NEW Green Day Song "Holy Toledo!" out Friday (5th Nov)

GuitarPunk94

2 minutes ago, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

God bless the Longshot and FBHT for covering Trilogy songs. If that’s where those songs live now that Green Day doesn’t play them I hope there’s a lot more Longshot and FBHT shows coming up. Likely (hopefully) Longshot shows since Billie Joe seems to really suit playing those types of songs with the Longshot. When was the last time there was a FBHT show?

Fuckkkkkkk I miss the Longshot.

In answer to the question at hand and my two cents on the subject: I very much doubt Green Day would ever cover the Longshot although the Longshot is amazing and the songs are full of heart and fire. The Longshot is like a special little club of awesomeness and broken-hearted sweetness. I wouldn’t mind if Green Day stayed away from Longshot songs. Green Day has gone off in a different direction. The Longshot is its own thing and borrowed the best of GD/BJA songwriting for a beautiful project. The Longshot is so good and the songs are 🔥

The Hella Mega Headliner has no room for FOAM or the Trilogy doubtful they’d cover the Longshot. Who knows though? Crazier things have happened and probably will continue to happen. I hope after the pandemic they start being surprising again. It’s been real sucky lately and pretty boring for almost a year on so many aspects of so many things in life and in fandom. 

Fuck Time started out as a FBHT song

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cav9mm said:

what a beautiful song… 

Very beautiful. This was one of the songs that might have been a Trilogy song originally? 

The Trilogy was full of beautiful stuff the ended up with the Longshot and FBHT and maybe These Paper Bullets got good elements of that too. FBHT was more fun stuff but it still had that romanticism just a little more of a party blaster set of songs. 

The Trilogy was kind of like it was trying to capture all of it in one record set. I guess it was too much to try to cram that all into one major Green Day release. It exploded in a sloppy way and wasn’t received as well as it should have been.

Thank goodness for side projects and feeding it in bite sized pieces of delicious goodness. I wish there were more Trilogy-esque releases with all the covers and bits and pieces and ideas… but not under the Green Day name so GD can release bangers that might need to percolate and rip off for their own side projects… Hence Holy Toledo (These Paper Bullets and Mother Mary references and nods) etc. Those songs and ideas and characters stand the test of time and are goldmines for songs ideas and inspiration. FBHT/These Paper Bullets and The Trilogy (and ideas from those songs) = the gift that keeps on giving. There’s a different sort theme/story line similar characters running through 21stCBD, FBHT, the Trilogy and the Longshot that feels strong like you can see the connections and where Green Day veered off in a kind of different direction (except for Holy Toledo feels very FBHT/Trilogy).

I think the songwriting structure, characters and themes of Billie Joe’s songwriting could be a course taught in a university lecture hall. Billie Joe is a creative workaholic nut with wonderful story writing skills that are sort of academic almost scientific but off the rails a bit. It’s fascinating. It’s fun trying to figure it out. I think there is rhyme to the reason. Especially before Warning I think the band was a lot messier with theme and just wrote good songs. There’s nothing wrong with that of course but I love how the band kept evolving and got even more interesting as their career progressed.

Green Day became untouchable legends at such a young age. American Idiot catapulted them to amazing heights and they keep evolving. Even if maybe it might look like a project is a fail it never really is. Never dull, never sitting down and rusting. They’re always levelling up and I feel that for the most part they don’t back down. I love this band so much!  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

Very beautiful. This was one of the songs that might have been a Trilogy song originally? 

The Trilogy was full of beautiful stuff the ended up with the Longshot and FBHT and maybe These Paper Bullets got good elements of that too. FBHT was more fun stuff but it still had that romanticism just a little more of a party blaster set of songs. 

The Trilogy was kind of like it was trying to capture all of it in one record set. I guess it was too much to try to cram that all into one major Green Day release. It exploded in a sloppy way and wasn’t received as well as it should have been.

Thank goodness for side projects and feeding it in bite sized pieces of delicious goodness. I wish there were more Trilogy-esque releases with all the covers and bits and pieces and ideas… but not under the Green Day name so GD can release bangers that might need to percolate and rip off for their own side projects… Hence Holy Toledo (These Paper Bullets and Mother Mary references and nods) etc. Those songs and ideas and characters stand the test of time and are goldmines for songs ideas and inspiration. FBHT/These Paper Bullets and The Trilogy (and ideas from those songs) = the gift that keeps on giving. There’s a different sort theme/story line similar characters running through 21stCBD, FBHT, the Trilogy and the Longshot that feels strong like you can see the connections and where Green Day veered off in a kind of different direction (except for Holy Toledo feels very FBHT/Trilogy).

