02 - Bang Bang

Lone

15 hours ago, Matt. said:

In the case of American Idiot, yes.

HDTracks' purpose is to not only provide lossless audio, but provide it in the highest quality possible, usually what it gets sent to mastering at. On average, it seems to be 24bit at 96kHz audio. Comparing that to a CD, those WAV files are encoded 16bit at 44.1kHz. So, A LOT of audio data is lost when the songs are mastered for CD.

44.1kHz means that 44,100 times per second, the encoder (in a CD's case, a WAVE encoder) looks at the audio stream and takes a snapshot of the sound. Each snapshot has 16 bits of data in it. With 96kHz and 24bit, that's more than double the amount of samples per second and 50% more audio data per sample.

Now, will 99.9% of people notice a difference? Nope.

Ok children, class is over for today.

More of the difference actually comes from the mix itself. The lack of swelling has nothing to do with the bitrate, but the actual mastering. It could be 256kbps and sound way more dynamic than a flac copy of the CD. I did a phase inversion test yesterday to see what I could filter out of the HDTracks using the CD rip, and it pulled out the kick drum, snare, and cymbals very slightly from Letterbomb and Murder City which are pretty loud songs, which tells you that the mixes are slightly different (usually from no swelling). Do the same with a 256kbps copy of the same HDTracks version instead of flac and you get the same exact result. - The bitrate is far more than enough for CDs to hold the same amount of quality if it was the same master. To me, the HDTracks coming in extremely high data rates like 96KHz and 24 bit is just for archival reason because anybody who says they can hear a difference between 16bit 44KHz and 96/192KHz 24bit is either lying or suffering from a placebo effect.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TimmyChunks said:

Ha. The Jinx reference is a good one. I've loved that song since they played it during the band interview on Modern Rock Live before Nimrod came out. I've had nothing but the utmost respect and adoration for that song for the 19 years since. It's always been one of my absolute favorites, and if you had told me that BB was going to be 50% as good as Jinx I would have been thrilled. Well, it's not 50% as good. It's better. Jinx is an incredible song, don't get me wrong, but I like to think I've evolved as a fan as the band has evolved as songwriters and musicians. And on every level BB is better, in some cases (drumming and structure) by a long shot. Jinx will always hold a special place in my heart, but for those who throw out some of the old greats (I'll throw Westbound, Scattered, and Letterbomb out as some of their all time best) and try to criticize BB by comparison- well, I don't think that's fair...to the old classics. BB is on a new level. I'll never lose my love for the old stuff, it's in my DNA at this point. But BB is a superior tune. How lucky are we as fans that this is even in the discussion? I never thought in a million years that in 20 years this band would create new material that would be better, but they have. Incredible.

I agree, I get that people are hearing 'old' GD in this, but I (who loved 21CBD) see this as progression from there too.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tinkle said:

Why don't you like it.

In no specific order:

Boring riff.

Uninspired lyrics, making a dull, half baked political point with all the guile of a 15 year old writing their first song.

No real hook to speak of. 

Tinny production. 

A general tired feeling of 40 year olds desperately trying to be relevant and edgy, when really they should embrace a less youthful, more distinguished energy. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

I don't agree with you at all, but  the biggest that stuck out was the uninspired lyrics.  I actually think this is some of the best lyrics Billie has ever written.  It is really difficult to capture the how manic a mass shooter must feel and the thought process they go through and I really feel that the lyrics capture that.     

Yeah. It is. And he doesn't in the slightest. It's just dull. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

Well we can agree to disagree, I think the lyrics are brilliant 

Indeed. I think these are some of the worst. But I'm still looking forward to the album. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Comrade said:

In no specific order:

Boring riff.

Uninspired lyrics, making a dull, half baked political point with all the guile of a 15 year old writing their first song.

Tinny production. 

A general tired feeling of 40 year olds desperately trying to be relevant and edgy, when really they should embrace a less youthful, more distinguished energy. 

THIS! I wrote this yesterday.

-shitty static intro that should be completely removed
-weird bridge that ruins the fast pace
-no catchy chorus
-not to mention that the riff sounds like Territorial Pissings
-lyrics make no sense

+guitar tone sounds like something from Kerplunk
+that "world war zero" scream

4/10

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Comrade said:

In no specific order:

Boring riff.

Tinny production. 

Well I can see how the song doesn't appeal to everyone especially because there is not a single song in the world that every single person loves equally.
I guess the lyrics may seem uninspired or dull to you because you either have a hard time to reflect with the lyrics or the topic just doesn't appeal to you at all, or whatever reason.

I just don't agree with your last point, saying "A general tired feeling of 40 year olds desperately trying to be relevant and edgy". I could say that you desperately feel the need to express your view on Green Day being 40-year old teenage wannabes because they aren't those 20-year olds who made Dookie, but that would be just as much bullshit. Saying that means it doesn't matter what they would release because it would always sound forced and desperately trying to sound younger except when they would sound like 50+ geezers pumping out a hoompa-loompa album because that's what old guys should do.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Sixtrix said:

I could say that you desperately feel the need to express your view on Green Day being 40-year old teenage wannabes because they aren't those 20-year olds who made Dookie, but that would be just as much bullshit. Saying that means it doesn't matter what they would release because it would always sound forced and desperately trying to sound younger except when they would sound like 50+ geezers pumping out a hoompa-loompa album because that's what old guys should do.

