pasalaska

This week’s Song of the Week is J.A.R, originally released in 1995 on the soundtrack for the movie ‘Angus’, and more commonly known as track number 8 off Green Day’s greatest hits compilation album, International Superhits! (2001). A live version of the song, recorded in Detroit, Michigan, was also released earlier this year on the live album, Awesome As Fuck.

J.A.R was written by Mike Dirnt in memory Jason Andrew Relva, a close friend of Green Day’s (he’s thanked in the liner notes on Green Day’s first two albums) , who died after a car crash in 1992, aged 19. Lyrically, it’s probably one of the saddest songs in Green Day’s catalogue – it’s deeply poignant; all about realising that life’s short (“now I see I’m mortal too”), and the importance of living for the moment (“and I think it's alright, that I do what I like, cause that's the way I wanna live, it’s how I give, and I’m still giving”).

I could honestly analyse and go on about each line in this song, because it’s one of the most emotive songs I know - each line is like a kick in the emotional goolies – but I’d really like to drum up some good discussion, so I’ll keep this short(ish) and let you lot do a lot of the analytical prodding and poking. I will, however, talk about the closing, spoken part of the song, because that’s the deepest and darkest part of the song, and it’s also some of my favourite Green Day song writing.

The final, spoken verse is obviously the two conflicting views on life that is part of the theme of the whole song; the ‘responsible’ view of setting yourself up, getting an education and following a straight and narrow path towards the big ideal of a well-paying career, marriage, the family home and kids (“can't run around in circles if you wanna build a life”). In opposition to that is the view that Jason Relva obviously lived by – seizing the moment and making the most of his youth “while [he’s] young and while [he’s] able”, not bothered with making a “plan for a day far away”. Obviously though (and this is the part of the song that makes me go D’: ), Relva’s life was cut short before his time, and despite him living life for the moment, he never got to do what he wanted; the song cuts short with a simple chime of a cymbal before the last line can be finished, just like Relva’s life ended before he could achieve what he wanted to do.

I also have to mention the amazing bass line in J.A.R, it’s so punchy and vibrant and it just gives the song such power. Musically, for me, this is one of Green Day’s best songs ever written, the whole song just seems so perfectly put together, and there’s not another Green Day song that sounds like it. And it's amazing live. I almost joy-vomited the first time I saw it, no joke.

This week’s video is from the 21st Century Breakdown Tour, August 12th, 2009 in Kansas City, Missouri, taken by GDCer Katie (Rebel07), or Rebel070 on YouTube.

Lyrics:

My friend drove off the other day,

And now he's gone and all they say,

Is you gotta live cause life goes on

But now I see I'm mortal too

I can't live my life like you

Gotta live it up while life goes on

And I think it's alright

That I do what I like cause that's the way I wanna live

And so I give

And I'm still giving

And now I wonder about my friend

If he gave all he could give

Cause he lived his life like I live mine

If you could see inside my head

Then you'd start to understand

The things I value in my heart

You know that,

I know that,

You're watching me.

Gotta make a plan

Gotta do whats right

Can't run around in circles if you wanna build a life

And I don't wanna make a plan for a day far away

While I'm young and while I'm able all I wanna do is...

*********************************************************************************************************

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the SotW Nominations and Archives Thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week in its first post.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my second favorite GD song. I fucking love it. Mike's songs are so good! I was ecstatic when they played this at the concert I went too!

Although it's not my favorite song off of International Superhits, I do like it a lot. It's a very emotional song, and you can tell it came right from Mike's heart.

The lyrics:

"If you could see inside my head, then you'd start to understand the things I value in my heart."

Are my favorite because they are so sincere. You know that Mike didn't forge his feelings in writing it.

J.A.R. is also very relatable. Everyone has someone that they lost, whether it was a friend, or a family member. This song states that you can't just stay still and not live your life. You don't want to regret and wonder "If you gave it all you can give". J.A.R. also tells you there is a certain responsibility that you need to take on. You can't just "Run around in circles", you need to plan, whether you want to or not.

This song is definitely unique because Mike wrote it, and well, anything Mike writes should be treasured :) Great choice for song of the week! :lol:

i love this song! the songs mike writes are always good. but what i like is that it's about something kind of sad but they make it sound great and almost happy, so it's not so depressing.

This song is amazing! Definitely one of my favorites. It always makes me think about what things are really important in life. Great choice!

The lyrics:

"If you could see inside my head, then you'd start to understand the things I value in my heart."

Are my favorite because they are so sincere. You know that Mike didn't forge his feelings in writing it.

You just read my mind! :lol:

I love this song so much. The lyrics are genious. Mike is an amazing song writer. Aska wrote an awesome summary-type thing, too. When I first met my step-mom, we were trying to find something we both had in common, and I asked her what her favorite song is and she automatically said "J.A.R by Green Day." I'll never forget that one.

They actually played this at the concet I went to last year, it's amazing live.

I love this song. :wub:

Its my third favourite Green Day song. The lyrics in this song are just amazing.

