Hitchin' A Ride

J'net

Just a little note: From now on, Song of the Week will be appearing on Saturdays instead of Mondays to facilitate its discussion in the podcast (which will be recorded on Sundays). I didn't want anyone to get confused, so thought I'd mention it.

A one, two. A one, two, three, foooooooooooooooooour! This week's Song of the Week is Hitchin' a Ride. Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the song.

Hitchin' a Ride is the second song on the Nimrod album, which was released on October 14, 1997. Nimrod's highest chart position was number 10, and since its release, it's gone platinum twice. The single, Hitchin' a Ride, reached number 5 on the Billboard Modern Rock chart and number 9 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock chart.

I like to compare this song with "On the Wagon" from the Shenanigans album. "Hitchin' a Ride" is obviously sung by a lush who's trying to go straight and having a hard time of staying "on the wagon," whereas "On the Wagon" is sung by a lush who's using his "dry" status as an excuse for bad behavior of another kind.

A dear friend of mine sent me the link to the following video, which was recorded at Lollapalooza this year and is quite high quality. I also love it because (at about 0:44 and occasionally afterward), it's possible to see the sign language interpreter in the lower left corner. Those of you who know me well enough know why this pleases me wub.gif.

You can also watch the video for the official single in Green Day Authority's new Music section. The link to the video is in the top right corner of the song information here.

Hitchin' a Ride Lyrics

Hey mister, where you headed?

Are you in a hurry?

I need a lift to happy hour

Say oh no!

Do you brake for distilled spirits?

I need a break as well -

The well that inebriates the guilt. 1,2. 1,2,3,4.

Cold turkey's getting stale; tonight I'm eating crow -

Fermented salmonella poison oak no.

There's a drought at the fountain of youth, and now I'm dehydrating.

My tongue is swelling up, I say 1,2. 1,2,3,4.

Troubled times, you know I can not lie

I'm off the wagon and I'm hitchin' a ride.

There's a drought at the fountain of youth, and now I'm dehydrating

My tongue is swelling up, I say Shite!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the Song Discussions thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week from 9/14/2009 forward in its original post.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A one, a two, a one, two, three, four...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! One of the most fun songs live, even though the topic of the song is not the most fun :lol:

Odly, the first image that pops in my head when I hear this song: the hands-in-the-pants thing Billie Joe used to do. A shame he didn't do it on the 21CB tour :whistle:lol:

"there's a drought at the fountain of youth, and now I'm dehydrating" awesome as fuck.

This is a great song! I listen to it all the time

"I need a lift to happy hour, say oh no"

this song live is awesome as fuck. Period.

The music is just amazing and it's pure energy!

I love this song and of course, BIAB pops into my mind everytime I listen to this song :eyebrow:

Yay Lollapalooza!

I love this song live. It's also one of my favorite songs to play on the guitar.

Hitchin A Ride was the first song I ever learned to play on the bass, so it holds a special plus in my heart. Plus, as people have said, its hella fun live.

Great song choice. Great that the video is from Lolla! Chi-town is ho as hell!

Hahahahaha - :lol:!

One of my favorite Green Day songs!

It's just pure awesome :D

i find it hard to describe honestly :/ but it's definitely a song that really stands out on the album.

It feels like a mix of blood sex and booze with holiday to me. anyone else feel that way?

Also it feels really energetic and calm at the same time :unsure:

And the themes of the song confuse me aswell :pinch:

I could go one for hours really. But, in conclusion, epic song :bunny:

P.s. anyone find out what Billie says at the end??

I love Bullet In A Bible's live version of this song! It is so fucking powerful!

This is one of my favourite songs from Nimrod!

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yaaay i remember it from BIAB and how much it did kick my ass. that was just big. i love this song dearly, really i do.

Archived