1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

2 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

I think Art of the Deal With the Devil was simply retitled Take The Money and Crawl. It’s obvious Bulletproof Backpack became Oh Yeah, based on the lyric, “Burning books in a bulletproof backpack!”

I don't really think so. I think Art of the Deal with the Devil got swapped out for Take the Money and Crawl. It wouldn't make sense to me for it to be the same song, as the title "Art of the Deal with the Devil" has no relation to the song. I don't see Take the Money and Crawl as being about Trump but rather about Billie telling off Warner (and Billie telling Warner to suck his cock makes me way too happy LOL). There just isn't the same link there like there is with Oh Yeah/Bulletproof Backpack.

1 hour ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Covid - I think many artists are going to be writing about covid during the next couple years. I mean, what can Billie say about the pandemic that he or others haven't already said

BLM - BLM inspired the title track on RevRad and Graffitia talks about black kids getting shot by cops. Not saying he can't write about BLM more but it would have to be written differently as to not sound repetitive

The Election - Well since it was Biden and not Trump that won the election, idk if I see this happening. Obviously the democrats aren't good either, but I don't see Billie writing a song about Joe Biden, and since Trump is out of office, another song about him seems redundant

There are still a lot of other issues underlying these issues though. We are in a bad place where everyone is not only mentally and perhaps also physically ravaged by a pandemic, but living in a society that is so deeply divided that no one knows who among there fellow citizens they can actually trust, and the society itself is barely functioning and under threat of destruction from a good number of those citizens. It's "Troubled Times" but now on steroids. So yeah, I think there is a lot under the surface that he can say that has not yet been said. 

13 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Covid - I think many artists are going to be writing about covid during the next couple years. I mean, what can Billie say about the pandemic that he or others haven't already said

BLM - BLM inspired the title track on RevRad and Graffitia talks about black kids getting shot by cops. Not saying he can't write about BLM more but it would have to be written differently as to not sound repetitive

The Election - Well since it was Biden and not Trump that won the election, idk if I see this happening. Obviously the democrats aren't good either, but I don't see Billie writing a song about Joe Biden, and since Trump is out of office, another song about him seems redundant

Here’s my idea, the 2 main characters, a boyfriend and girlfriend have opposing political views, which leads them to break up. He gets the vaccine, she does not. He brags how much better his life is without her. That is, until she catches Covid and dies. Then he realizes how much she meant to him. Billie, if you’re reading this, take notes!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Here’s my idea, the 2 main characters, a boyfriend and girlfriend have opposing political views, which leads them to break up. He gets the vaccine, she does not. He brags how much better his life is without her. That is, until she catches Covid and dies. Then he realizes how much she meant to him. Billie, if you’re reading this, take notes!

This might actually work as a rock opera LOL. If anyone can make it work, it would be Billie.

17 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Uhh idk if I like that idea... I mean, I think it might sort of depend how it's told but idk if I see a story like that working. I'd imagine if Billie were to write a concept around covid, I'd imagine it would be a story about how "someone catches covid, gets really sick, gets really lonely & depressed in isolation, can't work cause of covid, gets into debt, gets no assistance from the government" and then he would go on to criticise the government and leadership for not giving the assistance to people who need it. It may branch off into other issues like the vaccine, anti-vaxxers/anti-maskers, right-wing politicians anti-vax rhetoric and downplaying covid

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Uhh idk if I like that idea... I mean, I think it might sort of depend how it's told but idk if I see a story like that working. I'd imagine if Billie were to right a concept around covid, I'd imagine it would be a story about how "someone catches covid, gets really sick, gets really lonely in isolation, can't work cause of covid, gets into debt, gets no assistance from the government" and then he would go on to criticise the government and leadership for not giving the assistance to people who need it. It may branch off into other issues like the vaccine, anti-vaxxers/anti-maskers, right-wing politicians anti-vax rhetoric and downplaying covid

