1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

I obviously don't think that the Sweet Children pic will be the album cover but maybe they're inferring that the genre/style will be more like their roots? Possibly a more rough sound or something. Would love to hear a Kerplunk Pt. 2 haha.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

I obviously don't think that the Sweet Children pic will be the album cover but maybe they're inferring that the genre/style will be more like their roots? Possibly a more rough sound or something. Would love to hear a Kerplunk Pt. 2 haha.

Sweet Children would be a good album title

• Like 1

We do need to get back to the one word album title, maybe even change the others.    Smooth.   Idiot.  Breakdown.   Radio.  Mofos.

The next album could be....

Alcazar....

The cover will be Billie Joe in a beautiful dress, standing atop a castle.   

Down below, Tre and Mike are being attached by The Network and the Tubbies in a sprawling image that harkens back to the Dookie cover.   It's actually designed by the same artist, while Billie is photographed by the Warning photographer.   

On the back a weather statue of liberty is tossing Billie Joe's heart into the city by the bay.   

• Like 2

On 12/10/2021 at 10:11 PM, Doggins said:

Sounds epic. And too real to be fake,  nobody would go to so much effort

I think the most likely scenario of the 6 songs recorded in UK will be a new BBC Sessions

But the new Sweet Children cover art is very intriguing! Hope it is unreleased stuff but I doubt they recorded very much back then it's not like they had the budget

Maybe a Gilman live vinyl or something.

HOLY SHIT IMAGINE HEARING THE KALX CONCERT IN 4K AUDIO ON SPOTIFY AND VINYL

On 12/10/2021 at 10:40 PM, Redundantuserjinxboy said:

I can't wait for them to cover songs off of 1000Smooth. Really dying to hear what Butch Walker does with them

I'll be brutally honest I'm really not but everyone has different opinions

• Like 2

12 hours ago, That Dude said:

We do need to get back to the one word album title, maybe even change the others.    Smooth.   Idiot.  Breakdown.   Radio.  Mofos.

Stop Drop & Roll ---> Stdroll
Love is For Losers ---> Lovers
Money Money 2020 ---> Money
Money Money 2020 Pt II ---> Money2

Not that Green Day had anything to do with The Network albums at all... 😐

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lost Boy said:

This is a possibility. I agree this must have some sort of meaning, either a release of their earliest stuff or some stuff in a similar style. It is also really possible that we get leftover FOAM stuff as others have suggested. Most likely we will get multiple releases, which we can't complain about. We have been so spoiled with an embarrassment of Green Day riches lately. ❤️ 

40 minutes ago, Tre's Busted Drumkit said:

Based on what ended up being released on FOAM, I'm not really sure I want to hear the outtakes.

I still hope for a straight punk rock album, kicking back to the days of Dookie, Insomniac and Nimrod. No sweeping 7-minute epics, no politics, just a return to that gritty, hard punk rock sound.

I get where you are coming from, but I suspect what was left off FOAM may have been the best stuff LOL. I mean, the singles were the weakest part of the album. The rest of it was much better (and would have been even better with a little less production). Also, I suspect a lot of MM2020II was FOAM outtakes, including Art of the Deal with Devil, and that song and many others were far better than most of FOAM. So there may be some surprisingly good stuff kicking around that is much better than the actual album. Heck, even Holy Toledo is much better than most of FOAM, and there are suggestions that was an outtake as well.

Anyway, I also love the punk sound and would love to hear more of it, but as a very politically engaged person, I personally want to hear that sound matched with some very political lyrics. There is so much that needs to be said right now, and I imagine Billie must be dying to say it. 

36 minutes ago, Tre's Busted Drumkit said:

Based on what ended up being released on FOAM, I'm not really sure I want to hear the outtakes.

I still hope for a straight punk rock album, kicking back to the days of Dookie, Insomniac and Nimrod. No sweeping 7-minute epics, no politics, just a return to that gritty, hard punk rock sound.

You already heard the outtakes, they were released on MM2020pt2 and honestly they are better than what was chosen for FOAM. Billie often has a habit of throwing away his best songs on side projects

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

You already heard the outtakes, they were released on MM2020pt2 and honestly they are better than what was chosen for FOAM. Billie often has a habit of throwing away his best songs on side projects

How do you know if the outtakes were released on MM2020pt2? I mean, I imagine they wrote a lot of the stuff before the release of FOAMF but I imagine anything they didn't include on FOAMF was largely because it didn't fit on the album more than not being good enough for the album. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

How do you know if the outtakes were released on MM2020pt2? I mean, I imagine they wrote a lot of the stuff before the release of FOAMF but I imagine anything they didn't include on FOAMF was largely because it didn't fit on the album more than not being good enough for the album. 

