Will 2017/2018 be the time for Green Day to release a new DVD Live Album?

Stefano Bras

I saw some people talking about this and since I didn't found any thread to discuss this possibility I decided I might as well just create one.

Here's my take on the matter from another thread:

On 8/1/2017 at 8:37 PM, Stefano Bras said:

More than looking for the intervals I would check the context, Bullet in a Bible got released in 2005, a year after AI and it was recorded during the AI World Tour; then we got Awesome As Fuck (sorry Andres), during the world tour in 2010/2011 to promote 21stCB.

So it would make sense for them to record something during the world tour to promote Revolution Radio, sometime inbetween 2017-2018, but it would have to be a big show in a commercially relevant country, wouldn't know where tho.

What do you guys think? Which venue/country would be a good choice for a new live album?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally wouldn't care for a GD live album right now. They aren't playing much new material live, so it wouldn't be that interesting anyway. Unless they did something new or crazy (like play a show or rare tracks and record it), I wouldn't be interested.

I think it would've been cool to record a performance of Dookie or American Idiot front-to-back for a live anniversary CD, but sadly that opportunity has passed. Would've been nice to hear the deeper cuts that don't get played often. Otherwise I agree with @DookieLukie, there really isn't enough material they're playing right now that hasn't been recorded before to make it worth it. Their setlist has been quite repetitive. 

I'm of course excited to see them soon, but I really hope they improve upon the setlists.

I'd be fine with a live album, but only if it contained some new songs and deep cuts. As much as I liked the performances on AaF, it wasn't very interesting in terms of tracks (apart from a middle section of the album and those iTunes bonus tracks). I don't really see why American Idiot or Wake Me Up When September Ends need to be on both albums.

They've been putting out good music and good albums, and how many live albums do we really need?  I think two (or more if you include international ones) is enough.   I'd rather a really well done 2 disc Greatest Hits (with ALL the singles, in order).  Actually what I REALLY want is a well done B-sides collection with the numerous unreleased tracks the band has done.  It keeps me UP AT NIGHT that there's all these Green Day songs floating around in the world that I probably never hear.    

So my answer is that I don't think so.  Part of the simplicity of Revolution Radio and all.   This time around I think we've got 2-3 more singles and a great tour.  Green Day, in my opinion, are at a creative high point in their career so I think after this album cycle, the best course of action would be to take a short break and then start work on ALBUM 13.    I'd appreciate a compilation, live album or a side project but I think going forward is what they are going to do.    

I can't wait to see what's in store for us on Album 13!   Is anybody else already thinking about it???   Can we go ahead and make a post about or do we have to wait for a specific thing to happen?   

22 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Personally wouldn't care for a GD live album right now. They aren't playing much new material live, so it wouldn't be that interesting anyway. Unless they did something new or crazy (like play a show or rare tracks and record it), I wouldn't be interested.

They've played 7 out of 12 new songs, so they could maybe put all those live performances together, and they did one or two others at soundchecks.   But yeah, I don't think a new album is the best move at this point.   

I agree with others that I would be most interested in having the new songs live. It could work if they did a short EP with just the new songs. I'd love that. If anything I'd love to see a live DVD after this tour is done. I find those more interesting than live albums. 

44 minutes ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

Green Day, in my opinion, are at a creative high point in their career so I think after this album cycle, the best course of action would be to take a short break and then start work on ALBUM 13. I'd appreciate a compilation, live album or a side project but I think going forward is what they are going to do.    

I can't wait to see what's in store for us on Album 13!   Is anybody else already thinking about it???   Can we go ahead and make a post about or do we have to wait for a specific thing to happen?   

YES THIS!

GD 13 all the way!

Doing a bit of math here, the shortest they've gone between albums is 1 year(4 times), and the longest they've gone is 5 years(only once, between AI, and 21CB).

So their average wait period is one year. Unlikely? Maybe. Still, yay for possibilities!!!:dance:

I'd love to just get a deluxe version of RevRad that had live versions of new songs. Or simply release a digital EP that contain 5 or 6 live tracks from RevRad.

Unless the album would contain some rare songs or a lot of RevRad songs, they shouldn't bother. We've heard enough of Letterbomb, American Idiot, When I Come Around, and Basket Case. Oh, and Letterbomb. Did I mention Letterbomb?

