1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

24 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I get the sense Billie is tired of Green Day being mischaracterized as a political band. He never intended to AI to be overtly political, like every other album it was meant to be about his own feelings and where he was emotionally at that time. Politics factored into it as a setting or a backdrop to fill out the statement he was making about how it made people feel.  But it also pigeon holed them as a political band and he’s been fighting against that label ever since.  

I thought he was kinda putting on a persona for FOAM. Like the way he said he hates long songs, that’s not the real Billie!

6 minutes ago, greendepent said:

I think is the opposite. They won't make another Breakdown because they had a big chunk of stress making the record, pulling every string and polishing every detail. If being socially aware is being political, then they were political from the very beginning. Politics is not only related to politicians, is how, where we live, what you have to do to eat a meal at the end of the day. How we interact together. Political elites have made everything possible to bruise people and looking away from politicians, just to make things easier for them. In that sense, I bet he is more tired of speaking his mind, his convictions, his soul, to trying to make a change, to make people giving a shit. And it didn't happen. Probably it won't.

If he would stop making social commentary, then RevRad shouldn't exist. And then, in that record, he wrote the most deep song that I have seen from that guy: "What's good about love and peace on earth, when it's exclusive?" "What part of history we've learned, when it's repeated?"

FOAM is full of political statements too. Not gonna mention MM2020pt2. Is not like "Fuck x politician". Is more like "I have tried almost anything to make this a better place, and it is not working"

Do you remember? "Ain't funny how we're running of hope" If Billie is tired to be in a political/social band, he would have stopped long time ago and enjoy his millions. But guess what, he can't. And it's painful to me, as is from a lot of us. But that is the reality we live in, and I'm super grateful to have him to put music in this apocalypse :)

Graffitia too!!!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

I thought he was kinda putting on a persona for FOAM. Like the way he said he hates long songs, that’s not the real Billie!

I keep seeing this quote everywhere. When Billie mentioned he hates long songs, he was talking about long songs in albums, favoring short songs (max 3 minutes) over 8 minute songs. They still do love performing Jesus of Suburbia way too much and actually, they played Father of All 2 times in a row right after doing that interview where this quote originated from, citing that FOA was too short!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Miko said:

I keep seeing this quote everywhere. When Billie mentioned he hates long songs, he was talking about long songs in albums, favoring short songs (max 3 minutes) over 8 minute songs. They still do love performing Jesus of Suburbia way too much and actually, they played Father of All 2 times in a row right after doing that interview where this quote originated from, citing that FOA was too short!

Oh yeah I remember that!!! But I’m sure he’ll write another long one when the time is right

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Miko said:

I’m not 100% sure but did Billie Joe say Jesus of Suburbia is his fav Green Day song? Or favorite to play live? Either way, he loves that song from what I recall but I don’t remember the source.

• Like 1

Just now, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

I’m not 100% sure but did Billie Joe say Jesus of Suburbia is his fav Green Day song? Or favorite to play live? Either way, he loves that song from what I recall but I don’t remember the source.

Billie Joe loves to change his opinion when it comes to his favorite songs, but as far as I know, Jesus of Suburbia is the one he has mentioned more than other songs so it's safe to assume that's his favorite to this day. As of X album favorite songs, from Kerplunk it was Who Wrote Holden Caulfield (said on AAF live release) and from Dookie he has cited She as his favorite song (some interview that I cant recall right now). 99 Revolutions got a lot of praise during his post-rehab interview, citing it as one of the best songs he has ever written. I don't recall him ever mentioning his favorites off from 21st CB, Revolution Radio and FOAM, but my guesses would be Last Night on Earth (no particular reason other than its for his wife), Forever Now (hard to see him favoring any other song over Forever Now from that album) and Graffitia (it was featured on his podcast episode).

