Green Day East Bay Reference Locations Tour

-Nemesis-

1 minute ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Love the pictures @Montclare 

I'm blanking on the Berkeley Marina reference. What's the song?

Thanks!  The Ballad of Wilhelm Fink from Short Music for Short People.

Oh, and one other note- I was carless, so I couldn't get to the sites up north.  One day I'll get to Christie Road.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Montclare said:

Thanks!  The Ballad of Wilhelm Fink from Short Music for Short People.

Oh that explains it, I've only heard that a few times, the words haven't stuck in my brain like every other damn GD song. 🙂 Thanks.

• 11 months later...

So me and @basketcase4933 did our proper Green Day sights tour this month. It was one of my favourite Green Day experiences. I feel like I have a whole new understanding of this music I've loved since I was 12 years old. We're still missing a few crucial places, like Christie Road and Stuart & the Ave., but I'm hoping to go back later this year (or drop my suitcase in my partner's apartment and never leave) for those.

I've bundled it up into these images for easy viewing, but if you're interested in reading the full story, you can read my full blog post. I've tried to include info and quotes with everything where I could.

tumblr_pcndsbLbgg1wnd24ho1_1280.jpg

tumblr_pcndsbLbgg1wnd24ho3_1280.jpg

tumblr_pcndsbLbgg1wnd24ho2_1280.jpg

tumblr_pcndsbLbgg1wnd24ho4_1280.jpg

You can also read it on Wordpress if you prefer.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/30/2018 at 2:08 AM, Biddymc said:

This is so cool @solongfromthestars.  My son and I were thinking of making this trip next March.

You should! I'd definitely recommend it to anyone interested in Green Day's history. March is an OK time to visit too - the weather shouldn't be too bad. 

I've spent the whole past night reading this topic. Thanks, YOU everybody! I wish you could visit all for the spots, Lol I'm already saving money for Santa Monica (L.A.) but, life's long, there's time, eheh... Thanks again to all of your beautiful photo work 🙂

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This tour seems sick! That must have been really great! 

Thanks for the photos and comments! 

May I ask a question please? 

Is it necessary to have a car to do a green day tribute trip like these or can you do it with public transports like bus? 

Thanks again and congratulations

30 minutes ago, Sankuta said:

Is it necessary to have a car to do a green day tribute trip like these or can you do it with public transports like bus? 

For the Oakland sites you can get around with public transport I would guess. Many of the sites are outside of the city and you would need a car.

4 hours ago, Sankuta said:

It's easier and quicker with a car, but definitely all possible on public transport. Christie Road is the hardest place to reach, but you can do it quite cheaply by getting buses to Hercules and then Ubers to and from Christie Road (not sure how the signal is there for calling one back though). You can also easily do Rodeo or Crockett from Hercules to make the trip more worthwhile.

Day tickets on AC Transit (Oakland city buses) are $5.50 and on WestCat (north of Oakland) they're $5. The BART is more expensive and isn't as close to most of the sites as the buses.

18 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

For the Oakland sites you can get around with public transport I would guess. Many of the sites are outside of the city and you would need a car.

Ok! Thanks a lot :)

14 hours ago, solongfromthestars said:

It's easier and quicker with a car, but definitely all possible on public transport. Christie Road is the hardest place to reach, but you can do it quite cheaply by getting buses to Hercules and then Ubers to and from Christie Road (not sure how the signal is there for calling one back though). You can also easily do Rodeo or Crockett from Hercules to make the trip more worthwhile.

Day tickets on AC Transit (Oakland city buses) are $5.50 and on WestCat (north of Oakland) they're $5. The BART is more expensive and isn't as close to most of the sites as the buses.

Ok! Thanks a lot for tour answer which us really precise

I'm french and I'm planning a Green day tribute Travel since several years. As I've Never been to the USA it's hard to imagine if public transports are handy or not. 

So thanks a lot :)

• 3 months later...

So towards the end of our last trip we took the 86 bus (!) to Art of Ears, where 1000 Hours, Slappy, 39/Smooth and Kerplunk were recorded. We expected to just take photos but Andy "Andro" Ernst spotted us and "wondered what these punk rockers were doing out here." :lol: He was kind enough to invite us inside and showed us around. Sadly, the studio is now up for sale and Andro is considering moving to Las Vegas - so now's the time to go if you want to see it.

9e0a344e08cc164de6042eb4e7f75c2d1ccba158

25776916c2bf6aaf3b3dd4931497c4d8127f004f

0cd30d41300c6029d64868ca6942c4a12f2bb350 27a285_a7df47cb2f6f4251bfdce6d6fec8f400~

Andro also invited us to take a photo with him. Definitely a photo and memory I'll treasure forever.

27a285_e939137aec554739bae581e2a919c74a~

My tour is actually complete now! I'll be back with a link to my website when I've sorted it all out :D

Heads up for people disappointed about the Christie Road sign being stolen - you can see the original sign in Broken Guitars, where it's definitely not going anywhere.

20f42a6080d04be1400792c4dcd1f7b2a43c2e0d

This is the actual sign, which was photographed by Billie’s ex Arica when they hung out there, so it’s more relevant than the stolen one! That was just a railway marker for the Christie area (which is sad for the railway enthusiasts who also visit Christie Road, but anyway).

There are also farm signs with addresses further down Christie Road. Again, these are actually more relevant since they refer to the road, not the railway and further down is where the band hung out.

4e2daf76f2dfbc677a6cf4e6f5aff0a63b40fbd1

This railway enthusiast actually has some interesting info about the history of Christie Road and the station that used to be there.

If anyone is interested I've been posting (and still have more to post) some pics of the Green Day sites around the Bay Area on my instagram. We did part of the tour back in 2018 and finished off earlier this month.

This is one of my posts and is of the Art of Ears Studio in Hayward, CA where we were lucky enough to meet Andy "Andro" Ernst who produced GD's early stuff:

There's also some cool GD stuff on there for anyone who is interested in collecting.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived