Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

11 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

That’s really cool. I’m sure the Hella Mega tour boosted their numbers a bit, playing their hits night after night to millions of potential new fans. We may hate it but it does make a difference. They are also one of those rare aging bands that still gains young fans every year, new kids are always discovering them and their shows continue to be all ages. That’s unusual for a band of guys in their fifties that haven’t had a hit in many years. I go see other older acts and their audience is aging with them, there are no new young fans. Green Day is an anomaly. It’s like they will always be synonymous with teenage rebellion for any generation 

The only other band that comes to mind like this is The Cure. They haven't released a new album in over 10 years yet they are a band that new generations keep discovering. And their shows span fans of all generations which is super cool.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Grohl said:

The only other band that comes to mind like this is The Cure. They haven't released a new album in over 10 years yet they are a band that new generations keep discovering. And their shows span fans of all generations which is super cool.

A very good friend of mine lives down my street. His 10 year old son loves playing his guitar. His fav album is Dookie and tries to play along to each song and knows the lyrics by heart. His hero is Billie Joe, and can't wait to see GD live for the first time when they next visit UK. 

Also, Kerplunk is one of the biggest selling indie albums of all time. Over 4m sold to date.

Need I say more. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, pcj said:

A very good friend of mine lives down my street. His 10 year old son loves playing his guitar. His fav album is Dookie and tries to play along to each song and knows the lyrics by heart. His hero is Billie Joe, and can't wait to see GD live for the first time when they next visit UK. 

Also, Kerplunk is one of the biggest selling indie albums of all time. Over 4m sold to date.

Need I say more. 

Right...I'm not disagreeing with you. It's clear Green Day spans generations. I'm just saying The Cure is the only other band I know who does this consistently. 

• Like 2

Love Devil's Kind...that was the good ole days when Billie used to interact with us.

• Love 3

On 5/26/2023 at 8:36 PM, Vintage Disciple said:

Okay, so in the last two days, I have seen more cars with license plates that begin with BJ then I have ever seen in my LIFE!  Obviously this means that 1972 is being released soon!  😂

And with Billie reactivating I think my theory has been confirmed!  Also still seeing BJ plates!

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 3:12 PM, Vintage Disciple said:

And with Billie reactivating I think my theory has been confirmed!  Also still seeing BJ plates!

I'd love a personalised number plate. Here in UK you have to include 2 numbers to represent year manufacturer. With 2 letters before and 3 letters after.

Unfortunately the DVLA said no. I wanted

BJ15GDY 🙁

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Speak Now (Taylor's Version) featuring Fall Out Boy and Hayley Williams.

I wonder how Bad Blood with Green Day would sound.

• Like 2

I've ranked every Green Day song in a tier list fashion.   Keep in mind that I love even my least favorite green day song.   Here's the number of songs in each tier and I'll share the whole project once it's completed: 

227 Green Day songs. 

30 in D Tier

44 in C Tier

40 in B Tier

32 in A Tier

81 in S Tier 

• Like 1

I love the Trilogy to be upfront but I am curious what you all think about these lyrics...

Walking after dark
In the New York City park
Your thoughts are so unholy in the holiest of holes
Onward Christian soldiers filled with jive and mind-control

I've read many conflicting interpretations and am curious what you all take from them.   In particular, "Your thoughts are so unholy in the holiest of holes".  

P!nk played two shows in my city over the weekend so I was googling the setlists to see what she played and I remembered she played here at the same venue about a decade ago so I decided to google her setlist back then too - turns out she'd brought Butch Walker on stage to perform a few covers with her, including Basket Case. So then I found out he'd produced 3 of her albums around that time so has obviously worked with her a lot, and now it makes so much more sense to me why OEB uses the So What riff, especially if it's from the foamf sessions. I'm guessing Walker had a lot more influence on that record than I initially thought tbh.

• Like 3

Here's some teasers from my ranking of every green day song ever in tier list format.    Not spoiling any of my hot takes here, but I get pretty crazy.   Hope to have the full video in the next couple of days.  

D Tier:   State of Shock

C Tier:  Wild One

B Tier:   Walking Contradiction

A Tier:  Uptight

S Tier:   Letterbomb 

Ticket transparency, but still a rip off?

