Maria

justcause

How does it feel? Wonderful!!!

As Green Day girls go, Maria is SO FUCKING THERE, kick your ass and spit in your eye, inspire you and fire you and probably somewhere along the way make you feel totally inadequate, un-man you. Maria's the guy you wanna be. All the stuff you sit around talking about doing, Maria just fucking up and does, and does it better. Maria's Whatsernamey - she could so totally Letterbomb any of your pussy-assed, hand-wringing, self-doubting shit about what and where and how and maybe, because she's all about here and now, pow, she's explosive, anti the corrosive of inertia. She's all or nothing, she's take it or leave it - and if you don't take it, she leaves. It's her way and she's the highway.

Maria's not the dreamy girls of the early songs, and she's not the broken goddess Gloria. She's down to earth, salt of the earth - what she lacks in dimension, she makes up for in action. She's the ghost in the rearview mirror, maybe magnified to something bigger than she could ever be because she's become an amalgamation of regrets and 'lost' chances. She's an inspiration. She's a ballbreaker. She's unforgettable.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this is supposed to be a female character appreciation thread, I'd have to go with 80 above all others.

If this is indeed a female character appreciation thread, my heart sides with Gloria <3

It's a SOWhenever thread Duh!! :rolleyes:

:P

I've always loved this song. From the beginnings of the five-year-old BJ's 'Wonderful!!' to the kick-assness of the song itself. It starts off this album perfectly, and it just gets me going. It tells a story with the lyrics, and the music helps it along. The drums are extra intense and purposeful, moreso than usual, and the guitar (love the solo in this song - almost reminds me of Johnny B Goode for some reason. Maybe it's just the sound of the guitar?) just sounds so in your face like it's trying to push - or better yet, scream - the point across.

My favorite line is, 'She's the first voice of the last ones in the line.' She's the strong one speaking for everyone that doesn't have a voice or is too scared to speak up. I always wondered where she went - like why is he singing 'Where did ya go?' Did she suddenly stop doing her thing, or is that a way to say that collectively no one speaks up for themselves anymore?

Love how you describe the character that she is, Angeline. She always seemed to me a tough bitch, and I loved that about the song, lol. I haven't seen West Side Story in AGES, but I can see why (IMO...) you posted that video. It's just a different way of expressing basically the same thing. Totally different, lol, but yeah, Maria's cool. :cool: Thanks for writing - I ALWAYS appreciate the way you write and the way you make me think about the songs! :wub:

IF THIS IS A SPAM, .... no, ne'er mind. I just need to control myself. Cool, cool.

For all of those who are confused, I'm pretty sure that Maria is Song of the Week and this is the thread for it...in a creative way I guess..

Oohhh I knew it was song of the week!

I quite enjoyed the op to be honest :)

And I love maria, makes me wanna jump and break stuff :P

Isn't 'Maria' a metaphor for punk music? That's what I thought the song was about. Billie was asking 'where did punk go?' and talks about Maria in the way that punk appeals to him. Anyway that's just my interpretation of a cracking song.

I am surprised so many people didn't get it was a SotW thread :lol: (I mean, the title totally gives it away).

I always like this song, and it never lets down. Maria is one kick-ass gal.

I think the West-Side Story video is what confused me the most.

Isn't 'Maria' a metaphor for punk music? That's what I thought the song was about. Billie was asking 'where did punk go?' and talks about Maria in the way that punk appeals to him. Anyway that's just my interpretation of a cracking song.

I've heard that theory before. I kind of like it.

Someone's written about Green Day's music on GDC and said more than "It's a good song" LOLWHUT :rolleyes:. I don't see how this thread is confusing, last week's song of the week was called "Song of the Warning" so it's not exactly rocket science.

As Green Day girls go, Maria is SO FUCKING THERE, kick your ass and spit in your eye, inspire you and fire you and probably somewhere along the way make you feel totally inadequate, un-man you. Maria's the guy you wanna be. All the stuff you sit around talking about doing, Maria just fucking up and does, and does it better. Maria's Whatsernamey - she could so totally Letterbomb any of your pussy-assed, hand-wringing, self-doubting shit about what and where and how and maybe, because she's all about here and now, pow, she's explosive, anti the corrosive of inertia. She's all or nothing, she's take it or leave it - and if you don't take it, she leaves. It's her way and she's the highway.

Maria's not the dreamy girls of the early songs, and she's not the broken goddess Gloria. She's down to earth, salt of the earth - what she lacks in dimension, she makes up for in action. She's the ghost in the rearview mirror, maybe magnified to something bigger than she could ever be because she's become an amalgamation of regrets and 'lost' chances. She's an inspiration. She's a ballbreaker. She's unforgettable.

Wow I love the way you've summed up the Maria character! Made me excited to listen to the song! I love Green Day's kick ass female characters and she's probably the most kick ass of all. Not a complex character but a strong, inspiring symbol for being passionate about what you believe in and standing your ground. The music makes it even better, all the different parts sound really clear and strong and energetic just like the character.

I really like this live performance of it complete with trashing their instruments at the end (and Mike getting surprised/scared by it :lol:)

I like the clear and crisp International Superhits version with the 5 year old Billie clip at the beginning (such a great and amusing idea :D), but I also like the original Warning b-side version. I like the rougher sound and the way he sings the vocals, it sounds really different. I was trying to find a youtube clip or download link of it to post but I can't find one, anyone know if it's around anywhere?

Billie's hair :lol:

/off topic

It's Tre's fabulous hair that caught my attention :lol:

Was this song ever released as a single? If not, it should've been! I sorta like this video, but the guys' energy in it certainly does not match the energy of the song. Ah..honestly, it's kinda boring, lol. No wonder it was unreleased. The only thing I like about it is Tre's rant at the end :lol: Thinking about it, I find it hard to believe this was meant to be the song's video at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XU3CWHc6ZE

Was this song ever released as a single? If not, it should've been! I sorta like this video, but the guys' energy in it certainly does not match the energy of the song. Ah..honestly, it's kinda boring, lol. No wonder it was unreleased. The only thing I like about it is Tre's rant at the end :lol: Thinking about it, I find it hard to believe this was meant to be the song's video at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XU3CWHc6ZE

MIKE :wub:

I always mix it up with the much more amusing Poprocks And Coke video but you're right it is a bit dull apart from the end. I think maybe it was more a "let's have a video of Green Day recording a song in the studio" thing than a making a video that's perfect for the song thing.

I like the original version of Maria better, the vocals and the rough sound! I wish that pink Waiting 7'' would be for sale again.. The unreleased video is ok, I love Tré at the end. I like the energy of the song!! I would like Green Day's next album to be/sound like this!

Archived