The Story of GreenDay.Com

Mega Man

47 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

To thicken the plot, there's an interview where Mike says their next album will be a rock opera and I the main character's name will be Jimmy. It's from 1994.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Maybe it's just the awful video quality, but Billie looks like a fucked up meth head clown in that thumbnail. It's honestly kind of scary to look at.

On 7/3/2019 at 3:48 PM, Montclare said:

Wasn't it greenday.net at first?  I know that Jason runs the Green Day reddit sub.  Cool post of stuff he has from the old days.

Originally GreenDay.com/.net/.org were all just the same site. Jason Miller ran the site along with a couple of other people including Andrew Clute. When the site went official, Andrew held on to .net and .org and asked me to move my Geocities hosted site there, you can read the history of that here.

On 7/4/2019 at 12:55 PM, Mega Man said:

Again, Adam gave Warner free reign to the .com site, so the transition to .net seemed to be more amicable the way he explained it. But that's only one webmaster's side of the story, maybe Jason wasn't onboard with the idea to begin with.

Sure seems like none of them were on board with it or had any idea of what Jason Miller was doing with .com - if you read this notice from .net prior to my site moving there. Once the others were booted and it was just Jason and the site was official it was often down because the bill was not paid. Here are some quotes from Jason from the time shortly before it became a Reprise run site:

Q- DO YOU GET PAID TO RUN WWW.GREENDAY.COM?
Not yet. Technically I'm supposed to be, however Green Day's management is a pain in the ass and have not submitted any payment whatsoever for the site, not even the payment to the ISP to keep the site up. That is why it is down.

Q- WHEN WILL THE SITE BE BACK UP?
As soon as I find $1,000 from Green Day sitting in my P.O. Box. Then I can pay the bill :)

On 7/4/2019 at 1:01 AM, Doggins said:

I'm just going by memory here

but didn't Jason startup greenday.net after greenday.com was taken by Warner/Reprise?
From memory Jason was not that happy about the change but greenday.net ended up becoming much better than the .com site and Green Day themselves even contributed info to Jason to share on greenday.net so it was actually more up to date than the official.

P.P.P.S I met my wife on the old greenday.net chat room. Jason if you ever read this - if it weren't for you my life would not be the same and my kids wouldn't be here today

Jason Miller was .com, I'm a different Jason and ran .net. That's amazing that you found your wife in the old chat room, so glad to have contributed to that in some small way!

Archived