Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

On 2/28/2023 at 1:21 AM, That Dude said:

We’ve heard enough of the first eight Green Day records.   This is what Green Day Live 2023 should be:

1.        BANG BANG

2.        Meet Me On the Roof

3.        X-Kid

4.        Holy Toledo

5.        Father of All

6.        Rock N Roll All Nite

7.       Dreaming

8.       The Simpsons Theme

9.        Last of the American Girls

10.    When It’s Time

11.    Revolution Radio

12.    Back in the USA

13.    Pollyanna

14.    Oh Yeah!

15.    Let Yourself Go

16.    Kill the DJ

17.    Working Class Hero

18.   Oh Love

19.   Know Your Enemy

20.    Still Breathing

21.    The Saints Are Coming

Totally understand where your coming from. Love your setlist. And you mirror what many said of the setlist at Innings Festival. Time to move on.

As long as I can occasionally reminisce. The awesome collection on here of past live shows on dvd. Having been there brings back happy memories. 

2 hours ago, Miko said:

So many random Trilogy thoughts in my head.

Take a look of this legendary setlist from Webster Hall 2011:

What makes me extremely curious about this setlist is that this setlist says Hybrid Moments was played as 9th, which seems odd when you look the video from it. From it you can clearly see how Billie's facepaint is coming off and how he is extremely sweaty at this point already. Billie Joe sweats a lot, but in 2011 it was very uncommon for him to sweat that much after playing few songs. Sure, it's a club show, but footage from Red 7 shows how he is still looking dam fine after playing 16 songs.

Because I'm really familiar with Cuatro due to watching it way too many times, I decided to go check footage from Makeout Party (listed as 15th song). Notice how his facepaint looks almost the same as in Hybrid Moments.

https://imgur.com/wOlDpTW

Alright, sure. His makeup could look exactly the same after 6 song gap (roughly over 20 minutes later if setlist before that would be correct). Still, a person who uploaded Hybrid Moments also uploaded Hitchin'a Ride! How does Billie Joe's makeup look during Hitchin' a Ride (listed as 23rd song)?

https://imgur.com/v2TpedQ

Strange, isn't it? It looks identical! To make sure Billie Joe's facepaint wasn't fucked up in the beginning of show, here is his beautiful face during Let Yourself Go.

https://imgur.com/fXJ57Tg

Billie Joe proudly announced how they're gonna play all the fucking brand new songs tonight and in that footage you can see how his facepaint is wearing out. Problem with this footage is that it's impossible to tell when exactly Billie Joe was giving this speech, but since he wasn't playing guitar on next song (footage shows 2 guitarists next to Billie) and he wasn't playing guitar on Makeout Party, I'm pretty sure this speech was given before it.

https://imgur.com/K9OS78q

Not that it matters, but during She (listed as 25th), his right side is still very clean compared to the left side. Sadly, left side is not visible on the footage, so we can't figure anything out from this; not even the guitar Billie is playing here (I swear I saw in one frame him having Gibson Les Paul which he also uses on Hybrid Moments, but footage is too shaky)

https://imgur.com/Qz0LOYl

CONCLUSION: Due to limited footage available and this show in general having confusion of whether or not Dirty Rotten Bastards was actually played in this show, I'm gonna go with theory that a claim that Hybrid Moments was played after Hitchin' a Ride (23rd on setlist) during encore section. It couldn't be played before Hitchin' a Ride due to Letterbomb's ending being in Hitchin' a Ride video, so I'm gonna go with after. I could be wrong (and odds are that I am indeed wrong) but it was fun to analyze the footage.

Speaking of analyzations and assumptions..

WAS DIRTY ROTTEN BASTARDS PLAYED IN WEBSTER HALL? I'm gonna go with simple no as answer. I can't prove it, but I can explain why I think it wasn't. Green Day has released a lot of footage from these secret shows through various ways (documentary, teasers, those making album clips and so on) and in Cuatro's case, they showcased a lots of live footage of Trilogy songs that have not been released in full.

