Billie Joe & Avicii, Thoughts?

kiarakoval

Dammit. Normally I'm so not into this type of music unless it's really, really catchy... and... well, it is. There's no denying that this will be a popular song among the mainstream, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. I like that he's experimenting and keeping those creative juices flowing.

This explains everything. NSYNC was so much fucking better than the BSB. To even compare the two is criminal. Every NSYNC hit is lightyears better than the BSB song that was released parallel to it.

8cff9cfda9645430f38bd6548d7a4a22bb718ca5

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How does that relate to what I said though? I am not a narrow minded idiot. I still have my Boyzone and Backstreet Boys cds and casettes from when I was a kid and even met Backstreet Boys twice and still fondly recall those memories. So I loved pop. However I would have found it weird a few years later if Green Day or any of the other rock/alternative bands I got into as I grew up decided to collaborate with the pop bands I worshiped as a child. Especially since Billie had talked about the "steady decline in music" and listed off a bunch of bands and genres including pop which he blamed for causing it. Regardless some small part of me may even be a little excited in the nostalgic side of my brain if Billie did announce a collaboration with say...BSB however it would undoubtedly turn out to be mortifying and shit. BSB are still around and I'm sure kids still enjoy them and it's all great and stuff but I got into Green Day for their MUSIC and I have no fucking clue what this Avicii crap is but it certainly shouldn't be passed off under the guise of music. I can't believe Billie put his name to this. And to think some people complained about Nightlife? What?

You seriously take Billie seriously???

This is the same guy who won't edit an album but yet wouldn't let his kids listen to unedited music...

This whole post assumes that clip is legitimate, but I don't know if it is. Anyway. as somebody who listens to a decent amount of pop and electronic-based music, the preview sounds pretty boring. I am already not a fan of Avicii and I hate that it sounds like they shoehorned in shitty acoustic guitar just because they had Billie available or something. It's just bland.

But I mean, gotta reserve full judgement for the full song in good quality.

This is the same guy who won't edit an album but yet wouldn't let his kids listen to unedited music...

Ok...what?! I mean really...what?! What an unbelievable comparison to make. Editing your own music versus stopping your very young children hearing certain songs/words in songs because they are too young...in other words responsible parenting!! Yeah Billie you are a stupid dumbass for trying to pull that one!

Ok...what?! I mean really...what?! What an unbelievable comparison to make. Editing your own music versus stopping your very young children hearing certain songs/words in songs because they are too young...in other words responsible parenting!! Yeah Billie you are a stupid dumbass for trying to pull that one!

So it's ok to put out albums with cussing for OTHER kids but not his I'm just saying...

My thing is you shouldn't take what Billie says in a interview so seriously...

People still do that? Cute.

So it's ok to put out albums with cussing for OTHER kids but not his I'm just saying...

Since when does Green Day make music for small children? Other little kids won't get to hear GD either if their parent don't let them...

Since when does Green Day make music for small children? Other little kids won't get to hear GD either if their parent don't let them...

Joey and Jacob has been to GD shows when they were younger they are hearing the cuss words so it's kind of a hypocritical to not mind kids to hear the parents to cuss but not others

Besides I was saying to st trillie to take what Billie says so seriously

I don't think Billie's sang about being frustrated with a girl since the 90s. After American Idiot he has always sang about girls in another guy's perspective.

"I wonder why I try."

This part echoes of that young Billie Joe who wrote such great songs about girls. It's great to hear the Billie from 1,039/SOSH & Kerplunk again because people have forgotten that side of him. He wasn't always yelling 1-2-3-4 and yelling anarchy and shit...

I don't think Billie's sang about being frustrated with a girl since the 90s. After American Idiot he has always sang about girls in another guy's perspective.

"I wonder why I try."

This part echoes of that young Billie Joe who wrote such great songs about girls. It's great to hear the Billie from 1,039/SOSH & Kerplunk again because people have forgotten that side of him. He wasn't always yelling 1-2-3-4 and yelling anarchy and shit...

