Jason White vs Kevin Preston? Who do you Prefer?

1039Revolutions

Since I've started following The Longshot and their live shows, I've noticed that Kevin Preston is an absolute BEAST! His licks are near perfect all the time, and he seems to understand exactly what kind of sound style Billie was shooting for with this project, and the trilogy. 

I have a ton of respect and love for Jason (and he was a super cool guy when I met him in person), but I'd have to say I prefer Kevin. Jason seems to be a little uptight on stage, and far too focussed on not making mistakes, rather than get into the moment of the songs the way Billie and Kevin do! 

Would love to hear what people think! And how would Kevin fit with Green Day?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I prefer Kevin as a guitarist, but I'd rather have Jason as part of Green Day.

28 minutes ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

I prefer Kevin as a guitarist, but I'd rather have Jason as part of Green Day.

This. Kevin is great but he would compete for attention in Green Day and you can only have one frontman. Jason is the perfect supporting guitarist, he does his job but doesn’t steal the spotlight. For this kind of project though, it’s fun having two guitar players ripping it up onstage together and playing off each other. For Green Day, I like the similar dynamic that Billie already has with Mike, I wouldn’t want to add another center stage musician into the mix.

What I want to know is, how the heck does Kevin do those windmills and not give himself a rotator cuff injury? 

2 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

This. Kevin is great but he would compete for attention in Green Day and you can only have one frontman. Jason is the perfect supporting guitarist, he does his job but doesn’t steal the spotlight. For this kind of project though, it’s fun having two guitar players ripping it up onstage together and playing off each other. For Green Day, I like the similar dynamic that Billie already has with Mike, I wouldn’t want to add another center stage musician into the mix.

What I want to know is, how the heck does Kevin do those windmills and not give himself a rotator cuff injury? 

Interesting that you say that, I feel exactly opposite - I wouldn't mind if Jason let loose a bit more. He's fine the way he is, but it would be fun for me if he'd play more freely 

10 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Exactly.  Although in my ideal world, Kevin would replace Jeff as a Green Day touring member.  He would have to tone it down way too much to be a third guitarist though, and I don't think it'd be fair to him.  Although he wasn't as flashy/center of attention in the FBHTs as he is with the Longshot.

Kevin of course! I love Jason but you know...to me Kevin it's like a friend...i saw him and Prima Donna more then any other bands...and NO he'd NEVER compete for attention in Green Day..i'am abso.fucking-lutely sure about this...

3 minutes ago, WorryRock02 said:

Kevin of course! I love Jason but you know...to me Kevin it's like a friend...i saw him and Prima Donna more then any other bands...and NO he'd NEVER compete for attention in Green Day..i'am abso.fucking-lutely sure about this...

He couldn’t help it though, he’s cute center stage material 🙂

JW is a cleaner, tighter player. Compare his rendition of Ziggy Stardust in the Coverups compared to Kevin’s. It’s night and day. The only thing that Kevin has on JW is stage presence. 

I prefer JW over Kevin on guitar for that reason. 

I feel like Jason's an integral part of Green Day at this point, so I wouldn't replace him. Also just let him back as the official fourth member ffs. Kevin has really blown me away with the Longshot though.

8 minutes ago, Clockwise said:

I feel like Jason's an integral part of Green Day at this point, so I wouldn't replace him. Also just let him back as the official fourth member ffs. Kevin has really blown me away with the Longshot though.

I don’t want Jason as a fourth member again. I like him but it’s the core trio that are Green Day.

2 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

You should ask that to Townsend since he invented it.

3 minutes ago, LaughingClock said:

Pete would spin around once or twice but Kevin can go like 10-20 times in a row and fast I never saw Townsend do it like that.

I wouldn't mind him becoming an official member along with Jason White.  But do I want that to happen.   Eeeeeehhhhhh.  

I'd rather The Big Three join than Kevin.  Jason, Jason, Jeff.  

As obsessed as I am with Green Day, the guys in The Longshot don't really interest me that much.  Might have something to do with them simply being a backing band.  Don't get me wrong, it seems as if they are killing it live, but do we really need them to join Green Day?   Being in multiple bands is obviously not an issue.  With years between releases it's not that hard.   But when I think of Kevin Preston.....I draw a blank.   

Big Three all the way.  We know Jason can craft darn good tunes, maybe Freeze and Jeff can too.  That would be a definite way to expand Green Days sound!  Six guys, and all of them given at least one song to shine!    No wait - each guy writes two songs, BOOM - Album 13 is done!  

Wow. there’s a lot more love for Kevin in here than I expected. And on that note, Jason > Kevin :lol: 

5 minutes ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

I'd rather The Big Three join than Kevin.  Jason, Jason, Jeff.  

The Big Three are Jason, Jason and Ronnie, thank you very much ;) 

JW all the way. He's a brilliant player and isn't there to have the limelight. He knows his role and plays it perfectly.

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Pete would spin around once or twice but Kevin can go like 10-20 times in a row and fast I never saw Townsend do it like that.

Because Kevin is better than Townsend. Hahaha

2 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I don’t want Jason as a fourth member again. I like him but it’s the core trio that are Green Day.

I agree. They are the three stooges haha and I think that's probably why partly  he did not want to be an official member along with having cancer.

I prefer Jason White, Kevin Preston is a bit dodgy imo

7 hours ago, Spike said:

The Big Three are Jason, Jason and Ronnie, thank you very much ;) 

JW all the way. He's a brilliant player and isn't there to have the limelight. He knows his role and plays it perfectly.

I'm pretty sure they came up with the name after Jeff joined and Ronnie left :P At least this is how Aaron describes it in his book 

This is such an unexpected question :lol: 

I love both of them, always had a soft spot for Jason's chilled subtle style. I enjoy watching him play (and catching his eye and waving at him when hardly anyone else is watching, and seeing him occasionally doing funny little things haha) so much I've opted to be on his side instead of Mike's before (although I love Mike too :P). 

Kevin is awesome, I was in front of him at FBHT and he was great, and then got to meet him at a Prima Donna show a few months later and he was absolutely lovely and put on such a fun show for the 6 of us who were there for PD and didn't just stand around at the back waiting for the main band :lol:

Two totally different performance styles but both so great I can't choose. The fact they're both members of FBHT is one reason why it's the best band.

Oh also fun fact, Kevin auditioned to be a touring member of Green Day but he couldn't sing high enough notes for what they needed so they went with Jeff Matika instead.

Jason all the way! I love his shy attitude, it's just adorable! Kevin... I don't know, I didn't have the opportunity to see FBHT or The Longshot live, so I don't have opinion about him honestly. 

8 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Oh also fun fact, Kevin auditioned to be a touring member of Green Day but he couldn't hit high enough notes for what they wanted so they went with Jeff Matika instead.

Jeff is our talented beast :wub:

30 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Oh also fun fact, Kevin auditioned to be a touring member of Green Day but he couldn't sing high enough notes for what they needed so they went with Jeff Matika instead.

That's so interesting, I had no idea. 

I really enjoyed seeing Prima Donna when they supported Green Day and would love to see the Longshot with the guys in it (or FBHT :D), but I wouldn't change Jason for anyone else, I like his style and personality and enjoy watching him play, a Green Day show without him would be strange to me.

Jason is the perfect backing guitarist. He's so in sync with Billie at this point and I think his subtle style is perfect for his part. Kevin would end up seeming like much more of a fourth member if he was in Green Day.

12 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

I think I read somewhere that it was actually Keith Richards who invented the windmill move. A while ago I read an interview with Pete where he said that Keith always did that move as a warm-up, never on stage, and Pete thought, hey that's cool, I think I'll do that on stage. (Edit: Found the link http://ultimateclassicrock.com/pete-townshend-windmill-keith-richards/). I absolutely love it when Kevin does it at the Longshot shows. But nah, I wouldn't want him to replace Jason. Gotta love Jason:wub:

11 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

Because Kevin is better than Townsend. Hahaha

:dry:

Archived