Helping with mental health

muscles90

I'm interest to know more song's they have wrote relating to mental health apart from Basket Case . I like to think Green Day give people hope who struggle with this terrible illness through the lyrics in their music

For example they have help me overcome self harming myself . 

Does anyone have any personal stories of how they have been helped through their music :) ?

in an interview, Billie taught me how to make a gravity bong, which helped me overcome my bong-complexes. 

1 hour ago, muscles90 said:

I'm interest to know more song's they have wrote relating to mental health apart from Basket Case . I like to think Green Day give people hope who struggle with this terrible illness through the lyrics in their music

For example they have help me overcome self harming myself . 

Does anyone have any personal stories of how they have been helped through their music :) ?

Sorry for the upcoming novel ^^ I had to much answers to your simple question :)

Just like you I had a self harming addiction when I found these guys music. I like to call it an addiction since I couldn't stop, even though I wanted to and knew it was bad. Since the cause to my self harming were founded in an insecurity about my identity, like who am I? Am I gay or am I not? What do I want to to with my life? These questions raised in my head at the same time when I figured out that I didn't share the same interests as my childhood friends any more. So I also felt alone and confused. This led to some dark thought overtime which ended up in self harming like some sort of (what I believed) relief/escape.

Coincidence or not, but my name is Jimmie (Jimmy but spelled with "ie" instead of y, pronounced the same) and there is a lot in the lyrics in the AI-album about that character that I can relate to. Like "With an angel face and a taste for suicidal". I have always been a nice person (angel face), but walking around with a (hidden) taste for suicidal. I could go on and on about this, but I won't bore you out to much ^^. But mainly, there is so much in the lyrics of Green day's songs that helped me feel understood and accepted about the thoughts/answers I all the things I had in my head. 

Together with therapy, supportive parents and Green Day's music I came out of my addiction stronger than ever. Even though therapy and parents play their (huge) parts there was one part none of them could fill. The feeling of reading my thoughts and understanding me without any effort from me. So in case of someone else that is in the same position as I was, remember you are not alone. Dare to reach out to others (professionals and family/friends) but most important, you will always have these awesome guys!

Panic Song and Armatage Shanks. Those are great for that. Really most of the Insomniac album deals with mental health in some way but those two songs for sure. Having A Blast is another good one. One line that always helps me in life is from Burnout and that's  "throw my emotions in the grave, hell who needs them anyway". Green Day as a whole is just the best band I have ever found for helping mental health or overcoming bullshit. Bab's Uvula Who? :)

I find a lot of the songs with lyrics about being lost and confused and angry (and there are so so many great ones) help me feel like I've got a friend and I'm not alone. I have treatment resistant illnesses that I'll have to live with for the rest of my life with no relief (and the years of trying every treatment have left me with irreversible brain damage), so that connection is invaluable to me. Lazy Bones is a big one, and there are lots of lyrics throughout ¡TRÉ! that often get overlooked. There are a bunch of early songs about being uncomfortable and frustrated, questioning everything, not knowing what to do and feeling depressed ("my immortal thoughts turned into just dreams of a dead future/it was a tragic case of my reality"). And Revolution Radio is a treasure trove of lyrics about mental issues, fighting them, and maybe seeing some hope on the other side - "it's all that I want and I want to be free/I got Satan riding next to me" and the entirety of Forever Now especially.

But seriously, just about every song has something to connect to if you're struggling with your mental health. Just turn up The Grouch really loud and yell about how shitty things are, that's what I do!

There are songs that remain in that dark place (Panic Song, Armatage Shanks, Lazy Bones), but there are also songs that contain hope (Hold On, Forever Now, See The Light). There's a GD song for every emotion and every situation and that's why I love them. I'm really glad they've helped you. :)

I don't have any such stories but they've been my constant for the last ten years when I've felt highs and lows. As @so-unholy said, they make you feel like you're not alone.

Archived