pasalaska

This week’s Song of the Week is 16, because, as suggested by Disappearingirl in the SotW Nomination Thread, “It's been a while since we last discuss a song from 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours, and while we're talking about a change of music style for Green Day [i'd recommend reading Amanda's editorial about that], it would be nice to get back to the band's roots”, and also because Jaymee suggested it to me last night.

16 is track 7 on Green Day’s first full-length album 39/Smooth (and subsequently track 7 on 1039/SOSH), released way back in 1990, when John Kiffmeyer was still drummer for the band.

In terms of meanings, this is as straight-up as Green Day songs get. It’s a yearning for the responsibility-free and care-free life lived as a child, and a trepidatious sigh at the prospect of the problems and pressures of adult, or at least older teenage life. It’s unsurprising, then, that I’ve grown to relate to this song more and more over the years since I first picked up 1039/SOSH when I was 13 years old. No matter what a person’s background or upbringing is, I’m sure there’s not one adult alive that won’t relate to the line “things are easy when you're a child, but now these pressures have dropped on my head”, whether that be related to something as simple as homework, or bigger issues like paying off a mortgage.

Musically, this has always been one of my favourites off 1039/SOSH – I really like the ‘chugging’ guitar intro of the song, and the funky bass line, especially in the song’s bridge; 16 is another great example of Green Day’s affinity for making a lyrically sad and serious song seem upbeat and happy. I’m also a big fan of Billie’s rather high voice in this song – obviously it suits the song’s subject perfectly, but it’s also pretty amazing to look back at songs off 1039/SOSH and hear just how far his voice has matured over the years.

That’s pretty much all I have to say about 16 – its beauty lies in its simplicity.

Video time! This is a remarkably good quality recording of Green Day’s performance at Billie and Mike’s high school, Pinole Valley High School, at the annual Foreign Foods Day, May 10th, 1990. If anyone knows of a recent video of this song being performed, I’d love to see it.

Lyrics:

Every night I dream the same dream

Of getting older and older all the time

I ask you now, what does this mean?

Are these problems just in my mind?

Things are easy when you're a child

But now these pressures have dropped on my head

The length I've gone are just long miles

Would they be shorter if I were dead

Every time I look in my past

I always wish I was there

I wish my youth would forever last

Why are these times so unfair?

Look at my friends and see what they've done

Ask myself why they had to change

I like them better when they were young

Now all these times are rearranged

I look down and stand there and cry

Nothing ever will be the same

The sun is rising now I ask why?

The clouds now fall and here comes the rain

Every night I dream the same dream

Of getting older and older all the time

I ask you now, what does this mean?

Are these problems just in my mind?

Things are easy when you're a child

But now these pressures have dropped on my head

The lengths I've gone are just long miles

Would they be shorter if I were dead?

*********************************************************************************************************

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the SotW Nominations and Archive thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week in its first post.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The line "Look at my friends and see what they've done -Ask myself why they had to change " has always really impacted me. My friends always seem to be changing, and the "new" people they become just aren't as good. Why'd everybody have to start looking like supermodels? :dry:

This song really means a lot to me. I think, there's line for nearly everybody to refer to.

Musically and the lyrics, both seem to be just perfect to me. I really love that song.

Amazingly written, Aska! And pretty good choice! :thumbsup:

Love this song. It's always been one of my favorites. At one point it described my life.

This is one of Green Day's songs that I loved only after hearing live versions. Now I love the recorded one too but the live version kicked ass for me. I love Mike's bass fillers between the bars at the start of the song. Very fast and technical, sounds awesome!

Great song. I love their early live versions of it. The bass drum, followed by Billie playing the riff is awesome :)

This song means so much to me. It says the things I wanna say... I really love it!

The line "Look at my friends and see what they've done -Ask myself why they had to change " has always really impacted me. My friends always seem to be changing, and the "new" people they become just aren't as good. Why'd everybody have to start looking like supermodels? :dry:

This. I feel the exactly the same way. Miss my friends as they were in the past...

Good song, but it's not one of my favorites of 1039/SOSH. I don't know, to me it doesn't have the same meaning as other songs that talks about "getting older" or something similar, the lyric is actually very sad, but I think that feeling didn't lasted too long for Billie Joe. I remember when he said on an interview that "he didn't want to be 16 forever", in the end no one wants, but this song helps to get through that age (or some more years) :)

Yay, 16!

