Login to Account Create an Account
Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:49 AM
it's hard to pick a fav song
Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:56 AM
Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:59 AM
Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:38 AM
Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:39 AM
Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:55 AM
I dont expect everyone to like every single song they make.. i know i dont.. But i think Extraordinary girl is a beautiful song..
"Somedays he feels like dying,
She gets so sick of crying "
Describes how i feel a lot... its just beauiful.. The only annoying thing about the song is the begining.. i know its supposed to be a build up to the song but i just find it a bit irratating..
THAT'S my favorite part of the song
Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:29 AM
Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:41 AM
That album changed me, and without it, I wouldn't have discovered my biggest passion.
Its Green Day's opus, and always will be.
Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:14 PM
Holiday was the first green day song I heard
i can't really pinpoint the very first green day song i ever heard...but holiday was the first video. and i was fucking hooked. i remember getting up at like 5:30 in the morning to watch music videos on tv and just about shitting my pants when holiday came on.
i think AI is my favorite album. i can't say for sure...but i think it is. i feel bad for those green day fans who don't listen to it because they think gd "sold out" or w/e....i really don't care if they did, because AI is fucking genius.
i can't even explain why i love this album so much....
edit: but i fucking HATE extraordinary girl...i deleted it off my ipod and the album still sounds perfectly fine without it http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p...
and how can you hate extraordinary girl? D: i mean... Those lyrics are so powerful... "Somedays he feels like dying, somedays is not worth trying, now that they both are finding, she gets so sick of crying"
My mom loves gypsy music... And I love those weird drums They make me wanna jump and all, don't know why
this. it's like: "aaarrgh! start already" http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p...
although... IS IT NORMAL TO ALWAYS FORGET ABOUT WMUWSE?! When I'm playing the whole album in guitar, with the record in the background, I inmediatly start playing homecoming after letterbomb, and, suddenly, I heard the tun tun tuun, tun tun tuuun of the accoustic gutar and it's like "SHIIT!" xD
Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:18 PM
although... IS IT NORMAL TO ALWAYS FORGET ABOUT WMUWSE?! http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p... When I'm playing the whole album in guitar, with the record in the background, I inmediatly start playing homecoming after letterbomb, and, suddenly, I heard the tun tun tuun, tun tun tuuun of the accoustic gutar and it's like "SHIIT!" xD
that's because you dont like WMUWSE (and i dont know why )
but now, when i hear WMUWSE i always think "oh When it's time" and then Billie starts to sings and it's like "FAIL!"
Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:21 PM
I actually do like it now! What I like less is Blvd. of Broken Dreams (but that's because I CAN'T play it) and 21 guns (Because I fall asleep)
that's because you dont like WMUWSE (and i dont know why http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p...)
but now, when i hear WMUWSE i always think "oh When it's time" and then Billie starts to sings and it's like "FAIL!" http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p...
Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:24 PM
BLVD of Broken Dreams ........... 21 GUNS
I actually do like it now! What I like less is Blvd. of Broken Dreams (but that's because I CAN'T play it) and 21 guns (Because I fall asleep)
well, blvd was the first song of AI i learned in the guitar so
Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:37 PM
I'm so glad other people like Homecoming http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p... My favorite part is in the beginning when he says "What the hell's your name? What's your pleasure? What is your pain?" <33333
Yeah, Homecoming is one of my favorite songs on the album too.
It has got some really brilliant lyrics, and some kicks ass guitar riffs. I absolutely love the one after 'Rock&Roll Girlfriend' (with the 'hey' in the middle, if you what I'm talking about), that's just insanely good
Posted 01 May 2010 - 03:18 PM
Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:40 PM
Posted 01 May 2010 - 05:17 PM
Posted 01 May 2010 - 05:40 PM
i spent months loving that song, and catching parts of BOBD on the radio.
didnt know just about any songs, but i knew almost every fact of GDA regardless.
anyway, there was a point where, up until a few months ago, i couldnt fall asleep unless it was to this record.
sometimes i feel that i have an emotional attachment to this album because of its storyline, more than the songs themselves
but little gems such as Letterbomb and Extraordinary Girl have always been my favorites.
hah, i actually hate admitting this, but i was such a stupid kid.
when i got the album, i didnt like listening to Whatshername & Extraordinary Girl because they werent like Holiday
now almost 5 years later, i thank god they arent. i was just a dumb kid, i warmed up to them quickly enough though.
ALSO i just have to say, She's A Rebel is, although repedative if you listen to it too much, a very catchy song <3
(and the first song i learned on bass....or was that st.jimmy?...)
Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:45 PM
But now days it's hard for me to listen to it because it brings back so many older memories and I get all nostalgic. Which isn't always a bad thing, There's just no other record that I have an emotional attachment to like American Idiot. It's really interesting because I think this was the first album that really spoke to me and introduced me to a whole other world of music when I was 14 and clueless. It was a turning point in my life as cliche as that sounds, it's true.
Listening to this album is an emotional experience for me every time. Whatsername, Letterbomb and JOS get to me in particular.
Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:21 PM
I remember I used to play it over and over again when I went for long car rides. American Idiot definitely has a huge chunk of my heart.
Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:35 PM
Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:06 PM
"well there is nothing wrong with me, this is how I'm supposed to be, In a land of make believe that don't believe in me"
"To live and not to breath is to die In tragedy."
"I don't feel any shame I won't apologize, for there ain't no where you can go. Running away from pain when you've been victimized, tales from
another broken home."
"the rage and love the story of my life."
"a teenage assasin executing some fun..."
"what's in love is now in debt on your birth certificate so strike the fucking match to light this fuse."
"it's not over til your underground, it's not over before it's too late.
"This city's burnin, it's not my burden."
" and in the darkest night, if my memory serves I'll never turn back time, forgetting
you but not the time.
American idiot: the album that saved my pathetic life and made it into something.
Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:12 PM
Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:25 PM
As much as everyone tries, there are no words that can describe the impact that song has done to so many fucking kids. I get teary eyed EVERY TIME I listen to that song whether it'd be live or just in my car because it represents and stands for what I once stood for and still stand for. The connection I have with this song can never be measured and no matter how hard I try not to, will always move me to tears. The countless of people who I have met who have immortalized the concepts from that single song, from fucking RAGE and LOVEwith tattoos (including myself). This song will always hold true in my heart and I fucking love knowing that I am not the only on who feels that way<3 it is a masterpiece to say the least.
Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:20 AM
Holiday was the first green day song I heard http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p...
and how can you hate extraordinary girl? D: i mean... Those lyrics are so powerful... "Somedays he feels like dying, somedays is not worth trying, now that they both are finding, she gets so sick of crying" http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p...
i find it whiny. i never liked the beginning and that just spilled over in the song for me. i just kinda want them both to shut up and stop crying...but idk...cause the other songs on AI when they aren't exactly all pixie dust and rainbows are amazing to me...
i think the song just rubs me the wrong way
Posted 02 May 2010 - 02:33 AM
Posted 02 May 2010 - 02:49 AM
American Idiot, by far my favourite album of all-time, by ANY artist, and in my opinion the best album recorded in the last 20 years...
Every song is so powerful, so freaking amazing, and every time I try to say "this is my favourite song", I always think of another song that I "like more than that one", and then I think of another song that I "like more than that other one", and it keeps going and going in this circle until I'm back where I started... The whole album just means so much to me, I listen to it every day, no matter what, without fail.
This is gonna be a little long... XD
1. American Idiot, along with all of the other singles from the album, is really under-appreciated by a lot of hardcore Green Day fans, and it makes me so sad... You can be American, Canadian, English, German, whatever, you'll always be able to connect with the anger and rage towards the political movement of the mid-2000s in the United States.
"Welcome to a new kind of tension, all across the alien nation" (said 'alienation') is simply genius. One of the greatest plays on words I've ever heard, and it's totally unpredictable.
2. Jesus of Suburbia... Jesus of Suburbia. Do you need to say ANYTHING else about the song? This song IS being a teenager. It doesn't describe our deepest and most intense feelings, is IS every unstable emotion we've ever experienced. It moves me in such a way only other Green Day fans can understand. When someone asks me, 'what's so special about Jesus of Suburbia?" all I can do is smile... It's impossible to describe. If you can't experience the song like we can, you'll never understand it.
My favourite line from JoS? Everything. Every word, every syllable, every letter is absolutely perfect.
3. Holiday, to me, is like an extension of the message we get from American Idiot, but instead of simply stating the problem, we're finally starting to do something about it. Holiday is where the revolution of American Idiot really begins.
The chorus is absolutely beautiful, one of the best on the album... "I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies. This is the dawning of the rest of our lives, on holiday"
4. Boulevard of Broken Dreams. It's when I doubt myself. When there is no crutch for this 'dear thing', I turn to Billie, Tre, Mike and BoBD. The guitar solo is just so inspirational, and it sends chills down my spine every time I hear it. My heart breaks a little every time I hear the song on the radio though. Cut to pieces and censored almost beyond recognition, BoBD's beauty deserves so much better. It holds such a wonderful place in my heart...
"Where the city sleeps and I'm the only one and I walk alone." The city sleeps in the suburbs, and you're there. Awake, wondering what the hell you're going to do with your life.
