Interview with Tre (Spain)

sara_gd

http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/552084/0/g...day/entrevista/

Tre Cool, the charismatic drummer of the biggest punk band on the planet, attend us from the other side of the phone. Green Day's latest work, 21st Century Breakdown, is the excuse for a tour that is carrying them around the world.

You declared that this is your most ambitious album.

Absolutely. We are very proud. After recording American Idiot there were lots of material that hadn't been written. We were really looking forward to return to the studio and get over it. And I think we made it.

This is your second album in punk opera format ...

It was exciting to make a kind of record like American Idiot, divided into acts. We have been really influenced by musicals like Jesus Christ Superstar and The Rocky Horror Picture Show. That has enabled American Idiot to become a musical.

You have become a highly charged political band. How do people live in the U.S. after Obama's victory?

These are hard times for our country. Many people are losing their jobs and their homes. There is a feeling of hope, but at the same time, the U.S. hasn't “reached the bottom?”. The crisis afected everyone and Obama has lots of work to do. He inherited a terrible mess from his predecessor. During the first four years he'll have to clean up what Bush left, so that in the next four the can

begin making changes.

Can music change the world?

It's people who change the world. But if music can inspire people, then is also part of that change.

How did you experienced the worldwide success of Dookie?

The truth is that it was so fast we barely had time to assimilate it. We couldn't even enjoy it like we should. We realized everything later.

Do you still feel punk?

Yes, absolutely.

But, you can be punk and make music that sells millions of records?

Yes, you can ... if you're Green Day (laughs).

How does it feel to think that your music has changed many's people lives?

If you think about it, it be overwhelming. But we are still working class, humble people.

A hypothetical situation: I'm a fan of Green Day with low incomes. Your concerts are very expensive. What can I do to see you live?

Pass without paying. Or ask a friend for money and don't give it back ever (laughs).

How do you get along with fame?

Sometimes it's embarrassing and makes us feel like if we were Mickey Mouse. Although, we love making our fans happy.

What three words come to mind if you think about Spain?

(Pronounced in Spanish): Tapas, vino y mujeres (tapas, wine and women) (laughs). I love Spain. I would move there without thinking it twice. I'd also love to live in Paris. Not in London: the weather sucks.

(Sorry about the possible mistakes)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love that he loves Spain and that the actually speaks some spanish :wub: It'd be funnier when they come to Chile (someday) :D

thanks for posting this :D

A hypothetical situation: I'm a fan of Green Day with low incomes. Your concerts are very expensive. What can I do to see you live?

Pass without paying. Or ask a friend for money and don't give it back ever (laughs).

That made me laugh and realize how much I love Tre. :wub:

Good interview!

So true about Dookie.

It's too bad they didn't have time to enjoy it. They were so young, too.

Then they released Insomniac a year later.

thank you for the translate! :thumbsup:

Tapas, vino y mujeres made me go :lol: :lol: that's something you'd expect from Tre... :happy:

Archived