After Disappearing Boy this was one of the first songs from 1039SOSH that I learnt the lyrics to and really loved.

Just before I first heard the song I went through a time where I had to grow up pretty quickly and ahead of the time most people did, for a few reasons. And for a long time after that I was quite angry about it. I thought "Why did this have to happen? Why couldn't I have been a kid for just a little longer?" This song helped me a lot.

To be honest I have never really listened to this song, just like a few others on the first two albums. I guess it would be a good time for me to start

I am so honoured to be mentioned in the SotW introduction, thank you Aska, and awesome job :blush::thumbsup:

I feel very related to this song for the easy, banal fact that I'm actually 16, an age that brings questions and fears about the future, like Billie says in the song;

you're not a child anymore, but you're not an adult yet, you just feel so old, like you have already lived all your life and you want to stop growing up....

Some lines sound a bit exaggerated to me, like "the length I've gone are just long miles, would they be shorter if I were dead" and "I look down and stand there and cry, nothing ever will be the same", but then "Why are these times so unfair", it's just every teenage's motto...

I love the music so fast, and the bassline is amazing...watching that old video was insane!!! :lol:

This song is a perfect example of why 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours is my favourite album. I feel like this song is me.

I love this song, I'm only 17 but I'm starting to see how people (especially friends from childhood) change and abandon you because they don't like you any more...one of my favorites songs of 1039/SOSH

Finally!! :banana:

I requested this song in the nomination thread too - it's my favorite off 1,039/Smoothed Out Slaappy hours :wub:

And it's the song that relates the most to me at the moment. Probably because I'm 16 and growing up is hard and everybody has epectations in you and it's not easy to fulfill them and so on... :ermm:

Great OP! And great to have a 39/Smooth song this week, i'm revisiting that album and era at the moment, so top choice!

I'm about to start my last year of college and even though I technically stopped being a child when I graduated high school, the real world doesn't really start until after college, and this it the perfect SotW for me about to go back to school. But I can't even listen to the whole thing because I'll get a little hysterical. It's just... devastating.

I think at some point most adults embrace and enjoy certain things about adulthood, but there is that profound loss of innocence and care-freeness that you can never fully get back no matter how hard you try. Being a billionaire might help, but...

It's definitely a song for however old he was at the time he wrote it, 17-20 or whatever. Being a kid is baller, and maybe being a teenager sucks, but it's less scary than being a 'young adult' and less secure than being a 'settled adult'. Ya know?

This song is brilliant! The first time I listened to the album I think this was the song that stuck out most to me, it has such a catchy and interesting melody. I'm sure the melody of the verses sounds like the melody of another song because it's always sounded REALLY familiar to me, but I can't think what song it is.......although maybe it just seems like that because of it's catchiness. Either way I love it, especially the way it alternates between a line with no harmony and then a line with harmony so it's like call and response, and the chugging guitar. The verses sound kind of odd really - I think that's why I like them so much.

The lyrics are great too, for the same reasons everyone's already said. I think anyone could relate to those feelings of missing being carefree and having no responsibilties. It's one of the songs that really showed Billie's thoughtfullness, honesty and intellgence as a songwriter right from the start.

One bit I really like is when Billie goes "....so unfaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiir-hup!" and then the music does that funky little breakdown biggrin.gif. Just another nice interesting little thing about this song. Probably one of the most, if not the most, interesting and "different" (in a good way!) songs on the album.

Got into this song as it comes on right after Pasalacqua. Really like it and love that video. Reminds me I need a good youtube session.

I LOVE the guitar riff on this song, it's slow, yet fast at the same time :)

it´s probably my favorite song of 1039 SOSH :wub: I can really relate to it. I remember the first time when I heard it. I was so stoked! the song is so amazing! the guitar riff is great! I´m 15, but since the first time I heard it, I have the plan to hear it FOR SURE on my 16th B-day ( I know, that must sound crazy, but hey, I can live with it :happy: ) this song means a lot to me! thanks for this song as SOTW ;)

16 :wub: Such a relatable song for me. I still remember the first time I read the lyrics, I was so blown away that someone - that Billie - feels the same way that I do. And I still am blown away by this song... a perfect example of why I love this album so much.

Oh and amazing opening post, I couldn't sum it up so perfectly :happy:

Archived