American Idiot Demos and Never Before Heard B-sides

Alf

36 minutes ago, Insomniac1984 said:

Where is When its time, by the way?

I guess it wasn’t ever intended as a b-side.  Rob in the doc said they should hold it to see if it would fit on the album, when it didn’t and then didn’t make 21CB either they gave it to the AI musical. 

I always though that "I Fought the law" was recorded in AI Sessions... I'm surprised that is not in the list as a B-side

Ted Jensen is a mastering engineer, so that means these tracks were mastered and ready to be released when needed. The most likely scenario is that they were ready to go as b-sides and whatever else the band might contribute to, such as compilations and movie soundtracks (which is how most of these songs WERE released). I remember back then Green Day was supposed to have a couple of songs on the "Live Freaky Die Freaky" (or whatever it was called) soundtrack and it didn't happen for whatever reason. Maybe they could have been some of these that haven't come out yet. Clearly the band decided to hold on to some of these instead and either save them for future release or "recycle" them for new material. I remember years ago I told everyone here on this board that I could tell Lights Out and Hearts Collide was from the AI era and not 21CBD. Since that master disc has a date of 7-21-04 it looks like a was right. 😉

17Gonzalo; that's probably because "I Fought The Law" was already out at this time. The disc has a date of 7-21-04 and IFTL came out a few months earlier on 2-1-04.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

doesn't Michael Mayer have very early 21CB recordings which he used to flush out the story of American idiot which is why some of those songs are in the musical ... there were probably a few other (at the time) unreleased demos such as when its time.. maybe not I don't know....

also when green day "took over" serious/xm station faction around the time uno was released billie said he wrote and recorded almost all of the trilogy solo and possibly acoustic, then shared those demos with the rest of the band and they flushed them out together, some major changes were made and a lot of stuff left out or reworked... I assume they were low quality like a personal/memo recorder... this is not demolicious as those as full band demos... I don't know if they talked about that in quarto as I never saw it.

Edit: oops I meant to post this in a different topic about demos more generally, sorry its here now.

Edited by oop.yarrz
added a note

47 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

My guess is that the acoustic Stay The Night comes from these solo demo sessions.

I wish all of demolicious had been solo acoustic versions 

• Like 4

Got so excited seeing this thread bumped. I wish Roecker wasn't legally obligated to keep those CDs to himself.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I wish all of demolicious had been solo acoustic versions 

Same. They don't do enough acoustic stuff

• Like 2

I doubt we will ever see these songs see the light but damn I wish we could listen those songs.

About Demolicious, acoustic Stay the Night is probably the worst thing Green Day has ever released (since it's recorded with phone likely) so I don't understand why people would want more of those. Sure if properly recorded, but god it's so bad it's not even good. About Nightlife, god I wish only vocals existed. I love that song.

1 hour ago, MiksuSH said:

About Demolicious, acoustic Stay the Night is probably the worst thing Green Day has ever released (since it's recorded with phone likely) so I don't understand why people would want more of those. Sure if properly recorded, but god it's so bad it's not even good. 

Tell that to a fangirl listening with headphones on in the middle of the night ❤️❤️❤️

And as far as the quality of it, that isn’t the point of demos. I’m a history buff and I love a glimpse into the process and the making of great music. I could watch hours of raw studio footage and I love raw early demos.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MiksuSH said:

About Demolicious, acoustic Stay the Night is probably the worst thing Green Day has ever released (since it's recorded with phone likely) so I don't understand why people would want more of those. Sure if properly recorded, but god it's so bad it's not even good. About Nightlife, god I wish only vocals existed. I love that song.

Because it's a raw moment and the actual emotion can be felt.

• Like 3

On 3/17/2019 at 12:14 PM, Insomniac1984 said:

Where is When its time, by the way?

I’ve always been under the impression that When It’s Time was recorded in 2010 for the musical cast album. Wikipedia says it was recorded in 2004, but with no source. Sure, the acoustic version in HLAHG was recorded in 2004, but I’ve never seen any proof for the album version. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DadBod said:

Because it's a raw moment and the actual emotion can be felt.

I definitely hear more emotion in Lazy Bones or any scream Billie Joe makes during Trilogy. Poor quality is not a good excuse for emotion; it's simply not good in my opinion. Glad some others like it, I just don't understand it myself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MiksuSH said:

I definitely hear more emotion in Lazy Bones or any scream Billie Joe makes during Trilogy. Poor quality is not a good excuse for emotion; it's simply not good in my opinion. Glad some others like it, I just don't understand it myself.

cool thanks for sharing

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, MiksuSH said:

That’s why music is subjective. What I find to evoke emotion isn’t what you find. Don’t talk down on others who find things beautiful that you don’t. 

• Like 3

I’d give a kidney to hear the raw demo of Lazy Bones. Talk about some heavy emotions. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I understand that Billie has a good reason not to want to play Lazy Bones, but it's still a little sad because it's a great song that deserves to be played.

• Like 3

Just now, Beerjeezus said:

I understand that Billie has a good reason not to want to play Lazy Bones, but it's still a little sad because it's a great song that deserves to be played.

I think it’s my favorite song from the Trilogy, hands down. I’ve always interpreted it as Basket Case’s spiritual sequel.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, W_FInkThePlatypusHunter said:

I think it’s my favorite song from the Trilogy, hands down. I’ve always interpreted it as Basket Case’s spiritual sequel.

Same, it's the best. No competition. It has that "my mind is playing tricks on me" line as a throwback to Basket Case, but it's a lot darker. It almost seems like dark humor to quote a song that had a similar theme but was sarcastic about it.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

So there is no demo recordings from the American Idiot sessions. Except possibly what this guy teased?

7 hours ago, iTokerBoySwag said:

So there is no demo recordings from the American Idiot sessions. Except possibly what this guy teased?

BIAB has a clip of a St Jimmy demo where he says “stray gun on parade” instead of “zip gun”

These titles are already b-sides we know and others are songs from GD albums and the Tubs. I don't trust this guy, anyway.