Father Of All... (Song)

Hermione

3 minutes ago, J a c said:

And on top of that, it’s a more well known song, but I don’t really think it’s a fan or casual fan favorite. I don’t think there would be a lot of desperate people in the crowd wondering “oh my god where is KYE”. It’s one of those easily replaceable songs, I really think they should toss it in favor of American Idiot as a set opener, and use something else from 21CB. Geez, how great would it be to have back the static age, Freese was so freaking amazing playing that song live. 

Yeah the sax solo was so cool! They totally should let him do more. I'd dig if they brought back one of the piano songs too. 

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

on spotify, father of all motherfuckers has around 2.300.000 streams

thats really close to the song-streams of DOS 😦😅

Maybe they plan on a release of something every week. First week it was the song/show/Kimmel, second week it’s Hella Mega sales/iHeart, so maybe next week we’ll get the video.  After that it should be getting regular airplay on radio. 

I wonder if they’ll head to NY after that for Colbert or other promotion or if they’re spreading the promo out to cover possible other singles and the eventual album release.

39 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Maybe they plan on a release of something every week. First week it was the song/show/Kimmel, second week it’s Hella Mega sales/iHeart, so maybe next week we’ll get the video.  After that it should be getting regular airplay on radio. 

I wonder if they’ll head to NY after that for Colbert or other promotion or if they’re spreading the promo out to cover possible other singles and the eventual album release.

That’s what I think as well. They shot the video almost a month ago, so now it’s just a matter of when it makes more sense to release it from a promotional perspective. Unless the protagonist of the video is a very complex CGI unicorn :P 

Maybe the video wasn't ready on time? And like if it was just them they could've postponed things but because it's tied to the other bands' songs and the tour etc they just have to release it later. Seems a weird that they didn't release the video with the song, probably would've had more impact.

5 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Maybe the video wasn't ready on time? And like if it was just them they could've postponed things but because it's tied to the other bands' songs and the tour etc they just have to release it later. Seems a weird that they didn't release the video with the song, probably would've had more impact.

That's a possibility, but I think it would be a bit odd. I imagine they knew about the song release date for months, so that would be really bad planning. It doesn't take that long to put together a music video, unless there's something huge going on in post production.
Also considering that this album has a different release schedule, I think it would make sense to spread the promotion in more weeks. The song is doing well so far, I think also because of all the shadow promotion that is going on , so "feeding" the promotion with different stuff every week can work well in keeping the song relevant for a longer period. On the first week we also had the Jimmy Kimmel live, that on its own has almost the same views of the new Weezer music video. This week there's iHearth (with plausibly a new live video going around) and the Hella Mega tour tickets going on sale. Music video + new tv appearance next week would fit the picture :D  

17 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

So many good songs on breakdown and they keep...KYE. it's fun live, but there's better stuff on that album.

I agree I kinda hate KYE and I have no idea why they love it so much

3 hours ago, jengd said:

They need to get that music video released, I see 1,360,000 on YouTube, momentum is slowing.

Maybe everyone switched over to watching the live performance of it since it's superior.  I haven't played the original since Kimmel and Whisky.

Just now, Montclare said:

Maybe everyone switched over to watching the live performance of it since it's superior.  I haven't played the original since Kimmel and Whisky.

Yeah since its release I opened the YT audio only the check the views once in a while, but I watched the Kimmel live I don't know how many times :D If I have to only listen to the song I do it from my music library, while with Bang Bang I was constantly watching that awesome lyric video. Which is most probably what I will do when the music video is out :P  

2 minutes ago, Montclare said:

I actually feel bad I haven’t been streaming the song on Spotify at all, because every time I want to hear it I watch that beautiful Kimmel video. Does that count the same for them or do they get nothing from that?  I agree releasing a video the same week as that TV show would have been too much and unnecessary. Spread it out (I’m still watching Kimmel lol!)

Due to the long wait between single and album, maybe they're stretching everything out, thus the delayed video. 

1 minute ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I actually feel bad I haven’t been streaming the song on Spotify at all, because every time I want to hear it I watch that beautiful Kimmel video. Does that count the same for them or do they get nothing from that?  I agree releasing a video the same week as that TV show would have been too much and unnecessary. Spread it out (I’m still watching Kimmel lol!)

I don't think live performances on YT count in terms of Billboard charts, but still, it's definitely helping the song.  

20 hours ago, The Bellie said:

On the subject of Still Breathing, when I got to ask Billie what meant the "rain and roses" line exactly, and he said "it means I'm not in a grave, my head is not underground yet, it means that I'm still alive." You should've heard the way he said "I'm still alive." Between a kid saying "that toy is mine", shaky and determined at the same time, and someone stating a miracle, but calmly, as if he had fully integrated it.

Writing that, singing that meant some deal to him (there's a purpose to the song being that repetitive in the sentences: still breathing, still alive, my head's above the rain and roses... it all means the same exact thing).

Thanks for sharing that. I always thought that the line you asked about was one of the best in the song and one that I could relate to deeply on a personal level. 

I've been through a lot of things in the course of the last 4 years or so. Getting through it all has made me value different experiences and value certain ones less. 

