Green Day Recreating themselves?

allenxtreme

OK, I never make topics...and I dunno if this has been done or not, I did search but spank me if it has...here goes:

Do you think Green Day could recreate Dookie as well as they did back in 1993-1994? Or do you think they've progressed too much to have that raw attitude and style? I myself think, if Billie Joe got a cheap guitar, Dirnt smashed his guitar and Tre just did as he does now, they could...I dunno, I hope the question is clear enough. Discuss....

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're too old to do that..

I think maybe they've matured but, I dont reckon they're too old, they still stand by that record and adore it with the same meaning as they did when they brought it out, right now they're doing different things eg protesting the war, raising money, but I think deep down they love that whole teenage, just coming to grips with life attitude and I think they possibly could interprite (sp?) that into new songs.

yeah I think they could. It might not be exactly the same sound, but I think they'd be able to pull it off.

I think maybe they've matured but, I dont reckon they're too old, they still stand by that record and adore it with the same meaning as they did when they brought it out, right now they're doing different things eg protesting the war, raising money, but I think deep down they love that whole teenage, just coming to grips with life attitude and I think they possibly could interprite (sp?) that into new songs.

I can't imagine 34 year olds acting like they're 20 again and trying to be serious about their music...

I can't imagine 34 year olds acting like they're 20 again and trying to be serious about their music...

Blink 182 did it....then again....look where they are now.

Blink 182 did it....then again....look where they are now.

Yes there's quite a bit of a difference between those two bands..

I think they could, and I hope they will in some way. In my opinion, there's yet to be a band that matures and still tells it like it is, without moaning on about getting older or looking back at their past constantly - this, of course, reflects the kind of people they are, and the fact that the longer a band is successful and rich, the less they have to write about.

Green Day still have the J.A.R. attitude - maxing out life, living every moment; remember BIAB, how they were gonna play that show like it was the last one they'd ever do, make it the best? As Billie Joe says, the core emotions remain the same at every stage of life, just that most people become comfortable and numb - umm, sorry, Floyd, lol!

As long as Green Day remain in touch, alive in the moment, and driven to achieve, Son of Dookie is entirely possible - maybe even probable.

I think they could, and I hope they will in some way. In my opinion, there's yet to be a band that matures and still tells it like it is, without moaning on about getting older or looking back at their past constantly - this, of course, reflects the kind of people they are, and the fact that the longer a band is successful and rich, the less they have to write about.

Green Day still have the J.A.R. attitude - maxing out life, living every moment; remember BIAB, how they were gonna play that show like it was the last one they'd ever do, make it the best? As Billie Joe says, the core emotions remain the same at every stage of life, just that most people become comfortable and numb - umm, sorry, Floyd, lol!

As long as Green Day remain in touch, alive in the moment, and driven to achieve, Son of Dookie is entirely possible - maybe even probable.

I fucking hope so, as much as I slate Green Day alot, I love them, and they're my true inspiration, Dookie was, and is a fantastic album, Son of Dookie would be awesome, I think Dookie and Kerplunk, not so much 1039, are the albums for every teen who is going through shit to listen to, they were upbeat and you could feel the raw power and you quoted Pink Floyd, so now I love you.

I think the thing that fans keep forgetting or just plain ignoring.... is that what they identify with when it comes to dooikie... is that that is a classic album. it reflects exactly how they feel. they were young back then! they are a lot older now. the fact that fans of that age group (the same age they were when they recorded dookie) still identify with that is what makes it classic.

the band are totally incapable of remaking dookie as they have too much self respect (if thats possible) to try and recapture something they out grew years ago.

I am sure they could, if they wanted to, come up with songs as raw and angry as they came out with all those years ago. but the anger would be directed against issues other than those that concern the unemployed youth, the college students or whoever. well maybe the issues would be similar, but the perspective would be different.

i agree with you.

they wouldn't be able to pull it off.

After Dookie came out, all the critics and most of the fans were expecting "Son of Dookie", but what they got was Insomniac. I don't think Green Day would want to make that record. If they did, it would've happened 10 years ago. Right now, they are in a completely different stage of their lives and careers. I wouldn't even expect them to make an AI part 2 at this point. If they do decide to go with a more raw sounding feel for the next record, it'll still be nothing like Dookie.

i think that they have matured to much to re create what they did then they say it themselves they dont wanna release the same album twice they like to keep their music different cos otherwise they'd get bored

The original post asked if Green Day were capable of stripping down their sound again and producing something like Dookie, and I don't see why not - firstly, because they're capable of anything they set out to do.

Dookie to me is an album of tremendous variety, reflecting a lot of different things - naturally, most of them apply to the teenage years, although Billie Joe always has depth, reflectiveness and developed thought in all of his lyrics. I think it's completely conceivable that they could produce an album with the same kind of variety, reflecting where their lives are at now - I'm not suggesting they'd write about the same things as they did on Dookie, that's fucking ludicrous.

As for a stripped-down sound - who's to say they wouldn't be interested in a contrast with the high production of AI, going back to basics?

I'm not saying that they would want to - I'm just saying if they did want to, they totally could do it!

yea good point but they can recreate themselves just not act like a bunch of dumbasses or ike they are 25 agian

no they couldnt. they may be better musicians now but they are different people then they were in 93 and 94. they think different..i mean im hoping they do :/

Thats A really well thaught out question

and my answer is:

OF COARSE.

It's Green Day

It wouldn't sound exactly the same thought becuase that cd was done 12 years ago,it's not that easy to go back and make the exact same sound,but I definetly think they could do it :D

i dont think it would be exactly the same. they could try and they would probably do quite well but it wouldnt be the same.

i saw Billie Joe interviewed and he said that he has always tried to write songs that he will always be able to sing and relate to, i think they could do it

well, that was what Green Day did themselves several years ago. I'm sure they could, if they wanted to, because basically it means they just have to repeat what they did like 10 years ago. It would be different if another band tries to do what Green Day did with Dookie, but its Green Day being a younger Green Day so of course they could do it.

Archived