Green Day on Howard Stern (Sirius XM)

Squashie

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, The Bellie said:

People don't need a legitimate reason not to be a fan of someone anyway :P 

Pretty much a valid point. For me he just never really made an impact on the live show. He was there in his supporting role and he did it just fine. 

Mike Pelino had the same role but I remember him coming out for Give Me Novacaine and he had a presence. Mind you, he was involved in the East Bay punk scene he was definitely more fitting in the role than Jeff. Not to mention, he knew Billie Joe for years as Billie dated his sister when they were teenagers. 

Kevin has already made an impact on Howard Stern. He got to open WMUWSE on the acoustic. I noticed as well at Iheart he's out with the band too. In the performances on Kimmel and Iheart he had no mic though. They've been playing the songs as they're recorded which they haven't really done and I'm really enjoying it. Haven't noticed any quality gone from the backing vocals without Jeff. Hell, Kevin even looks a bit like Mike Pelino. I hope Kevin is around for Hella Mega. 

I did see Jeff Matika use the Hellamega hashtag on twitter. He may still be around for the shows. Anyone have any further info on Jeff's status? 

I'd never really noticed Jeff live, in Green Day or The Longshot, until the Rickshaw Stop videos where his vocals were off. Kevin had a distinct presence in The Longshot, though. I feel it was that and how well he played with Billie that made The Longshot feel like an actual band rather than Billie's touring musicians. He's seemed like a natural part of Green Day so far, too. It makes sense since he's a fan and played with FBHT. He's also one of the sweetest musicians I've met (like, so polite his mum should be proud!), which is a nice addition. I hope he stays!

On another note, I don't think Last Ride In would go well

tumblr_pzkxyyH0xU1qiqs5ro1_1280.jpg

Yeah I would hate it if they actually played Last Ride In. It's okay, but at a show? Hell no. Maybe as a pre-recorded break or opener.

Also, since people are talking about Kevin and how nice he is, I have to agree. I got a chance to interview him about Primma Donna and I was so nervous to ask about The Longshot. I didn't know if he was going to get annoyed, like if he only wanted to talk about his new LP. But he could not stop gushing about Billie and the Longshot! And he was a big sweetie in general, so seeing him on stage always makes me smile. 

You GDCers wouldn't give a shit about some random GD backup guitarist if it wasn't part of your anti-Jeff agenda. 

Obviously I hope Kevin stays.  Whatever role he's in, frontman (Prima Donna, which I hope he continues on the side; they're too good not to), sidekick (Longshot), or more of a background role (so far in GD), he's done and has done admirably.  And he's shown appreciation to fans, band members, and for the opportunities he's been given.

4 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

You GDCers wouldn't give a shit about some random GD backup guitarist if it wasn't part of your anti-Jeff agenda. 

This largely isn't true.  For me, I like Kevin.  Simple as that.  Mike Pelino was mentioned before.  If it were between Mike and Jeff, I wouldn't care what the result was.  Sure, there are a lot of people who would like to see Jeff gone (and with legitimate reasons), but I think the reason there is so much talk about it is also because Kevin is well liked by many.  If it was some random person taking over, there wouldn't be nearly as many posts about it.

1 hour ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

Mike Pelino had the same role but I remember him coming out for Give Me Novacaine and he had a presence. Mind you, he was involved in the East Bay punk scene he was definitely more fitting in the role than Jeff. Not to mention, he knew Billie Joe for years as Billie dated his sister when they were teenagers. 

Billie also taught Mike Pelino how to play guitar when he was a kid! His band, the Enemies, recorded with Billie Joe, they were on Adeline records, and played shows with the Frustrators. 

20 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

:lol: Wrong, fangirls give a shit about him for other reasons ;). Many people in the GD fandom have been fan of Kevin in FBHT and as frontman of Prima Donna for over a decade and he has great chemistry with Billie on stage. If it was just some randomer people wouldn't bother praising him so highly, if someone wants to express that they're happy not to see Jeff around they could easily do so without heaping praise on the new guy. It would hardly bother me one way or the other if Jeff or another unknown guitarist was there doing backing but Kevin being there?? Awesome news.

34 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

I do care without being a part of an anti-jeff agenda. I don't give a fuck about Jeff's personal life or what he did to be honest. It doesn't mean what I think he did was right it just means it plays no part in my decision for who i'd prefer. 

Kevin's played a bigger part of their live sound so far than Jeff. Even without Jeff's vocals there's been nothing lost vocally and they've been able to put forth a better live sound so far in this era. 

On 10/21/2019 at 8:07 PM, Montclare said:

For me, I like Kevin.  Simple as that.  

For me, I don't especially like Kevin nor Jeff but the way Kevin was generally judged seemed unfair, and their was an inverse correlation between his "going down" and Kevin "taking over" in the opinion, which I don't find right as such. That being said independently from the two characters as such.

On 10/21/2019 at 8:35 PM, SnaggletoothRecords said:

I do care without being a part of an anti-jeff agenda. I don't give a fuck about Jeff's personal life or what he did to be honest. It doesn't mean what I think he did was right it just means it plays no part in my decision for who i'd prefer. 

Kevin's played a bigger part of their live sound so far than Jeff. Even without Jeff's vocals there's been nothing lost vocally and they've been able to put forth a better live sound so far in this era. 

Happily we don't have to be part of an agenda and can just express our own opinions. :P I would've liked to have a direct exchange with both of them to be able to get a glimpse of how they are personally. My opinion of them on the professional field is not even affected by the only small and indirect glimpse I had, only of Kevin for the matter (rather negative, if it has to be negative or positive, and I also felt that he was sensible to someone, a fan, for once, being totally indifferent to him, at least it's the impression I had, and that it may have played a part in it. this not to excuse him but I'm quite sensitive to the way people feel next to me and if anything I can put myself in his place and understand). For the people saying Kevin seems like a great guy, they are certainly sincere and it's good that he's appeared like that. Jeff may also be a great guy despite the mistakes he makes from time to time, like Kevin and like any other person.

The thing for me is that it doesn't matter who plays this touring guitarist role, they are both competent (perhaps not Kevin for the live backing vocals, but for the guitar part they are, each bringing something different hinging on their respective personas on stage), loads of people would theoretically be competent, and the personal contribution of one and of the other beyond that competence that's there anyways is just a matter of personal preference from the fans. For me, people supporting Kevin and wanting Jeff to go down have been, as a whole, giving way too much importance to this, as if Jeff had to go for some reason, and I didn't find that decent. Precisely because it doesn't matter, the opposition denigrating towards Jeff because, on one hand, of what happened with his girlfriend (I say it again, I thought it was using social justice matter to turn it into another form of injustice and alteration of the truth, acting as if we could judge while in fact we can't, and even more, we shouldn't judge something that is in a flagrant way a human, emotional mistake, like anyone would do and does on social media), and , on the other hand, Kevin's popularity in the widespread opinion, which shouldn't have to be opposed to each other. It seems to me (not in people's intention, I can't tell that, but in the atmosphere I feel deriving from it) like a big group designating an outcast and better use a chosen favorite's renown to cast him out. 

In the end, whether one is better fitting for the band is a matter of opinion, is not crucial as such, and personal judgments shouldn't be spelled so easily (and wrongfully, because of our position as fans which doesn't allow us to judge them as persons) especially not for the purpose of this opposition between the two of them.

Archived