I kind of feel like you've missed the Trilogy.

I kind of feel like you've missed the Trilogy.

Him and the rest of society.

At its core, it sounds to me like every other Avicii song, aka not the worst thing in the world to me but nothing I'd write home about. I wouldn't think twice about it if someone else sang it.

Source of him saying that?

Source of him saying that?

It was a interview during the 21st era I believe or could've been AI maybe? but when asked if he allowed his kids to listen to uncensored albums he said no said not until they were older which I was not attacking him for as I agree but when he has had his kids at GD shows it just seems weird like it's ok if I cuss in front of my kids but no one else but I wasn't using that to start a debate or anything just that can't take Billie so seriously in interviews the I don't like this song this is what he is against etc so seriously

Maybe tman knows the interview I don't really follow or keep up with them only if I see one posted and have time to read em and I may not have been verbatim but I do recall a int saying he doesn't allow the kids to have uncensored music not until they were older

It was a interview during the 21st era I believe or could've been AI maybe? but when asked if he allowed his kids to listen to uncensored albums he said no said not until they were older which I was not attacking him for as I agree but when he has had his kids at GD shows it just seems weird like it's ok if I cuss in front of my kids but no one else but I wasn't using that to start a debate or anything just that can't take Billie so seriously in interviews the I don't like this song this is what he is against etc so seriously

Maybe tman knows the interview I don't really follow or keep up with them only if I see one posted and have time to read em and I may not have been verbatim but I do recall a int saying he doesn't allow the kids to have uncensored music not until they were older

I recall him talking about his kids, but I don't remember him saying he wants to keep swearing away from them. Drugs and alchohol, yes, but that's all I remember.

Also, lyrics come from a personal and often individual place. I'm sure Billie struggles with seeing himself both as a father and an artist, so it's hard to draw the line in any particular area.

Also, why no punctuation?

Maybe he thinks it's other kids' parents' responsibility to choose what they listen to and not his? In any case this really has nothing to do with the topic.

How does that relate to what I said though? I am not a narrow minded idiot. I still have my Boyzone and Backstreet Boys cds and casettes from when I was a kid and even met Backstreet Boys twice and still fondly recall those memories. So I loved pop. However I would have found it weird a few years later if Green Day or any of the other rock/alternative bands I got into as I grew up decided to collaborate with the pop bands I worshiped as a child. Especially since Billie had talked about the "steady decline in music" and listed off a bunch of bands and genres including pop which he blamed for causing it. Regardless some small part of me may even be a little excited in the nostalgic side of my brain if Billie did announce a collaboration with say...BSB however it would undoubtedly turn out to be mortifying and shit. BSB are still around and I'm sure kids still enjoy them and it's all great and stuff but I got into Green Day for their MUSIC and I have no fucking clue what this Avicii crap is but it certainly shouldn't be passed off under the guise of music. I can't believe Billie put his name to this. And to think some people complained about Nightlife? What?

Avicii isn't the same as a boy band though, it's a different music genre and he writes/creates the music himself so there isn't really a comparison. Billie's never made comments criticizing dance music like this as far as I know, and he's never been narrow minded enough to write off all forms of pop music (dance music being pop influenced) anyway. You don't like Avicii or dance music in general or this song, that's fine, doesn't mean it isn't music or that Billie has done something wrong.