Here is the list of songs that have been proven to be played through Cuatro:

- Nuclear Family (Tiki Bar)
- Wow! That's Loud (Tiki Bar and Red 7)
- Fuck Time (Tiki Bar)
- Makeout Party (Webster Hall)
- Stop When the Red Lights Flash (Red 7)
- Loss of Control (Webster Hall)
- Let Yourself Go (Webster Hall)
- Stay the Night (Echoplex)
- Oh Love (Red 7)
- Lazy Bones (1-2-3-4 Go! Records)
- Kill the DJ (Echoplex)

And here is the list of songs that have been proven to be actually performed live:

- Carpe Diem (Red 7)
- Stray Heart (Tiki Bar and Red 7)
- Amanda (Red 7)
- Amy (Tiki Bar)
- Troublemaker (Shibuya)
- Wild One (Echoplex)
- 8th Avenue Serenade (Echoplex)
- Drama Queen (Madison Square Garden)
- 99 Revolutions (Irving Plaza)
- Rusty James (Colisée Pepsi)
- A Little Boy Named Train (Tiki Bar)
- Brutal Love (Rock the Beach)
- Fell For You (Webster Hall)
- Angel Blue (Shibuya)
- X-Kid (Rock im Park)
- Walk Away (Leeds)
- Missing You (Emirates Stadium)

So that leaves us with songs that have zero proof of actually being played live:

- Nightlife (N/A)
- The Forgotten (N/A)
- See You Tonight (N/A)
- Baby Eyes (N/A)
- Sex, Drugs & Violence (N/A)
- Dirty Rotten Bastards (Webster Hall)
- Sweet 16 (Tiki Bar/1-2-3-4 Go! Records/Webster Hall)
- Ashley (Tiki Bar/1-2-3-4 Go! Records)
- Gabriella (Tiki Bar)
- State of Shock (Tiki Bar)

Nightlife/Forgotten/SYT were never meant to be songs that were actually performed live, so we can skip those. I'm 100 % sure Sweet 16 and Ashley were both played, but both of those songs were played in shows where people didn't film that much (and were both smaller than Webster Hall) and Cuatro annoyingly didn't include any footage from those songs and IIRC didn't even play them at all. Gabriella and State of Shock share the same fate. This leaves us with Baby Eyes, Sex, Drugs & Violence and Dirty Rotten Bastards.

I'm actually amazed that Baby Eyes has never been performed live. Not even a riff of it has been played. It was included in Demolicous and clearly they liked it enough to include in Dos! but for whatever reason they never played it live. I guess they deemed it as too weak or whatever, but even Ashley was done live. Interesting stuff.

Same confusion can be shared with Sex, Drugs and Violence. They played it before/after Webster Hall and it's a catchy tune, but I guess Mike really didn't want to sing that jesus line live.

Dirty Rotten Bastards was on written setlist that was also posted on internet, but this leaves me with a question. Dirty Rotten Bastards was heavily included in Cuatro! (two times, which only Wow! That's Loud beats with 3 times); surely they would have included even a small clip of them actually playing it live? They had this beautiful dynamic of showing these songs being made in their practice room and then actually playing it live (Oh Love was beautifully done this way) so surely DRB would've received the same treatment? It's over a 6 minute song. No short audio clips, nothing in Cuatro, nothing in Tre! announcement teaser, nothing ever since.

What do you think, was DRB played live? Was Hybrid Moments actually played as 9th song on Webster Hall?

I bet Mike not wanting to sing that line is why Green Day are breaking up.

Man, we need all the Trilogy and foam tracks performed live.  And the few RevRad songs they haven't done either.

Back in early '90s, most of the technology we have today was either in its early stages or did not exist. No smart phones, laptops, tablets. No way to stream or download music, no social media, and no internet at we know it now. 

So other than records and the music press, what was available globally to communicate music? MTV. The music video was the in thing for bands to present their music visually to get noticed. Following the tragic and sad loss of Kurt Cobain, there was a sort of music vacuum, and Grunge was getting tiresome. There were many bands around making music videos. A was well into The Offspring at the time and their videos. With the release of Dookie, the first music video I saw from them was Longview. The GD lyrics to live by, now visually presented as a story, came alive, even became reality and you lived it even more. This was new, this was attitude. And the ending, where Billie Joe trashed the couch, and shredded it with a knife, this was punk. And that's what you wanted to be.

GD has made loads of music videos, I've downloaded around 70 videos, but not sure if that's complete. Today they still tell a story but are much more elaborate. 