Well, we already know Art of the Deal with the Devil was an outtake from FOAM, but I can't speak to other songs. I think you are right though that it was more an issue of lack of fit more than not being good. I bet there is some really good stuff kicking around that says some important stuff too.

42 minutes ago, Lady Mix-A-Lot said:

I get where you are coming from, but I suspect what was left off FOAM may have been the best stuff LOL. I mean, the singles were the weakest part of the album. The rest of it was much better (and would have been even better with a little less production). Also, I suspect a lot of MM2020II was FOAM outtakes, including Art of the Deal with Devil, and that song and many others were far better than most of FOAM. So there may be some surprisingly good stuff kicking around that is much better than the actual album. Heck, even Holy Toledo is much better than most of FOAM, and there are suggestions that was an outtake as well.

Anyway, I also love the punk sound and would love to hear more of it, but as a very politically engaged person, I personally want to hear that sound matched with some very political lyrics. There is so much that needs to be said right now, and I imagine Billie must be dying to say it. 

I Was A Teenage Teenager was actually by far the weakest part of the album imo

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I Was A Teenage Teenager was actually by far the weakest part of the album imo

It wasn't the best but I think it was better than some of the singles, especially Fire Ready Aim. The frustrating thing about the album is that a lot of really good songs got ruined by really shitty production. Like FRA is a great song about the abusive culture of social media and how everyone just wants to get off on attacking other people, but that got lost under a really repetitive sound and annoying claps LOL. Same with Graffitia: great and needed song about police violence that got lost under weird sound effects and claps. I really like Sugar Youth and Take the Money and Crawl. Junkies on a High is also a deep song with a pretty good sound. 

38 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Others are free to disagree, but I conclude it based on the fact that at least one is a confirmed outtake (Art of the Deal of the Devil), they said they had 7 extra songs that would eventually be heard and that they would likely release something else by summer (which in hindsight probably means The Network album since they didn’t release them as Green Day like they implied) and if they had 7 unused songs and definitely used one of them why would they scrap the other six and write the Network album from scratch when they are always reusing old material for albums? Even FOAM contained a reworked song from These Paper Bullets.  Occam’s Razor tells me most if not all seven of those songs ended up with The Network.  Tell me Degenerate with its funky groove and falsetto didn’t come out of the FOAM session for example. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Lost Boy said:

They already released Kerplunk Pt. 2 - it’s called ¡UNO!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lady Mix-A-Lot said:

It wasn't the best but I think it was better than some of the singles, especially Fire Ready Aim. The frustrating thing about the album is that a lot of really good songs got ruined by really shitty production. Like FRA is a great song about the abusive culture of social media and how everyone just wants to get off on attacking other people, but that got lost under a really repetitive sound and annoying claps LOL. Same with Graffitia: great and needed song about police violence that got lost under weird sound effects and claps. I really like Sugar Youth and Take the Money and Crawl. Junkies on a High is also a deep song with a pretty good sound. 

I just despise IWATT. Like, it starts off with bass/vocals but the bass is the most basic bassline ever, like usually when the bass is the only or leading instrument in a song, it's usually a bit more complex, the vocals sound weird and the lyrics are just kinda nonsense. Then the chorus is just generic, and then the 2nd verse lyrics is just a repeat of the first (but this song still has the nerve to be the longest song on the album) and then we get a mediocre guitar solo

41 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Others are free to disagree, but I conclude it based on the fact that at least one is a confirmed outtake (Art of the Deal of the Devil), they said they had 7 extra songs that would eventually be heard and that they would likely release something else by summer (which in hindsight probably means The Network album since they didn’t release them as Green Day like they implied) and if they had 7 unused songs and definitely used one of them why would they scrap the other six and write the Network album from scratch when they are always reusing old material for albums? Even FOAM contained a reworked song from These Paper Bullets.  Occam’s Razor tells me most if not all seven of those songs ended up with The Network.  Tell me Degenerate with its funky groove and falsetto didn’t come out of the FOAM session for example. 

Well we all know that just because Billie says something, doesn't mean that it's gonna happen. Remember when they said there would be a video for Forever Now? Also, I think the whole "releasing another album with these songs" was likely forgotten about once the pandemic came. They probably didn't want to release another batch of Green Day songs that they wouldn't be able to perform live until several months later (by which point, many fans wouldn't care all that much to hear them). Like, I don't see any reason to think that all 7, or even most, of the tracks appeared on The Network album. Also, I think Here Comes The Shock was probably an outtake from FOAMF

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lady Mix-A-Lot said:

I think Art of the Deal With the Devil was simply retitled Take The Money and Crawl. It’s obvious Bulletproof Backpack became Oh Yeah, based on the lyric, “Burning books in a bulletproof backpack!”

2 hours ago, Tre's Busted Drumkit said:

I keep thinking that after everything that’s recently happened (Covid, BLM, the election, and the overall political unrest), we need a new rock opera with a strong political statement!!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I just despise IWATT. Like, it starts off with bass/vocals but the bass is the most basic bassline ever, like usually when the bass is the only or leading instrument in a song, it's usually a bit more complex, the vocals sound weird and the lyrics are just kinda nonsense. Then the chorus is just generic, and then the 2nd verse lyrics is just a repeat of the first (but this song still has the nerve to be the longest song on the album) and then we get a mediocre guitar solo.

I see what you mean, but I think this was some of the point. It really isn't supposed to make sense. The song and the album at large is about being lost and depressed and trying to escape from all the bullshit in the world via self-destructive behavior. It's a timely album that became even more timely after the pandemic started. I just wish it had been produced much better because the message got lost under the overproduction. I do agree with what you said that they may also have some leftover stuff that they may have planned to release earlier and then shelved due to the pandemic, and some of those have probably been leaking out lately as singles. This is probably also why they never played anything from FOAM on tour; it had largely been forgotten about by the public by then, and so they just went with the hits everyone knows (plus they had to share their time with two other bands).

36 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

I keep thinking that after everything that’s recently happened (Covid, BLM, the election, and the overall political unrest), we need a new rock opera with a strong political statement!!!

Covid - I think many artists are going to be writing about covid during the next couple years. I mean, what can Billie say about the pandemic that he or others haven't already said

BLM - BLM inspired the title track on RevRad and Graffitia talks about black kids getting shot by cops. Not saying he can't write about BLM more but it would have to be written differently as to not sound repetitive

The Election - Well since it was Biden and not Trump that won the election, idk if I see this happening. Obviously the democrats aren't good either, but I don't see Billie writing a song about Joe Biden, and since Trump is out of office, another song about him seems redundant

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I just despise IWATT. Like, it starts off with bass/vocals but the bass is the most basic bassline ever, like usually when the bass is the only or leading instrument in a song, it's usually a bit more complex, the vocals sound weird and the lyrics are just kinda nonsense. Then the chorus is just generic, and then the 2nd verse lyrics is just a repeat of the first (but this song still has the nerve to be the longest song on the album) and then we get a mediocre guitar solo

Well we all know that just because Billie says something, doesn't mean that it's gonna happen. Remember when they said there would be a video for Forever Now? Also, I think the whole "releasing another album with these songs" was likely forgotten about once the pandemic came. They probably didn't want to release another batch of Green Day songs that they wouldn't be able to perform live until several months later (by which point, many fans wouldn't care all that much to hear them). Like, I don't see any reason to think that all 7, or even most, of the tracks appeared on The Network album. Also, I think Here Comes The Shock was probably an outtake from FOAMF

2 minutes ago, Lady Mix-A-Lot said:

I see what you mean, but I think this was some of the point. It really isn't supposed to make sense. The song and the album at large is about being lost and depressed and trying to escape from all the bullshit in the world via self-destructive behavior. It's a timely album that became even more timely after the pandemic started. I just wish it had been produced much better because the message got lost under the overproduction. I do agree with what you said that they may also have some leftover stuff that they may have planned to release earlier and then shelved due to the pandemic, and some of those have probably been leaking out lately as singles. This is probably also why they never played anything from FOAM on tour; it had largely been forgotten about by the public by then, and so they just went with the hits everyone knows (plus they had to share their time with two other bands).

I don’t know if they did this purposely but it sounds like a Weezer song

• Like 2

• AlissaGoesRAWR changed the title to 1972 project speculation thread
  • AlissaGoesRAWR locked this topic
  • BeachBum unlocked this topic