Defending Green Day

Fuzz

Why is there a need to make every single person in the world listen to and love Green Day? Arent there enough already? People will have their own opinions, and even if they dont thing the band sucks, they will say it. Trying to argue them in anyway isnt pointless, but they arent going to change their mind at all. Often time, the people who try to convince are a little younger and dont know what they are talking about, and only know information about green day, but nothing else. So its hard to carry any arguement anyways.

When someone says GReen Day sucks, who cares. Unless you are gunna start some kinda cult to overtake the world or something, people will be people. some are dicks, some are cool. if they dont like them, so be it. to each his own.

If for example, you really hate rap, and choose to voice that opinion. And someone tells you how many records they have sold, or how many awards, or the recognition, or amazing things they have done. Will they make you appreciate rap music? Probably not. That is all Andres is saying. And when people identify themselves with GDA and make a fool of themselves trying to 'convince' or in this case say things such as "Green Day 4 life" gives GDA a bad image that we dont want.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this editorial section was a brilliant idea. We need to talk more about issues like this.

Anyway, I agree with the fact that people were making fools of themselves by posting on that site, but just like there are people who feel the need to bash Green day, there are people who are going to feel the need to defend them. Just like those people can't change others' opinions on Green Day, you can't stop them from defending Green Day.

I think it is good that people have different opinions on Green Day, it makes life interesting. However, if I see someone post something, I enjoy debating about that topic. I am not going to say foolish, pointless things that have no substance. And yeah, I read some of the replies on that site, and it does give GDA a bit of a bad reputation.

I will choose to stand up for what I believe in, but I am not going to tell people they must like Green Day. Nor would I tell people that they are idiots just because they didn't sit back and ignore distasteful comments. And Andres, you should know by now that not all people that come onto the GDA are level-headed. You lit the fire by posting that link. And if the Green Day Authority looks bad because of this issue, it is rightfully so. It is what it is. Sorry that we don't have advanced enough technology to control people's minds yet.

The article is perfect! I completly agree. If someone said to me that Green Day sucks, i'd say that i disagree, but that's their opinion,so I wont tell them what to mean anyway..I don't care about what they mean. It's just stupid and waste of time..

Andres, you're the man, you said it right at the point. I don't care either wehter someone is a Green Day fan or not, at least I am and I'm happy about that. So defending has no use at all, like you said. I totally agree with your post :thumbsup:

It sickens me that some of you think there is no use in defending something.

Well don't quite be sickened yet. I agree with you Andres, but at the same time I replied to this earlier another thought that came to me was "If we hadn't did anything he would have been surprised we didn't defend them." I'm kind of split on this, but I guess what you were trying to say was more along the lines of if you're going to defend them, do it right. Some of the people from GDA and some of the people from punknews made complete idiots of themselves. Some of them had no point behind it, and they just wanted attention. I posted on there to try to knock some sense into those people, but in the end I felt like it was just GDA visitors vs. themselves. Hardly anyone from punknews posted on there and you have about 100 visitors from GDA telling them to fuck off.

I think that that is right te people dont have to say other people to like green day if thy dont one and if the people dont like it that their problem! :thumbsup: good article :thumbsup:

I AGREE

ANDREEEESSS YOU'RE NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO THING THAT :blink:

i dont agree!! we should burn people at the stake!! die die die green day haters!!! oooooh!!! :woot:

whatever.

it just gets really annoying when people have huge long debates and they're like "OMGTHEYSUCK" without giving a reason. i would never go out and start a topic about "how much i love green day and you should too, otherwise you're retarded/gay" because that's just asking for trouble and stupid, nor would i argue with someone who says they dont like green day because they dont like billie's voice or something becaues that's a valid reason, but if somebody's making up stuff or just being "i hate green day because they're such a mainstream band and it's not cool to like bands that are popular" then im gonna get mad at them.

i like a good debate... but then again i also like to tick people off >.> i wouldnt run around starting fights, but some people need to just shut up.

