American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

You dont have to cream over every single thing the band does to be a good fan. A lot of people will not like this. Its nothing to do with the band themselves, but more to do with how the American Idiot theme is being milked and turned into something that probably should have been left as an album. Just my view

I think the director wants to do this because he loves AI. As I told Beth yesterday, he seems like "one of us" the way he talks about AI. If my occupation was directing plays, I would want to do something with a band that I love. I can understand why it's happening, and I just hope it will be great. With someone as talented as he sounds to be and doing something that he has a great love and respect for - you never know - it could be amazing!

i guess im not the only one who thought the whole story in ai was completely stupid an unnecesary? i mean what was it, some dude who acted like a dick, ran away from home, found a chick, who decided he was a dick, left him and then he went back home. sounds like a completely pointless journey to me.

lol, I guess you're right. I just like the music over the story. The characters just connect everything, I guess. But yeah, not really all that ingenious or creative when you break it down.

^I thought the story as it was on AI was brilliant, it was a really interesting way of conveying the feelings and ideas they wanted to express on the album.

I'd definitely say the character was portrayed as a totally unlikeable dick in the JOS video :lol:, but on the album itself I didn't see him like that at all. I think a lot of Billie himself went into Jesus/Jimmy, it seems like a reflection of his own coming-of-age. The songs certainly come across as very personal, and the characters make that personal story universal. I like it.

I think the director wants to do this because he loves AI. As I told Beth yesterday, he seems like "one of us" the way he talks about AI. If my occupation was directing plays, I would want to do something with a band that I love. I can understand why it's happening, and I just hope it will be great. With someone as talented as he sounds to be and doing something that he has a great love and respect for - you never know - it could be amazing!

I felt the same way after reading about him. When he said, 'The connection I felt to American Idiot surprised me. I knew and liked Green Day, but had no clue that I would ever feel so inside their songs', I felt so much more optimistic about this project. No one who loves someone and respects a beautiful piece of art like AI would desecrate it with lameness. Hopefully. :)

This has ben one hellava Green Day week - I'm loving it!

I can't decide whether this could be amazing or final proof that they've dissappeared up their own arses.

I felt the same way after reading about him. When he said, 'The connection I felt to American Idiot surprised me. I knew and liked Green Day, but had no clue that I would ever feel so inside their songs', I felt so much more optimistic about this project. No one who loves someone and respects a beautiful piece of art like AI would desecrate it with lameness. Hopefully. :)

Exactly, Cheryl, exactly - on all counts. That's why I'm feeling so positive (so far :).

I can't decide whether this could be amazing or final proof that they've dissappeared up their own arses.

Exactly.

I hope it's good though, I like musicals quite a bit, lets just hope it's not all cheesy and they get some good actors etc.

So they're including 21stCB songs in it as well? That's.. weird. :ermm:

Well, maybe that will sort of complete the story line?

I don't really like the idea of linking 21CB and AI together...

I don't know - if the song fits the show, why not? It seems like a lot of the songs on 21CB could be AI follow-ups.

I don't really like the idea of linking 21CB and AI together...

I agree with you. They're two seperated albums and I think GD really want to keep them seperate, so I don't know if it's a good idea to put them together.

^ Yes, and by doing this they're basically suggesting that 21stCB is part II of American Idiot.

And once again, with the reasoning they gave us as to why they won't release HLAHG; this just doesn't make any sense.

I want the real explanation to that one. NOW. :lol:

^ Yes, and by doing this they're basically suggesting that 21stCB is part II of American Idiot.

And once again, with the reasoning they gave us as to why they won't release HLAHG; this just doesn't make any sense.

Warner Brothers are bitches. Explanation enough. :lol:

Join the queue ! It's obvious someone, somewhere's bullshitting us. :mad:

Uhm... one random question... I dunno where to put it, but as there are many people on this thread, I'll just ask. Does GDA work for you?

Uhm... one random question... I dunno where to put it, but as there are many people on this thread, I'll just ask. Does GDA work for you?

It doesn't work for anyone methinks.

It doesn't work for anyone methinks.

Mh that's what I thought. I hate when GDA doesn't work, I always feel like I might miss some news :pinch:

it will be very interesting to see if this works or not. could be good for big fans but im not sure if it would appeal to a wide audience. you never know though :D

Mh that's what I thought. I hate when GDA doesn't work, I always feel like I might miss some news :pinch:

They are just updating the site I believe. Just go to GD.com's news in the meantime, or Google news since GD.com is really slow.

oh dear. This has made me die a little inside.

(I seem to recall reading or hearing 'Mr Armstrong' something along the lines of 'over his dead body' would this ever be a 'musical'. Maybe I misread/misheard).

I have found the interview I was refering to above. It was 'Fook WKQX-FM Radio Interview 2004'. BJA says when asked about making a film of American Idiot - and I quote - "That would be, theres been people talking about it. There's no Broadway thing thats going to happen, over, over my dead body"

I wonder what it took to change his mind?