly gets the message, saying she might “dare to second guess” and asking at the end of the song if his love ever made it through to her. Billie Joe has stated that this song originally was put on the album to level out some of the anger, and was not written specifically for the story line, instead he wrote it to his wife, Adrienne.

Musically, Last Night On Earth is one of the softest, slowest songs on 21CB, and a very stark contrast to its adjoining Christian’s Inferno. The slow, airy guitar that weaves in with Billie’s soft vocals and slow, tentative beat gives the song a sort of hazy, dream-like quality, as if Christian is in some sort of emotionally-drained stupor when he says all this to Gloria.

It’s this dream-like sound that is also played upon in the song’s use in American Idiot: The Musical, where the lead characters of Johnny and Whatsername dance in a drug-induced high while Johnny’s alter-ego Saint Jimmy watches on and sings along adoringly.

This is the official video that greenday.com released for a live version Last Night On Earth in December of 2010, using footage from Green Day’s concerts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKr3Ov5szbU

This, however will remain the best version of the song EVER:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxfTu10fMYc

Lyrics:

I text a postcard, sent to you

Did it go through?

Sending all my love to you.

You are the moonlight of my life every night

Giving all my love to you

My beating heart belongs to you

I walked for miles til I found you

I'm here to honour you

If I lose everything in the fire

I'm sending all my love to you.

With every breath that I am worth

Here on earth

So if you dare to second guess

You can rest assured

That all my love's for you

I'm here to honour you

I'm here to honour you

Did I ever make it through?

*********************************************************************************************************

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the SotW Nominations and Archive thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week in its first post.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do really like this song, the descension on "if i lose everything in the fire" is the best part.

I did a trapeze act to this once because i had to do a valentine's day show (and normal love songs suck. Green Day makes them okay.)

I have a video of it but it was mediocre. I could have done better. if you guys want the youtube link to it it's okay, but i feel like GD deserves better :).

I really irrationally disliked this song when 21CB came out, but then one day I sat down and really listened to it and I realized how beautiful it is. And I think the musical made it even more beautiful.

This was the second song from 21CB I listened to and I loved it.

This is such a beautiful song. It's so sweet even if it is just a straight up love song.

I like the song, but it gets old really quickly for me. Dunno why, but I only listen to it every now and then.

The most quintessential love song ever.

one of the sweetest songs and a bit tied with don't leave me from 1039 smooth if you ask me

The first concert I saw on the 21st Century Breakdown tour was in my home city of Perth, Australia. Billie came out and sang this, and made the night when he did this:

(video should start at 1:35)

It absolutely just completed the night for all of us there, and I will forever hold a soft spot for this song thanks to Billie singing that line and then doing that ridiculous goofy grin after "I just made that up". Now every time I hear the song I sing it in my head as 'here in Peeeerrrth'.

This song is really beautiful. One of the first I tried learning on the piano. But we mustn't forget Rocky's version. So lovely

This song ist so beautiful :wub:

When I heard it the first time it was just like: oh no another shitty love song .But when i read the lyrics it was much more than just a shitty love song :D i really love it

I love this, I love how Green Day's love songs have true meanings, their not all like "love girl girl love baby lalalalalalaaaaaa!!!!!!!"

Didn't think much of this song at first then i started reading into the lyrics and started liking it more

No matter what anyone says about it being overproduced, this song will forever remain one of the most beautiful love songs ever for me. The first time I saw Green Day live, when the whole band came back for the second half of the song it was such a special moment. I know they do that every night but I had no idea what to expect at the time and it was just... I don't know. Really beautiful.

I doubt anyone cares, but it has such a special meaning for me personally too... it so personifies 'true love' and how you walk for miles in life before finding the one.

I also feel like it describes our long distance relationship and all the turmoil around it, all the shit we go through all the time, yet we still love each other no matter what happens... forgetting all the worries and insecurities too. You have each other, nothing else matters.

It's our one year anniversary today... so this is like, perfect. :shy:

This is what I wrote for this song in my old 21CB analysis. Totally personal, doesn't reflect anything Billie-related, but thought I'd share it because the rest of my post wasn't that great... and I really want to say something worthwhile about this song.

Gloria has finally realised how much she loves Christian. She wants him to know how she'll always feel this way even if he is a bit fucked up, he should never 'dare to second guess' because '[he] can rest assured that all my love's for you'.

Despite his frustration and anger at everything, Christian still adores Gloria too. Nothing means he loves her any less and his most important duty is to honour her. He never meant to hurt her and even if he loses everything, he's still sending her all his love.

Their feelings are mutual now. This shows the beautiful side of their relationship, how they 'walked for miles' in life till they found each other.

/cheesy rambling post

the musical version is better in my opinion. but the album version is beautiful too.

This is definitely one of the most gorgeous songs ever. I especially love this part: "My beating heart belongs to you. I walked for miles til I found you." Last Night On Earth is a great song and I really enjoyed the live versions during the 21stCB tour.

This song made me cry like a baby when I first heard it!

I love this song. Definitely the best love song ever,in my opinion :D

One of the worst songs they've ever written. The acoustic version live is even worse than the studio version :(

Not my favorite but good. The cast of American Idiot version with Billie is better.

I really like this song, it's got fantastic lyrics and a heap of emotion

just goes to further prove the diversity of songs that Green Day can produce

Possibly my least favourite GD song. =/

Exactly. To be honest, I don't like this type of song, it's too slow and sentimental to me.

Such a beautiful and emotional love song! :wub:

Archived