So, my question is, do you have any interest in GD music videos, and if so, which is your favourite. It's as difficult choosing a GD video as choosing a favourite GD song.

For me although Longview is special coz it was my first. I'd go for 21st Century Breakdown. I think it won an award, not sure. An amazing video.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Miko said:

So that leaves us with songs that have zero proof of actually being played live:

- Nightlife (N/A)
- The Forgotten (N/A)
- See You Tonight (N/A)
- Baby Eyes (N/A)
- Sex, Drugs & Violence (N/A)
- Dirty Rotten Bastards (Webster Hall)
- Sweet 16 (Tiki Bar/1-2-3-4 Go! Records/Webster Hall)
- Ashley (Tiki Bar/1-2-3-4 Go! Records)
- Gabriella (Tiki Bar)
- State of Shock (Tiki Bar)

There is poor quality audio of Sweet 16 from the Tiki Bar. I’ve got a similar quality recording of State of Shock on my PC which I think was from the same show, but I can’t find it on YouTube at the moment (it was mislabelled as Crushing Bastards but I can’t remember if that was my mistake or the uploaders’).

As an aside I seem to remember Hybrid Moments being played a number of times at the Halloween show which may answer your question - a GDA update says it was played three times.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pcj said:

Back in early '90s, most of the technology we have today was either in its early stages or did not exist. No smart phones, laptops, tablets. No way to stream or download music, no social media, and no internet at we know it now. 

So other than records and the music press, what was available globally to communicate music? MTV. The music video was the in thing for bands to present their music visually to get noticed. Following the tragic and sad loss of Kurt Cobain, there was a sort of music vacuum, and Grunge was getting tiresome. There were many bands around making music videos. A was well into The Offspring at the time and their videos. With the release of Dookie, the first music video I saw from them was Longview. The GD lyrics to live by, now visually presented as a story, came alive, even became reality and you lived it even more. This was new, this was attitude. And the ending, where Billie Joe trashed the couch, and shredded it with a knife, this was punk. And that's what you wanted to be.

GD has made loads of music videos, I've downloaded around 70 videos, but not sure if that's complete. Today they still tell a story but are much more elaborate. 

So, my question is, do you have any interest in GD music videos, and if so, which is your favourite. It's as difficult choosing a GD video as choosing a favourite GD song.

For me although Longview is special coz it was my first. I'd go for 21st Century Breakdown. I think it won an award, not sure. An amazing video.

I know there was lots of love for the AI video and it’s a great video, but I agree re 21 CBD, it’s amazing and felt really different and ground breaking at the time.

• Like 3

On 2/28/2023 at 3:41 PM, Miko said:

Random Green Day live performance thoughts are random.

This is the best live performance of She in E Standard. Shibuya performance from the same year comes close thanks to the solo Billie Joe added to it (press this if you haven't heard it yet) but I still prefer Reading's high energy.

Murder City with Billie's own intro and in Eb Standard was much better than album version or other E Standard performances.

If you're tipsy and happen to be in concert, this is the best song Green Day has ever produced and nothing else comes even close to it.

I absolutely loved it when Stop when the red lights flash was played live ❤️

It was fantastic at the Emirates gig. The whole show is here (and I definitely need to watch it again!) 

6 hours ago, pcj said:

Honestly not sure which is my fave GD video. Will have to come back to you on that one 

Maybe this Murder City official video but then maybe I'm biased because it was filmed in the UK :lol: Also not a standalone single

• Like 1
  • Love 2

13 hours ago, gnash said:

There is poor quality audio of Sweet 16 from the Tiki Bar. I’ve got a similar quality recording of State of Shock on my PC which I think was from the same show, but I can’t find it on YouTube at the moment (it was mislabelled as Crushing Bastards but I can’t remember if that was my mistake or the uploaders’).

As an aside I seem to remember Hybrid Moments being played a number of times at the Halloween show which may answer your question - a GDA update says it was played three times.

Sweet, I was looking for Sweet 16 live performances from everywhere but I just couldn't find it. Glad that some proof actually exists!

They played Hybrid Moments three times in Red 7 and footage of those performances do exist; I believe you're referring to that. Webster Hall was a sober show from Green Day so I doubt they actually played it several times.