He doesn't put out albums with cursing or perhaps particularly "adult" themed ideas (if you recall he specifically did not want his own kids hearing songs like Christians Inferno and wondering what was wrong with him) FOR kids. That was his point in the letter he wrote waaay back to the whiny woman bitching that her kid was listening to Green Day tape which she found offensive. He doesn't make music for kids and it's up to parents to watch/supervise/decide what they want their under eighteens to listen or be exposed to like he does. How exactly is that contradictory? He isn't everybodys parent. And as for taking what he says seriously...you can't ignore everything he says or simply choose which words or sentences you like out of everything he has said in the past 20+ years and decide the test is bullshit. He said he hates pop music numerous times from the early 90's right up to now (hell even the night of iHeart he ranted a LOT about "pop shit"). So we decide that we can't take a word of that seriously because "oh ha it's just little 'ol Billie talking gibberish again". Well ok then...so I guess we must also assume he was never serious about wanting to.stay in Green Day until one of them dies/something about a coffin...blah...yeah yeah Billie, rubbish or Green Day being his life or the air that he breaths or all that...I mean for all we know he prefers acting right? Or hell even surfing! Doing a lot of that lately the sneaky bastard!! He definitely had that affair with Lady Cobra though...oh yessir...and hell half of NYC and Newport probably. I mean it's not as if anyone really believes him when he says anything positive about Adrienne right? Hell who even believes the dudes hashtags on IG?

He doesn't put out albums with cursing or perhaps particularly "adult" themed ideas (if you recall he specifically did not want his own kids hearing songs like Christians Inferno and wondering what was wrong with him) FOR kids. That was his point in the letter he wrote waaay back to the whiny woman bitching that her kid was listening to Green Day tape which she found offensive. He doesn't make music for kids and it's up to parents to watch/supervise/decide what they want their under eighteens to listen or be exposed to like he does. How exactly is that contradictory? He isn't everybodys parent. And as for taking what he says seriously...you can't ignore everything he says or simply choose which words or sentences you like out of everything he has said in the past 20+ years and decide the test is bullshit. He said he hates pop music numerous times from the early 90's right up to now (hell even the night of iHeart he ranted a LOT about "pop shit"). So we decide that we can't take a word of that seriously because "oh ha it's just little 'ol Billie talking gibberish again". Well ok then...so I guess we must also assume he was never serious about wanting to.stay in Green Day until one of them dies/something about a coffin...blah...yeah yeah Billie, rubbish or Green Day being his life or the air that he breaths or all that...I mean for all we know he prefers acting right? Or hell even surfing! Doing a lot of that lately the sneaky bastard!! He definitely had that affair with Lady Cobra though...oh yessir...and hell half of NYC and Newport probably. I mean it's not as if anyone really believes him when he says anything positive about Adrienne right? Hell who even believes the dudes hashtags on IG?

Agreed that it's silly to say we shouldn't take anything he says seriously, but you know there's a difference between pop music made by boy bands and dance music right? He's never said anything to rule out ever wanting to be involved with any music genre influenced by pop, slagging off pop music that he finds particularly crappy isn't the same as that.

Maybe he thinks it's other kids' parents' responsibility to choose what they listen to and not his? In any case this really has nothing to do with the topic.

Avicii isn't the same as a boy band though, it's a different music genre and he writes/creates the music himself so there isn't really a comparison. Billie's never made comments criticizing dance music like this as far as I know, and he's never been narrow minded enough to write off all forms of pop music (dance music being pop influenced) anyway. You don't like Avicii or dance music in general or this song, that's fine, doesn't mean it isn't music or that Billie has done something wrong.

Who said Billie did anything wrong? This is a shitty collaboration in my opinion (and others from what i see on facebook) and bizzare that he choose to lend his voice to what I would have previously thought he would have considered to be tripe. And as for him not being so narrow minded to consider all pop music rubbish...he may like Gaga but he has insulted so many of tje major pop acts over the years it's safe to assume he really does believe what he says himself (how dumb does that sound...) when he summed it up at iHeart for example as "you've been listening to a lot of pop shit".

I dislike most pop music. That being said, I'd love to work with mostly any musician. I'm sure Billie is interested in working with other people and trying new things.

Who said Billie did anything wrong? This is a shitty collaboration in my opinion (and others from what i see on facebook) and bizzare that he choose to lend his voice to what I would have previously thought he would have considered to be tripe. And as for him not being so narrow minded to consider all pop music rubbish...he may like Gaga but he has insulted so many of tje major pop acts over the years it's safe to assume he really does believe what he says himself (how dumb does that sound...) when he summed it up at iHeart for example as "you've been listening to a lot of pop shit".

