Green Day Recreating themselves?

allenxtreme

Musically they could. But it wouldn't be "true", if you know what I mean. They've matured to much.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think whatever they come up with will be almost like documenting where they are at right now, too many things have happened in their lives since then however they could still use inspiration from before then, question is would they want to?

I honestly don't know, I mean they're sound has changed since Dookie because sounds in rock change anyway. Whatever they come up with, I'm sure I'll like either way.

they could but i don't want them too.

i like AI more then Dookie. way more.

and i prefer them now then in the dookie era.

they could but i don't want them too.

i like AI more then Dookie. way more.

and i prefer them now then in the dookie era.

I prefer their older sound.

I don't think they could back to their previous... style. The music can be similar to Dookie, but not lyrics. They're just older, they can't write the same lyrics as when they were (almost) teenagers.

Sure they could recreate themselves. It happens all the time. But I don't think that they would.

Well, the thing is, they still smash stuff and go crazy on stage. I mean we all have seen billies ass more than our share of times, they are still crazy like they were when Dookie came out. They are slightly more mature now, but think about it, they all have kids now, they need to behave themeselves somewhat. I think their music has changed a bit, but not for the worst. Its still awesssoommmeee, and I think that they have such a strong folowing now, that if they redid dookie, people would still listen to it. I think that wwhatever the hell they do they will still be loved, and have a strong following. I hope that makes sense, I tried to answer your question as best as I could...haha :thumbsup:

Also, I think they are in a new part of their lives, if thats what you want to call it, where they wouldnt want to recreate themselves, they are going along with American Idiot, and good for them.

I mean, its not like they disowned their old selfs either, they still sting their old songs, so in a way, they still are like they were when they did dookie, but they are older, and wiser.

That makes no sense, but I understood it haha. :wub:

I like both their old and their new sound.

Yeah I agree. Both are different. Their old stuff shows their andolesence.and their new sound is more, mature I guess you could say, both amazing though.

I wouldn't want them to try and recreate themselves..! :ermm:

Fact is, they're not 20 anymore, and shouldn't act like it either! I'm not saying they're old, just OLDER.. and luckily a bit different than they were 10 years ago.

They've matured and grown; it's a GOOD thing! :)

no one should go backwards in life - and who would want to, really? Their sound may be a bit more polished than it was in '94, but it STILL has that raw, edgy, sit-up-and-take-notice sound that hooked us all... I believe it always will, no matter how 'mature' everyone thinks they are.

Even though they are older and matured...I am sure they still have it in them. Just cause they've matured doesn't mean they still don't have that young spark that started off their career in them. You can still like feel that vibe even in their new songs, it's not as strong but really I think they just wanted to do something different. I don't think they all of a sudden just couldn't do those high energy dookie songs, I just think they just wanted to try something else out to see if it would work. They could go back to that hardcore sound if they wanted to, I don't think they will though because they are in a totally different situation and a whole new place now. I don't think their new album will be like anything they've had before...all their albums are different. Going back to the main topic, I'm sure they still have that in them.

I like both sounds, old and new, but if they could re create it that would rock my socks off

but sadly i don't think they could since they're 30 some and not 20 some-they matured over time

but then it's green day so you never really know

though, i agree with ~totalnimrod~ here, dude, you speak the truth

I think it's possible but it wouldn't be the same no matter how hard they tried cause now they are more serious and mature. But who knows it could happen.

I think about this a lot.

I think American Idiot has some good stuff on it, but I honestly hope it was a one time thing. The more generic pop rock style of that album just isn't want I want Green Day's sound transforming into.

I feel that, although their punkier antics may be quite enjoyable, they aren't needed. What I think is the key to Green Day's older image and style is not taking themselves too seriously, and musical variety.

The dark feel and image of American Idiot is also something I think doesn't fit with Green Day very well. Green Day's pre-American Idiot songs were never very dark, and always kind of had a happy-uplifting sound to them.

I think it would be cool if Green Day went back to being the old punk rockers they were, again, and, at least for now, I think they still have it in them. But I understand that that's not exactly the most likely thing ever.

Still. I kind of get tired of the political stuff. What I'm hoping is that they can stop worrying about all these outside factors, and just go back to being the fun and carefree guys they were before. I can totally see them releasing an album with songs more in the style of "Maria" and "Poprocks and Coke".

If Green Day were to record Dookie again, it would sound very different no doubt, but I think the attitude and emotion would still be there... cos although it's not about a current point in their lives, they'll still think back to what first inspired that song and get caught up in the moment all over again. :)

I like the old and new sound, though I just hope they don't go too pop with the next album... AI wasn't that pop but I odn't want them to get carried away just to get in to the mainstream again. I don't think they will though, I think they'll stay true to their punk roots :happy:

If a 34 year old bloke wrote a song that included the lyric's "I'm feeling like a dog in heat" and "when masturbations lost it's fun" he'd be seen as some horny perve. Especially as he's a father and a husband.

They aren't rebel teens anymore, they are older and more mature- excluding Tre- and wanking, boredom and drugs aren't so important to them anymore.

Green Day have always said that they look to progress and just have fun. I think that they look to recreate with each new album and they are always to great.

So I don't think it really matters.

The dark feel and image of American Idiot is also something I think doesn't fit with Green Day very well. Green Day's pre-American Idiot songs were never very dark, and always kind of had a happy-uplifting sound to them.

I disagree- many pre-AI songs were dark. Insomniac, anyone? (And yes, i am aware that Insominac is an album, not a song.)

I disagree- many pre-AI songs were dark. Insomniac, anyone? (And yes, i am aware that Insominac is an album, not a song.)

I would also have to disagree. While some of the subject matters on Insomniac are kind of morbid, and songs like "Brain Stew" aren't exactly uplifting, it still doesn't take itself too seriously, and the songs are still kind of happy-punky sounding. American Idiot was very dark in both the subject matters, and the sound of the songs. And it had the whole "epic" thing going for it. It's too serious for my taste.

And I'm not against emotion in songs either. 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours is filled with emotional and personal songs, and I love that album. The thing about that is that it doesn't try to be "epic".

Archived