Who are you to tell people what to do and what not to do. If people want to tell people that Green Day doesent suck then they can tell people that and you can't stop them. Honestly why should anyone listen to someone that they dont even know. You have no right telling people not to say what they want to say.

If people start bashing Green Day for no reason it just shows how pathetic they are, but is there really a point in going on forever and saying that they don't suck. Think about it.

I don't have much to say that hasn't already been said, it would just be repeating it all over again. I think some people may be misinterpreting the article (or whatever you want to call it) that Andres wrote. His point wasn't that you shouldn't defend Green Day so that you don't seem stupid. I think he was just saying that he thinks it's more sensible not to go on and argue about something stupid like for example you defend Green Day with a stupid or not really relevant argument or when you try to defend them from some comment which is stupid. As he has said, it will just make you seem stupid.

I can understand that he doesn't want GDA to be related (in a sense) to those people who go ahead and post some nonsense message. Probably he just doesn't want a general image to be made about people who visit GDA as that sort of people because not all the people who visit GDA are like that.

Anyways, it's ok for anyone to defend Green Day if that's what you want to do, just do it with some good reason.

Thank you Andres for your article. I've heard a lot of bashing even between Green Day fans. The important thing here is the music. I was fortunate enough to become a fan back in 1994 and I have loved them ever since but I can't hold that against a fan who heard them for the first time recently. Does that make them any less of a fan? No. A true fan is one who really loves the music and who appreciates how talented these guys are. As for those who dislike Green Day, who think they aren't "punk" enough or who think Green Day are full of themself...that's their opinion. What kind of world would it be if everyone liked the same thing? I'm just happy that I've found a band who's music gets under my skin and who I can rely on to get me through the good times and the bad. That's their problem if they are missing out on that.

Oh, and I totally agree with you (only I haven't been a fan since Dookie).

EDIT:

AND!!: What Andres seems to have done is just write that article as a suggestion, he is not telling people what to do or what not to do. He just explains what his point of view is. And I suppose some people who visit GDA would prefer those people posting on punknews.org not to identify with GDA, as some have done, because it seems as if GDA was telling people to go on there and bash those Green Day bashers, and that's definitely not what they are doing (and it's not the way everyone on here is, I mean, we don't all post that sort of comments with no real reasons being explained).

oh i agree with you, irene-person, but im not trying to disagree with andres, im just saying... there's times when an arguement is inevetable. well...

i dont know. i just thought id point out that arguing, when done right & for the right reasons, isnt a bad thing. i skimmed over some of the posts and it just seems like everybody is all "oh yeah, i agree blah blah" with out considering that. (i know that just because they're not writing it down, that doesnt mean they dont agree, but i just thought id put it out there)

You lit the fire by posting that link. And if the Green Day Authority looks bad because of this issue, it is rightfully so. It is what it is. Sorry that we don't have advanced enough technology to control people's minds yet.

The point i made was that GDA shouldn't be represented by a few dozen people. Like i said in the article, over 40,000 people visit GDA everyday. It's not fair for it to be given this image of ignorant teenagers because they are the ones arguing.

Who are you to tell people what to do and what not to do. If people want to tell people that Green Day doesent suck then they can tell people that and you can't stop them. Honestly why should anyone listen to someone that they dont even know. You have no right telling people not to say what they want to say.

If people start bashing Green Day for no reason it just shows how pathetic they are, but is there really a point in going on forever and saying that they don't suck. Think about it.

You made no sense at all in your finish. It's that kind of argument I'm trying to prevent.

