Insomniac era footage directed by Lance Bangs

dallasthemenace

i searched and couldnt find anything here on GDC regarding it, so apologies if this has long been covered and/or is only news to me... if it has, lock the thread, delete it, and shame me as necessary 😎

i was on wiki for something unrelated and ended up on director Lance Bangs' page. most everyone here is likely most familiar with Lance's camera work on the Jackass franchise, though a few diehards here might also know Lance as the director for the 'Last Ride In' video and/or Fred Armisen's Stand Up For Drummers netflix special... but a quick glance at a couple of his credits made me ridiculously curious...

First and foremost, Lance seems to have been the director of something called 'Green Day: European Tour Fiasco', dated to 1996. ive never heard of this, has anyone else? i'd LOVE to see this, whatever it is.

and i know this is unrelated, but kinda cool as well, back in 1990, Lance directed a film entitled, 'Jesus Of Suburbia'.

JOS in 1990? Could Billie have nicked the title? 🤔

I’d love to see that Insomniac tour footage too assuming that’s what it is. Is the director on social media, can you ask him about it?

5 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

JOS in 1990? Could Billie have nicked the title? 🤔

I’d love to see that Insomniac tour footage too assuming that’s what it is. Is the director on social media, can you ask him about it?

Was this not in the Heart Like A Hand Grenade movie?  There was a guy there who had made a film called JOS and then saw it pop up, he said he was a little pissed but spoke with Billie and it was all good.  It must be the same guy/story.

3 minutes ago, jengd said:

Was this not in the Heart Like A Hand Grenade movie?  There was a guy there who had made a film called JOS and then saw it pop up, he said he was a little pissed but spoke with Billie and it was all good.  It must be the same guy/story.

I don’t remember that from the movie are you sure that’s where you saw that?

Haven't been able to find anything about JoS or the Insomniac tour stuff via Google.

3 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I don’t remember that from the movie are you sure that’s where you saw that?

Can’t remember as not watched it in ages but am sure I either read or saw something about this.  The guy had connections with GD going way back, was a movie makes and had then kind of lost touch.  Years later, GD pop up with AI and JOS and he was pretty surprised.  I think the name was the only similarity.  He spoke to Billie who knew it had come from somewhere but couldn’t think where, they were both cool about it,  does this ring any bells for anyone else?  I associate it with the guy Billheimer talking about the album cover but just be tenuous or general association.  Can’t think where else I would have seen/heard it.

ha, got it.  It was the Gillian Gaar book, Rebels with a cause 

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=bbkSCgAAQBAJ&pg=PT232&lpg=PT232&dq=lance+bangs+jesus+of+suburbia&source=bl&ots=204RSyHEvA&sig=ACfU3U3TIRwUTeZ_de7F4-YFBoU0tv49BQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwio_eGA2fviAhV0QkEAHWlgCTcQ6AEwFHoECAoQAQ

Green day European tour fiasco must be about how they canceled all the European insomniac tour dates right? Due to exhaustion. They where touring since 1990 non stop and Billie just had Jacob (or Joey) 

On 6/22/2019 at 12:19 AM, petros said:

Green day European tour fiasco must be a out how they canceled all the European insomniac tour dates right? Due to exhaustion. They where touring since 1990 non stop and Billie just had Jacob (or Joey) 

Yeah that's right. They were supposed to be touring the uk with MTX, but cancelled due to exhaustion. 

2 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

@Todd would you be brave enough to DM him and ask if this footage exists?

Yeah, worth a shot

If I remember correctly in the documentary ''Broadway Idiot '', the Brain Stew video of Prague 1996 was by Lance Bangs.

I also think there are shots of that in the documentary ''VH1 Ultimate Albums: Dookie''. Some are unpublished and others are shots of the video clip ''Last Ride In''.

Edit: Yes, i was right!!!!

B34c8jI.png

That Brain Stew footage is awesome . Looks like a proper movie. 

Has he commented publicly on this or has anybody asked about it on Twitter 

Actually, that 1996 footage from Broadway Idiot docu is my fave thing off Broadway Idiot docu, haha... I don't know it Lance may help, but I'd like us to have some clips of Green Day doing stuff in their studio while recording Insomniac. Wasn't that MTV interview record there? That one with papers on the wall with song titles and things... A dream.

Archived