To be fair, Jesus of Suburbia and Homecoming are both just 5 short songs included in 1 track. And even their other long/multi-part songs are just multiple songs in 1 like American Eulogy, Forever Now and Dirty Rotten Bastards even. I think when he talks about not liking long songs, he might be talking about 21 Guns or Oh Love which are 5 minute songs but don't have multiple separate sections

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

He's said multiple times, but this is the most recent. Sorry, I don't have time to find the exact spot where he answers it, but it's within the first 30 minutes of the video

• Like 2

While I was looking for the exact quote Billie Joe did about long songs, I stumbled around to some article from April where he cites Jesus of Suburbia (and She?) as ''the best Green Day song''.

https://www.vulture.com/article/interview-billie-joe-armstrong-green-day-history.html

EDIT: Found it, it was from Kerrang's interview https://www.kerrang.com/green-days-new-album-is-like-nothing-youve-seen-before

“I’ve decided that I don’t like long songs,” the frontman reveals today with a knowing chuckle and a twinkle in his eye, “and that’s coming from a band that wrote [the nine-minute-long] Jesus Of Suburbia! I’m like a 16-year-old with ADHD. If I’m listening to other people’s music, I always look at how long the song is. If it’s over three minutes I go, ‘Urgh, pass. I don’t wanna listen to that shit.’”

''He leans forward, throws up his hands and shouts to comedic effect.

“Who has time for that?!”''

• Like 3

Ay this point... Seeing what happened with FOAM, pollyana and all New stuff... I prefer them to open the vault and give us all live recordings, cover songs (surrender/bastard of Young, dancing with myself, kiss me deadly, sometimes i don't mind, etc) they use to play, b-sides, alternate versions. I would like a box set with allí that more than a New álbum with claps and glam rock

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greendepent said:

I think is the opposite. They won't make another Breakdown because they had a big chunk of stress making the record, pulling every string and polishing every detail. If being socially aware is being political, then they were political from the very beginning. Politics is not only related to politicians, is how, where we live, what you have to do to eat a meal at the end of the day. How we interact together. Political elites have made everything possible to bruise people and looking away from politicians, just to make things easier for them. In that sense, I bet he is more tired of speaking his mind, his convictions, his soul, to trying to make a change, to make people giving a shit. And it didn't happen. Probably it won't.

If he would stop making social commentary, then RevRad shouldn't exist. And then, in that record, he wrote the most deep song that I have seen from that guy: "What's good about love and peace on earth, when it's exclusive?" "What part of history we've learned, when it's repeated?"

FOAM is full of political statements too. Not gonna mention MM2020pt2. Is not like "Fuck x politician". Is more like "I have tried almost anything to make this a better place, and it is not working"

Do you remember? "Ain't funny how we're running of hope" If Billie is tired to be in a political/social band, he would have stopped long time ago and enjoy his millions. But guess what, he can't. And it's painful to me, as is from a lot of us. But that is the reality we live in, and I'm super grateful to have him to put music in this apocalypse :)

I guess what I'm saying is to him social commentary is not politics it's just life.  Everything you say is true, but it's the definition and expectation that others place on him that he fights against, this idea that Green Day is the band to be expected to have an opinion on every political issue going forward.  I think he writes as the mood strikes him but defies expectations and that's one of them.

• Love 1

42 minutes ago, That Dude said:

Because Desensitized just might be the greatest song of all time

Definitely up there with some of my other fave Green Day songs 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, That Dude said:

It would cause some confusion, but can we get a studio album called Shenanigans?   

Because Desensitized just might be the greatest song of all time.  

I guess they could do it backward and call it Snaginanehs.    Like a reverse b-sides would be like a all a-sides or something?  

How about Bloody Shenanigans?  

Shenanigans and Valentines? 

Polyanigans?  

I don't know.   I just love Shenanigans so much and no other band has a b-side collection like it.    Shenanigans should have been a studio album and DUI should have been on it.   

SHENANIGANS!!!!!!!!!!

Piss Shenanigans! Sorry, I have created a monster LOL.

2 hours ago, greendepent said:

Agreed. Billie has always written social commentary since he started writing songs, and that will never change. We see it now as "political" because everything has become "political," including a lot of things that shouldn't be. I am confident that Billie will continue to write about what is important to him and what matches his values, and I am looking forward to that.

