Did Green Day change your musical taste?

Fuzz

Before I heard Green Day i used to listen to country. Thats just what my parents and older brother liked so I just picked it up. The first time I heard Green Day I thought they kinda sucked. After a few times of hearing it I started to like it and started to get more into their stuff.

Now aside from Green Day I listen to more alternative indie kind of stuff and some pop-punk stuff, but not much. I also like older stuff like CCR and The Beatles.

So did listening to Green Day change the music you listened to as a whole? Or were you already into that kind of music when you found out about them?

Completely. Years ago,in the mid 80s, I loved the Dead Kennedys because my then bf was into them, but I just didn't see myself as liking punk rock. I t just seemed out of character. I would have been embarrassed to tell anyone I liked them, like they would have thought I was trying to be cool or sth.

So I forgot about punk rock, but most of what was on the radio bored me to tears, except Nirvana. When Kurt Cobain died I was devasted, swore I would never take a band I loved for granted.

First time I heard Green Day I fell completely in love. Then reading about them I found out about the whole scene that had spawned them and I fell in love with punk rock. Now it's pretty much all I listen to.

Guest n1i0m3r9od

Well, I was already starting to discover music that differs from Eminem. Green Day, however, really opened the doors of Punk Rock to me, without them, I would have never discovred most fo the bands I love today.

Yes, before Green Day I listened to pop, country and 70's 80's music. I didn't really care about music though but when I heard Green Day I got really into it and now I can't live without music anymore. I also started to listen to Pinhead Gunpowder, Good charlotte, Foo Fighters and so on...

A real big change for me.

Yes, Green Day did change my musical taste...but when I started to hear them I was 10 so I wasn't really into any type of music. Since I knew them I begun listening punk, alternative etc

Yes, they did for sure. It was the first band that could be considered somewhat punk (since I don't want to begin any debate that's been done a thousand times before) I listened to and fell in love wiht. They allowed me to expand my music taste to a whole new range of bands that I also love by now.

It didn't change my musical taste, per se, just because I'm open to just about any kind of music (except country and rap-- takes me awhile to find something I like from those). But they did introduce me to other bands of a similar style that I now like :D.

i don't think it did to be honest. i grew up listening to green day and bands that inspired them thanks to my dad. i did sorta drift off listening to punk rock etc. whilst in primary school cause the other kids made fun of me. silly, but i didnt know any better at the time. now i listen to anything and everything [ to some extent] like i always have.

Yeah, I discovered Green Day when I was 12 years old (6 years ago). At the time all I listened to was mainstream pop, the only 'alternative' music I listened to was Limpbizkit. I saw Green Day for the first time when I flicked onto MTV2 and they were on, I went out brought all their albums and they have been my favourite band since. They opened me up to more guitar based music and inspired me to play the guitar. Without them god knows what shit I would be listeing to. Not only did they change my music taste they also made me more passionate about music, before Green Day I didn't really take notice of lyrics or how in-depth music is. I have alot to thank them for :D

Guest Phoebe.

Before Green Day I liked a whole mix of crap, Green Day has kinda been a stepping stone for me. Onto some music I really truly love. :)

Yeh before I heard Green Day I liked Eminem and just rap in general. But listening to Green Day really showed me what kind of a mediocre genre Rap/HipHop is. But unfortunately i must admit I only started liking Green Day during American Idiot. But at least i dared to venture out to the older stuff unlike many newer fans.

Listening to Green Day made me more aware of bands like The Ramones, The Clash, Sex Pistols and so on.

Sure I still like Eminem but not as much anymore. And I don't like many of his songs anymore. I respect him but I've lost all genuine interest.

No not at all. I was into indie/punk type of music from the age of about 14. Green Day didn't come onto my radar until I was about 23 I suppose. I liked them a lot but I must admit to feeling a bit embarrassed to admit it then. I was "too cool" to like this pop punk band, even when it became obvious to me that they had history (Kerplunk, 1039). It's ironic then to find 13 years later that American Idiot has made me fall in love with them all over again and, now older and wiser, I'm very proud to admit it!! :pinch:

No not at all. I was into indie/punk type of music from the age of about 14. Green Day didn't come onto my radar until I was about 23 I suppose. I liked them a lot but I must admit to feeling a bit embarrassed to admit it then. I was "too cool" to like this pop punk band, even when it became obvious to me that they had history (Kerplunk, 1039). It's ironic then to find 13 years later that American Idiot has made me fall in love with them all over again and, now older and wiser, I'm very proud to admit it!! :pinch:

Man, I used to be deep in an arty scene back in 1994, and liking Green Day was definitely not okay!

Man, I used to be deep in an arty scene back in 1994, and liking Green Day was definitely not okay!

Funny isn't it? I can remember some guy raving about them at, I think it was Glastonbury or Reading in 1994, I was like "Yeah - they're OK" thinking "I love em but I'm not letting on too much". Pathetic really.... :/

It sort of changed my taste. I use to listen to a lot of classic rock, and some '80's rock, but when I started listening to Green Day, I started to experience more pop-punk music, and now I love it.

I've always liked good music haha.

But to be fair, I got into a couple of bands through Green Day, like Operation Ivy, and then from them to other bands and such.

But that's how I get into most bands, through other bands. ha.

Definately, I used to listen to a whole lot of pop crap and whatever was on the radio before i found Green Day. :ph34r:

Funny isn't it? I can remember some guy raving about them at, I think it was Glastonbury or Reading in 1994, I was like "Yeah - they're OK" thinking "I love em but I'm not letting on too much". Pathetic really.... :/

I would admit it on occasion but people were like, huh? You were only supposed to like unlistenable noise shit. Plus I was 30 and Green Day was supposed to be kiddie stuff.

Guest worryrock91

I used to listen to all sorts of crap before I found Green Day. And yes, they have changed my musical taste. Thank god.

At least that has changed ! :thumbsup:

Yeah, it's actually not embarrassing to like Green Day. Who woulda thunk? :lol:

I`ve always listend to Green Day since I was little. But I liked rap before. A lot.

But I still like Eminem.

I didn't really listne to music before, everything just sucked. :mellow:

Well - you chose a good starting point! :thumbsup:

Archived