I actually like your idea better!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Uhh idk if I like that idea... I mean, I think it might sort of depend how it's told but idk if I see a story like that working. I'd imagine if Billie were to write a concept around covid, I'd imagine it would be a story about how "someone catches covid, gets really sick, gets really lonely & depressed in isolation, can't work cause of covid, gets into debt, gets no assistance from the government" and then he would go on to criticise the government and leadership for not giving the assistance to people who need it. It may branch off into other issues like the vaccine, anti-vaxxers/anti-maskers, right-wing politicians anti-vax rhetoric and downplaying covid

I like this better too. :) 

2 hours ago, That Dude said:

I know everybody loves the old days, but I'm a weird who thinks who thinks the new stuff is better.

Green Day always bring a different vibe with each era and this shall be yet another new sound.

I'd love to hear them say they are starting from scratch. 

in the ashes of Green Day 89-2021. 

If you'll excuse me, I'm still trying to get spotify to understand how much I love Green Day. 

I don't know how much I listened to the Offspring but dang.  

I played Nimrod on a loop for 48 hours and I still can't dethrown them from my most listened band.

I like the new stuff too. A lot. 

I love the idea of “in the ashes of Green Day 89-2021.”

I love all Green Day and all the eras for different reasons and one way or another but the evolution of Green Day is what I love the most. 

I am most happy when Green Day releases new music and tries new things.

If we wanted the old stuff we have the old stuff. It’s there to listen to and enjoy whenever. But it’s looking back. A mixed set list is great of new and old and showing the diversity and evolution of Green Day is amazing.

I am so happy when there’s a new Green Day release. I love how they’re surprising and intriguing. I hope they always keep us guessing and keep the discussion about the music fun, fresh and passionate. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

30 minutes ago, Clockwise said:

We already got a COVID concept album, it's called Money Money 2020 Pt. 2.

Kinda true but it was also a Trump Sucks concept album and a general political/social turmoil album. Still lots to be said--unfortunately.

59 minutes ago, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

I like the new stuff too. A lot. 

I love the idea of “in the ashes of Green Day 89-2021.”

I love all Green Day and all the eras for different reasons and one way or another but the evolution of Green Day is what I love the most. 

I am most happy when Green Day releases new music and tries new things.

If we wanted the old stuff we have the old stuff. It’s there to listen to and enjoy whenever. But it’s looking back. A mixed set list is great of new and old and showing the diversity and evolution of Green Day is amazing.

I am so happy when there’s a new Green Day release. I love how they’re surprising and intriguing. I hope they always keep us guessing and keep the discussion about the music fun, fresh and passionate. 

I hope they make another 16-18 song album that’s like 50 minutes to an hour long. FOAM was way too short

• Like 4

3 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

I hope they make another 16-18 song album that’s like 50 minutes to an hour long. FOAM was way too short

I'm totally fine with them making an album that's under a half hour if it's a half hour of good music. FOAM struggles to reach the 15 minute mark in terms of good songs and even the good songs have some issues imo

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I'm totally fine with them making an album that's under a half hour if it's a half hour of good music. FOAM struggles to reach the 15 minute mark in terms of good songs and even the good songs have some issues imo

What kind of issues are you thinking of?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

21stCB is the perfect example of what I want. 

Totally!!! I wonder if Butch Vig will ever produce another Green Day album

• Like 1

I like 21CB, It's their best in production terms, but I think It's too long. I always got a bit tired when I listen entirely.

An album with 13 tracks is perfect for me.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, legendary said:

I like 21CB, It's their best in production terms, but I think It's too long. I always got a bit tired when I listen entirely.

I would love to hear more epic 10 minute medleys!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, legendary said:

57 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

I would love to hear more epic 10 minute medleys!!!

I want a long album! Ten minute medleys! Three minute power pop songs! Everything! 