I'm not telling people not to defend Green Day, but I PERSONALLY think it's pathetic if you try to convince someone of your own OPINION. Editorials are opinions, this is my personal opinion. I'm not saying I'm better than anyone, I'm just spreading my opinion about it. I would hate for GDA to get this negative image because of a few ignorant people. Most of the people who visit GDA are very decent people. Just imagine one of the older visitors, 30-40 yrs old, being ashamed to visit GDA because there are abunch of ignorant pre-teens posting crap on other sites. Thats what i don't want. Thats why i wrote this editorial. So before you go off and pretend that you are putting my relevance into perspective, realize what the purpose of editorials are.

oh i agree with you, irene-person, but im not trying to disagree with andres, im just saying... there's times when an arguement is inevetable. well...

i dont know. i just thought id point out that arguing, when done right & for the right reasons, isnt a bad thing. i skimmed over some of the posts and it just seems like everybody is all "oh yeah, i agree blah blah" with out considering that. (i know that just because they're not writing it down, that doesnt mean they dont agree, but i just thought id put it out there)

I actually agree with you too, and my message wasn't only directed at you, it was just something I was saying in general. As I say "it's ok for anyone to defend Green Day if that's what you want to do, just do it with some good reason".

Anyways, on a side note, I hope my message doesn't seem to have an agressive tone because that's not the way I am trying to communicate my opinion.

I actually agree with you too, and my message wasn't only directed at you, it was just something I was saying in general. As I say "it's ok for anyone to defend Green Day if that's what you want to do, just do it with some good reason".

Anyways, on a side note, I hope my message doesn't seem to have an agressive tone because that's not the way I am trying to communicate my opinion.

no, it wasnt agressive, just thought i would respond... :P no problemo!

... lol, sappy!! we should hug XD

no, it wasnt agressive, just thought i would respond... :P no problemo!

... lol, sappy!! we should hug XD

AUGH. DOUBLE POST. im sorry, can someone delete this? or... can i? 0.o i dont know how.

he, thanks. * ---

Tyke, are you trying to mess with our minds or do you have a bet that no one is going to read both of your posts and see they totally contradict each other?

Yeah... I agree.

I have alot of friends who don't like Green Day, but, they're stil my friends... They get annoyed when I talk about Green Day too much, like when I start saying the Bullet in a Bible is the best music DVD around, or how Tré recently got blonde hair, or how Mike has a signature bass, or how Billie got a new tatoo... stuff like that. So, y'know, I stop. But, if they don't like the fact that I am... basicly in love with Green Day, and they don't want to be my friends for it, well... their loss... they were never really my friends anyways. :ermm:

I have friends and I know people who like musicians that I can't stand! Like, my friend Jessica is obsessed with Shawn Desman... and, I can't truthfully say I like him at all... :mellow:

People are allowed to have their own taste in music. If they weren't, there wouldn't be such a diverse world of music. So, people... chill out when someone says they don't like Green Day... they're not saying that they're scumbags, and they should die! They're just voicing their opinions. But, that doesn't mean you should be afraid to voice your own opinion... just know where to draw the line, and don't go overboard... :thumbsup:

I completely agree with every point made. I also was unaware of people going to other sites to defend Green Day, I find the people whose goal is to make everyone like Green Day and stick up for every negative thing said about them just as pathetic as the people who bash them.

Awesome points.

Oh, and the editorial was an awesome idea as well! :thumbsup:

Kudos on the Editorial. I agree and disagree. After fighting with my cousin for 3 weeks straight redundantly saying that "No, Green Day does not hate America" and "Actually, Green Day's new music is good. your just to stubborn to listen to it." I gave up. Yes, I think we can "Promote" Green Day to others, you might make them a big fan. But no need to force it down anyone's throats. And the people who don't like Green Day becase they have gone "Mainstream" can go fuck themselves.The only part bad part about the "punks" is that they are super stubborn. They want the band all to themselves, because God forbid they follow a "trend". They want to be SO different, they will only like something that one one else does. That's part of the music food chain. Deal with it. First and foremost you should look at if you like the sound of the music. Not what they look like, what clothes they wear, how much money they have, what color their skin is, or what sexual orentaion they decide to be. For me, as long as i love the music, i couldn't give a fuck if they play it in a Holister store, or if Mtv plays is every 5 seconds. A "Green Day Poser" to me is someone who is like "I LOVE GREEN DAY SOO MUCH MORE THAN EVERYONE!!! I'M THE NUMBER ONE FAN!!" yet they only know the American Idiot cd. Because how can you be a "huge" fan if you only know 1/9 of their song base??? I also don't think you are a poser if you don't know every little fact about Green Day. Like i said,music is the most important thing about a band, not their full name.

