1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

25 minutes ago, jengd said:

Are record sales relevant at all anymore is what I mean, sorry for not being clearer.

I‘m including streams as well. I just mean that I really wish that Green Day gets more relevant and more air play again. So one more great selling album would help a lot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Flashback said:

Yes finally!!! But honestly, does Green Day still want to sell records? January and February are probably the worst months to sell albums so why are they doing it now? 🙄

25 minutes ago, jengd said:

Are record sales relevant at all anymore is what I mean, sorry for not being clearer.

January is definitely the worst, being right after Christmas. But sales probably start picking up again in February and March. Remember, FOAM was released on February 7, 2020

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GDFan2019 said:

January is definitely the worst, being right after Christmas. But sales probably start picking up again in February and March. Remember, FOAM was released on February 7, 2020

Yeah I remember and the sales figures weren‘t good at all :(

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Flashback said:

Yeah I remember and the sales figures weren‘t good at all :(

I wonder if they did that purposely to sabotage Warner

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flashback said:

I‘m including streams as well. I just mean that I really wish that Green Day gets more relevant and more air play again. So one more great selling album would help a lot.

If you want to have a successful album nowadays, streaming is pretty much the only thing that matters. And Green Day haven't been doing that well in terms of streaming numbers. 

3 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

I wonder if they did that purposely to sabotage Warner

No

• Like 1

What a great surprise! I'm not sure of what I think about that song clip at the end. It's so hard to judge such a short clip, but I hope they're not still stuck on that 50s/60s retro sound like on FOAM. 

• Like 3

@That Dude where is your fake tracklist? I need it from you!! Maybe a song called Bratwurst this time??

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

@That Dude where is your fake tracklist? I need it from you!! Maybe a song called Bratwurst this time??

Just when I got out, they pull me back in. 

You know how Pollyanna had the hot dog cover?  The Bratwurst single will have an overly optimistic person on the cover.  

Other songs will include:

Pretty Pink Turtle

Best of Times

King Done Died

Out of Gas

Impaled You

Green Day is Sandy

They Can hear you scream in space, they just don't care (hemisphere volume one) 

Alien Breed

Tarzan Mummies From The Reprise

Zac

Deaf

You Were Saying

In The Summer Heat

Paper Lighthouse

The Song

Marie 0

Stupid Good

Stupid Epic

and finally, Hella Mega.

Their focus on their biggest hits will heavily influence this album,  with just enough new blood to apease us weirdos.

They Can Hear You Scream will be 7:77 on the album, but will be released as a single that is 30 minutes long.  It will also go into detail about what Christian and the protagonist of Haha You're dead are up to....

They formed a band who have a song called Viva LA Network and...

that's it.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Just listened to that tease and love it! Sounds like some good hard rock. I think the 1972 is a reference of course to the year they were all born but also specifically to Billie's birthday. He did suggest earlier that something big was coming for his birthday, and I have a feeling this is it.

As far as album sales, I agree that sales of mostly everything tend to drop of after Christmas, but also winter feels like a good time to sit inside and listen to music. Maybe this album will make a good Valentine's Day gift LOL. As others have suggested though, a lot of people tend to get their music through streaming and thus album sales are less relevant regardless of time of year, though vinyl is a hot seller. We shall see.

32 minutes ago, jengd said:

@That Dude honestly, I could believe some of these titles 😂

Bsides include Creep in the Past, Temper Snaps, Color Me Stupid and One Light / One Mind. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, That Dude said:

Just when I got out, they pull me back in. 

You know how Pollyanna had the hot dog cover?  The Bratwurst single will have an overly optimistic person on the cover.  

Other songs will include:

Pretty Pink Turtle

Best of Times

King Done Died

Out of Gas

Impaled You

Green Day is Sandy

They Can hear you scream in space, they just don't care (hemisphere volume one) 

Alien Breed

Tarzan Mummies From The Reprise

Zac

Deaf

You Were Saying

In The Summer Heat

Paper Lighthouse

The Song

Marie 0

Stupid Good

Stupid Epic

and finally, Hella Mega.

