Panic Song

J'net

This week’s Song of the Week is Panic Song. Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the song.

Green Day's fourth studio album was released October 10, 1995. The album cover features artwork by Winston Smith titled "God Told Me to Skin You Alive". Many people saw Insomniac as a response to Green Day's sudden launch to fame after the release of Dookie. The album was noted for its darker or heavier tone and lyrics. It has sold over 8 million copies worldwide, making it Green Day's third most successful album to date (from the Green Day Authority’s Music page).

Panic Song for me, even without the words, is the sound of agitation, anxiety, disturbance … you name it! Instrumentally, it causes me to feel unsettled almost immediately. Then throwing in the words makes it official. This is one of Green Day’s songs where the music and the words match perfectly – no bouncy tune mixed with dark words for Panic Song! I love the way the lyrics are put together, but I think my favorite has to be, “Limp with hate.” I know that feeling of getting so wound up about something that, in the end, sucks every bit of energy out of me.

Couldn’t find a live video, but here’s a nice audio file for you:

Panic Song Lyrics

Ready for a cheap escape

On the brink of self destruction

Widespread panic

Broken glass inside my head

Bleeding down these thoughts of

Anguish... mass confusion

The world is a sick machine

Breeding a mass of shit

With such a desolate conclusion

Fill the void with... I don't care

There's a plague inside of me

Eating at my disposition

Nothing's left

Torn out of reality

Into a state of no opinion

Limp with hate

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the Song Discussions thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week from 9/14/2009 forward in its original post.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd really wish they would play this live sometime. I can only imagine how the crowd will get.

As for the lyrics, I use this phrase a lot when I feel stressed or pissed off, "On the brink of self destruction"

I love how I can find a Green Day song for every mood, when I'm mad I can listen to this song and feel better.

favorite lyric:

Breeding a mass of shit

Fill the void with... I don't care.

I wanna break something now :lol:

I love this song! One of my favourites off Insomniac! ( Oh wait, all songs on Insomniac are my favourite!)

My favourite lyric is,

Breeding a mass of shit

Fill the void with..i dont care

I just noticed the post above me had the same lyric. :lol:

Very underrated tune. My favorite lyrics are... whatever he says during the outro (I can't tell!)

J'net, what you said about the instruments being unsetting is totally true. When that bassline starts I already start to feel panicky haha :wacko:

Favorite line, "The world is a sick machine breeding a mass of shit"

I love it because it describes the world perfectly with all the terrible people in it :)

It conveys Billie's anger so well.

Panic Song is probably my favorite track on Insomniac. Mostly because of the first part, the bass (!!!!!) and then the guitar slowly coming in, and the drums, it sounds so damn good. I just love the whole instrumental part.

And of course, the lyrics are great (as usual). But the greatness is mainly the instrumental part, BECAUSE IS FUCKING GREAT :wub: (sorry for the caps, it's just I really, really love the song :lol:)

By the way, has it ever been played live?

I love this song. The wait during the solo is worth it. The lyrics get me every time. That's why insomniac's my favorite album. the lyrics are just so AMAZING.

AWESOME

Panic Song is just great. One of my favorites off of Insomniac. Whenever the song starts on my iPod, I just have to listen to the instrumental part, It's so good! And after that I want to hear the rest of the song too, haha. Great lyrics as well. Everything screams confusion.

This song describes how I feel right now pretty well actually..

I love the sound of this, it's just so.. grand. It would have made an awesome intro song for the album.

"The world is a sick machine

Breeding a mass of shit

Fill the void with... I don't care"

^ this part made it onto the back cover of my last 3 notebooks.. which is pretty impressive. :lol:

Also, if I'm angry in pain, or whatever, I will find myself singing the outro part. Which I assume is "I wanna drop out"

Another great choice! It's almost as if all the songs are awesome!! :P

I love listening to this one, it builds up in that tetchy way to a cruciendo where Billie Joe blurts out all of the frustration and anger that's stirring up inside to that point.

A favourite line is also "The world is a sick machine, Breeding a mass of shit"

Another great example of lyrics that are so relatable for many listeners. The feelings of "mass confusion" are oh so relevant in today's 'information-overload world.'

As far as i know, this song has never been played live. I sure would love to see it done one day!

This is a pretty good song from the handful of times I really listened to it. The intro to the song makes me nervous and as it goes on it builds up on you so by the time it gets to lyrics you are going to pop.

Just like almost everyone else I like "The world is a sick machine, Breeding a mass of shit"

i must admit this song has never grown on me.. well maybe that's because i don't listen to it very often.

and just now, it was the first time that i ever paid attention to these lyrics (yes, shame on me) and these are my favourite ones:

Broken glass inside my head

Bleeding down these thoughts of Anguish

i think that's just amazing and it expresses all that anger, fear and confusion so well.

i love the metaphor of broken glass, like in 21 guns "my faith walks on broken glass" i think that phrase just

expresses the deep meaning of the words in such a powerful way.

the instrumental start of the song really changed something in me when i listened to it like 3 minutes ago.

i've just been sitting around here, totally calm and perfectly fine with everything, and then i listened to it and it immediately

made me feel angry because of the fast melody and stuff. it reallly gives you the expression of what billie joe / the guys must

have felt when they were called sellouts etc ..

"Torn out of reality, Into a state of no opinion" for me expresses that all those people who insulted green day because of

dookie's success and stuff just lost their own opinion because they've been led into a mood and an opinion and they just

follow it because everybody does, and maybe they didn't question themselves if that's really how they feel as well.

I admit I do not often listen to this song, but I know when the world was not in favor to me, the song is what I usually hear. :thumbsup:

This is why I love Green Day, always has the right song to be heard in any situation. :wub:

I wish they play this song live :blush:

favorite line:

There's a plague inside of me

Eating at my disposition

Nothing's left

Torn out of reality

Into a state of no opinion

Limp with hate

I love this song, it makes me want to turn up the speakers and just blast my brains out with the music. As J'net said, the instrumental part at the beginning just sets me on edge and when you get the explosion of these angst filled lyrics it just makes you want to leap around and smash stuff.... maybe. It's a great song to listen to if you're angry... then again, Insomniac as a whole is a great album to listen to if you're pissed off.

Breeding a mass of shit

This is my favourite line from the song because a) it's so true and has only got more and more truthful since the mid-90's when this song first came out. I don't know, this line sort of makes me not want to trust anything other than those closest to me because you can never be sure of what their motives are. Maybe I'm over analysing but oh well... I love this song.

it took me a ridiculous amount of time when I first listened to this to wouk out that the outro is 'I wanna jump out'

I used to just sing 'iiiiiiii...wannajmaaaaaaaaaaa' until I looked it up.

good song. the instrumental intro with the mad bass is awesome. I'd love to see it live just to watch the speed at which they play it

i love insomniac. my favorite album from the "olden days." it took me a while for panic song to grab me but then it did and its never let go.

i too think of the line, "the world is a sick machine breeding a mass of shit" A LOT.

and the bass :wub:

Bass. Bass. Bass. Bass.

:runaround:

I love this song. The intro always pumps me up and sort of drowns out everything else, which is great on a crappy day.

Favorite line is "the world is a sick machine, breeding a mass of shit," of course.

FINALLY!!!

Amazing song, really deserves to be played live more often.

A perfect representation on Insomniac; Fast, thick, and aggressive.

really good album, really good song and just shows that Green Day really are one of the top bands in the world. the intro is amazing

Archived