FOAM was so short. I think 21CBD was good because it wasn’t as daunting as a double or triple album but still had a lot going on. It’s not my fav album by a longshot but I appreciate the length and amount of songs and Butch Vig. I don’t want anymore rock operas or concept albums that sound like forced to fit a specific storyline. American Idiot happened. It was beautiful and inspired and inspiring and Green Day evolved as they should. To try to do something else like that would probably sound forced.

I like collections of songs that kind of don’t fit anywhere but feel fun and real and are sort of like unedited/unauthorized biographies. I want a Trilogy vibe with all sorts of stories and dabbles in genres but something not too long or as excruciatingly short as FOAM. I was so excited for FOAM and it came out it was so short I thought part of it was missing.

Rev Rad was a bit like that too but the songs made me feel a little sad. The honesty of some of them were very bittersweet. It was like a different chapter in time. I like the next era with the Longshot songwriting.

The FOAM era is over. New songs are coming. I’m excited to see what happens next.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

I want a long album! Ten minute medleys! Three minute power pop songs! Everything! 

FOAM was so short. I think 21CBD was good because it wasn’t as daunting as a double or triple album but still had a lot going on. It’s not my fav album by a longshot but I appreciate the length and amount of songs and Butch Vig. I don’t want anymore rock operas or concept albums that sound like forced to fit a specific idea. I want a Trilogy vibe with all sorts of stories and dabbles in genres but something not too long or as excruciatingly short as FOAM. I was so excited for FOAM and it came out it was so short I thought part of it was missing.

It wouldn’t be forced. Billie writes what’s on his mind, in his heart! 9/11 happened, the War on Terror happened, the Iraq War happened, and we got American Idiot, one of the greatest albums of all time!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

It wouldn’t be forced. Billie writes what’s on his mind, in his heart! 9/11 happened, the War on Terror happened, the Iraq War happened, and we got American Idiot, one of the greatest albums of all time!

If it happens naturally that’s wonderful. If it’s forcing to recreate that sort of record: no.

My comment was a little confusing. I meant I don’t want them to force recreating something they’ve already done because people wish they would. 

American Idiot is one of the greatest albums of all time. Like if someone suggests they’d want an album like American Idiot you just can’t. I felt like 21stCBD wasn’t that great. It was a beautiful record but meanwhile I think it was troublesome to make and they seemed to be having a lot more fun and heart with the Foxboro Hot Tubs and the Stop, Drop and Roll album on the side.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

As great as 21CB was, I don't think they want to do anything like that again, largely because of how hard it was to make that album. I think they'll always make political songs as long as they're making new music (every green day project since AI has had at least 1 political song) but I think they're probably done with the whole rock opera concept thing. But who knows, maybe Billie will feel like he wants to make another one at some point in the future

I just thought now would be the perfect time

17 hours ago, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

FOAM was so short. I think 21CBD was good because it wasn’t as daunting as a double or triple album but still had a lot going on. It’s not my fav album by a longshot but I appreciate the length and amount of songs and Butch Vig. I don’t want anymore rock operas or concept albums that sound like forced to fit a specific storyline. American Idiot happened. It was beautiful and inspired and inspiring and Green Day evolved as they should. To try to do something else like that would probably sound forced.

I like collections of songs that kind of don’t fit anywhere but feel fun and real and are sort of like unedited/unauthorized biographies. I want a Trilogy vibe with all sorts of stories and dabbles in genres but something not too long or as excruciatingly short as FOAM. I was so excited for FOAM and it came out it was so short I thought part of it was missing.

Rev Rad was a bit like that too but the songs made me feel a little sad. The honesty of some of them were very bittersweet. It was like a different chapter in time. I like the next era with the Longshot songwriting.

The FOAM era is over. New songs are coming. I’m excited to see what happens next.

I would love to hear more lush string arrangements!!! Like on ¡TRÉ!, the string arrangements on Brutal Love and The Forgotten are just beautiful!!!

• Love 1

• AlissaGoesRAWR changed the title to 1972 project speculation thread
  • AlissaGoesRAWR locked this topic
  • BeachBum unlocked this topic