2000 Light Years Away

J'net

This week's Song of the Week is 2000 Light Years Away. Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the song.

2000 Light Years Away is track number one on Kerplunk!, which was released in January 1992 on Lookout! Records and has since gone platinum. It was recorded in May and September 1991 at Art of Ears Studio. Produced by Andy Ernst and Green Day, it was the last album featuring John Kiffmeyer (Al Sobrante) as drummer (on four songs). It was also Green Day's last album produced by an independent label.

This song is eSPECIALly special to me, because it's the first Green Day song I ever heard – many years ago. I thought it was beautiful back then, and I still think it's beautiful. The line, "I hold my breath and close my eyes and dream about her - cause she's 2000 light years away," is so evocative for me. Who hasn't felt this incredible yearning? Whether your loved one is far away physically or someone you see every day but who is simply unreachable - who hasn't longed to feel that loved one's arms around them? What a poignant way to express that feeling of tightness in the chest, difficulty breathing and desperation … oh, wait … I'm talking about asthma, right? I am so fortunate as to have seen this song performed live in St. Louis, Kansas City, Los Angeles, and London. I'll never forget it.

Here's a video of Green Day playing this song at Nassau Coliseum in 1994.

Snap! wink.gif

There are lots of other good videos of this song out there. Share your favorite with us smile.gif.

2000 Light Years Away Lyrics

I sit alone in my bedroom

Staring at the walls.

I've been up all damn night long.

My pulse is speeding.

My love is yearning.

I hold my breath and close my eyes

And dream about her

Cause she's 2000 light years away.

She holds my malakite so tight so

Never let go.

Cause she's 2000 Light years away.

Years away!

I sit outside and watch the sunrise

Look out as far as I can.

I can't see her, but in the distance

I hear some laughter.

We laugh together.

Then I hold my breath and close my eyes

And dream about her

Never let go.

Years away!

I sit alone in my bedroom

Staring at the walls.

I've been up all damn night long.

My pulse is speeding.

My love is yearning.

I hold my breath and close my eyes

And dream about her

Never let go.

Years awa-a-a-a-a-y …

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the Song Discussions thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week from 9/14/2009 forward in its original post.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is such a beautiful and heartfelt song. the live performances are so raw and emotional. Its a song that so many people can connect with. one of green days classics

2,000 Lightyears Away will always be special to me and I love the pure, simple honesty of it. It has always seemed relevent in my life! Especially now... ''I sit outside and watch the sunrise lookout as far as I can. I can't see her[him!] but in the distance I hear some laughter, we laugh together...'' That line is so meaningful to me. <3

I had the greatest fortune to see Green Day perform this live on the 31st October '09 in Dublin. As soon as I heard Billie Joe say "how many old school Green Day fans are out there tonight? This song is called 2,000 Lightyears Away'' - I went insane. I'm not alone in saying it was the best night of my life.

looooove this song! :wub:

It was really an amazing surprise to hear it on Vienna show last November :D

I think this song is maybe unique in Green Day terms in that it's just so full of blissful happiness - even though it's about being physically distant from the one you love, it's clear that the distance means nothing - 'we laugh together'.

It is a sweet song. :wub: I love that I got to here this at the D.C. show last year. As I remember Billie saying "How many oldschool Green Day fans are here?" So I started screaming. And then he's all like "This song's called 2,000 Light Years Away". So I continued shouting and started singing along. The sad part was, not a lot of other people there knew it so the guys just transitioned into another song when they were like halfway through this one. :(

great choice!! i think is just so sweet i mean kerplunk is a great album but definitely this is one of my favorites i love the part of "She holds my malakite so tight so

Never let go"

HELL YEAH!!!! that's my favorite song (tied to Dry Ice) beacuse it describes me atm

I Adore this song! Probably one of my favourite songs of theres to hear live :wub:

its a completely stunning song... it almost feels awkward like your looking into a very private moment yet at the same time it completely fit moments in my life... Billie Joe is such an amazing song writer.

Aww, this is such a sweet song :wub: I would love to hear it live some day...

Awh man, I was waiting for this song to become sotw. Clearly one of Billie's most pronounced love songs ever. The lyrics are so sweet and beautifully worded. It shows just how much Adrienne means to him. If only I will meet a man that will have as much love for me as Billie does for Adrienne. :wub:

Beautiful song. Love this to bits.

Aw, this makes me happy. Just the other day I was thinking about how much I actually love this song :happy:

I heard this song live twice and I won't even try to describe how much I love it :wub:

I hear some laughter.

We laugh together.

Never let go.

:wub:

dang.. this is such a classic it never gets old :) i didn't actually know that john kiffmeyer did the drums to this song actually.. thought it was tre' :pinch:

I'll never get tired of this song. It's one of my favorites, and I love it to death. I rember listening to it over and over again last year.

I hear some laughter.

We laugh together.

:wub:

I love the line

Never let go.

:wub: too cute!!

a really clever way of saying - i cant take my eyes off of her. naaaaaaaw! so sweet. It took me forever to figure out what it meant. I knew Billie's eyes were green and when I found out malakite was a green mineral the penny dropped! I adore the way Billie twists language in his lyrics to give a common saying a new twist -like blacked out the rear view mirror in west bound sign etc

Billie clearly associates this song with Dublin, as they played it both times they were here on the 21st Century Breakdown tour ;)

It's not a favourite of mine but I still think it's such a sweet song and I know if someone wrote something like that for me after the first time we kissed then I'd feel prettty damn fuzzy inside.

I really loved hearing it live and I think it's so amazing that they still play songs like that years later and still make them sound just as good.

I love that 'malakite' line, it took me years to realise what that actually meant. Love that man's way with words :wub:

I love every love song that Billie wrote to Adrienne and this is an amazing one :wub:

I love this song so much. It really is classic Green Day.

Does anyone have the Rob Cavallo produced version that was supposed to go on Dookie? I've always wanted to hear it.

Archived