Hold On!

J'net

Okay, okay, I hear you!!! laugh.gif This week's Song of the Week is Hold On. Keep in mind, though, that I ration the songs from Warning because it has less songs on it than any other album. I don't want to run out of Warning songs with months left to go in Song of the Week! Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about Hold On.

The Warning album was released in October 2000 and climbed to a peak chart position of #4, going gold. Produced by Rob Cavallo and Green Day , it was released by Reprise Records. There is also a limited special edition version that contains a 52 page color book and a green Warning slipcover.

I LOVE this song! I love the sound of it (any song with harmonica tugs at my heart strings). I love the words. I love its underlying darkness mixed with its happy-go-lucky feel. I love the basic message it sings to me. And I love the quirky little visual image that comes to mind every time I listen to it.

I couldn't find a video of this song live, so here's one that allows you to listen while staring at the album cover (the only one featuring the band on the front cover).

Hold On Lyrics

As I stepped to the edge

beyond the shadow of a doubt

with my conscience beating

like the pulse of a drum

that hammers on and on

until I reach the break of day

As the sun beats down on

the halfway house

has my conscience beating

the sound in my ear

the will to persevere

as I reach the break of day

When you lost all hope and excuses

and the cheapskates & the losers

Nothing's left to cling onto

you gotta hold on

Hold on to yourself

A cry of hope

A plea for peace

and my conscience beating

It's not what I want for

it's all that I need

to reach the break of day

so I run to the edge

beyond the shadows of a doubt

with my conscience bleeding

Here lies the truth

the lost treasures of my youth

as I hold to the break of day

you gotta hold on

Hold on to yourself

you gotta hold on

you gotta hold on

you gotta hold on

Hold on to yourself

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the Song Discussions thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week from 9/14/2009 forward in its original post.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the lyrics to this song. and when Mike yells "hope!" in the background. :)

One of my favorite songs off of one of my all time favorite albums. I can never get enough of this song or the album. :wub:

Hold On was the 2nd song i learned on the guitar (from Warning album) ... i dont rememvber the tba any more but, whatever :lol:

but it's a fantastic song and the chorus especially

"When you lost all hope and excuses

you gotta hold on

Hold on to yourself " :)

i love it.

You can tell that they were growing up....I dont know but the sound of this is very peacefull

Yay! :wub: I'm glad it's SOTW.

I love Hold on, so much. I can never really pick an ultimate favorite Green Day song but this one is certainly up there.

The song writing is absolutly incredible. The lyrics are so beautiful and they mean the world to me. The music is so gorgeous for this song, no other way to describe it. Just gorgeous. I wish Green Day would release more music like this! This song has helped me through so much and I've played it over and over through hard times and it's message only gets stronger.

To me it's about passing that invisible line, to the truth knowing it will leave you alone but holding on, even if you've only got yourself.

'so I run to the edge

beyond the shadows of a doubt

with my conscience bleeding'

<3

I love the harmonica on this song. It feels like I'm listening to a totally different Green Day, which is not a bad thing at all. It shows a whole other side to their abilities.

I love this song. It always makes me feel so much better whenever I've been having a tough time.

I love the lyrics to this song. and when Mike yells "hope!" in the background. :)

I love that part, too :wub:.

I FREAKING LOVE THIS SONG :wub:

and I've decided that this will be my song till Green Day confirms Chile :lol:you've got to hold on, hold on to yourself... 'cause otherwise, I'll have panic attacks D:

The beginning really reminds me of a Beatles song, but my memory is failing me at the moment so I can't remember which one. I do really love this song, such a simple message and a lovely melody. It's one I need to listen to more because when I do, I can't get enough of it.

The beginning really reminds me of a Beatles song, but my memory is failing me at the moment so I can't remember which one. I do really love this song, such a simple message and a lovely melody. It's one I need to listen to more because when I do, I can't get enough of it.

Would it be, "I Should Have Known Better" ... ?

Would it be, "I Should Have Known Better" ... ?

Yes, that's the one! You can so easily tell the influences. XD

good song but i have never really gotten into it

you gotta hold on

Hold on to yourself :wub::wub:

means SO MUCH to me.

this song helped me out a lot after my mom died. i love it so much <333

After months of voting for this song its finally song of the week. Thank You!! :happy:

I was going to vote for Jackass next but since the warning songs are being rationed i'll leave it for a few months at least.

Hold on is one of my favourte Green Day songs, id love if they played it live more.

I like this song. Not my favourite by any means but I do enjoy it. Always one I seem to forget about though.

Such a great song! One of the bests on Warning.

...but it's a fantastic song and the chorus especially

"When you lost all hope and excuses

you gotta hold on

Hold on to yourself " :)

i love it.

Exactly.

Do you ever listen to a song loads and then one day you suddenly realise that you absolutly love it ? Cause that's what happened to me with Hold On, pretty recently I was just like :wub: This song's amazing (:

I love the line "Here lies the truth, the lost treasures of my youth", I just feel that when you're young you keep a lot of things secret and when you look back or find like an old diary or photos or something you find you'd forgotten all these important things that happened in your life or just little things that shaped who you are now and yeah, idk I just like that line :) And the chorus as well, it's just a really optomistic song.

I love this song, a lot. I really like the sound of it (although Billie's voice is really funny xD), and the general message too. This song helped me through a certain time in my life, and I didn't even know the full lyrics then. Just the chorus, the sound, some lines from the verses and the message that even goes through without the full lyrics was good enough. I love that the lyrics are like, not a metaphor, but I don't know the right word, but basically that it's waiting for the day to come. The edge beyond the shadow of a doubt, can be both taken as the figurative meaning of it, stepping out of the shadow on your life or something along those lines, or the end of the 'shadow', the night, which comes back later in "'till I reach the break of day" (I take it that the 'break of day' is the start of the day? It's the only thing I can come up with). But I love all the lyrics, all of it has this thing to it.

And that they're easy to understand helps too, haha.

Meh, I can't seem to say what I want to say.

its cool and great and all but in my opinion there are better songs on warning :)

Yay Hold On!!! thank you J'net :D

I was singing this in science today when my teacher talked about a baby's reflex action was to hold on to its mother /sorryrambling I'm just so pleased, love it :wub:

OMFG!!! I love this song!!

I love every single word that composes this song!

I can't comment it...'cause whatever I could say about it would be only reductive...

It's too much special for me to explain with words..the only thing that counts are the emotions that it gives me! :wub:

Archived