The Top Five Green Day Songs that Had an Impact on My Life

Boston

Bit late to the party, but felt inspired to write some words on my 'pretty solid but not necessarily in this order' top 5 GD songs:

1. Jackass - "Everybody loves a joke, but no-one likes a fool" - this line resonated with me in a big way. I like to make people laugh but sometimes you have to know where to draw the line, and I've been a 'fool' sometimes! Also, now I'm older, I see others still spouting the same old shit and it's frustrating/sad.

2. Scattered - Great lyrics that sum up that point in a relationship where you may have let the other person go, but you then suddenly decide to get back in touch with them to, against all your better judgement, try to get back together/sleep together/hang out together (delete as appropriate lol). Been there a few times! Plus the song rocks, love the tune.

3. Christie Road - I love the lines: "See the hills from afar, standing on my beat up car, the sun went down and the night fills the sky". Can imagine Billie Joe in that situation and mentally writing the lyrics. Love it when it breaks down into the second half of the song too, so good. Also reminds me of pastimes - meeting same good friends, in a particular place, and being content ("Now I feel like me once again").

4. Burnout - 'Dookie' was the album that got me into GD and it didn't leave my walkman for the last 6 months of (I think) 1996. But the reason I pick Burnout is because of Tre's drumming fills. His playing on the album overall, but especially that track with those solo fills, really resonated and ended with me (with no prior inclination at all) wanting to learn how to play. Since then I've been in several bands, played gigs, written songs and generally enjoy appreciating good drumming skills. Thank you Tre - I salute you and would love to shake your hand one day.

5. American Idiot - To be honest, I struggled to think of a genuine fifth song which really impacted my life (AI wouldn't be in my top 10 songs for example), but it proved to us all that GD was alive and kicking, still capable and not splitting up after the indecisiveness of four years in the wilderness - good enough for me!

Honourable mentions: Basketcase (basically the most perfect, sonically, three minute pop-punk-rock song ever written IMO), Boulevard of Broken Dreams and Dry Ice. Also both Desensitised and J.A.R. make me want me to be cruising at 100mph down an open road (plus the latter is a great tribute to their friend).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived