Linda Perry on feeling disrespected by Green Day during 21CB recording

Give_Me_Novacaine90

4 minutes ago, LaughingClock said:

Someone please tell me how to ignore before I see another post and vomit!

Yes she’s produced a lot of songs. It’s not really the point I was making. 

She was never in contention to REALLY procuce TCB. Plain and simple. She might have thought otherwise but that’s the extent. 

Cool? Great.

I get that 👍

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LaughingClock said:

Tim and I got our little thing taken care of. 

Misunderstanding. We cool. :)

Tim and I have had the "pleasure" of quarrelling on these boards before- to the extent where I proudly received my one and only warning to date. But he's cool- I respect his strong opinions and honestly he likely thinks I'm argumentative myself. I'm sure we'd get along great if we were having a beer at a gig together.

I agree with everything you've said on this topic, not surprisingly. From my experience, the GD guys aren't misogynistic at all- and it's a limited set of experience for sure but I'm just drawing on my own observations here. The fact pattern adds up to there being some bitter/ self-promoting revisionist history behind this story. Sure, I wasn't there in the studio, but based on everything I've seen, heard, and also deduced from experience in situations like this- I'm strongly leaning to the conclusion that no one in GD did anything wrong, in fact they're nearly certainly being falsely shamed for the perceived or hoped benefit of the accuser. Which is also annoying but I won't spend any time on this dynamic because it doesn't deserve any. But I did want to add my two cents in defense of GD based on my observational history since I think it's important factual context.

11 minutes ago, TimmyChunks said:

Tim and I have had the "pleasure" of quarrelling on these boards before- to the extent where I proudly received my one and only warning to date. But he's cool- I respect his strong opinions and honestly he likely thinks I'm argumentative myself. I'm sure we'd get along great if we were having a beer at a gig together.

I agree with everything you've said on this topic, not surprisingly. From my experience, the GD guys aren't misogynistic at all- and it's a limited set of experience for sure but I'm just drawing on my own observations here. The fact pattern adds up to there being some bitter/ self-promoting revisionist history behind this story. Sure, I wasn't there in the studio, but based on everything I've seen, heard, and also deduced from experience in situations like this- I'm strongly leaning to the conclusion that no one in GD did anything wrong, in fact they're nearly certainly being falsely shamed for the perceived or hoped benefit of the accuser. Which is also annoying but I won't spend any time on this dynamic because it doesn't deserve any. But I did want to add my two cents in defense of GD based on my observational history since I think it's important factual context.

That might have been the most elequantly and factual stated paragraph I’ve ever read. Lol.  Not even being hyperbolic. Bravo and right on the nail.

As for Tim, he’s been nothing but cool to me for the years I’ve known him here and we’re cool and the gang. 

Thanks for chiming in with some good info though!

16 minutes ago, TimmyChunks said:

We got into it? Damn sorry if I was an ass yeah I do get heated during arguments i try to not get so nowadays but I do slip up from time to time 

if I ever go back to LA while I don’t drink I’ll buy you and @LaughingClock a round 

Billie's lyrics regarding women are some of the most respectful I've ever heard in music as a whole. The band has always shown passion for issues of equality. This sounds like an issue of either miscommunication between two parties or revisionist bitterness on the part of the lady being interviewed. At worst, Green Day displayed a rude lack of communication, but here is no evidence that gender was a motivating factor.

3 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

We got into it? Damn sorry if I was an ass yeah I do get heated during arguments i try to not get so nowadays but I do slip up from time to time 

if I ever go back to LA while I don’t drink I’ll buy you and @LaughingClock a round 

No doubt!

1 hour ago, DookieLukie said:

Billie's lyrics regarding women are some of the most respectful I've ever heard in music as a whole. The band has always shown passion for issues of equality. This sounds like an issue of either miscommunication between two parties or revisionist bitterness on the part of the lady being interviewed. At worst, Green Day displayed a rude lack of communication, but here is no evidence that gender was a motivating factor.

Now that is a level fucking head for your face!

“If I was Rick Rubin or anyone else they wouldn’t have done that.”

Oh fuck you

I don't think it's a male/woman problem. It's just not right. Humans make mistakes, anyway. Sorry for Linda.

14 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

Sorry but just because YOU don’t agree doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen it’s just like those who tell a joke and don’t realize it’s a racist joke 

I don’t think anyone here is really saying Billie or the band are sexist people 

This, sadly, is very true.

15 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Sorry but unless there's actual evidence to show sexism, then it's just assumptions. This is exactly one of the reasons why modern day feminists are hated and made fun of so much. These "feminists" assume that if something bad happens to them, it's because they're a woman.

This is a generalization...

14 hours ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

For what it's worth, I'm a woman and a feminist and I don't think this was necessarily something that happened because of her gender.

Honestly, to assume so based on this quick Q&A kind of negates the efforts of feminism anyway, because then we aren't taken as seriously in situations that are without a doubt due to sexism. As @Fuzz said, people can be assholes without being sexist. And women can also wrongly assume that something happened because of their gender even though it wasn't because of that at all. Nothing is black and white. Even the person being interviewed said they didn't even think of it as a "girl/guy" thing.

Though I do think it was in bad taste for the reporter to not reach out to the band for a comment, either, after bashing them for several paragraphs.

I love this reply so much thank you

Now, I know very little about music production, but I’m just guessing GD got sidetracked by other producers, and then did a sucky thing and ghosted Linda Perry. And that’s unprofessional. But I doubt it is consciously or unconsciously sexist. And Linda Perry seems like a big name in the music world, and they ghosted her, so idk if they would’ve done the same thing to Rick Rubin… but I think they would’ve. Maybe they’d have called him, maybe not. Even if she was the frontrunner, they weren’t obligated to hire her.

But I feel like this is a jerk thing, not a 'you’re a girl' thing. Linda Perry seems to think so, too.

And, to be honest, even if I don't think it's Billie Joe's case, I'm totally convinced, still, in 2018, that if a man has to do something bad to a man, to do it to a woman, it's easier, in his mind.

1 hour ago, disappearingfs said:

And, to be honest, even if I don't think it's Billie Joe's case, I'm totally convinced, still, in 2018, that if a man has to do something bad to a man, to do it to a woman, it's easier, in his mind.

I also think in general that if it were a man that got ghosted he would have just forgotten about it moved on, not taken it personally and still complain about it ten years later. 😉 sorry if that seems sexist, but we do laugh about some male/female differences that often seem true, it’s okay.

I don't think being bitter and bitching about stuff years later is exclusive to women by any means, might be a stereotype that it is but lets be real plenty of men in the celebrity world (and elsewhere) are just as bad :lol: 

5 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I also think in general that if it were a man that got ghosted he would have just forgotten about it moved on, not taken it personally and still complain about it ten years later. 😉 sorry if that seems sexist, but we do laugh about some male/female differences that often seem true, it’s okay.

You're not being sexist, this way. You're admiting that women are deeper than men. Oh, I'm being sexist, now, haha! :P

3 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I don't think being bitter and bitching about stuff years later is exclusive to women by any means, might be a stereotype that it is but lets be real plenty of men in the celebrity world (and elsewhere) are just as bad :lol: 

You're being sexist and pro-men, here...

19 minutes ago, Hermione said:

They are certainly generalizations but the kind of stuff comedians have gotten rich on for years.  :lol:

1 hour ago, disappearingfs said:

You're being sexist and pro-men, here...

Huh? I'm saying women and men can be bitter and bitch about things later.

2 hours ago, Hermione said:

Huh? I'm saying women and men can be bitter and bitch about things later.

I was being sarcastic, babe :P

I'm further out on the circle than few of you on here but based on other situations I've heard/experienced with the guys, this sounds like it's at worst just them or their management being unprofessional/messing up. I say this as a liberal feminist woman who's well aware of both blatant misogyny and internalized misogyny (this exists, deal with it) and that even a guy like Billie, who really seems to practice what he preaches, could make mistakes in that realm.

As I think someone mentioned, typically management would handle telling producers if the artist isn't going to work with them, as well as, be involved in communicating with whoever they chose to some degree. I was actually part of a similar scenario with them, when they were still with Pat, where Pat communicated one thing to a colleague of mine, very much implying that the band was on board, and then the rug was totally pulled out from under us at the last minute. The reason wasn't 100% made clear but it sounded like bad communication between GD and Pat because they were clearly on two different wavelengths. In Pat's and Linda's defense though, it's possible that Billie's the kind of person who sounds like he's 100% committed to something when maybe in his mind it isn't quite a done deal. Wouldn't be the first artist I've seen change their mind after leading management to believe their decision was made. If Linda got as far as setting up, it would fit with that idea because Pat might've thought they were going with her and been the one to communicate that it was a done deal only to have the band contradict that. Either way, Pat would've at some point been told "we're going with Butch Vig" and he should have make sure anyone else being considered was informed.

20 minutes ago, disappearingfs said:

I was being sarcastic, babe :P

Oh ok :lol: 

Interesting story on what could have been, but I'm glad that she didn't produce 21st Century Breakdown just on the principle that I can't fucking stand, "What's Up"! 

1 minute ago, Grunt said:

Interesting story on what could have been, but I'm glad that she didn't produce 21st Century Breakdown just on the principle that I can't fucking stand, "What's Up"! 

What does that have to do with production skills? 

21 minutes ago, Grunt said:

I'm glad she didn't produce 21CB cause that's my favourite album. Nobody dare mess with that album! It's perfect as is!

This is clearly management issue. If nobody call her, is because someone forgot how to do his or her job.

27 minutes ago, greendepent said:

This is clearly management issue. If nobody call her, is because someone forgot how to do his or her job.

I agree with this. Definitely should have been handled by management.

15 hours ago, Hermione said:

At the risk of sounding sexist, I'm gonna chime in.

Women in administrative offices are completely different than men. I am not saying one is better than the other but when I have to deal with an office situation, or when I hear about stories after someone is let go of the tour, company, whatever, how the boss women act vs the boss men is night and day.  In reality, while we should judge nobody based on who they are, who they are often does justify certain stereotypes (both good and bad ones), stereotypes aren't bad in and of themselves.  Semantically they just mean "characteristics broadly applied to a specific group of people" and that could be boy scouts or white people.

So women like to talk more. They go home to their husbands and discuss the politics of the tv show, office, production, and they can become more paranoid and they discuss it and they talk abbot work morale and shit like that and I suppose thats a good thing but men just want to come in, do whatever the fuck their job is and get out while making the day as fun as possible.  We don't sweat everything as much (at least from my vantage point). I have said, I truly believe women are the superior race but in the workforce, they are catty and stab each other in the back. I wouldn't trust my best friend in the women's workplace.  I've seen it too many times.  There is a lot of asshole men so I'm putting men on a pedestal, we've fucked everything up our own way.  It's time for women to lead but my wife holds a high position where she works and I can see it in what she says and the network she works at is a major one. (its owned by Viacom).  

I hope I don't come on sounding sexist here because I truly am not.  I honestly believe that women are the superior sex in almost all ways., but that is a major difference.  Much more talk, drama and cattiness at the office but they also hide it more which is nice.  Sometimes, I'd rather have a fake asshole than a real one.

Archived