Ticketmaster, Others Agree to All-In Pricing as White House Cracks Down on Hidden Junk Fees

President Joe Biden meets with ticketing companies and venue owners Thursday to make "honest, transparent pricing" the industry standard

Ticketmaster (owned by Live Nation), SeatGeek and other ticketing companies have agreed to institute all-in pricing in response to the White House’s crackdown on hidden junk fees.

On Thursday, President Joe Biden will meet with representatives from the ticketing industry and venue owners — including the CEOs of SeatGeek, TickPick and others as well as the president of Live Nation Venues — in an effort to bring “honest, transparent pricing” to the ticket-buying experience.

The good news for consumers is that, in the near future, when they purchase tickets, they’ll no longer be surprised by additional fees at checkout, which became a point of contention among millions of frustrated Taylor Swift fans. The bad news is that those “junk fees” will still exist, but now they’ll be included within the all-in pricing at the onset.

Live Nation Entertainment, which owns both Ticketmaster and concert promotion giant Live Nation has agreed that starting September, Live Nation’s 200 venues will commit to all-in pricing. Venues that Live Nation doesn’t own and operate have to opt in for the pricing policy. SeatGeek said that it would “roll-out product features over the course of the summer to make it easier for its millions of customers to shop on the basis of all-in price.”

Live Nation’s commitment comes at a time of renewed scrutiny and frustration toward the company. A disastrous on-sale for Taylor Swift’s Eras tour put Live Nation and the ticketing business itself back into prominent conversation. The company was grilled for hours during a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing earlier this year and faces an investigation from the Department of Justice regarding claims that it operates as a monopoly. Live Nation has repeatedly denied those claims. Fans meanwhile have continued to bemoan Ticketmaster and its prices and fees after nearly every major event’s on-sale. Prior to the all-in pricing announcement, Live Nation had been pushing for legislation through its FAIR Ticketing Act, which looks to turn focus beyond just gripes toward itself and instead toward the resale and scalping market.

Biden has previously called upon Congress to pass legislation — which he dubbed the Junk Fee Protection Act — banning hidden junk fees. But until then, it’s up to the companies to take their own action.

“Today, Live Nation is committing to roll out an upfront all-in pricing experience in September showing just one clear, total price for more than 30 million fans who attend shows at the more than 200 Live Nation-owned venues and festivals across the country,” the White House said in their announcement. “Ticketmaster will also add a feature to give consumers the option to receive all-in upfront pricing for all other tickets sold on the platform.”

Ticketing companies have supported all-in pricing policies in the past, but only if mandated by law. Without all-in pricing being required, companies have said, those who don’t opt for the more transparent pricing will look cheaper than their competitors. Some states like New York have already passed laws requiring all-in pricing. Senators Ted Cruz and Maria Cantwell recently introduced a new bill that would require all-in pricing on a federal level.

It’s not just the ticketing industry where the Biden administration is targeting hidden junk fees: The president’s council Thursday will also include the CEO of Airbnb, which recently adopted “fee-inclusive pricing.”

“Today’s voluntary actions demonstrate that companies both big and small recognize the importance of providing consumers with honest, up-front all-in pricing, rather than tricking them with surprise fees at the end of checkout,” the White House added. “It is also just a first step towards addressing junk fees in the economy. The President continues to call on Congress to pass legislation that mandates up-front all-in pricing for all ticket sellers, bans surprise ‘resort fees,’ eliminates early termination fees charged by cable, internet, and cellphone companies, and bans family seating fees.”

“President Biden has been working to lower costs for hardworking families by bringing down inflation, capping insulin prices for seniors, and eliminating hidden junk fees,” National Economic Council Director Lael Brainard added in a statement. “More companies are heeding the President’s call so that Americans know what they’re paying for up front and can save money as a result.”

www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/live-nation-ticketmaster-junk-fees-biden-white-house-1234772174/

• Like 2

That was awesome!  I half expected Lenny Bruce to come out and sing with her!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been looking at setlists a lot.   We all like to complain about how Green Day's set is frozen in time and how it's getting old.    

But is there anyone here on the opposite end of this spectrum?   Someone that would get upset if Longview, Basketcase, or She were removed from the set?   I had this idea that maybe the band want to change things up, but they know about these people.   And these people would riot and rage and destroy the world if Basketcase isn't played.     Poor Billie.   While he was very intoxicated at iHeartradio, there was truth to that moment.   Basketcase.  Basketcase.   Basketcase.  Basketcase.  Basketcase.  Basketcase.   

• Liam unpinned this topic