For me having my head above the rain and roses is not just about surviving everything but also being above all that bullshit and seeing things more clearly. My level of awareness has changed and it's created lots of positive changes in my life but sadly some people aren't there yet and won't be joining me for the ride. 

Which leads to "making my way to you" which I can relate to as putting more effort and spending more time with a significant other who's been through it with you, making your way to your goals and making your way to becoming a stronger and wiser person. 

5 minutes ago, Nightlife said:

GDC when FOA got released:

Hide contents

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Glad you peeps are more positive about it now :wub:

Gosh I'm dying 70.gif 

This song is so mediocre it has 30 pages on a forum that can have 30 pages in an afternoon on a photo of Billie holding a beer. 

17 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

Thanks for sharing that. I always thought that the line you asked about was one of the best in the song and one that I could relate to deeply on a personal level. 

I've been through a lot of things in the course of the last 4 years or so. Getting through it all has made me value different experiences and value certain ones less. 

For me having my head above the rain and roses is not just about surviving everything but also being above all that bullshit and seeing things more clearly. My level of awareness has changed and it's created lots of positive changes in my life but sadly some people aren't there yet and won't be joining me for the ride. 

Which leads to "making my way to you" which I can relate to as putting more effort and spending more time with a significant other who's been through it with you, making your way to your goals and making your way to becoming a stronger and wiser person. 

Hehe, it's my favorite song :wub:. I made an embarrassing dissertation about what it means for me some time ago on here but I'm way too lazy to go fetch it :P

For me too, this song along has saved my life. Pulled me out of deep shit nothing else could, for sure. I passed from a zombie in constant survival mode to someone who likes life and laughs every day, whatever the goods and bads.

About the rain and roses line, for me it also means "i'm above the good and bad" precisely. Like no matter what happens, I can preserve myself. It's like finding other ways to deal with things than autodestruction to the point of death, which I was on the verge of many times. I didn't think that for Billie that line sent directly to a grave. You put roses on a grave and rains falls on it lol. He said it like that :P. Simple mind our Billie (just joking). The way he sang live throughout Rev Rad was magical. It carried me very deep and far away at the same time. When I had only heard it on the album I wasn't in love immediately with it, the live singing was the shit for me

I felt like something was terribly missing in this thread. Then a unicorn appeared and showed me the answer: the classic fucking useless discussion about loudness war and dynamic range 8.gif 

So let's fix this, Bang Bang VS FOAMF: 

zm7DpZy.jpg 

A big improvement I would say, kudos to Butch and Chris Dugan I guess? 19.gif 

Too Dumb to Die and Bouncing Off the Wall are amazing and fun songs. But they sound kinda FBHT-ish, Trilogy-ish, Longshot-ish because they’re Green Day at they best and most fun! But notice how they weren’t played on the RevRad tour? And neither were Trilogy songs? RevRad was the saddest, boringest tour ever. I can’t believe they were saying it was great/favourite/fun tour. I feel like that was a farce. That tour felt heartbreaking to watch.  Like they were all playing parts in a shitty play they wish they never wrote. So mechanical and sad. The fans love the band so much though. I love that. I love the band and fans too. 

I hope Green Day is fun and excited again. I hope this new record brings them back from that boring-looking-giving-up-on-life tour. 

Argue what you want on that but it was boring. The set lists were constantly the same. Basically only the hits. And the funnest songs on RevRad were never played live. It was sad. 

I think we are in for a real treat with this new album and tour. Can’t wait. I hope they know it’s ok to have fun again. 

2 minutes ago, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

Too Dumb to Die and Bouncing Off the Wall are amazing and fun songs. But they sound kinda FBHT-ish, Trilogy-ish, Longshot-ish because they’re Green Day at they best and most fun! But notice how they weren’t played on the RevRad tour? And neither were Trilogy songs? RevRad was the saddest, boringest tour ever. I can’t believe they were saying it was great/favourite/fun tour. I feel like that was a farce. That tour felt heartbreaking to watch.  Like they were all playing parts in a shitty play they wish they never wrote. So mechanical and sad. The fans love the band so much though. I love that. I love the band and fans too. 

I hope Green Day is fun and excited again. I hope this new record brings them back from that boring-looking-giving-up-on-life tour. 

Argue what you want on that but it was boring. The set lists were constantly the same. Basically only the hits. And the funnest songs on RevRad were never played live. It was sad. 

I think we are in for a real treat with this new album and tour. Can’t wait. I hope they know it’s ok to have fun again. 

I’m okay with fun just as long as they don’t fun themselves into an early grave.  😕

7 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I’m okay with fun just as long as they don’t fun themselves into an early grave.  😕

I think it was just an extreme swing from the Trilogy era being too much in the wrong way and then RevRad being so the opposite. It was like death by fun versus death by protective bubble wrap.

I’m very much hoping for a lot of fun, a happy heart and we won’t get into... the stuff we won’t get into.... the personal stuff...

But just from an artist / writing perspective I hope the band is happier and inspired and adventurous on this tour ❤️

Yeeeaaahh, this is my response to everyone that says Green Day look completely bored this tour.

Archived