I also like the live version where Tré says suck big titties at the end.... :ninja:

This is defiantly one of my favourite Green Day songs. But I've never actually payed much attention to the lyrics, I just liked it for the bass line :mellow:

This whole song was pretty much quoted at one point or another by me on facebook. I live my life by this song

This whole song was pretty much quoted at one point or another by me on facebook. I live my life by this song

I know what you mean. My whole 2010 GD touring thing was partially inspired by the lines 'don't wanna make a plan for a day far away, while I'm young and while I'm able all I wanna do is...' - I just wanted to live for the now and seize the moment, and I knew that I may not get a chance to follow GD again in the future. I didn't want the opportunity to pass me by. I couldn't not fulfil that dream.

This is the first time I've heard this song. Amazing! The first script I wrote, the one that inspired me to give everything to writing, to sacrifice and go at it full out, was me finally fulfilling a promise to a friend who died of cancer. It was essentially her story and the message she left with me. We were only 17 when she died, but the legacy she left that life was short and you have to seize the day stayed with me my whole life. The script became about Mardi Gras and the theme of laissez le bon temps rouler (let the good times roll), and even though she dies in the end, the real message is a celebration of life, so when death comes it isn't sad. I know it sounds warped and twisted, but Mardi Gras sort of does that to a person :D. Parties at graveyards and dancing on graves is a cherished tradition in my hometown, and she inspired us to take it to heart. This song to me says exactly the same thing.

My favorite account of her is one day at the beach, a few weeks before she died, she and two of my friends were hanging out and she asked my friend for a cigarette. The other friend asked her if it was a good idea for her to be smoking considering her condition, and she (I'm told because I wasn't there) looked at my friend and said, "What's it gonna do, kill me? It'll just have to get in line." And then she smoked the cigarette. This song pretty much sums up that attitude. I absolutely love it.

This is the first time I've heard this song. Amazing! The first script I wrote, the one that inspired me to give everything to writing, to sacrifice and go at it full out, was me finally fulfilling a promise to a friend who died of cancer. It was essentially her story and the message she left with me. We were only 17 when she died, but the legacy she left that life was short and you have to seize the day stayed with me my whole life. The script became about Mardi Gras and the theme of laissez le bon temps rouler (let the good times roll), and even though she dies in the end, the real message is a celebration of life, so when death comes it isn't sad. I know it sounds warped and twisted, but Mardi Gras sort of does that to a person :D. Parties at graveyards and dancing on graves is a cherished tradition in my hometown, and she inspired us to take it to heart. This song to me says exactly the same thing.

My favorite account of her is one day at the beach, a few weeks before she died, she and two of my friends were hanging out and she asked my friend for a cigarette. The other friend asked her if it was a good idea for her to be smoking considering her condition, and she (I'm told because I wasn't there) looked at my friend and said, "What's it gonna do, kill me? It'll just have to get in line." And then she smoked the cigarette. This song pretty much sums up that attitude. I absolutely love it.

It's replies like this that make me love doing Song of the Week.

Thank you for sharing that, it's stories like that that these SotW threads are made for.

There's too much to say about this song that I can't put it to words. I'll just say that I fucking love the AAF version. It's amazing.

Lyrically this is one of my all time favorite Green Day songs. It's just touching and I don't know what to say else.. Amazing song and amazing introduction!

I've always loved hearing this number live because I feel like it fits perfectly with Green Day's concert. So many memories are attatched to this song with some of my dearest friends.

I just always loved the callback to Emenius Sleepus (I saw my friend the other day/My friend drove off the other day). So sly and sad at the same time.

That song is soooo awesome, but sad at the same time

the lyrics are awesome and the melody totally fits !! it's just a perfect song

...but the reason why it's written is sad...

I love this song, but I've only gotten into it recently. The first time I heard it, on International Superhits, I'll admit I usually skipped over it with a 'meh' kind of attitude because I didn't really understand it. I really started to love it when I heard it on AAF, it just sounds so incredible live and everytime I reach the end I have to stop myself from saying the word "play" and it constantly reminds me how life can be cut short at any moment, you simply don't know, so you have to make the most of it.

Easily one of Green Day's best songs. So well written, amazing bass line.

I was so happy when they played it live both times I saw them last tour.

I think J.A.R. it's the best song Mike ever wrote. It's an honest, beautiful song dedicated to his friend who passed away. The line I like the most is "My friend drove off the other day, now he's gone and all they say, is you gotta live 'cause life goes on". Things like death makes you appreciate life even more than before, and in this song he express that and the fact that he will do what he likes -play music- forever. ♥

I remember when they played here :happy: Billie said "this song was written by Mike Dirnt" :') I was so happy

Possibly one of their greatest songs of all time on so many levels. Jason Andrew Relva must be very proud of his song! 'If you could see in side my head, then you'd start to understand, the things I value in my heart' is just perfect.

This song is in my top five favorite Green Day songs. This song means a lot to me because around the first time I heard it, one of my friends died in a car accident. She was only thirteen. I realized that life really is short and not to take people and time for granted. I can definitely relate to this song.

This is one of my favourits, it's a beautiful lyrics and Mike is a great writer.

Gotta make a plan

Gotta do whats right

Can't run around in circles if you wanna build a life

And I don't wanna make a plan for a day far away

While I'm young and while I'm able all I wanna do is...

I love this part!

Archived