4 hours ago, Miko said:

Sweet, I was looking for Sweet 16 live performances from everywhere but I just couldn't find it. Glad that some proof actually exists!

They played Hybrid Moments three times in Red 7 and footage of those performances do exist; I believe you're referring to that. Webster Hall was a sober show from Green Day so I doubt they actually played it several times.

GDA seems fairly sure it was played multiple times as does my own memory - I remember seeing the videos at the time and BJA singing the chorus slightly differently between renditions 

https://www.greendayauthority.com/news/2742/

https://www.greendayauthority.com/tour/show/156/

On 3/2/2023 at 11:18 AM, That Dude said:

Green Day are breaking up.

Since when?  If they do... they already stated they'd all shoot each other and if they did that I'd be dead because Billie would be dead.     Pollyanna seems to me as the start of something incredibly good.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HoneyEmerald said:

Since when?  If they do... they already stated they'd all shoot each other and if they did that I'd be dead because Billie would be dead.     Pollyanna seems to me as the start of something incredibly good.   

They clip I tried to link doesn't go to the right place for some reason, but there is a video of Billie Joe from their recent show saying "we're breaking up".    

He may have been joking, may have been dead butt serious.   

Dunno. 

I've only just realised that Foamf came out over 3 years ago. :mellow: Like, I know the world kinda stopped with COVID, but seriously, where did all that time go? I was just thinking how strange it is that we have the 1972 speculation thread and are expecting an album soon because on average GD tend to release an album every 3-4 years so we've probably got another 2-3 years to wait, right? Wrong! How the fuck is it 2023?!?

I swear the time between RevRad and Foamf didn't go this quick

• Like 3

I wonder if I will ever find an old video of Mike Dirnt in a kitchen making a sandwich that turns out to be for Billie who is writing in a closet after he hands it off to a grouchy female in a black and white dress. 

• Confused 1

It's Green Day related in a round about way...

The last remaining original member of Lynyrd Skynrd has passed away.  

First, Neil Young wrote Southern Man.   Then the Freebird gang wrote a response to that song with Sweet Home Alabama.    

And THEN Billie Joe heard That's How I Like It by Skynyrd and wrote American Idiot in response to THAT song. 

THEN, Brandon Flowers of The Killers got all offended that Green Day had British people singing such "calculated anti-American sentiments" 

and art inspires art inspire art inspires art inspires art or something.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

How the hell am I supposed to get today's Kerplunkle when it gives me every Green Day result, yet not the song it actually is?

3 hours ago, The Grohl said:

How the hell am I supposed to get today's Kerplunkle when it gives me every Green Day result, yet not the song it actually is?

I gave up ages ago, either the song wasn’t available or the answer was wrong.

Just now, jengd said:

I gave up ages ago, either the song wasn’t available or the answer was wrong.

I finally got it after about 10 refreshes :thumbsdown:

On 3/16/2023 at 12:11 PM, The Grohl said:

I finally got it after about 10 refreshes :thumbsdown:

Woo hoo, it's back! I gave up months ago when it stopped working. Now if only the Muse one would start working again.

• Like 2

On 3/2/2023 at 12:40 PM, pcj said:

God Billie was so beautiful in the 21CB music video. Especially the part at the end during the sunrise. Ughhhhh!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Slave To The Network said:

God Billie was so beautiful in the 21CB music video. Especially the part at the end during the sunrise. Ughhhhh!

Yeah that sunrise shot woke something up in me

• Love 3

Came across this list suggesting GD have written 228 songs. Haven't checked it in detail yet, for errors etc, just wanted to share.

Songs written by Green Day (click spoiler for list):

Spoiler

¡Viva La Gloria!

¿Viva La Gloria? [Little Girl]

1,000 Hours

2,000 Light Years Away

21 Guns

21st Century Breakdown

409 In Your Coffee Maker

8th Avenue Serenade

99 Revolutions

A Little Boy Named Train

All By Myself

All the Time

Amanda

American Eulogy

American Idiot

Amy

Android

Angel Blue

Are We The Waiting

Armitage Shanks

Ashley

At The Library

Bab's Uvula Who?