1 hour ago, Gonzalo17 said:

Ay this point... Seeing what happened with FOAM, pollyana and all New stuff... I prefer them to open the vault and give us all live recordings, cover songs (surrender/bastard of Young, dancing with myself, kiss me deadly, sometimes i don't mind, etc) they use to play, b-sides, alternate versions. I would like a box set with allí that more than a New álbum with claps and glam rock

How about something similar to The Beatles Anthology, with pre-fame demos (including 5 year old Billie’s Look For Love), studio outtakes, previously unreleased songs, live recordings, and interview exerpts.

• Like 4

Green Day fans are so diverse. Basically whatever they do someone is going to start whining about it and it’ll probably start a division among fans as usual. That’s fine. As long as the music is interesting and new and the band is happy.

I hope whatever they do next is really and truly what they want to do and not what they think they should do.

I hope the next record they do it for themselves and they love it.

Glam rock and hand claps if they please. As long as it comes with a small club tour too along with the stadiums. And if they are taking suggestions I love rock’n’roll and glam punk so bad that’s cool if they wanna lean that way ❤️ but I’ll be happy any way they go as long as it makes them happy too. Plus, rock was all “dead” or whatever 🙄 and now it seems to be coming back hard because it is so good and I am so excited for the new era! Green Day! Rock’n’roll hall of fame icons! 

So excited for whatever comes next whatever it is.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

Green Day fans are so diverse. Basically whatever they do someone is going to start whining about it and it’ll probably start a division among fans as usual. That’s fine. As long as the music is interesting and new and the band is happy.

I hope whatever they do next is really and truly what they want to do and not what they think they should do.

I hope the next record they do it for themselves and they love it.

Glam rock and hand claps if they please. As long as it comes with a small club tour too along with the stadiums. And if they are taking suggestions I love rock’n’roll and glam punk so bad that’s cool if they wanna lean that way ❤️ but I’ll be happy any way they go as long as it makes them happy too. Plus, rock was all “dead” or whatever 🙄 and now it seems to be coming back hard because it is so good and I am so excited for the new era! Green Day! Rock’n’roll hall of fame icons! 

So excited for whatever comes next whatever it is.

Could not agree more 👏👏

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I was just thinking, like the Trilogy, do you think they’ll ever record another album with Jason White as an official member?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GDFan2019 said:

I was just thinking, like the Trilogy, do you think they’ll ever record another album with Jason White as an official member?

Honestly, I hope not. I love Jason and all the other touring members, but Green Day IS Billie, Mike, and Tre.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

7 hours ago, Q-Man said:

Honestly, I hope not. I love Jason and all the other touring members, but Green Day IS Billie, Mike, and Tre.

I wouldn't mind Jason coming back to record at all. I think the guitar work on the trilogy was good, the guitar solos were great by Green Day standards. Idk how much that had to do with Jason (idk if he just played guitar or if he wrote any of the guitar for the albums) but at the least I assume it would've taken some of the pressure or burden off Billie to write/record all the guitar parts of the trilogy

• Like 3

This gets harder everytime. 

Neon Trees put through an AC/DC filter while making a children's album for adults.

Ridiculous guitar solos through the choruses and a song about being lonely. 

Too September To End is the new addition to sad Green Day tunes and Mike and Tre both play additional stupid guitar solos.

Before each of these 47 guitar solos by the guys, Billie screams 'Do it freaking right!"

Oh and we finally get a studio version of Chocolate Rain.

Van Gough plays bass and does vocals on one track, but the song sounds bad on purpose.  Like Van Gough is losing his battle with....everything.

The albums concept ends vaguely, leaving it open as to whether or not Doctow Who saves Van Gough or not and Fink definitely dies.

• Like 1

• AlissaGoesRAWR changed the title to 1972 project speculation thread
  • AlissaGoesRAWR locked this topic
  • BeachBum unlocked this topic