Sorry if i jumped around a little. And sorry if this make no sence at all. I had alot of this in my mind for quite a while now. Thanks for bringing up this topic. It was something that no one wanted to talk about, but almost needed to be.

Sheena.Cool.

P.S.- And I have alot of friends who can't stand Green Day. They have an opinion, they have the right to voice it. Chill out if someone you know don't care for Green Day.

I'm posting this in response to the editorial I am not one of the people who posted to defend Green Day because I get enought of it at school. Normally my response to ppl who say

Green Day sucks is to flip them bird or tell them to go fuck themselves but reading a lot of the stuff ppl at GDA have written recently gives me a new opinon so now instead of saying fuck u i say ok w/e and move on. :thumbsup: so i give the thumbs up to GDA and this to all u Green Day haters :down: plus a big old F.O.D

Hmmm. I don't know who exactly to agree with, because I think both Andres and Tyke have a point. The only time I feel really defensive about Green Day, is when someone insults me personally for liking them. If they don't like Green Day, I'm not going to try and convert them, because that would be a waste of my time. I would tell them that they don't know what they're missing, but I wouldn't debate them to make them change their mind. But if they insult me for liking Green Day, then you can expect a real agrument from me. I don't take being a Green Day fan lightly. It's a huge part of my life, so I won't take bull shit from anybody who tells me I'm an ass because I am a fan.

Wow, every person's opinion on this has been really really intersting to read, to see each person's perspective on events.

Like a few other people I agree and disagree.

Some on the comments made on the "Punk" site were immature and had no real plot. A few were made where no evidence was given to back the points up or opinions it was just "GD ARE THE BEST. THEY ROCK. HOW DARE YOU DISS THEM" and when haters were coming back with essays it did make them seem even more immature. And of course they replied back with "DON'T YOU DARE DISS YOU SUCK IF YOU HATE GD"

Which is completely barbaric, everyone is intilted to their own opnion on anything, free will, well it's a way of Society but I think a line has to be drawn at how far people will go to defend a band.

I don't usually sit back and watch people diss Green Day but surpisngly, for me anyway, on the Punk site I just couldn't bring myself to comment and I was reading the hate flames and not getting pissed off because they were fair logical points and yes some were uncalled for and off subject slightly with the current issues related to Green Day but were valid which is why I didn't stick up for Green Day. I can understand why people are getting fed up with them now. In my 8 years of liking them my patience is runnig out.

True when I was 13 I was similar to a lot of people on here, well I think I was and of course as they grow older they will understand points more.

There is nothing wrong with defending your bad, stick up for what you believe in is credible but your point would come across better if you did it in a more sophisticated way.

Andres is correct on if it was me running this site I would not want it to get a bad name through all the hard work that has been put into it and I've only been here a couple of weeks and yeah some topics are slightly annoying and make me wonder why do you want to know this etc etc.

Meh! I'm actually going to stop now I'm sure I'm rambling.

So yeah.

This was an excellent idea by the way.

I enjoyed reading the article, pretty interesting. But I do enjoy defending Green Day, and kind of debating/argueing with people about Green Day, it's nice to be able to challenge people's views on Green Day. I'm not trying to change thier opinion, I'm just getting my own opinion across. I understand that some people defend Green Day in a really idiotic way that can give GDA a bad name, but since when has it mattered what people think of GDA??, Green Day fans like it and thats all that matters right?

Anyway, I like the editorial idea, should be another good section added to GDA :) So is anyone allowed to submit an editorial?

Archived