Their focus on their biggest hits will heavily influence this album,  with just enough new blood to apease us weirdos.

They Can Hear You Scream will be 7:77 on the album, but will be released as a single that is 30 minutes long.  It will also go into detail about what Christian and the protagonist of Haha You're dead are up to....

They formed a band who have a song called Viva LA Network and...

that's it.

I am very upset about the lack of Baja Blast. 🤣

17 minutes ago, Lady Mix-A-Lot said:

I am very upset about the lack of Baja Blast. 🤣

Out of Gas is actually Out of Gas (Baja Blast)

has the rapid fire delivery of Its the end of the world as we know it by REM.

Out of Gas / Baja Blast 

Taco Bell but I'm in heaven 

multiple my soul and heart 

by the number 7

On 12/18/2021 at 12:53 PM, Lady Mix-A-Lot said:

Not sure about no instruments LOL, but for some reason I feel like Billie could write a really compelling song about Mountain Dew. 🤣

Oh ! The cover!  It will be a painting of Pukey the Unicorn chugging a Mountain Dew!  It's why he is pukey, he drinks too much MD.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bakabanas said:

Cool. That means new Green Day music in 2022!

Before. When the official band account posts, new music is imminent.

• Like 2

Nimrod was originally envisioned as a double album that would caption many different examples of what Green Day could do or say.

It's time for that idea to be created.  

13 songs on one side, 14 on the other. 

Every one is wildly different, with only one song that is a 'standard Green Day's.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, That Dude said:

Nimrod was originally envisioned as a double album that would caption many different examples of what Green Day could do or say.

It's time for that idea to be created.  

13 songs on one side, 14 on the other. 

Every one is wildly different, with only one song that is a 'standard Green Day's.

I don't think another GD album will exceed 12 songs (and I also don't WANT it). I think that's the golden number for them. Anything beyond that makes me nervous about the songwriting process

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Zebahar said:

I don't think another GD album will exceed 12 songs (and I also don't WANT it). I think that's the golden number for them. Anything beyond that makes me nervous about the songwriting process

American Idiot had 13 songs, or technically 21 if you break up JOS and Homecoming

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

We got 10 songs last time with questionable songwriting I don’t think there’s any magic number

Two of their albums have 18 songs: Nimrod & 21st Century Breakdown. And both of those albums are considered to be top 5 Green Day albums

• Like 4

Wow... Well, it certainly took a while, but goddamnit, I'm actually really excited again! In fact, last time I was this excited must have been during the whole traumatic MOOTIK experience. 

Whatever it is (and their trailers are unfortunately known to be hideously unrepresentative), it sounds good! 

Kinda reminds me a little bit of that sax part in Homecoming actually (and that's only a good thing). 

I think, if this indeed to be an EP/Album or even just a stand alone release, there are two more or less realistic options: 

1) Their sound sticks somewhat to the FOAM formula

2) They keep the classic rock throwback vibe, but it's an improvement over FOAM, with some Longshot and FBHT vibes once again, but some new sounds also, perhaps even with a hint of 2000-2004 Green Day in there, who knows...

• Like 4

Now that we know something’s coming, whether it be a full length album or the rumored EP, anyone think they’ll shadow drop a single on Christmas Eve like they did in 2015 with Xmas Time of the Year?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Two of their albums have 18 songs: Nimrod & 21st Century Breakdown. And both of those albums are considered to be top 5 Green Day albums

That is true, but didn't Billie have issues with the writing process of both albums? I think it was Cuatro where he said Nimrod was a lyrical nightmare for him because he wrote most of them in the studio, and also in Cuatro is where he said after 21CB, they desperately needed a break. 

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

We got 10 songs last time with questionable songwriting I don’t think there’s any magic number

But that's not 12 songs ;) 

1 hour ago, Zebahar said:

I'll make you a deal....13. 

• AlissaGoesRAWR changed the title to 1972 project speculation thread
  • AlissaGoesRAWR locked this topic
  • BeachBum unlocked this topic