You could say that, but that would be implying that is what I mean. It isn't. I'm not calling them teenage wannabe's. I don't want them to take backward steps and make a Dookie-like album. Don't assume it's one or the other. 

I can see why people like the song. It's by the numbers Green Day and fans will eat that up. I adore the band, but I'm most critical of the music I love the most. It's not that I can't relate to Bang Bang, its that there is nothing to relate to. The song that sprung to mind when I heard this was Christian's Inferno. I'm (not) sorry if legitimate criticism of a song you like offends you, but criticism is just as valid as praise. As I say, I look forward to the rest of the album. Especially the introspective and love-based content. That is Green Day at their best. The politics have always been ham-fisted, hidden by occasionally sensational music and melody. Bang Bang has neither of those to hide behind, and so is exposed as remarkably average. 

• Like 2

Just want to say I too think these are some of the best lyrics Billie has ever written. He perfectly captures how these mass shooters develop a god complex as their actions are amplified by social media. Even going beyond the typical mass shooter in America (sad that I have to say that), just look at how terrorist organizations are now using social media as a means to spread fear—releasing execution videos and the like. I'm more than capable of being critical of Green Day, but this is a brilliant song in my eyes (and ears!). 

I think is very much the point Rolling Stone was trying to make when they put that Boston Marathon Bomber on their cover—whether you agree with them doing that or not, the point was that these people become as notorious as rock stars in this digitally-charged world. 

I appreciate this song because I haven't heard any songs about the gun problem in my country. They might be out there, but they're not being played on major radio stations, to my knowledge. But as an American, I've become increasingly frustrated with the fact that these shootings continue and yet so many are against getting more comprehensive gun control laws. It's probably the biggest issues I take with the U.S., so this song really just hit home for me. I'm lucky to live here for a lot of reasons, but I'm tired of having it cross my mind that I could get shot in a mall or a movie theater. It shouldn't be a regular problem, and yet it is. 

• Like 4

In no specific order:

Boring riff.

Tinny production. 

These are mostly valid points, especially the relevant and edgy parts. I still kinda hate the fact they did another song like this, but I'm thinking the rest of the material will be different.

Some of the lyrics on here are terrible, too.

29 minutes ago, Comrade said:

You could say that, but that would be implying that is what I mean. It isn't. I'm not calling them teenage wannabe's. I don't want them to take backward steps and make a Dookie-like album. Don't assume it's one or the other. 

I can see why people like the song. It's by the numbers Green Day and fans will eat that up. I adore the band, but I'm most critical of the music I love the most. It's not that I can't relate to Bang Bang, its that there is nothing to relate to. The song that sprung to mind when I heard this was Christian's Inferno. I'm (not) sorry if legitimate criticism of a song you like offends you, but criticism is just as valid as praise. As I say, I look forward to the rest of the album. Especially the introspective and love-based content. That is Green Day at their best. The politics have always been ham-fisted, hidden by occasionally sensational music and melody. Bang Bang has neither of those to hide behind, and so is exposed as remarkably average. 

Great post.

• Like 1

Bang Bang was on the hit or miss-type of poll this week on Finland's biggest rock radio station. Result is about 74% good and 26% bad. It's REALLY great result, considering that most of the listeners want Metallica, Panthera etc. Most of the polls gets results like 50/50 or little bit to one way or another, but this was clear. I think Green Day is little bit underrated here so it's awesome to see that people like their new song.

• Like 1

I'm am so ridiculously excited for this album. I'm excited to go out and buy it and play it over and over. I kinda didn't get that excitement around the trio so this time I'm totally ready for Green Day back at their best. And I love Bang Bang. I'm taking it at face value, as an angry song about a shitty situation. Fans have and will continue to constantly set their own expectations for Green Day's music. It's expected that every single song they release will either be something radically new or something alike to the Dookie era. Sometimes I think you just gotta take what comes, and appreciate that our band are still releasing music and loving it. We're kinda lucky in that respect!

• Like 3

I find it a little ironic that people complain that song X sounds like song Y when there are a ridiculous amount of songs out there, even in this genre alone. You are always going to get songs that sound like other songs, but the best thing about it is when a particular band tries to change or update their sound to make it fresh again, people complain that it sounds too different to their older material.

There really is no way to win, no matter what.

• Like 3

This here sounds more like a thought-through and clear explanation why you don't like the song. And this is something I can fully respect because it sounds honest.

And though your previous post wasn't much different per se, it was just that one line that kind of bothered me because I guess it sounded more like a random bash. No offence to you personally.

11 minutes ago, Sixtrix said:

This here sounds more like a thought-through and clear explanation why you don't like the song. And this is something I can fully respect because it sounds honest.

And though your previous post wasn't much different per se, it was just that one line that kind of bothered me because I guess it sounded more like a random bash. No offence to you personally.

No worries. I don't tend to bother expanding a point unless called to. Bad habit! 

But y'know guys, I'd not have stuck around on a Green Day forum for 8 years if I didn't like the band. I just don't like everything they do. As I say, most critical of the things I love. It's what gives value, for me. 

• Like 3