Again, it's no issue if you think it's shitty but I don't really see why you'd think it's a given that Billie would've previously thought it's shitty or that it's bizarre that he'd do it. Avicii isn't a "major pop act" he's a major dance act. Billie has slagged off certain types of pop and certain pop acts but not written off all music that could possibly fall under the umbrella of pop (such as a dance track like this).

Agreed that it's silly to say we shouldn't take anything he says seriously, but you know there's a difference between pop music made by boy bands and dance music right? He's never said anything to rule out ever wanting to be involved with any music genre influenced by pop, slagging off pop music that he finds particularly crappy isn't the same as that.

Sorry I replied before noticing this post lol...but yeah basically what I said above. I'm more suprised that somebody who hates pop music as he claims to would then lend his voice to a song like this which frankly has a lot of similar qualities to the likes of modern day backstreet boys for example whom I'm sure Billie would still rather peel off his own face than even listen to. In fact his voice on this sounds weirdly similar to that of Nick Carters from the Backstreet Boys I shit you not. I youtubed some of their newish stuff a few hours ago and guess what? It sounds creepishly like this. (for anyone curious as to the supposed differences between pop/boyband or dance youtube it yourself...ew). Basically I'm suprised Billie would be involved in something which is frankly of such poor quality...it's like I would have understood it had it happened before rehab and all but now it's like where is your head at? (sorry but really)

Sorry I replied before noticing this post lol...but yeah basically what I said above. I'm more suprised that somebody who hates pop music as he claims to would then lend his voice to a song like this which frankly has a lot of similar qualities to the likes of modern day backstreet boys for example whom I'm sure Billie would still rather peel off his own face than even listen to. In fact his voice on this sounds weirdly similar to that of Nick Carters from the Backstreet Boys I shit you not. I youtubed some of their newish stuff a few hours ago and guess what? It sounds creepishly like this. (for anyone curious as to the supposed differences between pop/boyband or dance youtube it yourself...ew). Basically I'm suprised Billie would be involved in something which is frankly of such poor quality...it's like I would have understood it had it happened before rehab and all but now it's like where is your head at? (sorry but really)

He hasn't ever claimed to hate all pop music of any kind. That's the crux of it. Yeah he's slagged off boy bands and pop music he considers shitty over the years but that isn't the same as writing off the whole genre (which this dance song is only loosely based in anyway). He's slagged off plenty of rock bands and types of rock music as well, doesn't mean he hates all rock music. You can think there's no difference between pure boy band pop music and dance music if you want but doesn't mean Billie agrees, I imagine if he considered this type of music to be a type that he hated he wouldn't involve himself in it.

He hasn't ever claimed to hate all pop music of any kind. That's the crux of it. Yeah he's slagged off boy bands and pop music he considers shitty over the years but that isn't the same as writing off the whole genre (which this dance song is only loosely based in anyway). He's slagged off plenty of rock bands and types of rock music as well, doesn't mean he hates all rock music. You can think there's no difference between pure boy band pop music and dance music if you want but doesn't mean Billie agrees.

He has bitched about lots of pop music over the years naming individuals and bands and just pop music in general for causing the decline in music quality. My main point however is now Billie has sang on this little beauty that would easily fit on any album by the artists he so wonderfully hates for causing the "steady decline in music". Both musically and most certainly lyrically this would fit on a BSB record. Call it dance, call it pop...it's mortifying to hear Billie's voice on it.

I've just scrolled through a timeline of comments like "omg I'm boycotting Green Day!!" and "1994 Billie would kill himself with me!" and I get thinking "wow, this is shit, I'm annoyed Billie has spent time on it" but I just don't see how it affects Green Day or how you feel about them/Billie at all. He isn't going back on anything he's said or contradicting himself, it's fans that have projected their images of "punk" (or whatever) onto him based on their own opinions and loose comments he's made over the years. Sure, the Billie of 1994 probably would have disapproved but that was 20 years ago and it's a bit silly to think he won't have changed or become more open minded.

Archived