Baby Eyes

Back in the USA

Bang Bang

Basket Case

Before The Lobotomy

Best Thing In Town

Blood, Sex & Booze

Boulevard Of Broken Dreams

Bouncing Off the Wall

Brain Stew / Jaded

Brain Stew The Godzilla Remix

Brat

Break A Leg

Brown Eyed Girl

Brutal Love

Burnout

C Yo Yus

Carpe Diem

Castaway

Christian's Inferno

Christie Road

Chump

Church On Sunday

Cigarettes And Valentines - Live

City Of The Damned

Coming Clean

Dead Beat

Deadbeat Holiday

Dearly Beloved

Desensitized

Dirty Rotten Bastards

Disappearing Boy

Do Da Da

Dominated Love Slave

Don't Leave Me

Don't Want To Fall In Love

Drama Queen

Dream Catcher

Dry Ice

East 12th Street

East Jesus Nowhere

Emenius Sleepus

Espionage

Extraordinary Girl

Fuck Time

F.O.D. (Fuck Off and Die)

Fashion Victim

Favorite Son

Feel for You

Forever Now

Geek Stink Breath

Give Me Novacaine

Going To Pasalacqua

Good Riddance - Time Of Your Life Live

Governator

Green Day

Ha Ha You're Dead

Haushinka

Having a Blast

Heart like a Hand Grenade

Hearts Collide

Hitchin' A Ride

Hold On

Holiday

Homecoming

Horseshoes & Handgrenades

I Don't Care

I Don't Wanna Fall In Love

I Fought the Law

I Want To Be Alone

I Want to Be on T.V.

I Was There

I'll be There

In the End

J.A.R. (Jason Andrew Relva)

Jackass

Jaded

Jesus of Suburbia

Jinx

Kill The DJ

King for a Day

Know Your Enemy

Knowledge

Lady Cobra

Last Night On Earth

Last Of The American Girls

Last Ride In

Lazy Bones

Let Yourself Go

Letterbomb

Life During Wartime

Lights Out

Like a Rat Does Cheese

Little Boy Named Train

Longview

Loss of Control

Macy’s Day Parade

Makeout Party

Maria

Mass Hysteria

Mechanical Man

Minority

Misery

Missing You

Modern World

Murder City

Nice Guys Finish Last

Nightlife

No One Knows

No Pride

Nuclear Family

Oh Love

Olivia

On The Wagon

One for the Razorbacks

One of My Lies

Only Of You

Ordinary World

Outlaws

Outsider

Panic Song

Paper Lanterns

Peacemaker

Platypus (I Hate You)

Poprocks and Coke

Private Ale

Prosthetic Head

Pulling Teeth

Redundant

Reject

Rest

Restless Heart Syndrome

Revolution Radio

Road To Acceptance

Rock And Roll Girlfriend

Rock You Like a Hurricane

Rotting

Rusty James

Sassafras Roots

Say Goodbye

Scattered

Scumbag

See The Light

See You Tonight

Sex, Drugs & Violence

She

She’s a Rebel

Shoplifter

Sick of Me

Somewhere Now

Song Of The Century

St. Jimmy

Static Age

Stay the Night

Still Breathing

Stop When the Red Lights Flash

Strangleland

Stray Heart

Stuck With Me

Suffocate

Sweet 16

Sweet Children

Take Back

Tales Of Another Broken Home

The Angel And The Jerk

The Ballad Of Wilhelm Fink

The Forgotten

The Grouch

The Judge’s Daughter

The One I Want

The Static Age

Tight Wad Hill

Too Dumb to Die

Too Much Too Soon

Troubled Times

Troublemaker

Uptight

Waiting

Wake Me Up When September Ends

Walk Away

Walking Alone

Walking Contradiction

Warning

We Are the Waiting

Welcome To Paradise

Were Coming Home Again

Westbound Sign

Whatsername

When I Come Around

When It’s Time

Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?

Why Do You Want Him?

Wild One

Words I Might Have Ate

Worry Rock

Wow! That’s Loud

X-Kid

Xmas Time Of The Year

You Lied

Youngblood.

TOTAL - 226 revised 4/3/23

• Like 3
  • Surprised 1

36 minutes ago, jengd said:

My son found this, weird!

That's sick! I want to hear an entire album just like this now!

• Like 2

• Liam unpinned this topic