Green Day Lyrics Vs. Music

Fuzz

Lyrics are always the very first thing I'm drawn to, with any band. The more I can relate to them, the more I love the song usually, which is probably the biggest reason why Green Day are my favorite band. Whatever mood I'm in, Billie had been in that same state before and was able to put the feeling into words and immortalize it into a song. I don't think there'll ever be another band I can connect with to a greater degree. If I already love the lyrics, the music... even if it isn't particularly catchy to begin with, grows on me to the point where I love it too. This is NEVER the other way around with me. No connection to the lyrics = I hate the song.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

music is just a little pass the lyrics, for me.

both are important, but music is what usually grabs me first. then i listen and disect the lyrics.

Both. Enough said. They both play an equally important part in the songs for me. :) Gotta love Green Day.

Both

It's 50/50 with me.

On 1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours, I always just sit there and listen to the lyrics so intently because so many of those songs relate to me. But at the same time, the Music on that album is just so amazing, it makes me go :woot: every single time.

:off: I love your ava :wub:

i think both, but if i had to pick one, it would be lyrics. i mean you can interpret music any way you like, but when it comes to the lyrics, there's only the way you can truly take it: the way the lyricist meant it to be.

Music. Lyrics are the last thing I notice about a song. Good lyrics make the song better, obviously, but I prefer the music over the lyrics.

Lyrics. I always read the lyrics while listening to the music when I first get an album. I try to understand them as much as I can and sometimes I can related to them. It shows what kind of band they are and what they are going through. Also the powerful message hidden behind them. But of course the music is important too.

Its a combination of both for me with Green Days music. I love different things about both parts.

Songs are much more meaningful to me if the lyrics are great

It's a mix.

A great song musically, can be ruined by bad lyrics. A great song lyrically, can be ruined by bad music. Green Day seems to, 90% of the time, hit it right on both ends.

Usually the music is what i notice first, if it's catchy then I'll listen to it. If the lyrics are good then it just makes the song even better and more special to me. But it's really both for me. For Green Day I think if some of the lyrics were better, I'd like them even more.

I don't know, when they get those guitars ripping I don't pay attention to much else, I just rock out...

But I've always been a fan of their lyrics, I think, at least, even when he's bitching or complaining, it's never in that whiny emo way. Then some are profound in a sense, which I almost never expect, because who are we kidding, it's Green Day. I love em, but profound isn't normally their thing.

Lyrics. In the majority of songs I listen to, I always try and hear what is being said.

i say music..cuz if the music if horrifying then im gonna hate the song.

I'd say lyrics for me. If they're written well, they have the power to change someone's life,evoke a tear or any other emotion. Like somebody feels the way you do and you're not alone. Lyrics have the ability to create pictures in your mind and allows you to think about what the artist may be referring to and apply it to your own experiences. The music usually just falls into place after that. At least for me they do.

music usually, great riffs, drumming and bass, and billie has a cool singing voice- i like it when its all slurred it sounds great and original.

Lyrics i usually notice afterwards and some of them are really poerful especially on warning and american idiot.

Well, for me, the song catches my attention by the sound, and then I look at the lyrics to learn the words. Then I end up looking at the lyrics of the whole album, and pick which lyrics I like, even if i'm not so into the sound, I still end up liking the song.

I guess for me its the music, and the beat, cos when you first hear a song, it's the general tune and beat which gets you listening to it. The lyrics tend to be more important when you've heard the song a good cuople of times.

Also, I'd rather be able to play drums in a song, rather than sing it.

So I guess it is the music, although good lyrics definitly help a song be good, obviously lol.

x

but when it comes to the lyrics, there's only the way you can truly take it: the way the lyricist meant it to be.

i disagree. sometimes you don't even know what the lyricist meant it to be, different people can get different meanings from the same song :)

^true..its just like symbolism..things mean different things to people..just like Davey Havok..[inside joke]

its best it stays like that. :P

omg my grandma read that post i just posted..and he's like does he create alot of havok? lmao..i showed her a couple pics..and she's like "when he gets resurected he won't have all those tatoos" :rolleyes::lol: then she saw his arms..and she's like.."are those more tatoos" im like "eah".then replys " i think i've seen enough of Davey Havok"..aww bless her..she puts up with these bands i listen to.

• 3 weeks later...

music. i dont really consider green day to be "deep" or whatever. if i want lyrics ill listen to bad religion or rap or something.

Green Day's lyrics are so meaningful they acctually mean heaps but most people dont understand what they mean

if you say the music you're not a real Green Day fan!!

lyrics i say but its good to have cool music to it

having great lyrics makes the song mean something.

Archived