I think the songwriting structure, characters and themes of Billie Joe’s songwriting could be a course taught in a university lecture hall. Billie Joe is a creative workaholic nut with wonderful story writing skills that are sort of academic almost scientific but off the rails a bit. It’s fascinating. It’s fun trying to figure it out. I think there is rhyme to the reason. Especially before Warning I think the band was a lot messier with theme and just wrote good songs. There’s nothing wrong with that of course but I love how the band kept evolving and got even more interesting as their career progressed.

Green Day became untouchable legends at such a young age. American Idiot catapulted them to amazing heights and they keep evolving. Even if maybe it might look like a project is a fail it never really is. Never dull, never sitting down and rusting. They’re always levelling up and I feel that for the most part they don’t back down. I love this band so much!  

Here’s another great song that became a TPB song. The first time I heard this, I was always hoping it would be one of their next great singles!!! Around the same time in 2010, they also played Stay the Night at soundcheck, which ended up on ¡UNO!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

36 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Here’s another great song that became a TPB song. The first time I heard this, I was always hoping it would be one of their next great singles!!! Around the same time in 2010, they also played Stay the Night at soundcheck, which ended up on ¡UNO!

THIS SONG IS SO GOOD! Ugh I listen to “Dookiefied” just for the idea of it. I hope Billie Joe releases a recorded version of Dreamcatcher sometime soon.

DREAMCATCHER IS THE BEST SONG NEVER RELEASED! It’s so good.

Thanks for sharing it ❤️

I HOPE THE LONGSHOT COVERS IT!

Longshot set lists forevahhhhhh and evereeeee if they included Stay the Night, Fell for You added Dreamcatcher along with Love is For Losers etc that would be so amazing.

DREAMCATCHER! And Oh Girl. Stick that on a Longshot set list too.

THIS: 

• Like 4

I feel really dumb because I actually had never heard of the "These Paper Bullets" play until it was mentioned here. I did listen to some of the songs and they are awesome, especially Dreamcatcher. I would like to see that one released as  green Day song because it has a great classic Green Day sound.

2 hours ago, Lady Mix-A-Lot said:

I feel really dumb because I actually had never heard of the "These Paper Bullets" play until it was mentioned here. I did listen to some of the songs and they are awesome, especially Dreamcatcher. I would like to see that one released as  green Day song because it has a great classic Green Day sound.

The play was pretty low key.

• 3 weeks later...

I LOVE THIS SONG!!! It makes me happy in a way only Green Day can :happy:  Happy vibes to dance and sing and forget the crazy world for a while.

Btw, I think it's Billie talking in the end, saying "hell yeah" or something like that??

(Also, I think the movie that has it on its soundtrack sucks. I had to watch the whole thing to know that they put it on the end credits. And I think they wrote Tré's name wrong...)

• Like 2

Today I listened to 21CB and right afterwards to Holy Toledo in the car. There‘s soooo much low end on the new GD songs, it‘s almost too much and boomy. What happened to their mixing preferences? 😂

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
26 minutes ago, J-Rem said:

It amazes me how many people don’t know about this song. Now that American Dream is out all people talk about is how much they hate FOAM and that it’s good to finally have Green Day “back” and I honestly think Holy Toledo doesn’t get the credit it deserves. This song was very fun and catchy and a big step up from what people didn’t like about FOAM.

I agree I adore this song. When it came out I played it on an endless loop it’s a lot of fun. It may be another party song but it had dynamics to it and wasn’t underwritten or repetitive. It gave me hope that good things were still to come

• Like 4

I like Holy Toledo a lot more than the American Dream single. Maybe it’ll get better with a few more listens.

Holy Toledo I loved right away and I still love it.

This chat made me go and listen again as I too had forgotten about it and it rips and it fits well with TADIKM.  Actually, so do the Foam songs which came on after Holy Toledo!

• Like 1

It's pretty good. It's the best song of the FOAM era, apart from Graffitia imo, but it's still not a great track. It's fun but the slow start could be cut out completely, the production is still just FOAMF like. Billie sounds like he did on FOAMF. The unnecessary hand claps are still there. Definitely not as good as TADIKM. At the very least, it wouldn't reassure people who didn't like FOAMF. Even the lyrics don't stand out

• Like 2