With all the postproduction shit thar CLA adds? No thanks. They could do as Metallica do with live shows, but whatever

I wouldn't mind another live DVD/Bluray though. They never release the full concert it's always like half the amount of tracks they actually play

I would be interested if they include Outlaws, YoungBlood, Too Dumb Too Die or Forever Now (or maybe all RevRad live lol), or maybe if it's a huge epic show. 

A better live DVD compilation would be killer! The other ones don't cover all the albums and all the essential classics. A two disc live one even better to get everything we want included from different cities on the tour. Would be cool.

I'd be absolutely happy with another Bullet In A Bible. A large show with some high-end production. BIAB was amazing. They sounded amazing, they looked amazing. They had fucking helicopters! I don't think it's time for another AAF. The show hasn't changed enough to just release footage like that again. 

Other songs we have not seen on DVD would be nice and other songs together. They probably should release something anyway, everybody on here will buy one either way no matter what they put on it. :D

they need to release the rock n roll hall of fame induction concert from the house of blues. such an amazing setlist and it's the perfect reason for a live album. being inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame? come on. so many great songs that were so very rarely played live. I would love to have a high quality audio file for knowledge with tim armsrong and stuart and the ave. hell, the whole sweet children setlist and all would be so damn amazing.

I'd really like a full concert (30/32 tracks) with songs mostly from Nimrod (20th anniversary), Trilogy and the whole RevRad (new stuff that wasn't played in BIAB and AAF). Due to their latest album a cool name for it would be "Revolution Video" and an album cover with an old television that's burning down. :lol:

They should do Hyde Park! as bluray. Full show, captured as it is. No pro-tools.

I mean hear Awesome as fuck. it was edited a lot. even the video had too many visual effects. we don't want that, just capture Hyde Park like the Rolling Stones and The Who did.

great camera angles, and sharp as f*ck. with great audio tracks, a DTS HD 5.1 track, and a good stereo track 9600, 24bit to listen with headphones, or with a good stereo amp. 

And a Live CD of that, with a bonus disk with rare songs live. 

bootlegs are sounding better than official Green Day releases, c'mon. nothing is 100% perfect, don't try to make it like that.

releasing every show as a download would be amazing. I would buy a box-set with every show in there. like Pearl jam and Metallica doing.

They even release it in 9600khz, 24bit. 

We don't know the setlist for the new tour yet. Maybe we will get many new RevRad songs (I hope so!!!), and maybe even some rare stuff like they already did in the US shows. So I would LOVE a live album, or better a live DVD. You can never have enough GD live videos in HD quality ;)It would be cool if they released video footage from different shows. BIAB was great, too, but a best of with material from different venues would be awesome! 

Yeah, if they had to do a live album, Hyde Park would do it. A big production spectacle, another master piece, just like Bullet In A Bible was.

Oh, and Sam Bayer should produce it (fuck all who bash him, he's one cool motherfucker, what he did with BIAB and AI videos was awesome), as well as Rob Cavallo.

I think the way the live footage was shot on Cuatro is the best example of how a live dvd should be shot,  high quality and cinematic but not contrived and over done. Not millions of cuts, filters and angles every second. Just the band playing.

I agree with you all but if they did record a new live album I'm sure it would have lots of new songs on the setlist, since the purpose of the live album (just like Bullet and Awesome as Fuck) is to promote the album.

and I agree Hyde Park would be and incredible choice but they already did England with BiaB, I can't think of many other places that could get the job done tho... Germany? Australia? Something big in the USA (not so keen of that one)? 

and just to let you guys know, by Live Album I meant a DVD/CD kind of thing, like BiaB and AaF.

It'd be cool if they did a Wrigley Field one, just cause I plan on going there :lol:

On 9.1.2017 at 1:55 PM, MMwhatsername said:

It would be cool if they released video footage from different shows. BIAB was great, too, but a best of with material from different venues would be awesome! 

Sorry, have to quote myself here, I forgot to mention one major advantage if they released a live DVD with material from different shows: We would see as many of Billie's outfits as possible ....

Spoiler

... preferably soaking wet ruffled shirts :toocool:

OK sorry I'm in the wrong thread here, but I stayed on topic :ninja:

*cough* Green Day at Aragon *cough*

It would be a great follow up to Jaded in Chicago :D

Archived