Random Green Day News

Hermione

The 100 best-selling albums of all time

https://www.radio.com/music/gallery/the-100-best-selling-albums-of-all-time

By Marty Rosenbaum RADIO.COM

November 18, 2020 1:30 pm

What’s the best album of all time? That’s a topic for another day. What’s the most popular album of all time? Well, that’s an argument that can be backed up with data.

The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) is an organization that represents America’s recording industry. Through its certification program, it helps track total sales of albums, singles, and everything in between. Heard of a platinum record? Then you’ve heard of an RIAA certification.

“Originally conceived to honor artists and track sound recording sales, Gold & Platinum Awards have come to stand as a benchmark of success for any artist,” the RIAA’s website states. On this site, the RIAA also compiled the best-selling albums of all time.

Using data from the RIAA, here are the 100 best-selling albums of all time.

97 Green Day - Dookie

Green Day’s 1994 major label debut has sold 10 million copies.

• Like 1

I wonder if the merch folks heard the complaints everywhere about the $40 US price tag for the Horny plush, because it’s now been lowered to $35. I’d be pissed if I jumped on it and paid $40 

https://store.greenday.com/corny-unicorn-plush.html?___store=wbr_greenday_us&fbclid=IwAR38xi3eOkAa_rHXc_Rb-KwQwsVzm9dpjXpF3xd7tFcv0s_8-Rh3foH3yAI

• Like 1

I want it!!! But there's no way I'm paying that much. That's a ridiculous price.

• Like 1

Yeah 35 is still a bit much. That's not even with shipping. Bring it down to 25 and then we'll talk.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 8:37 AM, The Grohl said:

Yeah 35 is still a bit much. That's not even with shipping. Bring it down to 25 and then we'll talk.

If for 25, he better actually vomit.   If he could do a drunken rendition of the album, that would be cool as well.  

I guess my fandom hits a wall with stuff like this.  But hey.  Lots of people like them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, That Dude said:

If for 25, he better actually vomit.   If he could do a drunken rendition of the album, that would be cool as well.  

I guess my fandom hits a wall with stuff like this.  But hey.  Lots of people like them.

A vomiting unicorn, they’ll wish they thought if that if they see this 😂😂

• Like 1

I don't get the deal with vinyls. They're like a cool antique but I was never interested. The vinyl player in my house wasn't working by the time I was old enough to use it. I guess I'd like to know how a GD record (for ex. American Idiot) would sound, but it's not that urgent to me. Besides, they're way too expensive to keep them as memorabilia or something.

In this episode of Tour Mode podcast with guests Jake and James from the Nimrods podcast, the host tells a funny story of seeing Billie as he tried to quietly check out the bands playing downstairs at the Black Cat in DC where The Longshot was playing.  It's in the first few minutes:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2SDGXeM7BvbV0z3LUhbM9G?si=_Ii2isAHQ-erAKgMrIQ1Dg

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Laly said:

I don't get the deal with vinyls. They're like a cool antique but I was never interested. The vinyl player in my house wasn't working by the time I was old enough to use it. I guess I'd like to know how a GD record (for ex. American Idiot) would sound, but it's not that urgent to me. Besides, they're way too expensive to keep them as memorabilia or something.

I on the other hand remember trying to keep needles clean, buying the right replacements, trying to move easily damaged and very heavy vinyl etc etc.  I have no romantic notion about it at all but I do love the look of some of the new coloured ones.  If I do miss anything, it’s sitting with a big, fold out album cover to study while listening to a new, whole album.  Crap for wearing in the gum though 😂😂

10 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

In this episode of Tour Mode podcast with guests Jake and James from the Nimrods podcast, the host tells a funny story of seeing Billie as he tried to quietly check out the bands playing downstairs at the Black Cat in DC where The Longshot was playing.  It's in the first few minutes:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2SDGXeM7BvbV0z3LUhbM9G?si=_Ii2isAHQ-erAKgMrIQ1Dg

Oh cool, thanks, that’s hilarious and adorable at the same time!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jengd said:

I on the other hand remember trying to keep needles clean, buying the right replacements, trying to move easily damaged and very heavy vinyl etc etc.  I have no romantic notion about it at all but I do love the look of some of the new coloured ones.  If I do miss anything, it’s sitting with a big, fold out album cover to study while listening to a new, whole album.  Crap for wearing in the gum though 😂😂

I read the beginning of this in the Unread Content overview and the last word  before it was cut was “heavy” so I had no idea what this was about. I was thinking “what??? is Jen talking about heroin :o

I agree vinyl is rather inconvenient compared to CDs or streaming music, but it’s so nice, makes listening to music a nice ritual and the sound is great. It’s expensive though.

• Like 4

Yeah vinyl is an expensive hobby, but there's something about owning albums you cherish on vinyl. I can't really explain it. That's why I save vinyl purchases for bands and albums that mean a lot to me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Grohl said:

Yeah vinyl is an expensive hobby, but there's something about owning albums you cherish on vinyl. I can't really explain it. That's why I save vinyl purchases for bands and albums that mean a lot to me. 

I can understand that, I still like to buy CDs, feels more tangible than a download.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jengd said:

I can understand that, I still like to buy CDs, feels more tangible than a download.

Same here! I buy CDs all the time. I want something I can hold and know that it's mine. With streaming, you never know when something is just gonna disappear because of a number of issues, mostly licensing. I'm a big proponent of physical media and I encourage anyone to actually buy CDs, movies, etc of the media you love because with streaming there is no guarantee that it'll be there forever. And that's why it pisses me off when bands decide, hey let's not do a CD release. Let's just do vinyl. It's such a bad move because not everyone wants or can afford vinyl. And for me, certain albums aren't worthy of a vinyl purchase. At the same time, there are people who actually want to own the music. Looking at you LONGSHOT :dry:

Going back to vinyl, I can't even pretend I notice the difference in vinyl vs CD. It also depends on the vinyl. For instance, picture discs don't often have great sound quality. There are other people here who will know more about it, but I do notice some audio differences between the two formats. But really it just comes down to your preference. Vinyl can be finnicky. CDs are definitely easier overall. I will say there's something so satisfying about playing something like American Idiot on vinyl. 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2020 at 5:23 PM, The Grohl said:

Hey Macy's Day Parade was a hit! (In our hearts 😝)

I used to consider a song a hit if it had a video.  Nowaways there are so many videos, I changed that rule.