5. Are We the Waiting feels like such an anthem. Green Day's fans sing the song, it's truly wonderful.
I want to scream back at Billie Joe every time I hear "and screaming" blasting through my headphones, it's such an empowering moment.
6. St. Jimmy is that rebellious-punk-motherfucker in all of us. We don't give a shit about what you think is right or wrong, weird or normal, fair or unfair... Everything that is deemed 'politically correct' means dick all when you listen to this song.
"It's St. Jimmy, and that's my name. And don't wear it out!"
7. Give Me Novocaine is that little break we all need. In no way is it a winding down of the emotions, but it's a softer way of delivering it after we all lose our voices screaming the first six songs off the album. My baby brother has been singing this song since he was three years old, and it always reminds me of him It's one of the first times in the album that I start smiling, even if it isn't the happiest of songs, I attribute happy thoughts to it.
Even though the line "give me a long kiss goodnight and everything will be alright" gets me a little down from losing someone really important to me, it'll always remind me of em, and make me smile in a second when I think back about all the great times we had.
8. She's a Rebel makes me think of that same person. My own Whatsername. That mysterious, amazing girl who was just fresh, so new. The song is part of the small handful of songs that I didn't really appreciate when I first got my hands on the album, but the more I hear it the more I love it.
"She brings this liberation that I just can't define". Exactly how I felt way back when.
9. Extraordinary Girl... I can understand why they threw it together with She's a Rebel on the special editions of the CD. It's continuing the same story from the last song, but it's showing the beginning of that unraveling that so many of us have gone through. You're still loving what you have, but you know the end is getting near. Songs 7 through 9 all seem to get knocked on a bit more than others by non-fans, and I can't for the life of me figure out why.
"Some days he feels like dying, she gets so sick of crying" sums it up perfectly.
10. Letterbomb is a song that almost everyone ignored in 2004. It keeps getting better with time though, doesn't it? The lyrics are just so powerful and amazing.
I can never get over the verse "You're not the Jesus of Suburbia. The St. Jimmy is a figment of your father's rage and your mother's love. Made me the idiot America" It ties the entire album together. Absolutely magnificently written, there are very few song lyrics that are nearly as poetic as these...
11. Wake Me Up When September Ends is yet another of those singles that people seem to throw aside because of its mainstream popularity. The music video for this song (and every other video from this album) is just so beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time. If they decided to make the intro last 8 minutes I'd never have a problem with it, it's one of the prettiest songs I've ever heard, start to finish, and I'm not ashamed to say it makes my eyes water from time to time.
"As my memory rests but never forgets what I lost, wake me up when September ends." Billie's writing it to his dad, and I can understand his feelings so well that it hurts me every time I hear it. But it's another one of those songs that I attribute to fond memories, even if the loss in itself is sad...
12. Homecoming is such an epic track. Just like JoS, it has so many transitions, so many different feelings, it's that last few inversions of the roller coaster ride that is American Idiot. It's 9 minutes and 18 seconds that feel like 30 seconds...
I absolutely love the verse that goes "somebody get me out of here. Anybody get me out of here. Somebody get me out of here. Get me the fuck right out of here!"
13. Whatsername is such a fantastic ending. Another one of those songs that I didn't appreciate enough at first, but I just fall more and more in love with it every day. Of course, it helps that it's my boss' favourite song and I hear it in the office at least once a day
"I made a point to burn all of the photographs." I'm sure we've all had times where we felt like doing this. It just culminates the fantastic experience that is American Idiot.
This album means so damn much to me, ahaha, I don't understand how I ever could have listened to music before hearing this album. It's by far my favourite album, by any band, and always will be. Wow, that was a LONG post... If you managed to survive through it all, props
To sum it up... American Idiot = <3
Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:30 PM
Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:44 PM
In AI there's also one ov my fav songs ever ''give me novacaine''...it's a really masterpiece...it's so deep...painful...it hurts and makes me cry so often...when I heard it live I lost all my voice singing it...my soul trembles whan I listen to this song...
Posted 02 May 2010 - 04:35 PM
How could you ? i love that song !
I really couldn't stand Give Me Novacaine
i also do love BOBD, American Idiot and definitely Holiday i'm feeling so good listening that song
Posted 02 May 2010 - 04:46 PM
Ah agreed, GMN is amazing.
How could you ? http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p... http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p... i love that song !
i also do love BOBD, American Idiot and definitely Holiday http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p... i'm feeling so good listening that song http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p...
The whole album has me at a loss for words. It proves that a band actually CAN make it huge more than once in its career if it really really works. Got me into Green Day and changed my life
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users